Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 15:22   #17101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Thanks to all who helped me decide with Micromax Canvas 2
Furthermore - it has 512 MB RAM - so possibility of this phone running Kitkat looks good too!
Yes, should serve you well for a backup. I'm just starting to have trouble with the 512 MB RAM - not enough

What Android version did you receive it with? Yes, I am also waiting for an update on xda to upgrade.
Old 27th November 2013, 15:38   #17102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

Yes, should serve you well for a backup. I'm just starting to have trouble with the 512 MB RAM - not enough

What Android version did you receive it with? Yes, I am also waiting for an update on xda to upgrade.
@Ram
Did you try the swap solution ( 1gb ram sounds interesting..) search link on xda.

@out of box
Received it with 4.1.2 (has jellybean sticker on box )

Thanks ,

Ace.

Edit: what custom ROM are you running?

Last edited by driverace : 27th November 2013 at 15:39.
Old 27th November 2013, 17:04   #17103
BHPian

Got an opportunity to use a friend's Nexus 5 for 2-3 minutes. Initial impressions are very good. One thing I noticed was that the phone is super light (that comes from a Samsung user). Screen was bright enough and to my liking. I think the only thing one needs to think about buying this phone is its battery life and its camera. For an average user, the camera will also be more than enough. So it all boils down to battery life in my opinion.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:55   #17104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Got an opportunity to use a friend's Nexus 5 for 2-3 minutes. Initial impressions are very good. O
Is the Nexus 5 32GB, 1 week old, used for few hours, worth Rs. 30000?
Old 27th November 2013, 18:58   #17105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is the Nexus 5 32GB, 1 week old, used for few hours, worth Rs. 30000?
wow available in second hand with in first week of launch. I would say go grab it. Its a good phone. But why its on Sale ?
Old 27th November 2013, 19:07   #17106
Senior - BHPian

^The guy claims he got it from US for using with Reliance CDMA, but that did not work. So now he will buy a CDMA version from Sprint.
But hey, I am not buying it. 5 inches is way to big for normal human hands.
Old 27th November 2013, 19:16   #17107
BHPian

Did you got a chance to grab it your hand, if not try it once, you won't feel like carrying a bigger phone. Its just perfect size for hand.

Moreover for US model, then warranty won't be there. So be careful
Old 27th November 2013, 21:02   #17108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^The guy claims he got it from US for using with Reliance CDMA, but that did not work. So now he will buy a CDMA version from Sprint.
But hey, I am not buying it. 5 inches is way to big for normal human hands.
I did not find the phone to be too big. If you are using a touch screen phone for the 1st time then you might feel like that but since I already use a 4.3 inch phone I did not find it big. It is just a matter of getting used to it.

I generally do not like buying second hand electornics but if this is your friend then you might take a look at it (Make sure there is no physical damage). I think for low to moderate usage, it would make perfect sense.
Old 27th November 2013, 21:26   #17109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not find the phone to be too big. If you are using a touch screen phone for the 1st time then you might feel like that but since I already use a 4.3 inch phone I did not find it big. It is just a matter of getting used to it.
Totally and vehemently disagree. I thought Apple had some logic with the one handed phone operation funda (i loved my defy for that) - but I found it overblown when using the wife's 4.3" screen GNexus. however, using the dialer on my SGS3 is a royal pain *one handed*.
Old 27th November 2013, 21:37   #17110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Totally and vehemently disagree. I thought Apple had some logic with the one handed phone operation funda (i loved my defy for that) - but I found it overblown when using the wife's 4.3" screen GNexus. however, using the dialer on my SGS3 is a royal pain *one handed*.
Yep - some operations will be tough one handed even on a 4.3 inch screen. But too small a screen kind of defies the purpose of a smartphone. I think the 4.3-4.8 inch is appropriate for smartphones - ofcourse this does not mean you will be able to perform all actions with one hand - I do not look for that in the phone. But if you think that will be a big issue then please consider some other phones I guess. Try it and see if you are comfortable.

Most flagships with better processors etc come with large screens and if you go for a smaller screen, you will have to get used to weaker hardware. It all depends on what you like and are comfortable it.
Old 28th November 2013, 02:34   #17111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most flagships with better processors etc come with large screens and if you go for a smaller screen, you will have to get used to weaker hardware. It all depends on what you like and are comfortable it.
You're right Android wise - the S4 mini is a case in point. But hey - I want a phone, not a workstation to simulate protein folding on. And the S4 mini is responsive enough. It uses the same processor that powered the ginormous Galaxy Mega!!

And as you would have guessed - one month of the S3 has convinced me that either I will pony up $550 for the not-so-latest iOS iteration the next time, OR I will buy a Winphone (like the lovely 820/920). I am so done with the whole android hype. For a once-upon-a-time flagship, the S3 is quite laggy. What a shame.
Old 28th November 2013, 08:28   #17112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am so done with the whole android hype. For a once-upon-a-time flagship, the S3 is quite laggy. What a shame.
Have you tried iOS 7 on older iphones ?
Generally once upon a time flagships become laggy when more features are loaded on them.

IPhone 4 and Galaxy S3 were of same generation so I think comparison is fair.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th November 2013 at 08:30.
Old 28th November 2013, 08:33   #17113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You're right Android wise - the S4 mini is a case in point. But hey - I want a phone, not a workstation to simulate protein folding on. And the S4 mini is responsive enough. It uses the same processor that powered the ginormous Galaxy Mega!!
Found one option. Xperia-ZR. Hardware same as Flagship device. But the price was down thanks to smaller screen (its still > 4 inch) and a 720p resolution instead of 1080p/AMOLED etc. Works perfectly well for me.
Old 28th November 2013, 08:40   #17114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
IPhone 4 and Galaxy S3 were of same generation so I think comparison is fair.
Fair comparison? Nope.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-3275.php (2010 Jun)
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i930...s_iii-4238.php (2012 May)

The right comparison should be S3 vs the utterly lag-free iphone 5:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-4910.php (2012 Sep)
Old 28th November 2013, 09:26   #17115
BANNED

Quote:
Yep - some operations will be tough one handed even on a 4.3 inch screen.
The screen is always a trade off between convenience and size. I feel a 4.3" is more than adequate. I have no issues with a 4"on my GPS!!

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th November 2013 at 09:29.

Most Viewed