Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 15:15   #17566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Most importers / Stockists on eBay dont hold as much stocks on hand. If you notice there are a few sellers who claim delivery periods of 10-14 days. So that means they probably source the phone after one places the order.

Just guessing.

But ya, those who have stocks and are selling at 17k price mark are going to be in trouble. Once officially launched there would be no one willing to buy an imported, no warranty handset at a higher price.

Regards,
Old 5th February 2014, 15:15   #17567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, I am wondering what the importers are going to do with the stock they have bought in so far. They cannot compete with the official price and still make money.
Good for them. Take a dekko at
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/29891907.cms
Old 5th February 2014, 15:27   #17568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
Thanks for the links but my main query was whether a case is necessary, Do you use One? If yes please post a picture.
Somehow I have been a fan of the neoprene pouches right from the original Nexus days when it came directly in the box from Google. So I still use the same even though they don't look too hep. Keeps my phone protected from bumps and scratches and looking like new when I am ready to resell them 1 year down the line.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-htc-one-neoprene-case.jpg
Old 5th February 2014, 15:58   #17569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

You dont need .vcf for moving contacts. Simply SYNC your contacts in S2 with your Google id or any such app available on play store. and then use the same to sign in on your Nexus 5 and you are good to go. I normally use such a app for my SMS when i am changing phones. But i guess SYNC with Google is best way.

I am using Kitkat 4.4.2 on my Moto G and there is a dedicated SMS app. I have disabled sms on hangouts. I am sure it would be same with Nexus 5. Do give it a look.

Regards,
Thanks for the reply Harshal. I know about syncing contacts to google, but I'm not very keen on syncing all the contacts with google . But, if all else fails, I will do as you suggested. The .vcf contacts backup worked successfully with a Nexus 4 when I imported the contacts from my wife's old Samsung Galaxy S Duos to her new Nexus 4 (a few months back and before the Kit Kat update). I'm not sure if this is happening because of Kit Kat.

I have one more question. Is there any way to disable/remove the google search bar at the top of the screen? This thing appears in all the home screens and I'm unable to remove it.
Old 5th February 2014, 16:08   #17570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

I have one more question. Is there any way to disable/remove the google search bar at the top of the screen? This thing appears in all the home screens and I'm unable to remove it.
Try disabling the Google search from your apps menu.

It might work. Haven't tried.

Settings > Apps > All Apps > Google Search
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391596649728.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391596671033.jpg  

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 5th February 2014 at 16:10.
Old 5th February 2014, 16:19   #17571
BHPian

@ dkaile
Thanks for the input.

I had read somewhere that the dual SIM variant of the one will also be getting the 4.4.2 update. Fingers crossed
Old 5th February 2014, 16:51   #17572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dkaile
Thanks for the links but my main query was whether a case is necessary, Do you use One? If yes please post a picture.
I have always been a sucker for cases. Used to have otterboxes and ballistics for my BBs. Even bought an otterbox commuter for my first htc one but sadly the dual sim did not fit it into it.

As for do you really need a case? Well considering the money paid for the phone it breaks my heart to keep it bareback on the desk/table. And unlike the otterbox, the nilkin does not add much bulk and is quite handy. Besides at 700 odd bucks it is worth it.
Old 5th February 2014, 18:29   #17573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hi guys, I just got myself a new Nexus 5 from the US of A. I was using the Samsung Galaxy S2 earlier. I have a couple of queries for the Nexus 5 users.

1. When I try to import contacts from the .vcf file, the Nexus 5 does not detect the .vcf format file which was exported from the Galaxy S2. Has anyone faced this problem? I am not very keen on backing up all my contacts on Google and then syncing it with the new phone.

2. I just found out that there is no dedicated SMS app on this phone and that I have to use Google Hangouts as the SMS app. Is this common across all Nexus 5s? My wife's Nexus 4 (running on KitKat) has a default messenger app for SMS. Hangouts looks ugly to use for SMS. I had disabled the SMS integration with Hangout in the S2 as well.
Curious to know, how much did it cost you ? My friend bought one for 28k(32GB) from there last month.

I got mine here,unfortunately there is NO SMS app other than hangouts on Nexus 5. Hangouts is ok, but that keyboard is horrible,there is no return key! Its replaced by a silly smiley key in the hangouts app.

You may have to download an SMS app from the playstore, like GO SMS.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:13   #17574
BHPian

For the other htc one dual sim variant users here including deathwalke... What kind of backup are you getting from the battery if you use only 1 sim slot, is it true that even if we pop in 1 sim the second slot is switched on and does consume battery resulting in poorer battery life than the single sim variant.
Old 5th February 2014, 21:44   #17575
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used iBall 9703 or the Q1035 tablets? These are 9.7" and 10.1" respectively, with the smaller tablet being more powerful in specs.

I owned the iBall 7334 tablet for a brief period of time, and apart from a few quirks and lesser-than-my-requirements battery life I sold it off. There were long periods of inactivity where the tablet just drained out and had to be recharged for a few minutes before it could be used again. However more or less it was trouble free for the usage.

So I am looking to take a bigger risk now, instead of a 7" tablet I am looking to go for the 10" one, and these two fit the bill perfectly. They are priced under 20k and so much cheaper than the branded ones like the iPad or the Note.
Old 5th February 2014, 23:39   #17576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Curious to know, how much did it cost you ? My friend bought one for 28k(32GB) from there last month
I bought last week from google store $ 349 CAD + Shipping 17+ Tax 17 - Approx Rs 22000 for 16 GB

Mostly an Iphone user , I find this phone little lighter & faster besides extra size of screen & little different colour of white more like Sony Laptops . Still undecided if I will keep or return ..
Old 6th February 2014, 00:27   #17577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I bought last week from google store $ 349 CAD + Shipping 17+ Tax 17 - Approx Rs 22000 for 16 GB

Mostly an Iphone user , I find this phone little lighter & faster besides extra size of screen & little different colour of white more like Sony Laptops . Still undecided if I will keep or return ..
What would the 32 Gb have cost you ?
Old 6th February 2014, 00:35   #17578
Team-BHP Support

$ 50 CAD extra .. like 25,000 - I prefer to buy from Canada due to liberal Return policies on most of things ..

http://www.google.ca/nexus/5/

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th February 2014 at 00:37.
Old 6th February 2014, 10:55   #17579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the other htc one dual sim variant users here including deathwalke... What kind of backup are you getting from the battery if you use only 1 sim slot, is it true that even if we pop in 1 sim the second slot is switched on and does consume battery resulting in poorer battery life than the single sim variant.
Display is on Auto brightness mode.
Network is on Dual mode
BT is always on
Wi-Fi is always on [using wifi matic]
A lot of low duration calls, browsing, whatsapping etc

At the end of the day when i get back home i am usually at 15-20% battery level.
Old 7th February 2014, 11:17   #17580
BANNED

Thanks to dkaile's advice I am sticking with my Sprint htc One when I port to GSM from Reliance. I am getting the old Wildfire S back from my son to actually figure out when I am ported. The cut the SIM, stick it in the One and take on from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks