Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2014, 17:02   #19231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
My friend installed CM11 on the Redmi 1S. However, he is having trouble (a known issue I guess) with encrypting emails - which is required by our company. Any idea if there is a fix?
Ask him to try touchdown or other such apps which supports exchange server. For SMS, he may use whisper push.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:08   #19232
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Ask him to try touchdown or other such apps which supports exchange server. For SMS, he may use whisper push.
Ah, I think I'd used the wrong terms there. What I meant to say is that the phone must be encrypted to send and receive emails - this is a Security feature of Android that must be turned on. However, once he does this, he loses all mobile connectivity.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:24   #19233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ah, I think I'd used the wrong terms there. What I meant to say is that the phone must be encrypted to send and receive emails - this is a Security feature of Android that must be turned on. However, once he does this, he loses all mobile connectivity.
Encryption option is available under security, but don't understand why his mobile loses connectivity! But, because of the specs of the Phone, I think this may slow down the performance by few notches, though I haven't personally tried this option!
Old 25th September 2014, 17:26   #19234
BHPian

Guys which one would be better Android one or Moto E, as a 2nd / backup phone

Primary usage: Telephony, messaging/ Whats App, email, web browsing and YouTube. Battery life and ease of use are high on the list

Gaming is not at all important.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:32   #19235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Encryption option is available under security, but don't understand why his mobile loses connectivity! But, because of the specs of the Phone, I think this may slow down the performance by few notches, though I haven't personally tried this option!
Yeah, weird but true. Even mi3 having the same problem. http://en.miui.com/thread-44597-1-1.html
Old 25th September 2014, 17:38   #19236
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to not see a mention here yet - The new moto X has launched at 32k on flipkart. While the general feeling is that it's expensive, I think it's priced on expected lines and is worth it for the experience it offers and it's unique features.
Old 25th September 2014, 20:12   #19237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Surprised to not see a mention here yet - The new moto X has launched at 32k on flipkart. While the general feeling is that it's expensive, I think it's priced on expected lines and is worth it for the experience it offers and it's unique features.
Agree with you, if there is one innovative smartphone which can be put ahead of all including Apples, Windows and all others, then its the Moto X. That phone is the real smartphone today and makes other phones look like just ordinary phones.
Old 25th September 2014, 20:31   #19238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Encryption does severely restrict what you can/can't do with phone features (simplest example is all screen unlock options except 'password unlock' will be disabled), and it also includes the option of turning off several hardware features (like cameras, bluetooth,wireless etc.) from an admin console. It's the first time I'm hearing of mobile network connectivity being affected, but it's not totally impossible.

If the user's company requires encryption for corporate security, they'll most probably have a MDM (Mobile Device Mgmt.) service implemented, my company for example uses the Citrix Worx client (there are many others), and any connections to exchange without the MDM client installed are not permitted for security reasons.

Just encrypting your phone with native Android encryption may not give you access to the corp exchange server you're trying to connect to. On my S3, if I try to setup corp email on the native email client, it prompts me to accept the server's recommended encryption and feature control policies on top of local device encryption.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th September 2014 at 20:36.
Old 25th September 2014, 22:26   #19239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Guys which one would be better Android one or Moto E, as a 2nd / backup phone

I would suggest the Moto E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I agree with you. The Moto X is the coolest android phone available right now.
Old 25th September 2014, 22:43   #19240
Senior - BHPian

A friend's HTC one mini went in for a broken screen repair. He bought a Moto E add backup for the two weeks it took (he was traveling). He was pleased add punch with the phone and the pace of mind /vfm
Old 25th September 2014, 23:41   #19241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I would suggest the Moto E.

I agree with you. The Moto X is the coolest android phone available right now.
I was disappointed to read that @ 32k we get only 16gb. Neither was the option of SD card slot provided. I was ready to purchase this phone but now I have dropped the plan.
Old 26th September 2014, 00:10   #19242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I was disappointed to read that @ 32k we get only 16gb. Neither was the option of SD card slot provided. I was ready to purchase this phone but now I have dropped the plan.
Coming from the Moto G and an all-apple environment at home, office and hospital, I've safely come to use Google photos, which backs up all my videos and photos daily and I just delete them at the end of a month or two knowing these are accessible on all iOS and Mac devices.

The music I carry I shift in/out once in a month or two. Can't watch movies on a tiny screen so no movie files there; but yes, I wouldn't have cared at all if I had a 16Gig plus 128 gig SD, but the google photos plus limited music thing really works for me.

All said and done, my next phone (I ordered the X 2014 last night and plan to use it for a year) will be at least a 128 gig probably iPhone 6s with maxed out capacity.
Old 26th September 2014, 07:21   #19243
BHPian

Even I was waiting for Moto X price announcement. But disappointed to see the phone has been priced way above my budget. Now I need to explore HTC series. Any suggestion would be helpful.
Old 26th September 2014, 09:37   #19244
Distinguished - BHPian

Need to buy a new phone for my dad preferably a dual sim. The usage is basic with major emphasis on battery life. The only feature apart from calls and messaging that can be used is a camera ( nothing fancy here too but should not be downright deplorable). I had earlier picked up the Moto G and am happy with the phone till now.

Looking into the options, could come across only the new Moto G 2014 as a worthy phone in this price range. But not sure if I should go for another motorola only. Any other option that I can look at? Budget is within 15k. Was even trying to flirt with the idea of trying a Windows phone this time.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:00   #19245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Looking into the options, could come across only the new Moto G 2014 as a worthy phone in this price range. But not sure if I should go for another motorola only.
Why not, you had a Toyota, you have been happy with it and you bought another Toyota. Why not repeat the Motorola then?

Would there have been investment like Samsung etc then Motorola phones would have also been sold at double the price and that time they have got better respect I think.

Motorola is not some new brad or a Chinese cheap brand. Its one of the oldest company in WiFi networking holding so much of patents which other companies can just dream about.

Look at their constant innovations in Smartphones and also look at their experiment rate. Last year when they produced MotoX, they experimented with camera, they didn't use traditional camera hardware and tried some new technology. It didn't go well and camera of the phone was criticized. This year they returned back to traditional hardware but experimented with antenna, Apple has also done the antenna thing in the past but implementation of Motorola is bit different.

I think Motorola deserves better respect than what it actually getting in crowd of Chinese phones. We are getting Motorola phones at Chinese phone prices doesn't mean that there is compromise in hardware quality. Look at the cheap MotoE, that Rs 7K costing phone comes with Gorilla glass and sturdy chassis. They didn't compromise in the quality of the hardware they were giving, rather they decided to cut the cost by not including front camera and skipped auto focus and flash for rear camera.

I don't say that only buy Moto G, but please don't skip the phone just because its a Motorola which you already have or you think Motorola is also like any other cheap Chinese company because of their pricing.

You can look at HTC range as another options. But I am sure when you will compare the hardware, you will find Moto G as a superior offering in the same price bracket. Obviously, HTC also has to recover it's physical investment so they will have to keep price higher. Though I can't say the same while comparing the hardware specs with Xiaomi phones which are hard to get.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 26th September 2014 at 10:04.

Most Viewed