Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2014, 21:37   #19381
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Yes, the Moto X is still a pretty good phone even today, no other brand offers Touchless Controls like Motorola but it may have a small screen if reading is the primary use. Also, battery backup is one of the major cons of the phone.
Aw battery was one thing that I did not want to compromise on the older generation phone.

We have ordered one Gen 2 Moto X for my father for 22k after exchange with Grand I9082 and 2K cashback. Took a risk with the battery. But felt that a flagship @ 22K is reasonable.

I think I will consider a swap for Moto X with my dad if he does not find the battery sufficient. Any phone in 15-20K budget with really good battery life. Are windows phones a good option in this aspect?
Old 10th October 2014, 22:07   #19382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

I think I will consider a swap for Moto X with my dad if he does not find the battery sufficient. Any phone in 15-20K budget with really good battery life. Are windows phones a good option in this aspect?
Haven't personally used a Windows Phone but I don't think there is a major issue with battery life. Generally, the bigger phones have better life as they have a larger capacity battery so, you could look at a phablet like Asus Zenfone 6 or Lumia 1320 if you don't find a 6' screen phone daunting to use.
Old 10th October 2014, 23:53   #19383
Senior - BHPian

has anyone bought one of these phones or their ilk? Curious how they stand up in real world usage?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Auxus-Aura-A1...item35ddd328a1

That's a lot of phone / freebies for 9k! better than Redmi 1S on paper for sure.
Old 11th October 2014, 00:25   #19384
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Received my Redmi 1 S last night and I have moved to Mokee ROM based on CM 11 almost immediately.

MIUI was a worst experience, after coming from stock android experience on my Nexus 5.

Lets see how the REDMI 1s fares with CM11.

Your screenshot shows 1008MB memory as 95%. I'm using Redmi 1S on stock CM11. The phone info shows only 871MB of RAM. My question is: Is the balance RAM (1024-871MB) getting used by system and hence not shown in the device stats, or there something wrong with the device? Requesting Gurus to please respond to this.

Last edited by TSIched'Out : 11th October 2014 at 00:26.
Old 11th October 2014, 07:03   #19385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Haven't personally used a Windows Phone but I don't think there is a major issue with battery life. Generally, the bigger phones have better life as they have a larger capacity battery so, you could look at a phablet like Asus Zenfone 6 or Lumia 1320 if you don't find a 6' screen phone daunting to use.
5"- 5.2" is the maximum screen size that I personally prefer. Anything bigger than that phone will start looking like a male clutch in hand. That is one of the reasons Nexus 6 will be out of the question for me.

With respect to battery even I observed that phablets seem to fare better in the mid price range.
Old 11th October 2014, 07:08   #19386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Your screenshot shows 1008MB memory as 95%. I'm using Redmi 1S on stock CM11. The phone info shows only 871MB of RAM. My question is: Is the balance RAM (1024-871MB) getting used by system and hence not shown in the device stats, or there something wrong with the device? Requesting Gurus to please respond to this.
Bro,

Don't try to read RAM statistics from weather widget. 1008MB is atmospheric pressure and 95 % is some thing related to weather again.

So don't worry. My phone also shows 873MB in the about phone section.
Old 11th October 2014, 08:10   #19387

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Are there any OnePlus One T-BHP members? How has been your experience of the phone?
OnePlus One user here. I review gadgets, so I've used a while bunch of devices this year (One M8, GS5, One E8, Z2, Moto X 2014) and at least in my view, nothing is as good. Honestly didn't think that the phone would turn out to be as amazing as it is.

Size of the device itself is a slight concern as I have always stuck with sub-5 inch mobiles thus far, but I've gotten used to the 5.5-inch screen (which is also awesome).
Old 11th October 2014, 14:24   #19388
BHPian

Please help guys!

I just factory reset my Mi3. Before resetting, I took a local backup of my data and then copied the backup folder to my laptop.

On resetting the phone, I found that the phone doesn't even have the browser now. Just the basic utilities like camera, file explorer, gallery etc. nothing else. Moreover, the backup folder which I copied to my laptop got corrupted, so even that's gone..

What can I do now? Download the google play store apk on laptop and then transfer it to my phone? Which folder on the phone should I transfer the apk file to?

I did the factory reset cuz of a problem with the stock alarm and also because I wasn't able to open the "Report Bug" Tool after the recent update. I thought a hard reset would solve both the problems. However, still the Report Bug tool isn't working. Yet to check the stock alarm..

-Bhargav
Old 11th October 2014, 14:52   #19389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
What can I do now? Download the google play store apk on laptop and then transfer it to my phone? Which folder on the phone should I transfer the apk file to?
Play Store cannot be installed as an app, it has to be flashed into system partition.

Follow instructions from the below link, this should solve your problem.

http://en.miui.com/thread-17910-1-1.html
Old 11th October 2014, 18:15   #19390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Play Store cannot be installed as an app, it has to be flashed into system partition.

Follow instructions from the below link, this should solve your problem.

http://en.miui.com/thread-17910-1-1.html
Nope. Google play store apk can be downloaded and installed directly onto the phone/tab. Search for the apk and install. But before installation, enable 'installation from unknown sources' under security in settings.
Old 11th October 2014, 18:25   #19391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

Any phone in 15-20K budget with really good battery life. Are windows phones a good option in this aspect?
I am using a Moto G and i am very much satisfied with battery life. On an average it goes 15 hours with 5-6 hours of on screen time.

Even with 3G the battery life is awesome. Except for the camera it a solid phone for the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1413032050212.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1413032068951.jpg  

Old 11th October 2014, 18:52   #19392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
On an average it goes 15 hours with 5-6 hours of on screen time.
Screen time of 7 hours
I don't remember if I have seen such screen time in any smartphones. It means if phone is used very sparsely then you can easily get 2-3 days.
Old 11th October 2014, 19:35   #19393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I am using a Moto G and i am very much satisfied with battery life. On an average it goes 15 hours with 5-6 hours of on screen time.

Even with 3G the battery life is awesome. Except for the camera it a solid phone for the price.
Thanks mate. Moto G was one of my choices but heard second generation battery life is not as good due to increased screen size. Other than that it is a very decent option.

Flipkart just delivered the first of the 2 Moto X's that we have ordered. Phone is really nice and feels light too. Loved the screen and camera is also decent. Will give a detailed esp. battery after a weeks use.

But first things first, silencing the phone by gliding the hand over the phone is cool Got to enable the voice controls and see how it performs
Old 12th October 2014, 07:59   #19394
BHPian

I own a 1st gen Moto G too, and I agree with abhibh.

I easily get 2 days of battery life on a 3G network, with around 5 - 5:30 hours of sreen on time.

If I am on 2G, then I get around 6+ h of screen on time.

It's a brilliant phone, and my favourite in that price bracket.

@indian21r - The 2nd gen G does have a slight drop in battery life, but it can still easily get you through a day of heavy usage.

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 12th October 2014 at 08:02. Reason: Added reply to indian21r
Old 12th October 2014, 12:22   #19395
BHPian

I am another One Plus One user and I also review gadgets
If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-image.jpg  

Most Viewed