Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:52   #23311
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just go and order the One Plus X!

At the reduced 14,999 price it's a steal. It is one of the most beautifully designed phones, has SD card slot or dual sim support, 3G RAM and the flagship processor from 2014.

It's my current pick of the lot for anyone looking at sub 20K phone.
Sorry. The MI4 trumps it on all accounts except good looks. 1+X is drool maal but the camera isnt close to MI4. mi4 comes in 64 GB spec too, and is often discounted!

mi4 is single sim and 3G though.

AFAIK both use Snapdragon801 but without the highest optimizations / latest manufacturing process which means they aren't as good as the big brand flagships of 2014.

Quote:
Theres a reason why the huawei honor 5x is 13k which is more than the rest.

Huawei might look to be a Chinese brand but they are as established as lenovo and xiaomi.

There's also a reason why Google went with huawei for making their flagship Nexus 6P phone.

Don't think they are unknown. They are rated higher than lenovo and xiaomi.

It's only the people who are not aware think it is an unknown Chinese brand.
True. I'd have bought 5x if it came with 3GB RAM. Our phones NEVER lag for want of processing speed - almost always for RAM.

They are unknown in India btw outside tech circles. In mid sized cities no one knows them e.g Lucknow - only xiaomi is known but folks with Lenovo or Huawei phones regularly get derided as having a "cheap chinese phone". "Motorola / Xiaomi was not available?" is the standard refrain!!
PS: I've seen / used their phones since 2009 when they were quite crappy btw.
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:04   #23312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sorry. The MI4 trumps it on all accounts except good looks. 1+X is drool maal but the camera isnt close to MI4. mi4 comes in 64 GB spec too, and is often discounted!

Mi4 is a good phone but I usually don't recommend them as personally I'm not a fan of the MIUI.

I prefer stock Android which is one thing I loved in the OnePlus X.
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:47   #23313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
The choice is entirely yours, however, I thought I'll share my two cents on the above points.

Battery is definitely a huge plus in this phone. And surprisingly, it doesn't feel bulky or heavy at all. Many a times I have to check if I have the phone in my pocket because it feels so much lighter than even my Nexus 4 and moto Gs. I agree on the screen bit but even then it did not feel unusable or anything. By the way, redmi note 3 has a one-hand mode which you can switch on anytime by swiping on the navigation bar.

I would put my money on a snapdragon any day. And I also would urge you to give importance to processor and ram if not anything else. My sense is that these thing matter if you intend to keep it for longer than six months or a year.
I get you are saying. Yes, its a good handset at a great price.
The Redmi Note 3 (RN3) was my first choice, and I was not even considering any other device until the afternoon of 20-April. The lack of easy availability of the RN3 is making me look elsewhere.
Their sale model makes me feel desperate at 2pm on Wednesdays. Gives a sense of too much importance being given to the device, more than it may deserve.

Quote:
Tibby, if the phone is for your wife and you need a smaller form factor then please forget all these 5.5" phablets.

At the reduced 14,999 price it's a steal. It is one of the most beautifully designed phones, has SD card slot or dual sim support, 3G RAM and the flagship processor from 2014.

It maybe an older chip Snapdragon 801, but it doesn't have as much thermal issues and doesn't throttle down as much. Yes it's not a 64 bit CPU so not as future proof but after using the One Plus X for 1 month I was blown away by it especially since it was 15K.

Batter life, camera quality was better than my Moto X 2nd gen whhich I bought for 32K. The OS was close to stock android with some very handy add ons.

It's my current pick of the lot for anyone looking at sub 20K phone.
I had discounted the OnePlus X (OPX) simply because of just 16GB ROM. I'm not a fan of SD Cards.
With those strong words of recommendation, not I'm reconsidering looking at the OPX more seriously. Thank you for messing with my head.

Quote:

Where is the Mi4 64GB version available?
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:54   #23314
BHPian

Quote:
I have used both MI4 and 1+X and as far as performance (or should i say lag) is concerned, i found 1+X better than MI4. When it comes to camera, both were not great, may be MI4 slightly better than 1+X. And most of the android users prefer stock android experience (which 1+X provides) when compared to custom UI.

Quote:
Here again, 1+X has an advantage over MI4, now a days 4G is quite common and an additional option of either 2nd SIM or Card is always useful.
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:43   #23315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
I get you are saying. Yes, its a good handset at a great price.

Their sale model makes me feel desperate at 2pm on Wednesdays. Gives a sense of too much importance being given to the device, more than it may deserve.

I had discounted the OnePlus X (OPX) simply because of just 16GB ROM. I'm not a fan of SD Cards.
With those strong words of recommendation, not I'm reconsidering looking at the OPX more seriously. Thank you for messing with my head.
I'm also not a great fan of these flash sales and invites. Moreover, companies here in India tend to get away with these kind of things. I guess the customer backlash outweighs the demand. Fortunately, I managed to get the 2GB version at the first go though I had to downgrade my expectations from 3GB to 2.

I agree with Vid6639, one plus x is a great phone. It too has great specs and not to forget the 8 series snapdragon chip meant for flagships. I was going to buy one plus x but then spending anything over 10k just did not seem right at that time. So, if you are willing to spend that extra few thousands then yes one plus x is a very good option.

I think storage should not be a worry now especially when all these phones have USB OTG. I'd rather prefer to have to either sync those personal photos, etc. or move them to another device given that phones are more prone to getting lost.
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:50   #23316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tibby, if the phone is for your wife and you need a smaller form factor then please forget all these 5.5" phablets.

+100 to what Vid have told. I have gifted one to my wife and she have been using it for 4 months now. We are extremely happy with the phone and I personally rate the camera of OPX better than my Xiaomi Note 3. OPX gets my recommendation as the best 5 inch phone under 15K.

Quote:
I did evaluate Mi4 before buying the OPX and the things which kep me away from Mi4 were:

-No 4G support
-No dual sim
-No expandable memory
-64GB version was overpriced (my personal feel)
-Looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
The lack of easy availability of the RN3 is making me look elsewhere.

With those strong words of recommendation, not I'm reconsidering looking at the OPX more seriously.
There is a ray of hope if you are still waiting for the 3GB version of Note3 - I read reports that from April 27th, 2 PM onward, the phoen will have an open sale on Xiaomi website.
But please do take a look at OPX - it is a very good choice.

--Anoop
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:49   #23317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I'm also not a great fan of these flash sales and invites. Moreover, companies here in India tend to get away with these kind of things. I guess the customer backlash outweighs the demand. Fortunately, I managed to get the 2GB version at the first go though I had to downgrade my expectations from 3GB to 2.

I agree with Vid6639, one plus x is a great phone. It too has great specs and not to forget the 8 series snapdragon chip meant for flagships. I was going to buy one plus x but then spending anything over 10k just did not seem right at that time. So, if you are willing to spend that extra few thousands then yes one plus x is a very good option.

I think storage should not be a worry now especially when all these phones have USB OTG. I'd rather prefer to have to either sync those personal photos, etc. or move them to another device given that phones are more prone to getting lost.
The backlash is quite damaging.
I once had a look at the comments from prospective customers after they failed to get the phone in the flash sale.
While some were in bad taste, it gave a flavour of how pissed off they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
There is a ray of hope if you are still waiting for the 3GB version of Note3 - I read reports that from April 27th, 2 PM onward, the phoen will have an open sale on Xiaomi website.
But please do take a look at OPX - it is a very good choice.
My interest in the RN3 has reduced to almost half of what it was about 20 days ago.
I shall let the weekend pass and then decide which one to go for. As of now it is between Redmi Note 3, Lenovo Vibe S1, OnePlus X.
Old 22nd April 2016, 18:45   #23318
BHPian

Mi India is conducting an open sale on 27th April 2pm. No registration required. Why don't you try again? I heard they have imported huge number of handsets this time.
Old 22nd April 2016, 18:57   #23319
BHPian

The Xperia Z3 by the way, became the first ever non-Nexus device in history to get Android Developer Preview support. Android N Preview builds starting to roll out. Very easy to flash as well. The legend of the Z series lives on!!
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:47   #23320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The Xperia Z3 by the way, became the first ever non-Nexus device in history to get Android Developer Preview support. Android N Preview builds starting to roll out. Very easy to flash as well. The legend of the Z series lives on!!
Wow! that is definitely a first! Could it mean that sony is next in line for a nexus device? or are they going to go motorola way, stock android? Interesting times for z3 owners

EDIT: It seems other manufacturers are also in line for similar updates. And its mostly for app development so don't keep high hopes

Last edited by lordvader : 22nd April 2016 at 19:50.
Old 22nd April 2016, 22:13   #23321
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Facebook question. My sister got a new tablet - Mi Tab. On facebook, the never ending page isn't really never ending - after many posts, it ends - it gives "Find friends on facebook" message at the bottom of the page. In her earlier tablet - this used to scroll forever. It's not as if there is nothing to show. She has tons of facebook friends and there is enough to show for hours. Is this some setting in facebook?
Another Mi Tab - Facebook related issue. If you go to anyone's profile page on the Facebook App, there is a message button. On the Mi Tab, pressing this button for the first time prompts you to install messenger. But then on after installing messenger, pressing on the message button does nothing. She has to open messenger to message something. As per her, on her earlier tablet, clicking on the message button, opened up messenger.

Is this some setting - if not it seems like a MIUI bug. If so, is there a way to replace MIUI with stock Android ROM - there seems to be too many problems with MIUI.
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:22   #23322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Mi India is conducting an open sale on 27th April 2pm. No registration required. Why don't you try again? I heard they have imported huge number of handsets this time.
They have always been saying that they are getting more handsets for the next sale, but no one hardly ever gets hold of them.
Since the next sale is an open one, seems like one should believe them this time.

I would prefer buying off amazon.in over the Mi India website, as they have listed the 16GB & 32GB variants for the next sale on 27-Apr, 2pm.
Old 23rd April 2016, 18:45   #23323
BHPian

My Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE (SM-G900I) got upgraded to Android 6.0.1 today! Slight changes in the interface, must see how it performs!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 23rd April 2016 at 18:47.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:50   #23324
BHPian

I own a Moto G2, running on Android KitKat. My OTA update still shows Lollipop.
Has anyone else got the Marshmallow update?
Will I have to install Lollipop first to be able to upgrade to Marshmallow?

Please share your experience with OTA fellow Moto G2 users.
Old 24th April 2016, 12:11   #23325
BHPian

If anyone here has had any experiences with Lenovo After Sales Service (mobile phones), please share.
Would be great if for Bangalore.

Most Viewed