Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2019, 17:21   #28471
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a Samsung S8. How do I delete apps. After a second SIM I had to remove the memory card, so memory is becoming short.

I could not exactly figure it out.
Once you click on settings, click on apps. Once selected, you shall see all the list of installed apps. You need to select each app and then click uninstall. Done !
Old 1st March 2019, 06:32   #28472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The display looks brilliant but I am not so convinced with the punch-hole camera solution. Unlike the notch thing (which is behind the glass) this give a feel like a screen-protector film with a cut-out for camera. Just for that aspect, the S10 looked better than the S10+ with a less prominent cut-out on the former.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The S10 family's ultrasound fingerprint reader can be a major issue as I believe screen protectors are simply not compatible with the same! While I am not a big fan of protectors (unless of the highest quality), I suffered as my current OP5 fell face down (when barely 6 months old) and scratched the glass terribly. Suppose I am lucky it didn't break, but the scratches are still an eyesore.
So this is the reason; quite clever on Samsung to pre-fix the screen-protector so that users won’t go and fix up a glass layer and complain on the finger print sensor.
Old 1st March 2019, 06:40   #28473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a Samsung S8. How do I delete apps. After a second SIM I had to remove the memory card, so memory is becoming short.

I could not exactly figure it out.
I hope you are talking about uninstalling. Long press on any app that you want to uninstall, you'll get a small pop up of options. Select uninstall from that

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th March 2019 at 18:52. Reason: Small typo.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:06   #28474
Senior - BHPian

The S10 finger print reader works with a normal screen protector but not with a glass one. I never used screen protector, the normal case provides protection and I have never broken a phone which was having a proper case.

Meanwhile, Pixel 3 has dropped from 71K to 60K which is similar to S10 (after discounts) but the S10 is a way better phone in terms of design, hardware specs and versatility with the camera. Just providing a cleaner UX does not warrant the Pixel to be priced so high. So, sticking with my S10 pre-order
Old 1st March 2019, 11:26   #28475
ZMG
BHPian

Hi Guys,
So I am looking for a change of phone from 2016 iphone 5s to android mainly because of the price factor. I don't like the looks of iPhone X so much ( not a fan of the notch design) and iPhone 8 or 7 at 40K + does not make sense.

I use my phone mainly for Whatsapp, calls, reading loads and loads of Team - bhp and Quora and other random things, and sometimes listening to music on Saavn or Youtube while driving.

With these things in my mind, I thought it does not make sense to buy a phone over 20K. I will use the 70K I save from an iphone X purchase for an international holiday + a local holiday.

I have always been a Nokia fan, however did not have the courage to buy a windows phone.

I want a clean Android UI, hence sticking to Android One phones, I hate my moms Xiaomi 4S Prime (or is it 4) for getting into privacy for something as simple as file viewer.

Any inputs on Nokia 8.1 ?
Or should I extend my budget and get a One plus 6T (i like its design) or maybe a pixel 2 ( is the single camera sufficient?)
Or should I stick to my budget and get a Nokia 7.1 ?

I am thinking of making my purchase in the next few months, and I am not in a hurry.

I like to use my phone for at least 3 years.

Would like to go with a non - chinese company as much as possible.

Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 12:22   #28476
Senior - BHPian

Guys who have had a hands on on the S10 phones, how was it while watching movies in full screen with the hole punch cameras ?
Old 1st March 2019, 16:53   #28477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of making my purchase in the next few months, and I am not in a hurry.

Thanks
Given what you have mentioned, OP6T does not seem to be a contender. Besides OP7 is due super soon.

I have used a Nokia 8 (with dual camera Carl Zeiss) and Pixel 2 (single cam)... And the Pixel 2 is superior in almost all perceived ways. Smoother. Cleaner. Cam is just fantastic. Audio output is better. Battery life is better.
Coming from a 5s you will enjoy the compact Pixel 2.
Nokia 8 delivered the Pie update very very late. If you are looking at something that will last 3 years, I would bet on the Pixel. That said, worth waiting for the Pixel 3 Lite coming soon.
Old 1st March 2019, 19:53   #28478
ZMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Given what you have mentioned, OP6T does not seem to be a contender. Besides OP7 is due super soon.

I have used a Nokia 8 (with dual camera Carl Zeiss) and Pixel 2 (single cam)... And the Pixel 2 is superior in almost all perceived ways. Smoother. Cleaner. Cam is just fantastic. Audio output is better. Battery life is better.
Coming from a 5s you will enjoy the compact Pixel 2.
Nokia 8 delivered the Pie update very very late. If you are looking at something that will last 3 years, I would bet on the Pixel. That said, worth waiting for the Pixel 3 Lite coming soon.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at the Nokia 8 Sirocco, I love that design. Any inputs on that ?
Also, you say Pixel 3 is better because of the regular and quick updates?
Does that really matter much ? I am a noob here, however on my 5S I am still on IOS 11, and in no mood to update to 12.
Is it really required to upgrade android versions for my kind of usage?

The reason I am slipping towards Nokia is the Hardware. I saw a durability test of Nokia 8.1 and it seems to be one of the best made phones.
All I need is a device which is fast enough even after 3 years, and the reason I change my phone is because I want to and not need to.

Attaching the Youtube video showing Nokia 8.1 Durability test:

Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 21:57   #28479
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
If you are not in a hurry then just wait as much as you can. Tech changes within days, let alone months.

From the current non chinese lot, I reckon the Samsung A50 and M30 look really good for the price.
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:05   #28480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
So I am looking for a change of phone from 2016 iphone 5s to android mainly because of the price factor. I don't like the looks of iPhone X so much ( not a fan of the notch design) and iPhone 8 or 7 at 40K + does not make sense.

Thanks
Have a look at Recently launched Samsung A50. It's selling at 22k for 6gb ram version. Will meet all of your criteria. I am looking to get it for myself as soon as it's available in offline stores.
Old 4th March 2019, 11:46   #28481
Senior - BHPian

FInally placed pre-order for Galaxy S10 Blue color (8GB, 128 GB)
Expecting it to be delivered by Thursday.

Believe it or not, this is my first Samsung smartphone
Previously, used Google, Motorola, Nokia, MI. Always avoided Samsung for their terrible touchwiz UI but things have improved lately and OneUI seems to be getting lot of praise.

I would have gone for the Pixel series but Google has a lot of catch-up to do in the hardware department if they want to compete with the big boys. Only clean software and great HDR is not worth paying the top dollar price. Looking forward to a long-lasting relationship with the S10.

Can someone recommend a good wireless charger for the S10?
Also, any recommendations if the Galaxy watch is worth it? It is available for 10K along with the Pre-order compared to normal price of >25K I believe.
Old 4th March 2019, 12:16   #28482
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked out the S10+ and the Note 9 side-by-side over the weekend. Tending towards N9 although combo of exchange benefit + cashback etc on S10+ is very tempting! Screen is better on S10+ but stylus a big draw on N9.

Confused and may wait for some more time before deciding.
Old 4th March 2019, 13:17   #28483
BHPian

Quote:
Checked out the S10+ and the Note 9 side-by-side over the weekend. Tending towards N9 although combo of exchange benefit + cashback etc on S10+ is very tempting! Screen is better on S10+ but stylus a big draw on N9.

Confused and may wait for some more time before deciding.
What is final price difference? If S pen is to be used even sparingly then Note9 else S10+ for being newer hardware and form factor.
Old 4th March 2019, 14:46   #28484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
FInally placed pre-order for Galaxy S10 Blue color (8GB, 128 GB)
Expecting it to be delivered by Thursday.

Can someone recommend a good wireless charger for the S10?
Did you check if they are providing wireless charger/ear buds as pre-order freebies?
Here in Singapore the offer is as below…

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-galaxycapture.jpg

Quote:
Do check the S10 as well; except for that additional front camera, the smaller sibling actually looks like good package.
Old 4th March 2019, 19:05   #28485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Did you check if they are providing wireless charger/ear buds as pre-order freebies?
Here in Singapore the offer is as below…

Attachment 1854958

Do check the S10 as well; except for that additional front camera, the smaller sibling actually looks like good package.
Here in India they are providing the Galaxy buds at 3K (normal price >10K) and Galaxy watch as 10K (normal price 25K). No free wireless charger. Planning to buy one from Amazon/Flipkart.

I believe the S10 is overall a better package than S10+. The main advantage of the S10+ is the bigger battery and screen. But, the S10 is one-hand friendly and the single camera looks better and less intrusive. Also, as per the reviews, there is no huge difference due to the secondary camera on the S10+. So, I will definitely save the 10K and buy the S10.

Most Viewed