Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 11:42   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys I need to buy a BB within the week, undecided between Curve 8900, Bold 9000, and Bold 9700.

Is the keyboard of the 9700 a bit too small?
I tried out both the 9000 as well as the 9700, apart from being the more feature laden cousin and having a heftier price tag, the 9700 felt ergonomically a little inferior especially the keypad.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:33   #2492
BHPian

For those interested, here is a review of the new Blackberry Torch 9800:
BlackBerry Torch review -- Engadget
Old 5th August 2010, 15:39   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Should we hold on to the new blackberry purchases --- with all the drama happening between the Indian govt and RIM ?
Old 5th August 2010, 16:37   #2494
BHPian

worry not, lot of our politicos and Babus rely of inherent symmetric encryption provided by BBs to keep their dirty deeds secret ;-) this too shall pass.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:45   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Should we hold on to the new blackberry purchases --- with all the drama happening between the Indian govt and RIM ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Anybody got any clue as to what is going to happen to BIS service in India?

BlackBerry makers express inability to provide access to data - India - The Times of India
Nothing to worry.. will be taken care by our Raja Babu

Solution on BlackBerry soon: A Raja - Reuters -
Old 5th August 2010, 20:05   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
GPS shows 4 satellites but unable to use GPS, can some give me a run down on how to use and google maps does not provide the turn by turn voice navigation.
4 satellites is good enough. When you run google maps, does it show your position? Please look in the menu and there should be an option to show your position.

You can search for directions and it would show a list of the turns etc as a list and show it as a route in the map. You can follow your position on the map as you move along.

Since it actually follows you (and the map does not orient itself to show you going up as done in Map My India / Satguide / Garmin - I hope you got what I meant!), it is a little confusing as to the directions you should take. Google has voice navigation in android phones with Android 2.1 or later!

But this is a reasonable substitute and it has gotten me out of nowherer twice, so far.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:02   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I tried out both the 9000 as well as the 9700, apart from being the more feature laden cousin and having a heftier price tag, the 9700 felt ergonomically a little inferior especially the keypad.
Thanks, this is what I wanted to verify.
Old 6th August 2010, 09:19   #2498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
You might want to hold on to your purchases not because of that , but probably because of all the new blackberry models which are on to the market very soon.
They will all have the updated OS 6 with a host of other features and also a bump upto 5mp camera.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:28   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
with gods grace the OS on my laptop is working great now and has not crashed in over a week since I loaded the new OS(Windows Vista).
Now I am not sure whether its because of not installing any other DELL s/w or the new OS but I do not want to find out. The current way its working I am really happy.

BTW when I was using nokia I could see the days appointments/ birthday's that I'd saved and tasks on the home screen on my E90. Isn't there any way I can get the same feature on the home screen of my 8520 too. I searched onthe internet about some TODAY themes but couldn't find anythning.
Any nudge in the right direction???
Thanks & Cheers
Old 6th August 2010, 22:03   #2500
Senior - BHPian

Whats the best GPS app which gives the speed of travel. The inbuilt Bold 9000 app only gives co ordinates. Also is it true that BB maps do not work in India?
Old 7th August 2010, 10:00   #2501
Senior - BHPian

I have just paid the entire yearly fees for my full fledged blackberry connection. Its only been a month since I have started using BB services. If in case BB services get banned, what happens to this yearly fee? Will the service providers return the money or what? I am not sure if they will go ahead and refund the entire outstanding amount.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:22   #2502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Are you sure about that? I've tried Opera and 3rd party applications. All fail because there is no SSL connectivity.

yep have accessed online banking sites with Bolt
Old 7th August 2010, 12:25   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Are you sure about that? I've tried Opera and 3rd party applications. All fail because there is no SSL connectivity.
Not sure about SSL thingy, but HDFC and Kotak Mobile-banking (Java based) works flawlessly on BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys,
with gods grace the OS on my laptop is working great now and has not crashed in over a week since I loaded the new OS(Windows Vista).
Now I am not sure whether its because of not installing any other DELL s/w or the new OS but I do not want to find out. The current way its working I am really happy.

BTW when I was using nokia I could see the days appointments/ birthday's that I'd saved and tasks on the home screen on my E90. Isn't there any way I can get the same feature on the home screen of my 8520 too. I searched onthe internet about some TODAY themes but couldn't find anythning.
Any nudge in the right direction???
Thanks & Cheers
Following should suffice your needs

The Theme Zone: 3 Scroll themes: Scroll Today, Scroll Calendar & Scroll Plus (8900, 9600, 9700)

Another Today Plus Theme - 8900 - Clean, stock look - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

free BlackBerry Curve 8900 themes download list

Bottom Dock iPrecision Today+ for the 8900 (FREE) - PimpMyBerry!
Old 7th August 2010, 12:59   #2504
oss
BHPian

I have finally decided to ditch E72 and get onto the Blackberry bandwagon. Have got myself a simple 8520, and getting myself acquainted with it. The user experience of BB device is simply outstanding. Now i know why it commands the premium that it does.

Now BB Gurus, need a help from you guys.

I got my device through the company and they loaded the IT policy before giving the handset to me. This prohibits downloading / installation of any apps. Tried to get a IT support guy to figure out a workaround, by only suggestion from him is to format the whole device, load the apps that i want to and them configure it again to the company mail server. When it connect to the mail server the IT policy gets automatically downloaded and configured in the device.

Is there a way to install apps without formatting the device? Help me find a work around
Old 9th August 2010, 23:25   #2505
Senior - BHPian

The Curve 9300 i.e the 3G curve has just been released. Looks quite the same as the existing Bold. I thought that 9XXX numbering was reserved for the Bold series.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks