Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 10:10   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Thanks a lot buddy it worked. Problem is I do not have the English users manual hence could not find it.

Viper
At your service anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Yes its clearly written that he gets 140 kbps on EDGE with the MO service. I could never see above 112 kbps when I used MO for over 6 months before I got into BB handset. May be its to do with the handset more than the distance to tower. May be iphone gives the best of EDGE, I have never used one, so no clue !
Its almost impossible to get those kind of sustained speeds over edge. It must be the testing application. Actual download speeds wont be more then 10~20 kb/s
Old 18th February 2009, 14:30   #347
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if the speed is continuous or not, but I used to check the speed whenever I connected my mobile to PC (Mobile Office), and it always showed above 100 kbps with different testing links.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:15   #348
BHPian

Alright, will post the screenshot today. At home, it is pretty lousy except for odd hours like 1 am. But otherwise, sustained speed I ain't too sure. I don't use my iphone that much at work, but I will try and run the speed test daily for a week, that way I will get an average for a week. And, yeah I can stream the youtube videos without waiting for it to get buffered, thought it takes about 5 seconds initially to "load" the video.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:35   #349
Senior - BHPian

YouTube videos loading so fast is enough indication that the speed is great! I gotta get some friends AirTel connection checked out.

I am missing my berry, went to the mobile dealer he was tempting me with some excellent used storms. I really want a bold or nothing else. The Storm is lovely but lets see maybe Aargh!
Old 18th February 2009, 23:08   #350
BHPian

There you go, the screenshot.

Name:  IMG_0003.PNG
Views: 636
Size:  32.7 KB

I got the max once at 1 am!
Old 19th February 2009, 13:03   #351
Senior - BHPian

Oh thats a huge variation time to time. I think I never had that kind of variation whenever I used the PC through MO. Average was always above 100 kbps, no screen shots though. My handset was Nokia E62 at that time.
Old 19th February 2009, 14:23   #352
BHPian

GPS not working still

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Dont open google maps. Just open BB Maps applications and press the BB key and select "Start GPS Navigation" leave it like that for sometime and let it connect to satellites. Below you can see a little symbol on how many its connected to. Let it connect to atleast 8 and then press the Red Hang UP key (Dont exit the app) and then fire up google maps and see what happens.
I tried the same as you had mentioned yesterday evening on my way home. I was sitting on the passenger seat with the phone almost near the windscreen with the berry pointed 45 degrees to the sky as should be. 2,3,4 minutes and BB maps still shows searching for satellites. I just pressed the Red Hang up button and launched Google Maps. When earlier it used to say searching for satellites or gps temporarily unavailable, this time, it showed My Location within a 1.5km radius. I was not exactly on that road, but I was within the blue circle at that time. I thought approximation doesn't work on cdma. How did it happen? And what should I do for this thing to work. There is no help from customer care of tata indicom on the gps issue.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:47   #353
BHPian

Shaju, at home I get only GPRS (may be due to the receptivity in my area, Vijaynagar), so the speeds are low. At work (Bagmane Tech Park) I constantly get about 100kbps and it is on Edge ("E"), I tried it today too and I got about 100 kbps. Will try this for a week to get an average.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:40   #354
Senior - BHPian

Could be true, I heard certain towers are not EDGE enabled. So, area and tower matter in the speed !
Old 19th February 2009, 17:58   #355
BHPian

Yep, and also iPhone is a class 12 (or 13, I am not too sure, but definitely above 11). So even that matters when it comes to speed when compared to other cell phones.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:01   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
... at home I get only GPRS (may be due to the receptivity in my area, Vijaynagar), so the speeds are low. ...
See if moving around improves the signal so that your handset switches to EDGE.

When the signal received at your handset falls below a certain level (don't go by the bars on the screen; check absolute value under Status), the handset switches to GPRS protocol to maintain communication integrity.

Vijayanagar and areas around RPC Layout and further south till NR Colony etc. have this problem perpetually due to the topography and Airtel's apathy. Try to be on a call driving from 50ft Road Girinagar to Vijayanagar, and see how many times the call drops. Call Airtel and they will pretend the problem does not exist.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:11   #357
Senior - BHPian

Call dropping is an all around issue with airtel wherever you are in the city right now ! Airtel network has started giving issues on network coverage, call dropping, call failure, cross connection, SIM invalid etc right from the mid of December 2008. I moved from airtel to vodafone beginning of Jan (after I lost all my patience with complaint numbers and useless resolutions) and never faced similar issues with vodafone so far. My wife still continues with airtel and gets all the above issues regularly. Now it has come to a stage, even the bills are not delivered, she has not received December and January bills. Support guy tells, they have a technical problem in the billing division, and it will be delivered soon. To summarise, airtel has an issue in the network, services and even billing, what more a customer can ask for ?
Old 19th February 2009, 18:59   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
See if moving around improves the signal so that your handset switches to EDGE.

When the signal received at your handset falls below a certain level (don't go by the bars on the screen; check absolute value under Status), the handset switches to GPRS protocol to maintain communication integrity.

Vijayanagar and areas around RPC Layout and further south till NR Colony etc. have this problem perpetually due to the topography and Airtel's apathy. Try to be on a call driving from 50ft Road Girinagar to Vijayanagar, and see how many times the call drops. Call Airtel and they will pretend the problem does not exist.
Well, it does switch to EDGE at times (even though I live on the 2nd floor, I get GPRS only.) But even on GPRS, the speed is manageable.

As far as the call part goes, I use Vodafone for that. Have to say, they have given me an amazing service for the past three years and am happy with their service when it comes to calls. They do not have such good data plans as the airtel has, so I just bought a prepaid to use it on iPhone and that suffices my needs.

And a new problem with Airtel, is with cross connections. My roomie has an airtel connection and whenever he calls a vodafone number, the first time around it has to be a cross connection. A new way by airtel to make some money?
Old 19th February 2009, 19:28   #359
Senior - BHPian

So, you are using a prepaid airtel to use MO and GPRS ? What are the latest plans buddy ? I dont trust their website to have latest updates, cant even trust the support guys, they keep changing their word every day !
Old 19th February 2009, 20:43   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
There you go, the screenshot.

Attachment 102468

I got the max once at 1 am!
HUGE variation with time, but am really impressed with the speeds nonetheless. Still feel the speeds are way too less in the day for decent browsing and downloads. But great still. GPRS and EDGE class have nothing to do with speeds and everything to do with simultaneous connections. They define the upload and download connections active at any given time. And lets not get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I tried the same as you had mentioned yesterday evening on my way home. I was sitting on the passenger seat with the phone almost near the windscreen with the berry pointed 45 degrees to the sky as should be. 2,3,4 minutes and BB maps still shows searching for satellites. I just pressed the Red Hang up button and launched Google Maps. When earlier it used to say searching for satellites or gps temporarily unavailable, this time, it showed My Location within a 1.5km radius. I was not exactly on that road, but I was within the blue circle at that time. I thought approximation doesn't work on cdma. How did it happen? And what should I do for this thing to work. There is no help from customer care of tata indicom on the gps issue.
Thats google maps showing you your location based on the cellphone tower information, restart your berry then open blackberry maps and do as I said, if BB Maps doesnt show any connection to satellites its impossible that G Maps will be able to pinpoint. I wish I had a 8830 would have loved to poke around with it and help you out. And restart it with a battery pull and not with the off button.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks