Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 14:01   #2881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@shyamhegde I've tried every possible messenger and finally gone back to BB native messengers! I've never really liked it!
I got now trillion. Not so bad for Rs.240/-
I just did not want to logon and run many messenger programs. I have friends online on yahoo, gchat, aim and msn.
(I used LCG Slick when I had a Windows mobile. that was a free beta version)

So i run only Trillion and BB messenger now for the purpose.
Old 13th November 2010, 14:50   #2882
BHPian

Quote:
Check the file that you created with fileinfo tool from klite or vlc. You also have to check the bitrates. My BB plays the mp4's just fine. Esp the 600/700mb avi/mp4/divx ones. I just copy paste to the videos folder in the BB sd card disconnect and press play.
That's what I tried after my last post here & it worked like a charm. Both 3gp & mp4 formats are working flawless. What are the settings required to view full screen video ? I tried 320*240 & 480*320 but none worked. Aspect ratio maybe ?

Sent from BB via tbhp mobile

Last edited by quadra : 13th November 2010 at 14:54.
Old 13th November 2010, 15:31   #2883
BHPian

@quadra glad to see you got it solved. I have an atom desktop & laptops. so I don't bother with conversions. But last time I tried it was just about 320*240. When you say maintain aspect ratio is when your black lines above and below come into the picture. If change so it does a 4*3 it works I believe but I haven't tried it in an age. I watch my movies late night in the dark :P

@shyamhegde I stopped all my messengers. Right now I have BB Browser, Gtalk, BBM & 'who is it?' Running. But good to hear it works for you! Will keep in mind next time someone asks!
Old 13th November 2010, 20:45   #2884
BHPian

[quote=valhallen.282;2139070]@quadra glad to see you got it solved. I have an atom desktop & laptops. so I don't bother with conversions. But last time I tried it was just about 320*240. When you say maintain aspect ratio is when your black lines above and below come into the picture. If change so it does a 4*3 it works I believe but I haven't tried it in an age. I watch my movies late night in the dark :P [quote]
thanks buddy. Will try 4:3 conversion and update here
Old 14th November 2010, 01:18   #2885
BHPian

Reliance Blackberry CDMA services has announced a 4 hour maintenance window on 14th Nov sunday, from 8:30AM to 12:30PM, don't you guys feel this should have been done on late night instead of during day, although its sunday, but i hate the idea of 4 hours downtime during day.
Most of my business mails come during day time and this upgrade is going to be a pain.
Old 14th November 2010, 21:28   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@iTnerd airtel is supposed to have wider network range around india so if you travel out of town it makes sense. The best plan right now is the 899 plan or 599 plan if available in your city. If you don't mind prepaid you can consider the 399 plan so well advertised by blackberry. This is if you are a private consumer *NOT* attached to a company with its own BB backbone (read:blackberry enterprise server).

Next your BB will only be receiving a copy of the email. It will still be available on your computer/laptop. In the higher plans it is possible to use your BB as a modem. Just download the BBDM(Blackberry Desktop Manager) and connect your phone after plan activation.

And finally right now the best available so far is *still* by most standards the bold 2 9700. If you like the idea of touchscreens try the torch. But for a new user I normally suggest the more basic curve either the 8520/9300.
Thank you very much for the info. I already have a post paid Airtel connection, but wanted a dedicated number for my clients to contact me. So, got a new Vodafone postpaid 199 voice plan.. And would soon add the 599 plan (unlimited emails/surfing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Have replied above in bold.
Thanks Xehaust for the information. Was in limbo in arriving on a decision between 9700 and 9800 ... and after 2-3 days of reading reviews and forums, decided that the bold 9700 was a good buy 2 yrs back. So got the Torch. Touchpad, 512 RAM, 8GB storage and the new OS 6 were the few things that tilted the decision to this mighty blackberry. So far, loving it (from the perspective of a Blackberry newbie!)

Any tips on what to do next (ie. settings, refinement etc) for a joyful experience?
Old 15th November 2010, 00:57   #2887
BHPian

@TNerd welcome to blackberry and congrats on your purchase. Documents to go is your best friend for all office documents and comes with a pdf reader when you buy along with multi-format support. Be-buzz/who is it? Are Led apps so you know who is calling before you see the screen. Waze is a navigation app and fairly well covered here on t-bhp. And yes *PLEASE* remember to hide 'vodafone live!' Browser. If you are a twitter user subscribe to @BlackberryHelp

if you are an audiophile and don't mind spending the money get the sennheiser MM-50 corded headset it will make a brilliant companion. If you have the in-ear headset from BB then knock yourself out. It is brilliant! And yes get a BB case. The back-panel is a metal/magnetic case inside the sheathing and puts your phone into sleep mode saving lots of battery!
Old 15th November 2010, 01:58   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@neilguy the 681 from east asia does not work properly in india. Believe me I tried and the .822 is riddled with bugs currently the stablest release for the 8520 is the .509 the version I'm running -> 8520/5.0.0.509 it has app version 5.2.0.47 and is called the 806 package update. There was a 552 also available but they pulled it down.

@harry10 is yours a enterprise server linked phone? If so then you have to contact IT in your company for any upgrade in applications. They are all policy controlled. If it is a private phone please see here -> https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...2B6049B8D9A202

Select your phone> Download> search for vendor.xml and delete it(DO NO MISS THIS STEP)> open BBDM> backup device> either run update or use loader.exe in the same folder to update handheld. That's it you are DONE!
Downloaded the software.
Deleted the vendor file.
However when on bbdm i select update my device it says no new versions available to update.
Same happens when i try loader.

WHat to do?
Old 15th November 2010, 07:02   #2889
BHPian

@harry10 did you try using the loader.exe file that's in the folder just on or two above where you deleted vendor.xml
Old 15th November 2010, 09:43   #2890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Downloaded the software.
Deleted the vendor file.
However when on bbdm i select update my device it says no new versions available to update.
Same happens when i try loader.

WHat to do?
Don't use BBDM to update your phone. Just to backup the phone before you update so you can restore all your contacts, messages and settings in case it's not done automatically.

Quote:
@harry10 did you try using the loader.exe file that's in the folder just on or two above where you deleted vendor.xml
As Valhallen rightly said, after you delete the vendor.xml, run the loader.exe file (in the same folder) and it'll start the update installer. The rest is to just follow the prompts. Good luck.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:43   #2891
BHPian

Use the loader.exe file and not BBM desktop software.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:47   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
I got now trillion. Not so bad for Rs.240/-
I just did not want to logon and run many messenger programs. I have friends online on yahoo, gchat, aim and msn.
(I used LCG Slick when I had a Windows mobile. that was a free beta version)

So i run only Trillion and BB messenger now for the purpose.
Have you tried Meebo for FREE. It's also a sweet alternative to all the other multi messengers out there.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:46   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me why the pictures/videos taken on the torch are not visible from Torch interface, but its visible on my PC (using the BB desktop manager)?

I could not find a file explorer app on the BB OS. How do I browse through the files system in blackberry device?
Old 15th November 2010, 10:56   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You won't find one. Here's the details of my phone 8520/5.0.0.509 this is the stablest version. Now the reason why you won't find a review is coz there are just sooooooooo many versions of it. Most importantly it let's you use all the new apps. The integration in some apps is better. Better themes. *slight* Faster boot times, app load times, better batt usage, slightly better menus and icons, the media player is better looking.

Downside. Too many apps/themes bog it down. You can imagine I've come back to precision zen after every theme I have used.

Don't know if this is an upside or downside. With os 5 you don't have to do the keypad lock followed by the sleep mode with play/pause key. Using either the play/pause key or holding down A will do the same thing: go straight to sleep. App controls I found a little easier and overall the os is friendlier.

However do not get the singapore tele/east asia version AFAIK it keeps losing reception. I do unofficial support for blackberry for one of the stores here coz the store manager is a friend. I've seen three phones not including mine having issues with east asia oses though they are lighter.
Ok, I've downloaded the Wind Hellas .509, as well as Redington's official .592 versions. Confused about which one to upgrade to.

My 8520 was bought as an unlocked piece, with an official Redington India 18 month warranty. So I should be going towards .592 right?

What are the major differences between so many versions of the same OS 5 floating around on the www?
Old 15th November 2010, 11:07   #2895
BANNED

Slightly OT:

Just saw than some vendors of Imports in rimweb are now selling CDMA phones with IMEI registrations. Thus these become functionally 'official' Reliance / Tata handsets. These chaps are often at 50-60% of the official price. Also, saw Reliance BBs going cheaper than the official price on futurebazaar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks