Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 10:24   #1606
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Is the EXIF data available with the third party lenses on A7II? If not, I would just skip considering them.

I do some processing with my images. I have an API that reads my EXIF data and I do some analytics on my images. So I would definitely need my RAW images to have associated EXIF data with them.

Could you confirm if the third party lenses do transfer EXIF data to the camera? I learned that the Voigtländer does not, hence my doubts!

Waiting until this Christmas, we should also be getting the rumoured A7SII which would perhaps drag the A7II and A7RII prices down!

Last edited by joe1980 : 26th August 2015 at 10:25.
Old 26th August 2015, 13:38   #1607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is the EXIF data available with the third party lenses on A7II? If not, I would just skip considering them.

I do some processing with my images. I have an API that reads my EXIF data and I do some analytics on my images. So I would definitely need my RAW images to have associated EXIF data with them.

Could you confirm if the third party lenses do transfer EXIF data to the camera? I learned that the Voigtländer does not, hence my doubts!

Waiting until this Christmas, we should also be getting the rumoured A7SII which would perhaps drag the A7II and A7RII prices down!
If you have an electronic AF adapter like Canon adapters there will be exif.
On manual lenses and with manual adapters, you won't get anything.
It depends on which lens and adapter you need to use
Old 26th August 2015, 17:21   #1608
BHPian

I'm definitely going to wait before I pull the trigger for an A7II because of this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/and-h...or-in-october/

The game is heating up! The price for a Leica AF system seems scary though!

Last edited by joe1980 : 26th August 2015 at 17:38.
Old 26th August 2015, 17:50   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Leica will price it 2k higher than Sony and that will still be exclusive camera. If you have funds for leica you would have already been knee deep in a leica. If you are going to get into leica it just means you are going to break the bank pretty hard. And their non af lenses cost a kidney so their af will end up costing two kidneys and a lung
Old 26th August 2015, 21:45   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Unlike a olympus or Fuji Sony sucks when it comes to Jpeg and its better to shoot in Raw. Battery life is not a big problem when you have usb charging. YOu can even charge it in your car, railway station or any outlet point.
Battery life is a big issue for certain kinds of shoots. My friend was shooting with the A6000, he missed quite a few interesting moments because his battery conked off. But yes, if one carries 2 or 3 batteries, then its ok. As long as one takes preemptive measures and changes the battery during a dull moment.

Quote:
Alternatively please dont over look Olympus E5II. The best AF in the world
Really? For what? Lock on? Tracking? People must be silly to spend more money on D4S and 1DXs for shooting action - if they could get along with a much lighter kit
Old 26th August 2015, 22:35   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Leica will price it 2k higher than Sony and that will still be exclusive camera. If you have funds for leica you would have already been knee deep in a leica. If you are going to get into leica it just means you are going to break the bank pretty hard. And their non af lenses cost a kidney so their af will end up costing two kidneys and a lung
Completely agree with you. It is going to be insanely priced!

Honestly, as sonyalpharumors claim, I do not see this beefily priced Leica AF camera to be a competitor for the Sony FF cameras. It is going to cost more than 8000$ just for the body and another couple of thousands for the lenses. So I doubt that this will take Sony FF E-Mount customers to buy into the Leica system.

Another factor is the time to market and Leica is very bad in that aspect. I'm not sure if this new camera from Leica would be available for sale this December. Going by what they have done in the past, it is easily an average of one year before they could mass produce this new system for end users. That is an ample time for Sony to release at least 4 more new FF bodies.

I'm surprised as to why Canon and Nikon are just not going mirrorless? Fuji on the other hand not attempting to roll out an FF mirrorless!

I'm still holding on to purchasing the A7II with the Loxia! I might explore a bit on the other lens options with good adapters that would transfer EXIF data to the camera. I will post them here as I find them!

Last edited by joe1980 : 26th August 2015 at 22:37.
Old 26th August 2015, 23:45   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really? For what? Lock on? Tracking? People must be silly to spend more money on D4S and 1DXs for shooting action - if they could get along with a much lighter ki
1DX and D4s have more than just tracking going on. They are speed monsters. Unless you have used a 1 series or the D(234) series of nikon you will never realise the speed you are missing on some of the other cameras.

There is no way i am mounting a 500mm on a a7R II and trying to get picture or on a olympus. In fact the Olympus is so small that even a 70-200 looks so imbalanced and people end up beefing the camera to manage the weight balance.

In the world of mirrorless and4/3rds the AF champion to me is the Olympus. The speed at which the camera lens combo tracks is as good as any dslr if not better.

A professional living on the picture he takes will hardly take a chance with an Olympus. For every other user, the compromise between size and speed and higher keepers is their own choice.

Aftre using 1D and moving to Sony and then to Fuji, to me Fuji is so slow that i usually have to time a shot knowing its going to take the camera to react and take a picture much longer.

Even A7 and A7R has lags that are in comparison TERRIBLE to any DSLR. The pro cameras are ready to capture a moment ALL THE TIME. The 1DX and D4s are so fast that everything else i have used after that is JUST darn SLOW.

But look at me now using a Fuji X-E2 and working around the limitation. People were taking pictures even with a film camera waiting to wind after each shot let alone talk about multiple shots. So the basics if strong you can manage with even an Olympus.

Quote:
I'm still holding on to purchasing the A7II with the Loxia! I might explore a bit on the other lens options with good adapters that would transfer EXIF data to the camera. I will post them here as I find them!
As TSK mentioned unless you have an electornic chip that transmits information you wont have the exif. I still use lenses that were manufactured in 1930's and my canon 0.95 does not transmit any data. But each picture speaks for itself. I could hardly care about EXIF
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-17801155700_8977fe105a_o.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-17491854035_b54a20e308_o.jpg  

Old 13th September 2015, 09:59   #1613
BHPian

Sony just announced the A7S successor, the A7S2!

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a7sii-announced/

I'm not so very impressed with the spec! The 12 MP is simply just not enough!
Old 13th September 2015, 18:40   #1614
Senior - BHPian

@Joe1980

12MP is plenty enough for a poster. I still like my 12MP 5D of long time back. Still i print 16*20.

This megapixel myth needs more understanding. A7sII is a beast for what it offers for Video graphers. Sony is very clear on the market and that’s where you have the A7rII for the megapixel lovers.

A7SII is perfect for even wedding photographers with the increased ability to shoot at shutter speeds faster than ever inside those low lit churches and marriage halls makes it a killer camera.

90% of the pictures shot are never printed. 10% of the pictures printed are hardly at sizes above 20*16.

If you're shooting is ending up in FB, whats app, Flickr and not getting printed, even a 2MP is handful.

Think of A7sII as a video camera than can shoot 12MP pictures in FF. This video sensor can see darkness in a way at 4K that is not possible by any other camera in the world and yet shoot videos that will blow your mind away.
Old 13th September 2015, 20:54   #1615
BHPian

Yes you are right in a sense that most of the photos end up in Facebook, though I do not have one. I post my pictures to flickr and I constantly do some analytics on the set of pictures that I have. So the MP size does not really matter. This camera definitely looks interesting!

Here is what the sizes look like on a wall!

http://www.portraitpainting.com/how-big-is/16-x-20.html

Is there a relation between the sensor size, MP count and picture sharpness?
Old 13th September 2015, 21:27   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a relation between the sensor size, MP count and picture sharpness?

There is definitely a relationship but its too technical. In simple terms if you dont print, dont worry about MP,

Imagine those movie posters that you see while driving. Those are printed at around 70-90 DPI. The same picture to see in a magazine cover or a 8*12 print needs to be around 300 DPI.

How much a picture is going to look pixelated at what distance is where you need those extra mega pixels.

If you are going to print something that will be hanging on the wall, less that 5% of the time is when you will be looking at it at less than 5mm distance.

In that case those 16*20 prints can be printed at 200 DPI and still look fabulous on the wall and for that you may not need more than 4-8MP max.

Technically - This 8*12 Print at 300 DPI would require a camera to print something at 8*300 x 12*300 - Which is like 2400*3600. A 3MP camera can print at 2048*1536 which is like 7*5 print. So if 3MP is used to print something at 16*20 you need to be standing at a distance which is farther than what you would do with a say 8MP camera.

Sharpness depends on other factors including contrast, the sensor, the AA filter, the LENS used, and most importantly the photographer itself

Last edited by VW2010 : 13th September 2015 at 21:44.
Old 14th September 2015, 15:53   #1617
BHPian

The A7SII is something that I might consider buying. I will wait for the first version to roll out. I want to see it's low light AF performance. I'm guessing that it should be improved at least from what I read here:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/0...ships-october/
Old 14th September 2015, 19:59   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to see it's low light AF performance
Its going to be better with 160 additional af points but not close to the AF module in the A7rII. The biggest advantage is the low light performance.

Most of my lenses are manual so AF is not a big concern for me. The lenses i have if i can let them shoot at those ISO, i can take hand held milky way landscapes without having to worry about cleaning the picture or stacking.

Its definitely a different camera. What i am waiting to see is the DR and how the expanded ISO is going to impact the pictures.

In reality if the on camera sensor sensitivity can capture better shadows it may actually be better in real life. But if the amplification is done by manipulating the picture taken and recovery of shadow is done, i am not sure if A7SII is going to be drastically different to A7S itself.

The Nikon D810 is the best DR camera currently available. Shooting low and recovering shadows in post processing yeilds far cleaner results than shooting at high ISO in the first place.

What i was expecting from Sony was to create a 12 MP sensor with even bigger photosites there by capturing more detail per pixel at those low ISO's. That to me would have been a killer.

They have not touched the sensor whatsoever.

But its Sony, they are the masters of Sensor design and i wont be surprised they are already working on the A7SIII with a newer sensor and probably include a dual layer that can capture both B&W and Color to get the best out of a picture in terms of colors as well as DR and ISO.
Old 26th September 2015, 08:39   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Picked up an A7rII for an unbelievable deal. Will be shooting tomorrow and mostly tonight (a couple of land scapes over NY).

Will share my feedback here. But so far in low light the AF with a wide angle 35mm lens is as good as some 1d series with such a razor thin dof.

Yet to even explore options.

Going to shoot the NY skyline in both 35mm and the 75mm. Lets see how the 42MP resolves.
Old 26th September 2015, 09:54   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up an A7rII for an unbelievable deal. Will be shooting tomorrow and mostly tonight (a couple of land scapes over NY).

Will share my feedback here. But so far in low light the AF with a wide angle 35mm lens is as good as some 1d series with such a razor thin dof.

Yet to even explore options.

Going to shoot the NY skyline in both 35mm and the 75mm. Lets see how the 42MP resolves.
Cool! What was that deal? Hope you do not mind sharing it! Did you also try the A7SII? Please post some low light shots. I would be interested to take a look!

Most Viewed