Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 18:21   #1516
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Hmm, time to talk cameras again.

I like reviews from Robin Wong of Malaysia, who despite being an Olympus employee, writes a very interesting unbiased reviews of OM-D cameras. Unlike Dpreview reviews, his review are full of hands-on stuff and stunning photographs to show the capability of the camera.

The full review of OM-D E-M5 Mark II: http://robinwong.blogspot.in/2015/02...ii-review.html

Additional stuff on 40MP mode and high-iso ability: http://robinwong.blogspot.in/2015/02...review_10.html

Right now my wife is looking for a camera. I am planning on giving my E-M5 to her with the original 12-50mm kit lens, and use the newer E-M5 Mark II with 12-40mm lens.

Now the question of sourcing it... Olympus India prices have gone nuts, they are charging 50% over international price for any item. Need to source it from abroad. The search is on...
Old 28th February 2015, 11:16   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Recently purchased my first mirrorless, the Sony a6000 with kit lens. What an amazing piece of equipment! Having good fun with it. Would surely recommend for anyone looking for a compact camera with stellar performance. Here's an image that I recently clicked.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-a6000_minimin.jpg  

Old 28th February 2015, 18:53   #1518
Distinguished - BHPian

What can I say. I have ben using my Olympys OMD -EM5 for over two years now and have never looked back. A few weeks ago I bought the new 40-150 Pro Zoom. Stunning quality. But heavy, compared to my "plastic zoom". Glass, lots of it weighs in, but it is definitely worth it!

Since the EM5 several new models have been released. Im not so much of upgrading my gear all the time. i spend quite a bit of time researching new kit and thenI stick with it for many years, until essentially it becomes unreliable.

Interesting to see more and more professional photographers moving to this standard.

Jeroen
Old 28th February 2015, 22:05   #1519
Senior - BHPian

I handled the EM-5 II at a local store here in Germany. I was looking to upgrade my GX1 but I just couldn't fathom the Olympus menus. Even ergonomics were a tad worse compared to my GX7. As much as I want to buy an OMD looks like I will have to wait for the next iteration of the GX series.
Old 1st March 2015, 01:06   #1520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now the question of sourcing it... Olympus India prices have gone nuts, they are charging 50% over international price for any item. Need to source it from abroad. The search is on...
Got the OMD EM5 MkII (silver body) in Japan for ¥110400 on Feb 21st, that's about ₹57K. Now waiting for my friend to bring it back to India, should be in my hand next week. The current EM5 goes to the wifey.
Old 1st March 2015, 12:57   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

I even thought of selling my EM1 but Olympus' constant efforts to improve it thru software/firmware updates now makes me want to retain it. A lovely camera. I use it exclusively with the 12-40 2.8 lens. My m43 primes were sold off last year. This zoom all I need in the M43 system for now. May buy a 40-150 or a 300 F/4 some day if funds permit.

The Fuji XE1 works on and off for me. I share this camera with the wife.
Old 1st March 2015, 16:17   #1522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I even thought of selling my EM1 but Olympus' constant efforts to improve it thru software/firmware updates now makes me want to retain it.
Before taking the plunge into EM5 MkII, I seriously considered the EM1, mainly for the PDAF and the grip. But couldn't abide with paying the same or more money than EM5 MkII for a camera that is 1.5 years old with everything else pretty much same. Besides, the High Res Shot is very interesting.
Old 1st March 2015, 17:59   #1523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Before taking the plunge into EM5 MkII, I seriously considered the EM1, mainly for the PDAF and the grip. But couldn't abide with paying the same or more money than EM5 MkII for a camera that is 1.5 years old with everything else pretty much same
I agree. The law of diminishing returns applies to digital cameras more strongly as the models age. So it's better (with exceptions of course) to opt for a newer model than an older one.

It's been a great camera to take along when I want a lightweight kit. And it is relatively discrete, not attracting unwanted attention the way my FF kit does. While I appreciate the larger sensor of the Fuji, it's the Olympus that gets used more often. I got a battery grip and a extra battery to improve on the ergonomics) and extend time between charges. Unfortunately I haven't put that grip and extra battery to much use.

Held back from buying the new 40-150 zoom and other lenses because I wasn't sure if I wanted to retain the m43 system, instead preferring Fuji for its larger/better sensors. But Oly's efforts at offering free incremental improvements via firmware continue to impress me. Any other manufacturer, especially Nikon & Canon, would have probably released a new model.
Old 1st March 2015, 18:52   #1524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But Oly's efforts at offering free incremental improvements via firmware continue to impress me. Any other manufacturer, especially Nikon & Canon, would have probably released a new model.
That is the reason why I haven't been able to ditch Olympus. When I sold my 4/3 system, I could have moved to any camp. But the constant innovation coming out of Olympus camp was too enticing. Also, they don't cripple their lesser bodies to protect their flag ships. All the newer bodies get the latest stuff unless it is too expensive, and old bodies get firmware updates.
Old 1st March 2015, 18:55   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Oly's efforts at offering free incremental improvements via firmware continue to impress me
Fuji is very famous for this including offering firmware for its lenses. From the earliest version of X-E1 to their current E2 there is always a new firmware introducing soft options as well as trying something new.

I love the Fuji. Their lenses are far superior than most of the manufacturers and their 18-55 can give any prime lens a run for its money.

Some of their prime lenses are so highly optimized for its sensor and the size and ease is always an advantage.

I always use my canon set up on Fuji and have always been impressed with the results. I consolidated my canon set up to retain an 85L and a 135 APO lens. And these are the two lenses always on my Fuji.

I used to have an olympus with the sigma 50-500 purely for its 2X crop and reach. Now thinking of getting the Nikon V series which has 2.6 Crop and a great tool for wildlife.
Old 1st March 2015, 21:33   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. The law of diminishing returns applies to digital cameras more strongly as the models age. So it's better (with exceptions of course) to opt for a newer model than an older one.
Wouldn't that mean that you have less incentive to upgrade?

Quote:
That is the reason why I haven't been able to ditch Olympus. When I sold my 4/3 system, I could have moved to any camp.
Did you not consider the Sony cameras? IQ should be better. Lens choices, perhaps not. I am not that familiar with the pros and cons of the relative systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I used to have an olympus with the sigma 50-500 purely for its 2X crop and reach. Now thinking of getting the Nikon V series which has 2.6 Crop and a great tool for wildlife.
Well...there are pros and cons for using that for wildlife.

Btw, this is my personal view regarding upgrading: one doesn't go for the best option, but one goes for the option that involves the least compromises, given ones needs and wants.
Old 1st March 2015, 21:42   #1527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Did you not consider the Sony cameras? IQ should be better. Lens choices, perhaps not. I am not that familiar with the pros and cons of the relative systems.
This is what I said in 2012 before I plunged into olympus back again.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2897942 (Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2965112 (Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras)
Old 2nd March 2015, 06:52   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, this is my personal view regarding upgrading: one doesn't go for the best option, but one goes for the option that involves the least compromises, given ones needs and wants.
Upgrade is just over stated. i still use my 4MP canon 1D that i cannot shoot anywhere above ISo400. The Fuji X-E2 is actually my wifes camera. I invested in lenses than bodies. F1.2 to F2 Primes is what i have.

I will upgrade body always one generation older to simply save money. Even now i will wait for the next two iteration of cameras before thinking of picking another camera.
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:56   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Upgrade is just over stated. i still use my 4MP canon 1D that i cannot shoot anywhere above ISo400. I invested in lenses than bodies. F1.2 to F2 Primes is what i have.
I don't agree with that. You said you also shoot wildlife. That is one genre where performance (AF, low light capabilities, buffer etc.) matters a lot.

Unless you have different expectations.
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:01   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Wouldn't that mean that you have less incentive to upgrade?
Of course and that's the reason why I haven't upgraded my FF cameras even though newer models have been released. No hesitation in admitting my cameras' capabilities exceed my skills as a photographer. While an upgrade is always exciting I'd rather utilise the funds in either upgrading my skills, going on photo shoots OR, my favourite option, buying good glass.

Quote:
I love the Fuji. Their lenses are far superior than most of the manufacturers and their 18-55 can give any prime lens a run for its money.
+1, Fuji's glass is very good.

Quote:
But the constant innovation coming out of Olympus camp was too enticing. Also, they don't cripple their lesser bodies to protect their flag ships. All the newer bodies get the latest stuff unless it is too expensive, and old bodies get firmware updates.
+1 again. ILC sales have plateaued and this is probably one of the reasons for customers not willing to bite into that upgrade 'apple' again and again.

Here's a recent example of what Olympus did with their latest firmware release for the EM1:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/742...re-version-3-0

To quote: "The newest firmware upgrade features an enhanced algorithm for phase-detection, raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps"

Now, contrast this with what Nikon did with the D4 and then with the D4s. The D4s is 11 FPS v/s the D4 @ 10 FPS in CH shooting mode. IMO, this feat and other tricks like group area focus etc. could have been accomplished with a firmware upgrade instead of implementation via an ASIC i.e. the EXPEED 4 imaging engine. The base AF module is the same, the FF CAM 3500 in both cameras.

A marked contrast between manufacturers and it underlines what I said earlier. Small incremental upgrades being introduced in new models instead of firmware improvements. If Olympus could increase frame rates by 2.5 fps AND introduce continuous AF at that setting there's no reason, IMO, why Nikon could not have done that. Of course, there are rumours there will be a firmware update that will bring some of the newer AF features, primarily group area AF to the older D4 and D800/E range. But sometimes I believe it is just wishful thinking. Nikon isn't known to do this. Hope Oly sets a new trend. Customers will be more appreciative of such efforts by manufacturers than an attempt to skim the market for more $$$ thru newer models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks