Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 14:18   #916
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Anyone got the experience to share with Microsoft Surface RT (pro is yet to come)?
I hardly see a mention in this thread. Its a quality product indeed, saw good reviews on gadget guru, lets see once we start getting some users to provide practical reviews /inputs on that.
Yes, I own one for a month now. It is really a great product and has practically replaced my laptop. Let me know if you have any particular question.
Old 19th December 2012, 14:53   #917
Senior - BHPian

I got this mail from ebay today. Seems like a good vgm product considering its a 3G enabled tab. I have not seen this in person yet so dont know about its built quality and UI. Thought i should post here for benefit of all.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_5735wt_971

Detailed specs. Source Lenovo USA

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/te...ideatab/a2107/

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 19th December 2012 at 14:58.
Old 19th December 2012, 14:54   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Yes, I own one for a month now. It is really a great product and has practically replaced my laptop. Let me know if you have any particular question.
Wow. Great. Can you post a few pics? Also, please let us know what you think of the display (lots of reviewers were deriding it), and the touch cover. How easy is it to use the touch cover? Do you think a type cover will be better? Also, how is the office experience on RT?
Old 19th December 2012, 15:27   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Wow. Great. Can you post a few pics? Also, please let us know what you think of the display (lots of reviewers were deriding it), and the touch cover. How easy is it to use the touch cover? Do you think a type cover will be better? Also, how is the office experience on RT?
Will take few pictures when I go home. Touch cover is quite nice. You can use it like a cover for the tablet when not used. Typing is easy, you need few minutes to get used to it but after that you can type as fast as a regular keyboard. That is one thing that really trumps other tablets. I tried the type cover in the store, it is like an added keyboard, nice but adds weight and bulk.
Also there are other things that Apple users can only dream !!
a) Support for additional storage for music and video.
b) HDMI out with external monitor support, you can clone, extend your display
c) USB port, can use thumb drive, mouse, printers etc. Actually the support for printer natively is a big deal for me as I can walk to my printer and connect it.

Office is very usable. I tried office and powerpoint. It is as good or as bad as a PC. Excel can be used but I prefer a mouse which you can add using the USB port.

Now we go to the display question. A caveat, I work for a major semiconductor manufacturer probably the largest mobile processor maker. I lead the display research and architecture for one family and know little about the display :-) So you can probably take my opinions over most reviewers !!
Or you can take Ray Soneira's analysis
http://www.displaymate.com/Surface_RT_ShootOut_1.htm

The display is lower resolution, 1366x768 for a 10" inch tablet was good enough couple of years back but now Apple and Samsung is playing the resolution game. I don't really see any major disadvantage with the display except for resolution. The rendering of the font is quite nice and I hardly see any scaling errors. Color management is very good, so all colors are really saturated. So if you don't care about obscene resolutions like Nexus 10, you should be fine.
Old 19th December 2012, 19:24   #920
BHPian

I just did a factory reset on my Nexus 7 tablet and the difference in performance is night and day. I had got it just 2 days back and it was quite sluggish, even after applying all the latest OS updates. The home screen would not go to landscape mode etc. But after the reset, it's become highly responsive. Worth a try if you are experiencing similar issues.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:45   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
Would bringing a sealed box be a problem in airport? What precautions need to be taken?
If the person is carrying one too many electronic items/laptops, would advise bringing it without the box. As such, these days usually they pick persons with more than one laptop. I haven't faced any issues with other electronic items.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:49   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Will take few pictures when I go home. Touch cover is quite nice. A caveat, I work for a major semiconductor manufacturer probably the largest mobile processor maker. I lead the display research and architecture for one family and know little about the display :-) So you can probably take my opinions over most reviewers !!
Or you can take Ray Soneira's analysis
So you work for Qualcomm

Thanks for your review. Am looking forward to buying either an RT or Pro. Just got Nexus 7 (in fact I will get it in my hands day after tomorrow) so will have to wait a bit (have to convince the home minister you see) for the Surface.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:16   #923
BHPian

I too got the email - it is scheduled for release only mid-Jan 2013 !

As of now it is on pre-order :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I got this mail from ebay today. Seems like a good vgm product considering its a 3G enabled tab. I have not seen this in person yet so dont know about its built quality and UI. Thought i should post here for benefit of all.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_5735wt_971

Detailed specs. Source Lenovo USA

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/te...ideatab/a2107/

Regards,
Old 20th December 2012, 10:57   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
So you work for Qualcomm
I can neither confirm nor deny :-)
I am sure you will like Surface. Surface Pro is more expensive and less battery life but one should compare it to the Ultrabooks not tablets.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:49   #925
BHPian

Quote:

I am sure you will like Surface. Surface Pro is more expensive and less battery life but one should compare it to the Ultrabooks not tablets.
I don't think you will have some good app suites to work on Surface. You can just get it for proud factors. Surface pro is the one. It's an all rounder.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:16   #926
BHPian

Which one to go for??
Galaxy tab 2 or Nexus 7
Tab 2 is having SD card slot and camera while Nexus 7 is more powerful, screen quality is good but no sim and sd card and even no camera.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:22   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the review.
I understand pro version would be a good fit to replace a notebook, I'm still not sure if RT can replace a notebook! RT doesn't seem to have domain join capabilities or no other Intel based programs can be installed I guess. While, pro looks to be the perfect device to replace a notebook while on move.
I will share my experience if I get the RT.
Old 20th December 2012, 14:58   #928
Senior - BHPian

Bought the ipad Mini, 32 gb version (just 6K over the 16gb version according to the sales guy, and they were out of 16gb ones everywhere). Looks big enough compared to the 7 inch Android ones. Straight to using and loving it.
Old 20th December 2012, 15:06   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I don't think you will have some good app suites to work on Surface. You can just get it for proud factors. Surface pro is the one. It's an all rounder.
I am not sure what you mean by good app suites. The app store for Surface is coming up quite nicely over last one month. I need a fully working office suite, media player, a good browser and a good keyboard. Surface checks all of these points.
Also most of the apps that have been released for WP8 will migrate to Surface soon. This was the same excuse I used to hear for Android tablets and look where they are now.
There are lot of apps in iOS and Android which are nothing but a wrapper for web access. Surface practically works like a desktop and for many things I just use IE and the keyboard including posting here.
Old 20th December 2012, 15:47   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thank you for the review.
I understand pro version would be a good fit to replace a notebook, I'm still not sure if RT can replace a notebook! RT doesn't seem to have domain join capabilities or no other Intel based programs can be installed I guess. While, pro looks to be the perfect device to replace a notebook while on move.
I will share my experience if I get the RT.
For most of my desktop programs I connect to my desktop through remote desktop. I am not really power user so it works quite nicely for me. Surface pro is a laptop with detachable keyboard but for me it is too expensive and more power hungry.
One thing I like about the whole Surface/Windows8 system is the gesture integration. You can swipe to close programs, swipe a different way to bring other programs that are running in the background, split the screen to run two programs concurrently which initially I thought was a gimmick but turning out to be really useful feature.
Anyway we are a loyal windows mobile family, so it perfectly fits our eco-system

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks