Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 23:48   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Hi friends,

I came to this thread to check on user experiences of the Micromax Funbook and I must say, after browsing through the better part of the 2nd half of this thread, I am only more confused than the query I came with.

I'm on the look out for an economical but good tab, 7" will do just fine. Basically, one that will help reduce the need to haul around a laptop. Requirements are the standard: to store and view photos, movies, store and play songs, store and read PDFs, browse internet for news, social networking [Fb] and email.

Memory card support and scalability to 32gb is must. Front and rear camera preferred. Android ICS at minimum, but would love Jelly bean. Google Playstore support a must.

Now since reading the last ~20 pages, I'm confused between brands like Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II, WickedLeaks Wammy desire, Fronix Aurora II, Onda V712 16Gb, etc.. Which one is most reliable and safer to go with? initially Micromax Funbook Infinity was the one I came in looking for, but with these tablets sporting 1GB DDR3 RAM and processor exceeding 1.2Ghz, they seem more interesting..

I would however, NEED to toally avoid tablets which will:
a. require rooting, flashing, etc [like what madbullram had commented for Ainol brand]. I am technically challenged to even read and do all this myself [a personal crying shame, as a few years prior, I was a gadget guru for some].
b. Put me in a situation similar to what Astleviz was facing [device not booting].
c. Require me to go to China to fix issues. Local support is a big requirement [as you can now understand my challenge from point a.].

As for most things, started getting excited due to a price tag of 6.9K for the MF Infinity, but seems like I might have to shell a little more for more RAM and speedy processor. But I'd like to keep total expense under 10K rupees, lesser the better.

Last edited by k_ajay : 21st November 2012 at 00:00.
Old 21st November 2012, 02:24   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Hi could you pls explain in layman terms.
Not a very complex process once you get the hang of it. First you need to download and install Blackberry desktop manager from the BlackBerry site. Then shutdown the PB and connect it to your computer via usb. You should get an alert saying that desktop manager is unable to communicate with the connected device. The alert box will have an Update button. Click that and you should be able to download and reinstall the os. Before all this make sure your data is backed up because all data on the PB gets wiped. Make sure you have a reasonably fast connection. IIRC, the download is well over 1Gb. Also keep in mind that some people have managed to completely wreck their PBs trying to debrick so this is not for the faint hearted! Charge your PB before debricking. PM me if you need any other PB related assistance. This method sorted out my PB but may not work for you.
Old 21st November 2012, 16:54   #873
Senior - BHPian

Was preparing this for myself to see where the value lies.. Thought it might be useful for anyone considering the same tablets.

Name:  Tablets comparison  1.PNG
Views: 1062
Size:  46.8 KB

Last 2 Parameters masked by Tbhp watermark:
1) Weight of Tablet.
2) Price on Parent Site.

Name:  Tablets comparison  2.PNG
Views: 821
Size:  10.5 KB
1) English Manual.
2) Earphones.

Last edited by k_ajay : 21st November 2012 at 16:57. Reason: Adding text that is masked on the image by TBHP watermark.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:05   #874
Senior - BHPian

I have used the Ainol dual core tablet. Somehow, I don't like it much. The touch interface does seem to be inconsistent at times. I would go for a Nexus 7 or Samsung tab anyday.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:14   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi friends,

As for most things, started getting excited due to a price tag of 6.9K for the MF Infinity, but seems like I might have to shell a little more for more RAM and speedy processor. But I'd like to keep total expense under 10K rupees, lesser the better.
If you want to avoid all hassles, and happen to have someone in US, go for a Google Nexus 7. Is is only $199 for 16 GB and $249 for 32 GB
Old 24th November 2012, 12:13   #876

Quote:
Hi friends,

I'm on the look out for an economical but good tab, 7" will do just fine. Basically, one that will help reduce the need to haul around a laptop. Requirements are the standard: to store and view photos, movies, store and play songs, store and read PDFs, browse internet for news, social networking [Fb] and email.

Memory card support and scalability to 32gb is must. Front and rear camera preferred. Android ICS at minimum, but would love Jelly bean. Google Playstore support a must.

Now since reading the last ~20 pages, I'm confused between brands like Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II, WickedLeaks Wammy desire, Fronix Aurora II, Onda V712 16Gb, etc.. Which one is most reliable and safer to go with? initially Micromax Funbook Infinity was the one I came in looking for, but with these tablets sporting 1GB DDR3 RAM and processor exceeding 1.2Ghz, they seem more interesting..
Exactly similar requirement I am hunting for. Not even a single point left out, I have almost finalized on Micromax Funbook Infinity, I was unaware of the brands you mentioned above. With 1 GB Ram, those are definitely VFM.

Please keep me updated on your decision as I find myself weak in comparing or reviewing the products.

I can spend a maximum of 10k on a Tablet and definitely not more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
If you want to avoid all hassles, and happen to have someone in US, go for a Google Nexus 7. Is is only $199 for 16 GB and $249 for 32 GB
Yes, actually I thought of the same. But, it doesn't have Front/Rear cameras and most importantly, the lack of micro sd slot. Else It is definitely a VFM.
Old 24th November 2012, 12:22   #877
BHPian

I'm looking for a 7" tablet with USB OTG feature not just for charging but also for accessing data from portable HDD. I tried Google but can't get much help.Anyone knows if there is any tablet which supports this feature with/out some modification?
Old 24th November 2012, 17:45   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I'm looking for a 7" tablet with USB OTG feature not just for charging but also for accessing data from portable HDD.
Most tablets support it. The ones with a full size USB port are the easiest to work with. Some HDDs require more power, so, an auxiliary 5v power supply / powered USB hub is required.

eg. HCL me U1, Micromax funbook
Old 24th November 2012, 19:30   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Most tablets support it. The ones with a full size USB port are the easiest to work with. Some HDDs require more power, so, an auxiliary 5v power supply / powered USB hub is required.

eg. HCL me U1, Micromax funbook
Thanx. but what about Galaxy 2 7", Nexus 7" and BB Playbook 7"? Acc. to specs these don't support this feature.
Old 24th November 2012, 20:41   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Thanx. but what about Galaxy 2 7", Nexus 7" and BB Playbook 7"? Acc. to specs these don't support this feature.
There might be hacks for that. Basically, using external power and data pins from micro USB + some driver for host mode.

Search xda-developers for more

Last edited by JustCause : 24th November 2012 at 20:51.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:22   #881

I am greatly confused between Apple iPad2 16 GB (wi-fi only) and Samsung Galaxy tab2 P310.
I have increased my budget 20k max. Please guide me, if anybody have an experience with both the tablets.
I am not much into Processors, RAM. I will be using mainly for recreational purposes. No hardcore gaming.

Advantages of iPad 2(wi-fi) over Tab2:

1. Better display.
2. Better Camera.
3. 9.7 inch display compared to 7 inch display of Tab2.
4. Apple Brand (Status Quotient).

Advantages of Tab2 over iPad2(wi-fi)

1. 3G Browsing.
2. Voice Call facility.
3. Micro-sd slot.
4. USB support ( Pen drives can be used)
5. Android apps are very much liberal compared to iOS
6. Tension free Samsung service

I am much inclined towards Galaxy Tab2 but Apple 'Brand' is pulling me towards it.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:30   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Don't have anyone I know coming soon. But Nexus 7 does not have capacity to expand memory and no camera is a bit of a minus. Otherwise a great tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
Exactly similar requirement I am hunting for. Not even a single point left out, I have almost finalized on Micromax Funbook Infinity, I was unaware of the brands you mentioned above. With 1 GB Ram, those are definitely VFM.

Please keep me updated on your decision as I find myself weak in comparing or reviewing the products.

I can spend a maximum of 10k on a Tablet and definitely not more than that.
Hi there, looks like that makes two of us. After seeing the other chinese tablets, my mind started exploring as it always does. Even I find these tabs more VFM with 1Gb ram. MF infinity is 7K anyway. Another 3K sounds ok for a much better tab.

After a little research, I've concluded that unless you want to be stuck with tablets with 512 RAM OR spend US$199+ for branded tablets, spending on leading Chinese tablets like Ainol and Onda are the way to go. But from what I've read around from blogs and forums is that these devices might neet rooting, flashing and what have you, for making them more stable/receive updates that matter, etc.. That's not saying that such efforts is a must, but its what most geeks do. I'm a little challenged there, but what the heck! One must learn at some point.

I've finalised on Ainol Flame 7, it's an awesome tablet and can be had for under INR 10K. Check here: http://www.ainolstore.com/ainol-novo...blets-pcs.html .

Also can be bought here: http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo...id-tablet.html.

Flame and Fire are the same product, just different name branding. Some websites claim that Flame is the international 'English' version of the product, whereas 'Fire' is meant for local Chinese market..

Keep an eye on this site as well; they don't have stock but they ship for free: http://www.mp4nation.net/tablets-phones/ainol-tablets

If you don't need metallic flavored back plate and 5mp camera, this is a model I'd shortlisted as a backup:

http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v712...hdmi-wifi.html . Much cheaper and major difference is it only has a 2mp camera at the rear.

I will be buying next week from http://www.ainol-novo.com. They have the Flame in stock and US$159.99 is good price for me. Including shipping to India, it would be US$175.49. So price is almost or under INR 10K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
Yes, actually I thought of the same. But, it doesn't have Front/Rear cameras and most importantly, the lack of micro sd slot. Else It is definitely a VFM.
Yep. Exact same reasons I didn't want to go for the Nexus. Otherwise I love Asus and their products. They're a wonderful company.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:45   #883
Senior - BHPian

Finally Bought an iPad 3 4th Generation Wifi 16GB Black from US on Black Friday Deals from BestBuy for $458.58 including taxes and iPad Red Smart Case from Apple Store for $35.95 including taxes.
Got a very best deal that day and finally ended up saving some 72$.
will be shipped to me by one of the friend by Dec 25 and my son is very much eager for his iPad Arrival.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:54   #884
BANNED

Anybody with some experience with WickedLeak Tablets? A model called wammy desire seems very good.
Dual Core 1.5 Ghz, 1GB RAM. For 6500 only.
From the benchmark results on websites, it is twice as fast as the competing tabs from lava, micromax etc.
But only available online. Please share if you have info. About these tabs.
Old 26th November 2012, 13:32   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be buying next week from http://www.ainol-novo.com. They have the Flame in stock and US$159.99 is good price for me. Including shipping to India, it would be US$175.49. So price is almost or under INR 10K.
Just learnt that www.ainol-novo.com is not Ainol's official site. A friend says www.spemall.com can be a little more trust worthy [than this site and www.pandawill.com].

Please use your discretion before you place an order. I will however update here when I place the order, in case you're looking to use the same retailer.

Good luck!

Most Viewed