Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2012, 16:50   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l

Hi

I agree with u, since its only $50 (2500 rs) approx i am thinking is it worth paying that extra or just get 3G activated on my existing number and use teethering when out of wifi zone. Also if i am using internet via mobile hot spot; do i get proper 3G speeds or i loose out on speeds?

Thanks
Do get native 3g access. I had a similar situation,and went the 3g way.
Just a toggle,and im online or off. It hard to do the dance of balancing battery life with the phone.
100 bucks a month on a prepaid sim oughta be fine.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:45   #857
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Got 7" Galaxy Tab 2 (P3100) for $215 (Rs 11,505), the 8GB Wifi version. I was un-decided between the higher processor of Nexus 7 versus the external storage option in Tab 2. Finally went for Tab 2 and found use for the extra 16GB microsd card which I had.

I got a USB adaptor from ebay and I have ordered a case from Flipkart. I didn't go for screen guard since it affects the touch sensitivity
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I am not sure if i should get wifi only or wifi+3g.
In my case, I have my phone for email, calendar & emergency browsing. I didn't want to spend extra for 3G sim, data plan & extra for 3G option in tablet. Hence went for wifi only model.
Old 6th November 2012, 14:29   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Got 7" Galaxy Tab 2 (P3100) for $215 (Rs 11,505), the 8GB Wifi version. I was un-decided between the higher processor of Nexus 7 versus the external storage option in Tab 2. Finally went for Tab 2 and found use for the extra 16GB microsd card which I had.

I got a USB adaptor from ebay and I have ordered a case from Flipkart. I didn't go for screen guard since it affects the touch sensitivity

In my case, I have my phone for email, calendar & emergency browsing. I didn't want to spend extra for 3G sim, data plan & extra for 3G option in tablet. Hence went for wifi only model.
Thats one hell of a deal. Last I checked it was only the WiFi Model that was sold for ~$225. And this was for 350 odd.

Could you let me know where you got this from? Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 16:02   #859
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a Tablet with 3G sim support and USB internet dongle support in around Rs 10k?
Any screen size is ok, good battery life is preferred, Android is a must (lower versions ok, provided upgrade is possible).
Any suggestions please?
Old 6th November 2012, 21:11   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Could you let me know where you got this from? Thanks
It was on Amazon. A friend got it for me.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:06   #861
Senior - BHPian

So Nexus 7 will go on sale in India. 19999 for 16 GB model, WiFi.
Old 9th November 2012, 08:43   #862
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Asus has just launched the 16 GB Wi-fi Nexus 7 @ Rs. 19,999. On the expensive side IMO. The same tablet now costs only $199 in the US. I got mine a month ago through a family member returning from the UAE, after paying ~ Rs. 17,800, which is also not as inexpensive as getting it from the US.

Google's 7-incher is a fine, slick, quality tablet by any yardstick, but it does have a couple of weaknesses. Here is a quick summary of the Nexus 7:

The good:

1) Nice form factor, light weight, easy to grip the textured back & comfortable to hold with one hand
2) Smooth, very responsive HD screen with Gorilla glass
3) Fast & powerful nVidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor & graphics - tablet gamers will like it
4) Pure Android Jellybean experience - it's very smooth, enjoyable & updates available as soon as they are released
5) Can view Flash websites - I know, Adobe has shockingly discontinued Flash support for the latest Android versions, but one can still view Flash websites by installing older versions of Firefox and Dolphin browsers, among others, by just searching for "Flash for Jellybean" on Google Play and installing the relevant app

The average:

1) Battery - the screen & chip consume a fair amount of power, so don't expect the charge to last as long as on 10" tabs with bigger batteries

The bad:

1) The speaker - it's simply not loud enough! The placement at the rear is a drawback - let alone music or movies, even YouTube videos aren't loud enough
2) Wi-fi signal reception is not what one expects in a tab with otherwise excellent components - it manages to do the job though
3) Some features missing - rear camera, 3G, expandable storage, HDMI port (though I personally don't need them)

In short, the Nexus 7 is a fine effort by Google & Asus to give a quality tablet experience without charging Apple's astronomical prices. Definitely recommended and well worth a buy. One can get a sweet deal @ $199 if they have a friend or relative visiting from the US, where the 32 GB 3G & Wi-fi variant is also available @ $249.

Last edited by RSR : 9th November 2012 at 09:03.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:06   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So Nexus 7 will go on sale in India. 19999 for 16 GB model, WiFi.
Google Nexus 7 16 GB for Rs 14493 - Have not used this particular e-commerce site so am not sure how reliable they are but worth a try -
http://www.dealsupto.com/electronics...00-109269.html
Old 15th November 2012, 19:50   #864
Senior - BHPian

Re: iPad-ed !!!!

I am an iphone user. I do my daily browsing/FB etc on the phone and want a tablet to handle that. I want to avoid my laptop for all these. I want something that is not large and have good apps designed for tablets. Also want to watch movies while traveling.

I have shortlisted the Mini (mainly for apps and user experience) and Samsung tab(capacity, easier to load music/movies) . Which makes more sense? Should I wait for Nexus 10 or HTC
Old 15th November 2012, 21:54   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Google Nexus 7 16 GB for Rs 14493 - Have not used this particular e-commerce site so am not sure how reliable they are but worth a try -
http://www.dealsupto.com/electronics...00-109269.html
14.5k is cheap! hell its cheaper than in the US (costs 284 there with shipping and taxes from the playstore)! dunno how this particular etailer manages it..
Old 18th November 2012, 23:19   #866
BHPian

Playbook users, please stay away from the latest update 2.1.0.1088. I downloaded it and now my browser has become extremely buggy. Very disappointed.
Old 19th November 2012, 00:01   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83
Playbook users, please stay away from the latest update 2.1.0.1088. I downloaded it and now my browser has become extremely buggy. Very disappointed.
I updated my OS and everything seems to be working fine. You should consider debricking your PB. Worked wonders for me.
Old 19th November 2012, 13:33   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
You should consider debricking your PB. Worked wonders for me.
Hi could you pls explain in layman terms.
Old 19th November 2012, 19:14   #869
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy an iPad 3 16GB LTE model from US But I want to know which model of iPad will support Indian LTE Frequency Bands in future.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Model A1429 might be working in India, but there's no Indian Specific Model. As of now, Airtel LTE is using Band 40 2300 MHz
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
Old 20th November 2012, 14:39   #870

As of now no iPAD/iPhone will support Indian LTE frequencies. On top of that India uses LTE-TDD whereas most other places (except China and some other countries) use FDD version of LTE.

However you will have 3G speeds - although I have found most operators here have lesser version (only 7.2Mbps DL) for 3g as well and not the HSPA+.

Anirban

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks