Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 21:08   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

After vacillating for more than a year, I finally took the plunge for an iPad. The price in most shops and websites was Rs 31900 for the 16 GB iPad 4 with retina display, but I got it from Snapdeal for Rs 29328.

Ordered last Friday and got the piece from Bluedart on Tuesday, 5 days before the expected date. But I have not fully explored it owing to office pressure.

But the first impression has been great. Now it is time to read the manual and download some apps.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:43   #1247
Team-BHP Support

Kindle Fire now available in India
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tablets/news...n-india-378983
Old 14th June 2013, 17:47   #1248
BHPian

Any Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6200) users here? If so, what version of Android are you running? Mine is on 4.0.4 (ICS) and when i connect it to Kies it says its the latest firmware. The 4.1.2 update has been released abroad. I'm tired of waiting for it to release in India. My tab has become a bit laggy (have tons of apps installed). So thinking of flashing the Jellybean update via Odin. Has anyone done this?

P.S.- My tab isn't rooted and I don't intend to do so either. Just explicitly install the jellybean update. Is this safe?
Old 17th June 2013, 17:52   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest a entry level android based tablet for around 5k which will be basically used/ hadled / mishandled by my nephew of 5years to learn/ play educational games etc.

The basic feature is that it should have WiFi connectivity to download apps for the Play store and should be minimum 7 incher.
Old 18th June 2013, 10:10   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Please suggest a entry level android based tablet for around 5k which will be basically used/ hadled / mishandled by my nephew of 5years to learn/ play educational games etc.

The basic feature is that it should have WiFi connectivity to download apps for the Play store and should be minimum 7 incher.
I suggest head over to OLX or some other site and look for a pre-owned tablet. You will get a tablet worth 15-20K in the 5-8K budget and it will be much more usable than the cheap 5K tablets which hardly last a couple of hours.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:31   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I suggest head over to OLX or some other site and look for a pre-owned tablet. You will get a tablet worth 15-20K in the 5-8K budget and it will be much more usable than the cheap 5K tablets which hardly last a couple of hours.
The requirement is for a new one and not looking at pre-owned ones. Since performance is not an issue and so is the battery life (of course should have some acceptable levels), since it will be primarily for a small kid for his learning and gaming purposes and at around 5k
Old 18th June 2013, 13:33   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
The requirement is for a new one and not looking at pre-owned ones. Since performance is not an issue and so is the battery life (of course should have some acceptable levels), since it will be primarily for a small kid for his learning and gaming purposes and at around 5k
Yes. I understand. I had a similar requirement for my kid - picked up a pre-owned Blackberry Playbook and I am happy.

The battery life is important even if this is for a kid, since kids will be using it for multimedia and with the screen on continuously, the 5K worth tablet will drain out in around 2-3 hours. So, you need to charge it every day. Just keep that in mind.
Also check the speaker output levels. Some tablets are good, others are not loud enough.
Old 23rd June 2013, 17:31   #1253
BHPian

looking for a tab around 25k-27k max.

will be taking notes,editing and viewing documents.
secondary use will be movies and skype.
will hardly use for gaming.

hows the ipad mini and samsung note 8.0 fare in these aspects?
Old 23rd June 2013, 17:59   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looking forward to touch and feel the kindle fire HD in rliance stores soon. They updated their twitter a/c that the same will be available in stores soon. While one can order the same from amazon india store right away though.
The only drawback is that at this time, in India, the tab only supports downloading of books. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:50   #1255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Looking forward to touch and feel the kindle fire HD in rliance stores soon. They updated their twitter a/c that the same will be available in stores soon. While one can order the same from amazon india store right away though.
The only drawback is that at this time, in India, the tab only supports downloading of books. Correct me if I am wrong.
Only issue is at this day and age, lets see how they price a generation old tablet. With products like Nexus-7 and iPad Mini available, they need to price it well.
Old 23rd June 2013, 19:02   #1256
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Only issue is at this day and age, lets see how they price a generation old tablet. With products like Nexus-7 and iPad Mini available, they need to price it well.
Even the Nexus7 and iPad Mini are due for a replacement.
The Nexus7 replacement could be announced anytime now. And the iPad Mini (though with already 2 yr old specs) is due for a refresh in the next 3 months.
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:21   #1257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Even the Nexus7 and iPad Mini are due for a replacement.
The Nexus7 replacement could be announced anytime now. And the iPad Mini (though with already 2 yr old specs) is due for a refresh in the next 3 months.
Thats true. The next version on Nexus is due. But it would still take some time for the new ones to be announced and then arrive at Indian shores. Hence I referred to Nexus and Mini as the current running ones.

I have been using a Nexus-7 (32GB Wifi) for some time now. And really happy with a year old specced device. Very fast, slick. Of course display just about serves purpose. Never the less, its great travel companion. I hope Kindle at most matches with these 7-9 inch devices.
Old 24th June 2013, 01:27   #1258
BHPian

@ampere @agambhandari: The reason why I am getting inclined to kindle is:
1. Great price. Heard its in the range of 21k
2. Screen size: 8.9" is just the right screen size as I feel that 7" is small & 10" is huge.
3. Brand Value: I played with a Karbon 8.9" tablet (wifi) priced at arounf 9k at reliance stores & the pic and video output was sad. Hoping kindle addresses this issue.
Old 24th June 2013, 01:45   #1259
BANNED

Quote:
2. Screen size: 8.9" is just the right screen size as I feel that 7" is small & 10" is huge.
3. Brand Value: I played with a Karbon 8.9" tablet (wifi) priced at arounf 9k at reliance stores & the pic and video output was sad. Hoping kindle addresses this issue.
Karbonn had an 8 inch tablet (8.9 is unknown to me).

Alternatively, look at the iPad Mini.
If you can increase your budget a bit, the Galaxy Note 510 at about 28K is an awesome tablet (using it to type this post! !)
Old 24th June 2013, 07:42   #1260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Alternatively, look at the iPad Mini.
+1 For the same price, Ipad Mini is a much better deal. You can get the 16GB Wifi version. I got one for my folks at home. Works very nicely. And if one is a fan of Apple eco-system even better. And if you need more space, the 32GB Nexus-7 comes at even lesser price (19K). (Though its a 7 inch instead of 8.9)

Today in the battle of 7/8 inch tablets, these two models seem to be the best of the lot at very decent price points. In fact the 16GB version of Nexus starts at 16K. Nexus devices are fast, but however when it comes to display, its the iPad mini.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks