Tata Bolt 12 1.36%
Toyota Liva 6 0.68%
Maruti Swift 27 3.07%
Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 22:52   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Punto Evo 90HP vs Baleno DDiS vs Figo TDCi Titanium vs something else?

I'm pretty much in the same dilemma as you. I've evaluated the models in this segment but quite frankly nothing worked for me apart from the Fiat. The Figo is nice but controls are on the wrong side and the diesel motor is sluggish as compared to the multi jet.

The Baleno is good but safety in a crash is doubtful.

The Bolt worked for me but the Tata pricing and attitude turned me off.

The Fiat is great if they manage to discount the price to fit your budget, but as others have pointed out, the Fiat ass is a problem, plus resale is on the lower side.

So still sticking with my Swift vdi for now and looking for a used hot hatch/ sedan. Great deals in the 3-5 year old cars these days, only got to find something which has not been abused/tampered with.

All the best in your search.
Old 8th June 2016, 22:54   #137
BHPian

Wow! So many replies!!! Thanks for the responses guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
I was faced with a similar predicament a year back. All said and done, we went with Punto Evo Emotion 75 HP because it was a bargain at 8 Lakhs for Emotion. And it was a diesel. No other car in its segment was being offered at such a price for a top trim. Not even close. I have no regrets so far. Can't beat the driving satisfaction that this car gives.

However, if I were you, I would consider the A.S.S in your area and spread of it across Kerala. It will be a calculated measure if you go with this car.

The next best option would be Figo for me.
I spoke to a friend who has a Punto Evo Emotion, and he said that interior quality is horrible, with parts like door handles, ac vent controls, glove box locks and control knobs breaking off in his hand in only 6 months use. My sister's Punto is a 2012 model, and nothing has broken off in it in 4 years. So, is the quality of the Evo worse now than the older model?

Service is also comparatively expensive, and the lack of service centers is also an issue. Are independent garages capable of servicing this car, should the need arise? The multijet is used in a variety of cars and local mechs are capable of servicing it, now that it has been around for almost 10 years. What is your average service cost?

Punto being the oldest product is what has been nagging me. But there really is nothing else in the price range with that kind of equipment. I am being offered the 90HP model for 8.3 lacs OTR + reverse cam. That's the same as the Baleno Delta DDiS, and the 90HP comes everything it has, plus the 90hp motor, 16 inch wheels + 195/55R16 tyres, which alone should be worth more than 50K more for a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
Here's my opinion. You need a diesel and keep it for five years. Your driving is not necessarily spirited. The three cars you are looking at are all good in their own ways. If you want peace of mind go for the Maruti, you can't go wrong with a Maruti with their huge service network. However the Figo diesel has an edge when you look at the performance. It is one of the best diesel hatches around, please check the Tbhp review. Ofcourse test drive it when you can before taking a call. Fiat, your sister and father are rightly smitten by them. These are beautiful cars, ride quality is outstanding, but service is a bit of a gamble.

Finally as a car enthusiast I would recommend following your heart. It's worth it.

Are you open to pre-worshipped options? Your search domain could expand.
I can't look at pre owned options, because I have to avail finance. Finance for used cars is expensive, and not worth it, IMO.

I feel that my driving has been less than spirited, and my trips no longer than 300kms per day, because I'm limited by my car. I'd like to make longer trips, and I need a reliable, capable and comfortable diesel ride for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
+1 to what Crazy Driver has posted. Not only the sales are dipping and the product being old, availability of service centers are a big question mark. Trivandrum has lost Mohandas Motors. So it is at best to avoid troubles by buying anything other than a Fiat.
Hmm. Pinnacle Fiat has said that they're opening up their own service centre at Trivandrum in three months, but that is just a promise, nothing more. Last I heard, Mohandas Motors was still offering service, even though they shut down the dealership. Is it confirmed that they are not offering service any more? If so, then this isn't really a contest. I can't possibly drive 225 kms to Ernakulam every time I need the car serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I would say Figo. New car, good to drive and with discounts/offers you should be able to get the Titanium+(which comes with 6 airbags) for 8.5 On Road in Trivandrum. Once you drive it I am sure your confusion will be resolved to a great extent.

On the downside, the Figo will not be as solid as the Punto and although may command better resale than a Punto, will still not be great as it is already struggling to sell.

The Punto looks like your 'heart' choice and the Baleno is the safe, 'buy with the mind' choice. The Figo would be a balance of both.
I didn't know that the Figo was struggling to sell. I'd heard of huge discounts, but all they were offering was free insurance, which does bring the Titanium model to around 8.1 lacs. The + would probably be around 8.5. Could I get a higher discount at another dealer? It's good to know that I can ask for more discounts. Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Frankly, may be you do need the wakeup call. Sales for FIAT are almost nearing double digits and they don't seem to be having any clue about the future as well. Being an existing owner, I would suggest to look elsewhere.

Not to mention it's getting pretty old as well. In 2016, you are not getting a significantly different car as to what I purchased in 2012. There are no major feature additions as well, except for the facelift.

Being a satisfied CS owner - why not wait for a few days and include the new Volkswagen Ameo 108hp TDi as well? That should give tough competition to the current diesel rocket- Figo TDCi. You wouldn't need to compromise on features as well as the VW comes loaded with features. It is priced alongside the Polo as well, as per the petrol prices.
I get the feeling that Fiat won't be shutting shop anytime soon, because they do have the engine business at least. Hopefully.

Yes, the car is quite old, but still quite a capable one. The age was my number one problem against considering the Punto, and the reason why I wasn't planning on it in the first place. Right now, it's the promise of all these features that's making me drool. And, the fact that the Baleno has a 8 month waiting period. Maybe I should take a step back, re-assess and look at other options too.

I didn't consider the Ameo because I don't like the stubby look of the car. I like the Polo though. Are there any discounts now? Last month, they had the Cross Polo for sale at the Ex-showroom price only. That's basically the Polo highline + some additional ground clearance and black plastic cladding, for about 9 lacs OTR.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2016 at 12:15. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 8th June 2016, 22:54   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
And to top it, your running 70k in 6 years do not justify a diesel.
And the Indigo CS was a diesel too!

Assuming similar running, and the uncertainity regarding diesels in the market- OP can look at petrol cars as a good alternative.

Only problem is- I think there is no fun option in petrols unlike the Figo TDCI and Polo GT option in diesels. The best option would be the Baleno petrol, but that also probably wouldn't match the fun quotient of the Figo diesel.
Old 8th June 2016, 23:10   #139
BHPian

I did test drive a few petrols, but I found that I genuinely enjoy the turbodiesels more. Perhaps, I'm driving the wrong petrols? I miss having that sudden rush of torque, and doing 100kph while the engine is turning over at a lazy <2500 rpm, when I'm using petrols. That said, about the only worthwhile petrol cars in the segment are the Baleno and the Jazz, and only the Baleno felt really sprightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Just forget about the Punto and Hemant if you are looking for keeping the car five years and want reasonable price. Can't predict the future of Fiat in India. Even the Figo resale if no great compared to Maruti and Hyundai.

Going by the current banning spree, five years is a long time for anything to happen with resale value. And to top it, your running 70k in 6 years do not justify a diesel. Why don't you factor in petrols too?
My running has been limited since I didn't enjoy driving the Indigo any more than I had to. I'd like to drive a lot more!!!

True about the banning spree. If this trend continues, there will be no resale for diesels in five years. So, the question becomes, will the Punto hold together and remain fun enough to drive for the next five years /150K kms that I plan to use it for? If I'm gonna have to scrap it in 5 years, I might as well enjoy the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
So still sticking with my Swift vdi for now and looking for a used hot hatch/ sedan. Great deals in the 3-5 year old cars these days, only got to find something which has not been abused/tampered with.

All the best in your search.
AT least you have a car that's still enjoyable to drive. I haven't had much luck in the used car market, it seems that anything that looks like a good deal is some kind of trap or con, and the certified cars are way too overpriced, and hard to get reasonable finance for.

Last edited by vivekgk : 8th June 2016 at 23:15.
Old 8th June 2016, 23:44   #140
Team-BHP Support

I think you should go for the Punto 90 HP, mostly because both you (I can understand) and your family (that's really cool) love the car. Don't worry too much about Fiat India's sales performance. Globally, Fiat Chrysler is doing quite well, and that should be seen as a positive sign.

Don't worry about resale value either. From my experience in the used car market, resale value solely depends on supply and demand.

If you buy a car which has clocked high sales, it does not necessarily guarantee higher resale value - simply because 5 years from now, there will be a much higher supply of those models in the used car market.

Similarly, if you buy a car that has not exactly set the sales charts on fire (Punto 90 BHP), there will be a much lower number of such cars in your city (lower supply) - this logic works especially well for cars that driving enthusiasts buy. This props up the resale value.

If you decide to buy Punto 90, this is what you need to do to get good resale value after 5 - 6 years:

1) Maintain the car in good condition.
2) Keep service records
3) Do NOT sell to a dealer. Sell via classifieds directly to the buyer.
4) Be patient. Do not expect to sell in 10 days.
5) Set reasonable price based on reasonable depreciation rate (say 15% a year). Stick to your price, you will eventually find a buyer if the car's condition is good.

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th June 2016 at 23:45.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 00:31   #141
Senior - BHPian

Punto Evo 90HP vs Baleno DDiS vs Figo TDCi Titanium vs something else?

I would recommend you take long Test drives and decide for yourself. The Baleno is a practical car with Maruti service and very good resale value. Avoid the Fiat.

That being said, we bought a Punto 1.2 in 2009. Replaced it with another Punto just a month back. The only failure in our older Punto was the slave clutch cylinder broken in her 7th year. Yes, the interior quality is bad, there are no storage spaces inside for knick-knacks, but the smile on your face after every ride is a sufficient enough reason to go for a Fiat.

Ps- we bough the car again even after knowing we'd have to make a 250+ km round trip just for a routine service. Fortunately, a Fiat authorised service has come up just 24kms from our home.

Last edited by blackwasp : 9th June 2016 at 00:33.
Old 9th June 2016, 00:45   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I spoke to a friend who has a Punto Evo Emotion, and he said that interior quality is horrible, with parts like door handles, ac vent controls, glove box locks and control knobs breaking off in his hand in only 6 months use. My sister's Punto is a 2012 model, and nothing has broken off in it in 4 years. So, is the quality of the Evo worse now than the older model?
Well, that's simply not the case for me. Barring the Elite and Polo, I think the rest of them are in the same ballpark as Punto. It's not horrible by any stretch of imagination. Mine has clocked 15k and no rattles so far. It has been through broken and buttery roads alike in equal share. The only gripe I have with it is the seating position. But, I got used to it now. The interiors-I say it's the same as the old one with a little more flair. The plastics remain, but they didn't fall off for me. It also doesn't appear as fragile as your friend describes it.

Mine is only 1 year old, so it's been through two services. No repairs or anything. So can't comment on the cost.
Old 10th June 2016, 19:01   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Baleno is good but safety in a crash is doubtful.

The Bolt worked for me but the Tata pricing and attitude turned me off.
Voted for Baleno ( Purely for Petrol baleno ).
I bought one last week.

Baleno has been Crash tested, Euro NCAP rating is 3 stars out of 5.
You should get heavy discounts for Bolt/Zest ,both are not selling well.

Tata attitude issue , with which dealer?
Speaking from personal experience - Concorde Worli is good.

Last edited by silverado : 10th June 2016 at 19:05.
Old 11th June 2016, 21:14   #144
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to pass on the Punto Evo, as there is no service center in my city. The nearest one, Daivik Fiat, is at Kollam, and I have no idea how good they are. I've grown used to having all service centers less than 30 mins away from my home, and it's not a comfort I'm willing to overlook, even for the Italian seductress.

I've also decided to pass on the Figo as it is just too small for the kind of money being asked. I guess Tata spoiled me on that front. The Aspire is a good option, but it is too expensive for the Titanium model, which is the only one that comes with ABS. I don't understand why ABS is not offered even as an option on all vehicles, much less one that has 100 PS and is priced at 8 lakhs+. I appreciate Maruti and Mahindra in this regard, for offering Dual airbags and ABS option on even the base models.

So, I thought it was back to the Baleno diesel, which I've still not driven. And the test drive vehicle wont be available at the showroom till next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
The new dealer in Trivandrum, Trivandrum Motors, is quite nice when it comes to attitude. They're small but enthusiastic and helpful. And you're right about the discounts. The Zest and Bolt both come with a 40k exchange bonus and 20k cash discount. For the Zest XMS that comes with ABS and dual airbags, that brings the price down from 8.42 lacs to 7.82 lacs. That's a really good deal, on a really good car. I'm sorely tempted. The Bolt XT comes with 50K exchange bonus and 20K cash discount.

I had the opportunity to test drive the Vitara Brezza, and it was a revelation. It is sparse on features on the LDI and VDI models, but the driving position and the overall big car feel are unmatched by any hatch. The LDi(O) that comes with ABS and dual airbags is 8.33 lacs, and comes with steel wheels, no wheelcaps, back seat without head rests and PW on front only. It's the same price as the Baleno Delta DDiS, which comes fully loaded to the brim. Personally, I like the Vitara more, and I also feel it will hold its value a lot better, but I need to drive the Baleno diesel again before I commit. Thoughts??
vivekgk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 01:45   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Voted for Baleno ( Purely for Petrol baleno ).
I bought one last week.

Baleno has been Crash tested, Euro NCAP rating is 3 stars out of 5.

Tata attitude issue , with which dealer?
Speaking from personal experience - Concorde Worli is good.
Can you please share the crash test results for my perusal?
Please note: I'm interested in the crash test results for the Baleno sold in India. I'm certain it's not a 3/5, but would love to be proven wrong.
Old 13th June 2016, 03:13   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Please note: I'm interested in the crash test results for the Baleno sold in India. I'm certain it's not a 3/5, but would love to be proven wrong.
Hi Lalvaz,

I could find the crash test results for Baleno. They haven't crash tested it for India though. Consider a star lowered for the version sold in India as Suzuki usually prefers to lower the down the weight for us mileage hungry folks in India.

Check out the link here
Old 13th June 2016, 15:11   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Baleno is only manufactured in India. The radar variant got 4 stars, whereas the one sold in India ( without radar braking and curtain airbags ) got 3 stars.
Old 13th June 2016, 20:51   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Baleno is only manufactured in India. The radar variant got 4 stars, whereas the one sold in India ( without radar braking and curtain airbags ) got 3 stars.
The one 'manufactured' in India scored 3 stars (the export model). We don't know anything about the one that's 'sold' here.
Aaron:) is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 21:54   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The one 'manufactured' in India scored 3 stars (the export model). We don't know anything about the one that's 'sold' here.

Yes , Agree. Just noticed that difference in weight is around 70 kgs with UK spec Baleno ( which has Dual jet engine and few more features ).

UK spec Baleno ( Full trim ) is 935 kgs.
Indian Baleno - 865 Kgs.
Old 13th June 2016, 23:51   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Hi Lalvaz,

I could find the crash test results for Baleno. They haven't crash tested it for India though. Consider a star lowered for the version sold in India as Suzuki usually prefers to lower the down the weight for us mileage hungry folks in India
Thanks Dinesh. Unfortunately, we cannot just reduce a star for the Indian model just like that.

MSIL and Other auto cos not only give the Indian consumer a raw deal with respect to fewer airbags/ no airbags, no ABS, no pre-tension seat belts, but they also use lesser grades of steel, weaker chassis, lower bumper re-inforcements, narrower tyres, smaller wheels, cheaper brake components, etc...

The list is long and every component impacts safety. We have seen 5 star models scoring 0 stars on their Indian variant. Of course all this while still being on the right side of the non existent automobile safety laws in India.

I'm trying hard to get copies of the crash test reports from MSIL, at least for their new launches, but nothing seems to budge. Let's see how long it takes before something gives.

As of now, the Baleno sold in India should be considered as a 0 star model.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks