Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2016, 19:15   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

I performed the annual (7th year) service for my Alto, at MSM Chennai as usual. The usual checks/cleanings/top ups. Engine oil and filter were changed, oil supplied by me (HX-7). I changed the air filter, which I do every year. Brakes were overhauled. Wheels alignment/ balancing/ rotation carried out. Bill was around Rs 4200.00 which included the cost of MGO engine oil (approx Rs 1000.00).

From this year onwards, their software has been modified in such a way the job card will not be opened for an annual service if engine oil is not billed. I had been carrying my oil all these years. They will install a new oil filter and use my oil without any fuss, making an appropriate entry in the job card. But we were stymied this year.

I solved the problem by telling the SA to bill the MGO but use my oil for the change. I collected the MGO in the same can, to be used for the compressor motor of our bore well.

This is going to be a problem from next year. I will have to switch to their MGO (5W / 30), whereas I prefer 10W 40 or 20W 40 as recommended in the owners' manual. Else opt for their Mobil synthetic oil, which I am reluctant to do due to the low running of my car - < 5k KM a year. They say this issue is there across all MASS set ups.

May be I should look for an independent garage.
Old 10th July 2016, 20:50   #587
BHPian

I got my Swift servicing done yesterday.
Odometer reading = 37000
Issues = none
Servicing bill = 11000
Old 10th July 2016, 21:00   #588
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
Odometer reading = 37000
Issues = none
Servicing bill = 11000
If you don't mind post the bill here as it is unbelievable to have 11K as a amount for 40K service.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 22:04   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Odometer reading = 37000
Issues = none
Servicing bill = 11000
That's quite surprising. I got my 2009 City serviced a few days back for 6k. I guess there's hardly any difference between Maruti and Hyundai/Honda/Toyota anymore.
Old 10th July 2016, 23:58   #590
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has increased their labour charges this month. The labour for opening the gearbox of a swift diesel is 8500 rs. Cost of spares etc additional. I'm not sure what's going on but quite frankly Maruti appears to be going the HP way. Cheap printers and expensive cartridges.

What a shame, Maruti, you really ought to be brought down to reality.
Old 11th July 2016, 08:13   #591
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Maruti has increased their labour charges this month. The labour for opening the gearbox of a swift diesel is 8500 rs.
Whoa! Are you serious?!

I can change the clutch + pressure plates twice for the labor amount.

Best is to go the FNG for all these stuff as they do it with better attention and in peace. I gave my Swift for a clutch change and was charged 1000 as labor. I went the FNG route when the car was in warranty.
Old 11th July 2016, 10:26   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If you don't mind post the bill here as it is unbelievable to have 11K as a amount for 40K service.
Hi,

Attached bill. Not sure if all the line items in the bill are mandatory. Help me understand. I will be prepared next time
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-1468212874513.jpg  

Old 11th July 2016, 10:51   #593
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

Attached bill. Not sure if all the line items in the bill are mandatory. Help me understand. I will be prepared next time
Thank you Sir for the bill.

What I have noticed is the following:

1) Fuel Injector or Injector Holder - ₹1450
2) Upholstery Cleaning - ₹600

Total: ₹2050 actually not required in the billing.

Engine oil you have been charged 960/ltr so it approximately = ₹3000. Actually now it is 550 per litre so for 3.1L it comes to ₹1600.

You can check my Swift ownership thread for pricing.
Old 11th July 2016, 11:27   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Engine oil you have been charged 960/ltr so it approximately = ₹3000. Actually now it is 550 per litre so for 3.1L it comes to ₹1600.

You can check my Swift ownership thread for pricing.
Dear Sir,

He has posted bill of a petrol swift; what you have mentioned as 550 per litre is for MGDO(Maruti genuine Diesel Oil)

The dealer has used Castrol Edge 5W40 synthetic oil in his car, and 960/ltr is okayish price for the Edge 5W40 IMO.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 11:47   #595
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
He has posted bill of a petrol swift; what you have mentioned as 550 per litre is for MGDO(Maruti genuine Diesel Oil)
Thanks for pointing it out.

Leaving aside the oil pricing, injector holder and upholstery cleaning were unnecessary IMO.
Old 11th July 2016, 11:59   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for pointing it out.

Leaving aside the oil pricing, injector holder and upholstery cleaning were unnecessary IMO.
True!! Injector cleaning is a thing which most MASS add in the bill without actually doing anything in the car. Charging additionally for caliper greasing is another big scam at most MASS. My MASS does it as a part of the paid service only.

The upholstery cleaning is an unnecessary expense, unless the owner specifically asks for. Also note that they have charged approximately 400 rupees for alignment. I always prefer to get this done outside MASS at an independent tyre shop-they do a better job at affordable prices.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 14:47   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! Are you serious?!

I can change the clutch + pressure plates twice for the labor amount.

Best is to go the FNG for all these stuff as they do it with better attention and in peace. I gave my Swift for a clutch change and was charged 1000 as labor. I went the FNG route when the car was in warranty.
Yes, Unfortunately, I am serious. I had visited the MASS yesterday to change the synchronizing rings for my Swift diesel. Cannot downshift to 1st and 2nd gears unless I'm below 10kmph and 15kmph respectively. Also need to replace the clutch since I'm at 93k kms, and its showing signs of wear. However, I got scared by the ridiculous labour charge. Mind you the labour charge was only for the gearbox opening. The clutch replacement labour charge was additional. Drove off right away. I really liked the MASS, but I'm going to an FNG from now onwards. The prices are highway robbery. No other words to describe this.
Old 11th July 2016, 15:38   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

Question to experts - Is the power window console covered under extended warranty or it is not? How do I check that with Maruti?
After a couple of mails to Maruti, the MASS followed up with me regularly and changed the PW switch under extended warranty. They also apologized for the confusion and the new works manager was very professional in handling my case.
Old 11th July 2016, 21:58   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

The upholstery cleaning is an unnecessary expense, unless the owner specifically asks for.
What is upholstery cleaning? Since the servicing, the inside of my car is not smelling good. I thought it would go away. It's been 2 days and it still smells like sweaty socks. Is it due to the upholstery cleaning? Does the smell linger long?
Old 14th July 2016, 14:41   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is upholstery cleaning? Since the servicing, the inside of my car is not smelling good. I thought it would go away. It's been 2 days and it still smells like sweaty socks. Is it due to the upholstery cleaning? Does the smell linger long?
Looks like they have left some carpet or liner wet inside. In upholstery cleaning, they generally use soapy water/ professional grade upholstery cleaners to clean the marks on roof liners, trims etc. Professional grade cleaners don't leave such a smell.

Have seen many MASS using solution to do the same. If its not dried properly, this can cause a foul smell inside the car, thanks to the additional humidity due to monsoons these days.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th July 2016 at 14:44.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks