Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 18:47   #601
BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
From this year onwards, their software has been modified in such a way the job card will not be opened for an annual service if engine oil is not billed. I had been carrying my oil all these years. They will install a new oil filter and use my oil without any fuss, making an appropriate entry in the job card. But we were stymied this year.
This is going to be a problem from next year. I will have to switch to their MGO (5W / 30), whereas I prefer 10W 40 or 20W 40 as recommended in the owners' manual. Else opt for their Mobil synthetic oil, which I am reluctant to do due to the low running of my car - < 5k KM a year. They say this issue is there across all MASS set ups.

May be I should look for an independent garage.
Sir, if your manual states 10W40 or 20W40, filling 5W30 implies using a thinner oil and possibly damage your car. Please write Maruti with reference to this and ask for an explanation, quoting your MASS info.

In my view, it is a MASS problem. Now Maruti has 3 grades (xxW40, 5W30 and new vehicles have 0W20). They are probably take old car owners for a ride (and do away with inventory problem).

PS:
OT: Using thinner oils also does away with old cars and gives better returns too!

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 14th July 2016 at 18:48.
Old 14th July 2016, 19:06   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Please write Maruti with reference to this and ask for an explanation, quoting your MASS info.
I did, last year. And received a reply from them the recommended oil for my model is 20W40. Showed the email to the works manager of MSM. In return he showed me a directive from Maruti which stated henceforth all cars will be filled with semi synth MGO 5w 30 or Fully synth Mobil 0W 40!

Last edited by Gansan : 14th July 2016 at 19:07.
Old 14th July 2016, 20:01   #603
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Showed the email to the works manager of MSM. In return he showed me a directive from Maruti which stated henceforth all cars will be filled with semi synth MGO 5w 30 or Fully synth Mobil 0W 40!
Best is to go the FNG route rather than arguing with these SA's at MASS.

I don't think the directive was for older vehicles that used 10W30 and the other recommended grades.

Even I am not allowed to get my oil when I take my Swift for servicing so what I do is get my oil and avail their "Service at home" facility so no problems of which grade is being poured in.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 16:53   #604
BHPian

Re: Maruti's new Service Packages - MCP (Maintenance Cost Protect) for its entire range of cars

@ravenavi

Thanks mate for your post. Without any prejudice, Let me tell you that these maruti guys are real crooks. For the AC filter that you have mentioned in you post, am sorry to tell you that Maruti swift does not come with a AC Filter. Cleaning the AC filter does not require any dashboard opening. one can simply pull out the glove box and dust the filter. I own a Ritz diesel and the setup is 100% same as that of swift. Service centre folks do not recommend any customer to put a cabin filter because all the dust and dirt gets accumulated on the cooling coil and suddenly one day the cooling will go down and the cooling coil would rust and hence the coolant leak from the rusted area. This is one of the easiest way that Maruti can earn money from its unsuspecting customers. The cost of cooling coil is around 3500-4500 INR. Add to this the cost of labour which would be around 4000 INR. Add to that the cost of Gas refilling and other miscellaneous charges. So the total amount would come to around 10000 INR. Beware

I am a victim of this money spinning gimmick of Maruti. I got my AC serviced from a local mechanic and he offered to put in a cabin filter. After 4 months of usage, i asked him to clean it and he showed me the condition of that filter. Trust me, it was so bad.

Last edited by su1978 : 29th July 2016 at 16:55. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 29th July 2016, 20:04   #605
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti's new Service Packages - MCP (Maintenance Cost Protect) for its entire range of cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
@ravenavi

Thanks mate for your post. Without any prejudice, Let me tell you that these maruti guys are real crooks. For the AC filter that you have mentioned in you post, am sorry to tell you that Maruti swift does not come with a AC Filter. Cleaning the AC filter does not require any dashboard opening. one can simply pull out the glove box and dust the filter. I own a Ritz diesel and the setup is 100% same as that of swift. Service centre folks do not recommend any customer to put a cabin filter because all the dust and dirt gets accumulated on the cooling coil and suddenly one day the cooling will go down and the cooling coil would rust and hence the coolant leak from the rusted area. This is one of the easiest way that Maruti can earn money from its unsuspecting customers. The cost of cooling coil is around 3500-4500 INR. Add to this the cost of labour which would be around 4000 INR. Add to that the cost of Gas refilling and other miscellaneous charges. So the total amount would come to around 10000 INR. Beware

I am a victim of this money spinning gimmick of Maruti. I got my AC serviced from a local mechanic and he offered to put in a cabin filter. After 4 months of usage, i asked him to clean it and he showed me the condition of that filter. Trust me, it was so bad.
I think he mentioned any condenser cleaning and not the filter ? In the bill I think he bought a new filter. Anyway personally I guess I was pretty lucky that SAs both in Kolkata and Bangalore have offered to fit a cabin filter on their own.

@RavenAvi: Also isn't the cost of synthetic oil a little too less ?

Last edited by Altocumulus : 29th July 2016 at 20:14.
Old 29th July 2016, 20:10   #606
BANNED

Quote:
Maruti swift does not come with a AC Filter.
It does come Sir but as seen in ownership reports, some earlier models didn't get but some got it from factory.

My older car i.e. Ritz VDi (2010 model) which had the filter since purchase. Currently I drive a Swift ZDi (2013 model) and it came with cabin AC filter from factory and I make it a point to replace it every 10K kms (3 months) and religiously clean it every 5K kms.

Quote:
Cleaning the AC filter does not require any dashboard opening. One can simply pull out the glove box and dust the filter.

Quote:
Service centre folks do not recommend any customer to put a cabin filter because all the dust and dirt gets accumulated on the cooling coil and suddenly one day the cooling will go down and the cooling coil would rust and hence the coolant leak from the rusted area.
That is funny actually and can I know which ASC is this not recommending A/C filter? The manufacturer wouldn't have given the slot for an A/C filter in the first if it was NOT recommended.

I make all my friends and family aware of this filter so the cabin is clean and the air they breathe is cleaner.

Ritz was sold at 1.08 lakh (2.9 years) kms and my Swift is now at 86K kms (2.7 years old) and never have I faced any A/C related troubles be cooling efficiency or rust in cooling coil.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 20:25   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I think he mentioned any condenser cleaning and not the filter ? In the bill I think he bought a new filter.

No mate. The price quoted is for not for condenser cleaning. When i reported the issue of Air-conditioner not functioning up to the mark, the amount quoted is exactly the same amount quoted to me from 3 different Authorised service centres. For cleaning the condenser, they will charge much higher amount. Also, please note that as per me, there is no need for any cleaning of condenser in the entire lifetime of car. Simple cleaning with prescribed water pressure is enough to flush out any dirt.

Trust me mate, even the amount quoted to ravenavi for simple service under maruti care program is way higher than what normal service costs in one year. They have realised that educated customers have started understanding that the service costs have gone through the roof for their cars and competition is trying to en-cash the opportunity. Ford/chevrolet etc have launched this campaign already. The day they have an equivalent number of sales outlets and they become aggressive with their marketing campaigns, days of Maruti are numbered.
Old 29th July 2016, 20:39   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate for your post.
You are most welcome.

Quote:
Without any prejudice, Let me tell you that these maruti guys are real crooks.
OFF-TOPIC:

Not all of them, I am sure. One bad apple doesn't spoil the entire barrel.

Quote:
For the AC filter that you have mentioned in you post, am sorry to tell you that Maruti swift does not come with a AC Filter.
Correction - I wanted the AC Condenser cleaned. AC Filter cleaning is a given for all my visits to the service center.

This time, it was the 2 years/20,000 kms major service (4th Paid one), for which the AC Condenser cleaning is an integral part.

That's the flatter, thinner sister of the radiator unit which is fixed in front of the radiator, just behind the front bumper.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-20150818_105944.jpg

As for the AC Filter, I was told during the delivery procedure that the Swift doesn't come with an AC/Cabin Filter, which was later clarified by my good friend and fellow BHPian a4anurag in my ownership thread (link). I then asked the dealership guys to get one for our Swift, and one was procured from MGA and installed for a cost of 350 rupees (link).

Quote:
Cleaning the AC filter does not require any dashboard opening. one can simply pull out the glove box and dust the filter. I own a Ritz diesel and the setup is 100% same as that of swift.
I agree, because we owned a Ritz VDi too. (link (2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**))

Quote:
Service centre folks do not recommend any customer to put a cabin filter because all the dust and dirt gets accumulated on the cooling coil and suddenly one day the cooling will go down and the cooling coil would rust and hence the coolant leak from the rusted area. This is one of the easiest way that Maruti can earn money from its unsuspecting customers.
On the contrary, my good friend who was also the dealership manager then, absolutely insisted on it being installed in our car, and placed an order for the item personally.

Thanks for the heads up, though. Will keep a close look on the cooling coil from now on.

Quote:
The cost of cooling coil is around 3500-4500 INR. Add to this the cost of labour which would be around 4000 INR. Add to that the cost of Gas refilling and other miscellaneous charges. So the total amount would come to around 10000 INR. Beware
Hasn't caused any problems in the ~2 years we have owned our Swift, touchwood.

Quote:
In my case, I share a very good rapport with the Maruti dealership in my city. Having a school friend as the dealership manager and several local friends and relatives as the working staff has helped immensely. We have been treated royally and our Swift has seen wonderful servicings with full attention to details and backup support from the dealership so far.

In fact, during the 3rd Free service session last year, the workshop guys managed to bash our Swift into one of the left side pillars on a wall, causing damage to the headlights, front bumper and the passenger side front metal panel. All of these were replaced free of cost by the dealership, without us even lifting a finger or raising even a murmur, with the dealership admitting that it was their mistake and they would rectify it from their own side. (link)

Please go through my ownership thread (links posted above) whenever you have some free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Also isn't the cost of synthetic oil a little too less ?
I cross-checked with the Castrol 5W30 Magnatec pricing on the web - it actually costs even lesser! (link)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th July 2016 at 20:55.
Old 29th July 2016, 20:40   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It does come Sir but as seen in ownership reports, some earlier models didn't get but some got it from factory.

My older car i.e. Ritz VDi (2010 model) which had the filter since purchase. Currently I drive a Swift ZDi (2013 model) and it came with cabin AC filter from factory and I make it a point to replace it every 10K kms (3 months) and religiously clean it every 5K kms.

That is funny actually and can I know which ASC is this not recommending A/C filter? The manufacturer wouldn't have given the slot for an A/C filter in the first if it was NOT recommended.

I make all my friends and family aware of this filter so the cabin is clean and the air they breathe is cleaner.

Ritz was sold at 1.08 lakh (2.9 years) kms and my Swift is now at 86K kms (2.7 years old) and never have I faced any A/C related troubles be cooling efficiency or rust in cooling coil.
Rana motors in Delhi, Maruti Service masters in Delhi to name a few. They never recommended it to me when i went for 20000 & 30000 kilometres service. Also i beg to differ from you on the "slot" front. I asked them to clean the filter. They refused it, saying that Ritz and swift do not come with filters now. Older models used to have it. If the unit is same in Swift & Ritz, then how is it possible that there is no slot for any filter in my ritz and it is present in your swift. Also, please note that the current cabin filter is fitted in the same slot by the local mechanic. Also, good to hear that you are passing and educating about filter to your family members/friends. I have also started doing it after the shock i received. This is something that only educated few can do. Normal public is nowhere aware about any such filter and they fall prey to the misgivings of service centres.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 10:45   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rana motors in Delhi, Maruti Service masters in Delhi to name a few. They never recommended it to me when i went for 20000 & 30000 kilometres service. Also i beg to differ from you on the "slot" front. I asked them to clean the filter. They refused it, saying that Ritz and swift do not come with filters now. Older models used to have it. If the unit is same in Swift & Ritz, then how is it possible that there is no slot for any filter in my ritz and it is present in your swift. Also, please note that the current cabin filter is fitted in the same slot by the local mechanic. Also, good to hear that you are passing and educating about filter to your family members/friends. I have also started doing it after the shock i received. This is something that only educated few can do. Normal public is nowhere aware about any such filter and they fall prey to the misgivings of service centres.
When you say older models used to have it do you know from which year they stopped this. I am asking as I have to send in my 2011 Ritz for servicing this week.
Old 31st July 2016, 13:32   #611
BHPian

Again for my Ritz I paid almost 10k for a 40,000km service. There was a ball joint replacement too but I paid the same for my Tata safari with similar repairs. I must say that labour is very high in all MASS (it was 4k in my bill) rest assured am on the lookout for a FNG for my next service as I don't think I want to pay a remotely similar price every 10k km.
Old 31st July 2016, 14:48   #612
BHPian

Just to put the 'Ac Filter' doubts to rest; everybody here is right AND wrong in their assumptions. Some clarifications:

1) Earlier models of Swift/Desire/Ritz/Wagor-R all came mandatorily fitted with the Ac Cabin Filter. That has changed of late(somewhere around 2012 or so).

2) In today's date the Swift and Wagon-R come without the part. The swift still has the slot in place though, while the Wagon's slot is cancelled. Don't know of the Desire and the other's status.

3) These changes happen suddenly with reasons best known to Maruti alone. It never happens in other automakers. Never. If there is a slot for the filter, the filter also is there. This is only exclusive to Maruti.

4) While the exclusion of the part has aided in enhancing airflow in the Wagon-R and hence improving cooling and efficiency, it seems to be the cause why Maruti did away with it, though this is unconfirmed. Strangely there was no such issue in the Swift and the exclusion in Swift's case is baffling. Maruti is not known to stoop to such cheap cost cutting but upfront, that's what it looks like.

5) There are reports elsewhere in other forums that Maruti is now selling the filter as an optional accessory even in a brand new car when asked for it. Now Maruti wants your health to be a paid option. Some also say that this scam is done at the dealer level.

6) Basically this points out in a big way to Maruti's standards, consistency and way of working. Final judgement is upto each one's own perception.

Technically I think these guys should have changed the internal AHU (air-handling-unit) of the Wagon to one with a slightly more powerful blower unit or changed it entirely for better effect. Heck, the Alto has a much more meaningful Ac. But they took a cheap shortcut instead. Not good. The Swift's treatment was even more absurd. No manufacfurer does these cheap antics. Yes, at dealer level the only thing done is the filter is removed at sevicing and then later when coil gets choked up as a result, they charge anywhere from 4k(small car) to 8-9k for total servicing and overhaul of the Ac. Smooth operators

Last edited by pixantz : 31st July 2016 at 14:51.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:38   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I cross-checked with the Castrol 5W30 Magnatec pricing on the web - it actually costs even lesser! (link)
Magnetec is Semi Synthetic, not synthetic. Even the link you sent it says Part-Synthetic.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:49   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Just to put the 'Ac Filter' doubts to rest; everybody here is right AND wrong in their assumptions. Some clarifications:

1) Earlier models of Swift/Desire/Ritz/Wagor-R all came mandatorily fitted with the Ac Cabin Filter. That has changed of late(somewhere around 2012 or so).

2) In today's date the Swift and Wagon-R come without the part. The swift still has the slot in place though, while the Wagon's slot is cancelled. Don't know of the Desire and the other's status.

3) These changes happen suddenly with reasons best known to Maruti alone. It never happens in other automakers. Never. If there is a slot for the filter, the filter also is there. This is only exclusive to Maruti.

4) While the exclusion of the part has aided in enhancing airflow in the Wagon-R and hence improving cooling and efficiency, it seems to be the cause why Maruti did away with it, though this is unconfirmed. Strangely there was no such issue in the Swift and the exclusion in Swift's case is baffling. Maruti is not known to stoop to such cheap cost cutting but upfront, that's what it looks like.

5) There are reports elsewhere in other forums that Maruti is now selling the filter as an optional accessory even in a brand new car when asked for it. Now Maruti wants your health to be a paid option. Some also say that this scam is done at the dealer level.

Technically I think these guys should have changed the internal AHU (air-handling-unit) of the Wagon to one with a slightly more powerful blower unit or changed it entirely for better effect. Heck, the Alto has a much more meaningful Ac. But they took a cheap shortcut instead. Not good. The Swift's treatment was even more absurd. No manufacfurer does these cheap antics. Yes, at dealer level the only thing done is the filter is removed at sevicing and then later when coil gets choked up as a result, they charge anywhere from 4k(small car) to 8-9k for total servicing and overhaul of the Ac. Smooth operators
My 2011 model Ritz VDI does not have any air filter. This is a part of overall cost cutting model that maruti is resorting to. Maruti has applied a two pronged methodology to maximise its earning. One one end, they have resorted to cost cutting and on the other hand, they have increased the prices of their cars and increased the Labour charges as well. If to rectify one fault or to replace one part, they will charge you for the cost of part plus the labour charges plus the servicing cost of same component. For example, if they replace the brake pads, they will charge you for pads, labour charges for brake pads replacement and then tell you that brake bleeding has to be done to let the new brake work efficiently. Also let me tell you that my honda mobilio I-dtec does not have one. The service advisor asked me if i wanted to fit one when i went for my 20000 kms servicing. I told him that it is a simple DIY. I think that a more powerful blower would not serve the purpose. Have you not heard the statement of Mr R.C.Bhargava about the fact that if they introduce ABS/Airbags as a mandatory addition, then accidents will increase on the roads. This is enough to show irresponsible behaviour of Maruti towards its Indian customers. Cabin filter does not allow dust and dirt to get accumulated on the cooling coil. This filter increases the service interval of your Air-conditioner and also keeps away foul smell to some extent.
Old 6th August 2016, 10:24   #615
Senior - BHPian

During my regular service visit I was told the replacement cost for timing chain is parts - about Rs. 20000 and labour about 6-7K. This seems way too high. I get my service done at Kalyani Motors at Bangalore. Anyone in Bangalore has had an experience on changing timing belt and what was the related costs of doing it.

thanks,
DF

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks