Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2022, 22:33   #5311
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
It is not necessary to continue with the same insurance company if you are not comfortable or you find a better option. The three year insurance which you purchased at the time of buying new car is called third party insurance which will remain active for the duration of three years from purchase. The other portion of insurance valid only for one year is called own damage (OD) insurance which you need to renew every year. This is what you will be renewing now. You can go for any company of your choice for the OD insurance. Take the one which has tie up with the workshops in your area and it can be different than Universal Sompo. While renewing you can mention the NCB you are eligible for and the new company would provide the same NCB so you will not lose any NCB even if you change the insurance company.

Just remember to carry both third party and OD insurance papers in the car with you all the time.

Please remember that third party insurance will need to be renewed once your car turns 3 years old and again you'll have a choice to opt for the insurance company you like.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, cleared all my doubts. Actually they should have same insurance company tie ups throughout the country but cant help it. I will change OD during renewal.
Neurodoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:46   #5312
BHPian

Good afternoon folks. What is compulsory PA insurance? Has it been introduced recently as I can’t seem to recall this during last time I renewed my car insurance.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:20   #5313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Good afternoon folks. What is compulsory PA insurance? Has it been introduced recently as I can’t seem to recall this during last time I renewed my car insurance.
Looks like its been ages since you last renewed the car insurance. The compulsory PA has been there for the past 3-4 yrs now (or even longer). However if you already have a PA insurance separately (from your office for eg) the you don't need to buy again during car insurance renewal
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:40   #5314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Looks like its been ages since you last renewed the car insurance. The compulsory PA has been there for the past 3-4 yrs now (or even longer).
Whilst I have certainly noticed it on the cover details, I didn't know until just now that it is compulsory.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 18:45   #5315
BANNED

I have an Ecosport which is about 6 years old and I paid 7300 as premium last year with an IDV of 4,95,000. But this year I had a claim and now when I want to renew it TataAIG is quoting 12,500 for comprehensive. When I asked how it can increase so much they are claiming some silly reason. When I checked with HDFC Ergo it gives me 9,800 for comprehensive, is this a reasonable quote or should I check with few others?
Old 31st October 2022, 19:00   #5316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
When I checked with HDFC Ergo it gives me 9,800 for comprehensive, is this a reasonable quote or should I check with few others?
No harm at all in checking around.

Use Policy Bazaar or similar aggregation sites.
Old 31st October 2022, 19:41   #5317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an Ecosport which is about 6 years old and I paid 7300 as premium last year with an IDV of 4,95,000. But this year I had a claim and now when I want to renew it TataAIG is quoting 12,500 for comprehensive. When I asked how it can increase so much they are claiming some silly reason. When I checked with HDFC Ergo it gives me 9,800 for comprehensive, is this a reasonable quote or should I check with few others?
Did you have NCB last year which is zero this year due to claim? That can be one reason why premium is higher.

If you find lower insurance elsewhere, you can go for it.
Old 1st November 2022, 14:15   #5318
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Did you have NCB last year which is zero this year due to claim? That can be one reason why premium is higher.

If you find lower insurance elsewhere, you can go for it.
Yes, NCB is zero this year but the increase is mainly coming from the OD premium which is 2.5k higher than last year, which doesn't make sense as it is purely based on IDV value which is lower than last year.
Old 1st November 2022, 16:22   #5319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every claim makes the customer a high risk one for the Insurance co. Try the aggregator websites like Cover fox or Policy bazaar to get the comparison quotes,. Try the new age Insurance cos like Digit or Acko who offers lower premiums but at a cost of reduced features. If you can get a zero dep add on cover around your last year's premium with any Insurance co then you should go for it. But ensure that the Ford workshops do have a tie up with that Insurance co in your city/town.
Old 4th November 2022, 19:07   #5320
BHPian

A question for knowledgeable insurance experts here.

I bought a used car from Cars24 and they gave a new TP insurance from Kotak. Now I want to buy a Zero dep or full comprehensive policy for the car. Can I buy just own damage cover separately for my car from Kotak or any other general insurance? This will reduce the extra premium I would have to pay for TP, because that is already available from the policy received from Cars24.

Another question I have is, that the IDV is coming very less compared to what I paid for the car, but the Kotak rep was telling he can give zero dep along with return to invoice value add on and that should cover the concern for the IDV part. Is that right and valid suggestion?

Is Kotak car insurance good for Maruti cars? I always stuck with Tata for year and recently with Digit so no experience with them.

Will appreciate all and any response to my dilemmas.
Old 5th November 2022, 09:54   #5321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
I bought a used car from Cars24 and they gave a new TP insurance from Kotak. Now I want to buy a Zero dep or full comprehensive policy for the car. Can I buy just own damage cover separately for my car from Kotak or any other general insurance? This will reduce the extra premium I would have to pay for TP, because that is already available from the policy received from Cars24.
You can buy the OD policy separately from any other Insurance co. Just check with which Insurance co does the workshop where you would normally service your car has a cashless tie up.

Quote:
Another question I have is, that the IDV is coming very less compared to what I paid for the car, but the Kotak rep was telling he can give zero dep along with return to invoice value add on and that should cover the concern for the IDV part. Is that right and valid suggestion?
Depending on the age of the car and the Insurance co it is possible to get the zero dep add on cover along with the OD policy not just from Kotak but from any Insurance cos which provides the add on cover. To check the IDV use the normal thumb rule of 10% less than last year's IDV. If you are unsure of the IDV, check the IDV depreciation table (available for first 5 years of ownership) in the policy documents. If the ownership is more than 5 yrs then its a mutually agreed value with the Insurance co

Quote:
Is Kotak car insurance good for Maruti cars? I always stuck with Tata for year and recently with Digit so no experience with them.
The best people to answer this question will be the workshop guys and the BHPians who have taken the insurance from Kotak. The measure of Insurance cos would be the claim settlement process.

Just a suggestion, when you request for any Insurance help, would be always better to mention the car brand and the age of ownership.
Old 5th November 2022, 10:01   #5322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Just a suggestion, when you request for any Insurance help, would be always better to mention the car brand and the age of ownership.
Much thanks for your response. The car is Wagon R and it is 3 yrs 10 months old.

The other thing is I am not able to check the name, terms and values from the previous owner policy, because Cars24 didn't provided that or details of that.

Last edited by humans : 5th November 2022 at 10:03.
humans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 16:25   #5323
BHPian

Pathetic followup by Reliance Insurance for my car's insurance renewal.

Insurance was expiring on 22nd Nov. I am receiving calls and messages daily 3 to 4 times for the renewal since end Oct.

I did a mistake by taking Reliance Insurance. Now, I have renewed the insurance from another insurer yesterday and just finished up giving feedback to Reliance over email. I attached the messages that I am getting as a screenshot. I don't think that they will stop messaging or calling me, but I am decided, I will never take insurance from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-screenshot_2022_1105_162207.jpg  

Old 5th November 2022, 16:37   #5324
BHPian

Hi Team,
Needed advice regarding my xl6 which got washed off in the Pune rains recently. I had not paid attention to buying engine and gearbox cover for Edelweiss comprehensive insurance as I did not quite need it till date (10 plus years of my driving) and the regular insurance would usually suffice. I got my vehicle towed and its been close to a month now and Edelweiss is really slow. Till now they have just asked to get new floor mats and haven't touched the engine yet (possibly because I did not take engine and gearbox cover). The car was not started and towed as soon as the floods subsided. The people who saw the car told me that the electricals were switching on and off during the rains, so thats probably gone. Mine is a xl6 automatic that comes with a additional hybrid battery that costs 60k. That battery is placed under the co passenger seat and Maruti thinks it will need replacement.

My question is what can I do to expedite the process as its been a month and is there some way I can get lucky with the engine and gearbox (I really did not know until now that we have to take these addons separetly). Thanks in advance!
Old 6th November 2022, 16:11   #5325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
The other thing is I am not able to check the name, terms and values from the previous owner policy, because Cars24 didn't provided that or details of that.
For calculation purpose take the ex showroom price of the model and variant and apply 30% less (since you car is almost 4 yrs old) to arrive at the logical IDV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
My question is what can I do to expedite the process as its been a month and is there some way I can get lucky with the engine and gearbox (I really did not know until now that we have to take these addons separetly).
Generally these are the tricks used by Insurance co when they know they have to shell out a sizeable amount for the repairs when Insurance is claimed. To start, you can write to the Insurance co customer care and ombudsman and then take it with IRDAI if there is no activity in sight from the Insurer. Meanwhile try to wake them up through social media platforms and alternatively try to check the process of consumer court.

Reg the parts, since you hadnt taken the right add on covers you will have to shell out from your pocket your share of the repair. Maybe a lesson learnt hard.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks