Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: YOUR Car of the Year 2011?
Hyundai Eon 84 3.20%
Honda Brio 134 5.10%
Toyota Liva 35 1.33%
Maruti Swift 183 6.97%
Nissan Sunny 53 2.02%
Skoda Rapid 109 4.15%
Hyundai Verna 260 9.90%
Ford Fiesta 47 1.79%
Force One 18 0.69%
Mahindra XUV5OO 1487 56.63%
Renault Fluence 22 0.84%
Volkswagen Jetta 56 2.13%
Suzuki Kizashi 14 0.53%
Volkswagen Passat 23 0.88%
Renault Koleos 7 0.27%
Volvo S60 32 1.22%
Audi A6 62 2.36%
Voters: 2626. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 22:16   #211
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!

My vote too goes to XUV5OO and next contender was Volvo S60. I would have given vote to volvo if it would have priced near Fortuner even, but it's all like day dreaming so my vote to a dream machine which I can think of buying, not in dreams but in reality.

Although I am waiting for birth of it's sibling...mini xylo.
Old 8th December 2011, 22:55   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

You can view Mr Anand Mahindra's twitt on this thread complementing it. He has twitted eight hours ago:

"This kind of public support is the biggest pat on the back for our team. XUV way ahead in the poll so far” and has provided a link to this thread.To view his twitt:

https://twitter.com/#!/anandmahindra
It shows and amply illustrates that teambhp is on the radar of the Captains and Honchos of our automobile industry.

Cheers to teambhp for all it has achieved and its credibility as a top of the line automobile website/ encyclopedia.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th December 2011 at 23:03.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 23:04   #213
BHPian

With the XUV500 already headed for a landslide victory within the first week of polling alone, the other 16 contestants have been left in the dust.

With as many as 17 cars to chose from, is it possible that we can have, may be...

Option 1

Three winner ratings, such as ...

The Team-BHP COTY Gold
The Team-BHP COTY Silver
The Team-BHP COTY Bronze

Option 2

We could consider one main COTY award and "sub-winners" in different categories, such as hatch/sedan/utility/SUV, etc.

If either of these two options are considered, a few other admirable cars from the long list could also receive some praise and accolades.
Old 8th December 2011, 23:29   #214
BHPian

Since the COTY has been somewhat decided,XUV-500! Which car do you think will win the ''Flop of the year'' award if one holds a poll? My vote will surely go for the new fiesta!(owners please dont take offence purely personal views, not a ford basher, quite the opposite!)
Great things was expected from the fiesta but it failed to rise to the occasion!

Moderators please delete this post if found inappropriate!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 8th December 2011 at 23:40.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 23:53   #215
BHPian

The Force one and the XUV 500. Both SUVs from Indian manufacturers, both of them are a big leap for their manufacturers, yet one is leading the charts and the other is trailing. So close, yet so far. So similar, yet so different.
Old 8th December 2011, 23:56   #216
Senior - BHPian

The question is can the XUV still hold its 63% poll share?
Initially it was somewhere around 70%. And now it is diminishing everyday!
Old 9th December 2011, 00:14   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post

Since the COTY has been somewhat decided,XUV-500! Which car do you think will win the ''Flop of the year'' award if one holds a poll?
Couldn't agree more. Just when we all thought now Ford is getting things right they proved us all wrong. Now offering Rs.75000/- discount.
One more serious contender for FOTY can be Suzuki Kizashi (First Sports Sedan), due to the fact that it was launched by Maruti Suzuki who have so many sales chart toppers in their list.

Last edited by carwatcher : 9th December 2011 at 00:15.
Old 9th December 2011, 00:23   #218
Senior - BHPian

We have had COTY's polls earlier too, but then I dont think anyone won on an absolute majority! I mean, look at the runner-up, the swift, which is 1/10th of the votes the XUV has gained. If mahindra doesnt jack up the price too much in January, we could probably see it breaking all segment records too.

Well done Mahindra, keep it up.
Old 9th December 2011, 00:29   #219
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

CNBC-TV18 Overdrive has announced 2012 awards.
Some of the awards that have been announced are:

Car Of The Year: Maruti Suzuki Swift
Micro-mini Car of the Year: Hyundai Eon0
Mid-sized Car Of The Year: Hyundai Verna
Executive Car Of The Year: Volkswagen Jetta
SUV Of The Year: Mahindra XUV500
Manufacturer of the year Award: Toyota Kirloskar Motor

Please find below the link:
2012 CNBC-TV18 OVERDRIVE Awards winners revealed - Overdrive
mayank10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 00:57   #220
BHPian

Voted for the XUV 500.
I personally dislike SUVs for various reasons but this a vote for Car of The Year and when I look at it from an unbiased perspective the XUV totally deserves it.
Mahindra has done a great job.
I really cannot understand what all this fuss about the "bling" is. It is a well made, striking car with a decent engine, ride and handling at a great price point. Is the Verna not flashy with downright gaudy interiors?
Did the Figo even deserve to be in the running for COTY given it is just a rehashed old international Fiesta?
How reliable really is any offering by the German "big three" versus a Scorpio or Bolero?
I really think it is time to stop discriminating against an Indian brand just because it is Indian.
Be fair people!
hossdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 04:49   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Chev -

Mate, our perceptions about machines and what we want from them differ.
When it comes to putting your hard earned money down, i am sure even you won't consider a car for just hell of an engine.

there are other factors too that influence buying decision. engine is just one of them.

for your other statements, i could counter argue, but lets leave it at that since this thread is not appropriate for the same.

and trust me when i say, my wants are pretty much same are yours, just that i give equal importance to other factors too. its like 1. engine 2. everything else. You can find my vote for the same in the thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...eal-maker.html
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 10:06   #222
BHPian

Voted for XUV because it stands for some noteworthy achievements:
1. it proved beyond doubt that Indian designs can be competitive enough for well-established auto and design logos from the rest of the world
2. it proved that there is a possibility to price it well through smart manufacturing and gizmos and hole in the wallet are now quite asynchronous. (this is a real large step and all credit goes to M&M for this)
3. after nano, this is a large risk taken by an Indian manufacturer but into a niche segment and made it click and how. Laudable.
4. the product is so well crafted that it is very easy for one to draw up a complete product roadmap of next generations, upgrades, etc (e.g. 4x4 AT, life style vehicles, Freelander type variants, ....) and M&M has literally got a cashcow for the next decade and beyond. That is truly amazing. It is much more than fabulous product design.
5. With the cost base so small in the global scale, this product can bring marginal contribution like no other and with a base in Korea and India, they can literally pump volumes, across markets. Brilliant work M&M. Loved that.
BurningHeart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 10:46   #223
LDJ
BHPian

Voted for the XUV500! This deserves all of our praise and admiration and support! M&M have come good on so many factors!
1. Our very own Indian make
2. Pricing strategy making it more affordable for the middle class
Only downside being M&M has failed to correctly gauge the market of XUV500 and result is complete sold out! If they had gauged correctly they could have a lot more market share from buyers in a hurry who opt for other suv's just because of the waiting period of XUV!

Now that M&M has gone ahead and dealt the highly-priced-SUV category a mighty blow by bringing in their beast at a competent price, they should now concentrate on doing the same thing albeit at a different level, yes at the luxury-sedan category and apply the same pricing strategy there as well!

PS: Force One doesn't deserve a single vote? The top and bottom of the stack ruled by SUV's, truly a year of the SUV's this!
Old 9th December 2011, 11:21   #224
BHPian

Hi,

Here are my lines.

4. Hyundai Verna

Why?
- This is the real Verna. The old one was just called Verna.

Why not…
- Not the greatest of the drives / handling
- Rear window visibility average / poor
- Bit pricey?

3. Mahindra XUV 500

Why?
- One of its kind in the segment, big leap for Mahindra, priced suitably.

Why not…
- The cheetah looks bulky, overdone
- No luggage space, an area most 7-9 seater MPVs / SUVs have been overlooking for some time now
- Ingress / Egress may not suit all

2. MS Swift

Why?
- A good package just got better.

Why not…
- Big car from outside, not so from inside
- Claustrophobic rear seat, not practical
- Small boot, no rear seat split either, raised boot lip

1. Toyota Liva

Why not…
- Not an enthusiast's car in some aspects
- Interiors built to a cost
- NVH levels - Half-hearted attempt by "T"

Why then?
- Practical, Spacious and Functional
- Easy to drive, suspensions at work
- First B Segment "T" hatchback
- Even with the cost cutting, build looks durable

Cars listed in order of elimination.

T Liva pips MS Swift for 2 reasons:

1. I was expecting MS Swift in its new avatar (with around 500 crores of rupees spent for this platform's R&D) to offer a little more in terms of space, practicality and appeal
  2. This now leaves very little room for the new MS Dzire to provide good space, comfort and boot etc. and still be in the sub 4-meter segment.
Thanks,
C_
Old 9th December 2011, 11:55   #225
BHPian

The landslide win for the XUV shows how much Indians appreciate a good value offering. For long foreign OEMs have charged us fancy prices in the name of lower volumes and hence no economies of scale.

The small car segment has become highly competitive because of the competition, the C+ sedan segment saw good pricing coming back (City and Rapid, sorry new Fiesta) and now its the turn of the 10+ lakh segment to do the same. Skoda Yeti, are you listening?

Full marks to MnM for the project and the Team-BHP Car of the Year is surely one of the many awards this will garner. What the Scorpio did a decade back by giving a stylish SUV at a reasonable price has been achieved again with the XUV.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks