Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 09:10   #661
BANNED

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I felt good when i read Fiat had upped the Power in Linea MJD to 93hp, for the slowest car in the segment every horse counts. But the report in ACI claims the opposite, they claim despite more power the new Linea is even slower now. How good does 0-60 in 7.12 secs and 0-100 in 17.81 secs sound to you? In comparison to this new Verna & Vento sound like rockets at figures close to 10 and 11 secs for a ton.

What has always been a mystery to me is where does all the power in these Fiats if does not translate onto on road performance? I own a Punto MJD 75hp, if European Punto with similar weight can be as fast as Swift Diesel, what's wrong with the version we get here? The only mechanical component we can blame is the cheaper cut cost gearbox from Palio.

Since the launch, they have declared improved versions with better interiors every few months, so many updates later still the fit and finish is poor. Too little, too late.

Anshuman bhai, when StarTV was airing Kyuki Saas ...etc etc and Kahaani Ghar ....etc etc, each soaps had their own fan following, Though Kyuki ... became very famous, but it was Kahaani .... that took away all the honours.

Off-late i have stopped reading those Law of Science defying Auto magazine reports regarding test drives of cars.

I read a hilarious report of the 75hp Swift Vs 93hp Punto - It said, inspite of the power difference,the Swift is faster and better than the Punto. What a Joke, do these guys leave their brains at home when they do a TD. (Doesnt that Huge power difference , torque mean anything at all. Crazy )

I have TD'd the Vento with the Linea . I felt Linea has better quality and feel interiors, and the engine is a GEM when compared to the racket throwing Crude Diesel engine in the Vento. Vento's Gearbox is Terrible in comparision with the Linea (So much for being a Biggest VW Fan-boy and owning 4 historical VW's myself)

Even in the latest edition of ACI or any mags, they mention the word "Niggle Free" for +ves on the XUV, the results of harrowed customers are very well documented on our T-BHP threads.

These reports by people and Auto magazines are totally against the of science.

I feel T-BHP reviews are the Best to judge the car, Unbiased and to the point.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 20th January 2012 at 09:14.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 09:19   #662
BHPian

Quote:
What has always been a mystery to me is where does all the power in these Fiats if does not translate onto on road performance? I own a Punto MJD 75hp, if European Punto with similar weight can be as fast as Swift Diesel, what's wrong with the version we get here? The only mechanical component we can blame is the cheaper cut cost gearbox from Palio.
I am curious to know how an old gearbox can lead to slow timing. Is it something like slower shifts consume more time and hence slower 0-100 kmph acceleration ?

Ingear acceleration is pretty good for the Fiats though. Almost as good as other MJDs or even better.

If new gearbox could have solved the problem to good extend then Fiat actually lost a chance with 2012 version
Old 20th January 2012, 10:14   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Off-late i have stopped reading those Law of Science defying Auto magazine reports regarding test drives of cars.

These reports by people and Auto magazines are totally against the of science.
Not that i agree to the timings, but since they have claimed it is now slower, the chances of it being faster are lower. But still close to 18 secs for a 93hp Diesel car is a pathetic timing, not sure if it is the auto mag or Fiat.

Please someone who drives a Linea regularly TD the new version and put up comparison here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I am curious to know how an old gearbox can lead to slow timing. Is it something like slower shifts consume more time and hence slower 0-100 kmph acceleration ?

Ingear acceleration is pretty good for the Fiats though. Almost as good as other MJDs or even better.

If new gearbox could have solved the problem to good extend then Fiat actually lost a chance with 2012 version
I do not claim it is the gearbox, i was just wondering because gearbox is the only major difference between the Euro and Indian Version, of course Euro version comes with EPS and we get a hydraulic power steering, but then the HPS may not be consuming so much extra power.

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th January 2012 at 10:17.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 10:21   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Actually, I am not feeling any sluggishness in my Linea nowadays (I have completed 11.5K Kms.). The car indeed accelerates very well from 2nd gear onwards. Initially, I had the pain of 1nd and 2nd gear in Linea. Now, the car has very much changed and I feel it revvs very well.
Sometimes it also getting used to. I am quite unable to buy the fact that car is behaving better after such a mileage. Drive a petrol side by side then u may know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Actually I never felt much difference in terms of handling. The Linea might edge ahead a wee bit over the Vento if one could test it over multiple days. I took some reasonably sharp turns at 40/50 KMPH on the stretch I tested which included a u-turn. The Linea felt the same way as the Vento. Barring the fact that since I had to slow down taking the u-turn, with oncoming traffic, it needed some effort to match the speed of the oncoming traffic after the turn because of its lack of low end grunt in the Linea. The Vento does well IMO in such situations.
Then I think my assumption about Polo and Vento handling is incorrect. I have TDed Vento but in a dense bangalore traffic so could not make anything.
The fast U turn confidence is pretty high on Linea since I do not have to apply brake at all, versus I had to apply brakes in Polo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Team,

I have with me the 2011 and 2012 Punto leaflets. The ground clearance of new Punto has increased, but the height of the car remains same!
If the height is increased then it will be an entirely new face lifted model. 2012 is just a new version or in automotive data standard term- Model Year.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 20th January 2012 at 10:23.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:26   #665
BHPian

Linea sale!

Hi Guys,

Following Linea models are sale in madurai- all models are diesel and 1L offer on december prices (on road)

A.R.A.S.P.V

1.Linea Active - 6,97,879 (includes Insurance Ext warranty and Temp reg)

2. Linea Dynamic - 7,33,510 (includes Insurance Ext warranty and Temp reg)

Note- Reg charges, ie - 10% in Tamil Nadu extra, rates in other states may vary.

Shakti auto

1.1.Linea Active -

2. Linea Dynamic -

3.Linea Emotion -

4.Linea Emotio pack -

1L discount on MRP (Dec)

Please contact sales persons directly:

Rajan (A.R.A.S.P.V) - 9894043573

Vetri vel (Shakti) - 9750919804

Enjoy!

Makesh
Makesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:42   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I won't dispute that but then taking a hard turn at 120-130 or even 80 is almost like being on an F1 track. As I said earlier if pushed hard or experienced over a few days a Linea could be better than the Vento in terms of handling.
Samar, Thats precisely even I am questioning myself and almost all of the FIAT owners here might agree. Actually I generally do not push my cars above 60-70 or max to 80 in those curves owing to the danger involved (Pre-FIAT days). Its actually blinding and extremely steep and also most of the cars I have owned earlier send a shiver down my spine when I do higher speeds in those curves. But the moment I started driving a FIAT, the perception changed. Actually I must say, it woke up my passion towards cars and at the same time woke up the beast within myself I guess.

After that, my driving pattern has changed completely - When I go with someone who generally drives a Maruti or Hyundai, they will be shell shocked to see me accelerating when I see steep curve (as though am on a F1 track)and ask me whats wrong with you. I simply smile and reply that I drive a FIAT. To quote one instance, I actually developed muscular spasm after my trip to Munnar because of the ghats (every curve was a blast to drive in my T-Jet and I pushed her to limits in every curve finishing >60kms of ghats in 90 mins flat). Ramesh, are you reading this?

I am able to see a change in myself on how I saw cars earlier to what I see now.. Now my Linea has become a "extension of myself", an unexplainable feeling. Its something like, you are NOT driving a machine, you are driving yourself (like, the car is an extension of your body).. I couldn't explain the feeling better. But one thing, this feeling is just awesome and addictive. Its truly a "Kick"..."TurboKick". Something that every car enthusiast must feel and live through.
Sathya_sc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:43   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not that i agree to the timings, but since they have claimed it is now slower, the chances of it being faster are lower. But still close to 18 secs for a 93hp Diesel car is a pathetic timing, not sure if it is the auto mag or Fiat.

Please someone who drives a Linea regularly TD the new version and put up comparison here.
I think you missed to read the TD report from me and Sathya_sc. I own Linea MJD and Sathya owns T-Jet+. You can read our report here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2637347

And yes, even I felt the 2012 Linea MJD slower than my Linea. But, I don't think it would take 17+ sec for 0-100. It may be in the range of 15 seconds.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:44   #668
BHPian

I'm thinking of booking one of these beauties in Emotion and had a quick question. Does the the player play .wav off the USB?
Old 20th January 2012, 11:50   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe loser View Post
I'm thinking of booking one of these beauties in Emotion and had a quick question. Does the the player play .wav off the USB?
Yes. It plays. The Blue&Me can play MP3, WMV, and Wav as well .
But, you will have to think about upgrading the speakers at least. The stock speakers are crap.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 20th January 2012 at 11:59.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:11   #670
BHPian

I own a Polo but I can confidently state Punto handles better. Polo doesn't match Palio I had earlier in handling and Punto betters Palio even. However, I feel Polo rides better than both and ergonomics for the driver is much better sorted in Polo. The seats are infinitely more comfortable, steering, gears, pedals, switches on dash all fall to hand more easily and interiors of course looks better. I have to agree Punto and Linea handles much better and the steering feel is to die for.

All the accomplishments of Fiat twins are brought down in one shot by their choice of engines. MJD might be our national engine but performs at its worst in home grown Fiat twins. T-Jet is one decent engine but loses out due to non-offering in Punto. Interior colour choice in Punto continues to make it dull. Somebody please put some sense in Fiat marketing, more than engineering. When once these are sorted, cars start moving out of their showrooms.
Old 20th January 2012, 12:37   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Samar, Thats precisely even I am questioning myself and almost all of the FIAT owners here might agree. Actually I generally do not push my cars above 60-70 or max to 80 in those curves owing to the danger involved (Pre-FIAT days). Its actually blinding and extremely steep and also most of the cars I have owned earlier send a shiver down my spine when I do higher speeds in those curves. But the moment I started driving a FIAT, the perception changed. Actually I must say, it woke up my passion towards cars and at the same time woke up the beast within myself I guess.

I am able to see a change in myself on how I saw cars earlier to what I see now.. Now my Linea has become a "extension of myself", an unexplainable feeling. Its something like, you are NOT driving a machine, you are driving yourself (like, the car is an extension of your body).. I couldn't explain the feeling better. But one thing, this feeling is just awesome and addictive. Its truly a "Kick"..."TurboKick". Something that every car enthusiast must feel and live through.
Definitely Linea has become an "extension of myself" too! Taking high speed U turns requires planning and driving skills and a car alone cannot to do that. But Linea helps build your confidence that you can do it and will not lose control of the car. I drive on Outer Ring Road from Sarjapur, Bangalore to Indira Nagar daily and I am able to take really small U turns at 30 - 40 kmph because I know that the steering is precise, brakes are good and there's very little body roll so when I finish the turn and leave the steering wheel to come back to its position, I am sure that it will not go else where.

Similarly on Domlur flyover coming from 100 ft road and going to M G Road, people in Bangalore who know, is a narrow U turn flyover. I have done 80 kmph on it on numerous occasions in my Linea. First time, I did my wife didn't even realise how fast we were as there's almost no body roll untill I told her about the speed. I am planning to push it further and do something between 85 and 90. I have tried this in a Honda City and I couldn't cross 50 kmph.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 13:03   #672
BHPian

Yes off late i have started overdoing the U turns at high speeds not to show off but the car is so potent in handling and ride that its become natural to me when i am driving Punto.

The max i have done is a complete U-turn at a speed of 80 kms/hr without braking and the car stays pliant and gives a confidence inspiring feeling to do more such stunts.

I go bizzirk on the road at times with this hot, potent machine and trust me when i see or drive other cars, i feel they are lesser possessed ............. Dont mind guys but its the confidence of Punto that when i am driving my Santro or Honda city, i am really weary of taking such risks or doing any kind of stunts.
Its just that i am used to driving a Fiat that i feel scary in others untill its a properly bred Skoda or a proper VW (i mean high end cars of VW and Skoda which are German Engineered in true sense).

Coming to the New PUNTO 2012 i TD it day before and yes there is a remarked increase in pickup in all gears and no nose scraping possibility or an apprehension to slow down on bumpy roads. And also the plastics feel much better. I hope this puts to rest the indifferent response on Punto 2012 atleast.

Now i must say its comprehensively much better buy than anything else available in Diesel in 6 - 7 lacs.
Old 20th January 2012, 13:36   #673
BHPian

I have to completely agree with the handling prowess of the Linea. I had no prior experience of driving (apart from my learning time in a Maruti 800) and fresh off the driving school, decided to get a Linea (a decision made with the heart) . I bought my Linea MJD on Jan 2011

But the sense of re-assurance that the Linea gives me when I push it hard has boosted my confidence a lot. The grip has been fantastic and the ride quality at high speed is just about perfect. I often drive with 4 to 5 passengers with luggage on-board.

Some may say that the Linea is underpowered . But to what use is power without being able to put it on the tarmac with confidence . Thats what the Linea gives me - "The Confidence to drive"
Old 20th January 2012, 13:56   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post

After that, my driving pattern has changed completely - When I go with someone who generally drives a Maruti or Hyundai, they will be shell shocked to see me accelerating when I see steep curve (as though am on a F1 track)and ask me whats wrong with you. I simply smile and reply that I drive a FIAT. To quote one instance, I actually developed muscular spasm after my trip to Munnar because of the ghats (every curve was a blast to drive in my T-Jet and I pushed her to limits in every curve finishing >60kms of ghats in 90 mins flat). Ramesh, are you reading this?

Sathya, I second that. I am sure everybody who has driven a FIAT would agree with every word of your comment. Maybe many latest cars from other manufacturers can match this. But migrating from a Maruthi 800 and Santro Xing, FIAT just took to me a completely different dimension to the extent I consider it a part of my family.

During one of our highway trips in a panic breaking situation at 120km/hour, the poise in which the Punto came to a complete halt without breaking a sweat was just awesome. My wife was screaming all the way seeing the situation thinking that we are going to hit. For a moment even I thought, the accident was on. But the way in which the car responded for a panic breaking situation has to be felt to be believed. The Santro would have just rolled over given a similar situation.

Last edited by gopikb : 20th January 2012 at 14:02.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 14:34   #675
Senior - BHPian

do you guys know the best part of linea and the main differentiating point wrt vento?

in linea you dont feel the speed. if linea is going at 120 you will feel you are going at 80kmph.

in case of vento you feel you are going too fast.

but the punch and power of the vento is unmatchable. to be frank i dont like my ventos drive quality due to the dirty clutch and noisy engine and dull steering.

the engine , clutch and steering +suspensions have such a great quality that you start hating every other car you drive.
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks