Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 19:44   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala t

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Supreme Court judgement cited in the first post of the thread only states that the transport department should investigate the charges if the dealer collects them saying they are towards registration of the vehicle. Where the dealer states the charges are for other services rendered, the transport department has no say in it.

At least that's how I interpret the post.

Now if the buyer insists and the dealer waives off the charges, all fine. But how will one prove that the charges are illegal?
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 13:23   #317
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala t

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Now if the buyer insists and the dealer waives off the charges, all fine. But how will one prove that the charges are illegal?
He isn't going to come out and state that the handling charge will cover RTO bribes, his own selling costs etc etc.

There is absolutely no proof because nothing at all is written down or even communicated verbally in most cases.
Old 21st December 2016, 13:43   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He isn't going to come out and state that the handling charge will cover RTO bribes, his own selling costs etc etc.

There is absolutely no proof because nothing at all is written down or even communicated verbally in most cases.
Exactly my point. The Supreme Court decision actually means the court or the RTO will not interfere as long as there is no proof the dealer is overcharging on the registration charges. The decision in no way seems to discourage the dealers from charging money under other heads. In fact the court judgement seems to acknowledge that the dealer might want to charge extra for washing/polishing/stockyard charges and whatnot.

So how exactly would the state transport department take action against dealers charging "Handling Charges" to the buyers?
Old 21st December 2016, 16:33   #319
BHPian

I dont know for some reason toyota showrooms charge ranging from 15k to 95k extra as tr/pr/pdi &number plate charge from etios to fortuner Any input can be appreciated.I have to book fortuner in april next year.
Old 13th January 2017, 11:36   #320
BHPian

Today I got to see this article in Deccan Chronicle Telangana edition. An Infosys employee makes it to remove handling charges in all Hyundai Dealerships across the country.

Source & Full Article

Quote:
A Hyderabad-based techie who felt he was being “ripped off” by automobile major Hyundai, took them on and won after a resolute two-year-long battle. The victory has led to the cancellation of “handling charges” at all Hyundai showrooms across the country.

Annoyed with all this prevarication, Grandhi lodged a complaint with the Joint Transport Commissioner (JTC) about the charges.

Central Zone Road Transport Officer (RTO) G.P.N. Prasad took up the matter and sought the facts. “When we discovered that handling charges are actually illegal, we warned all the showrooms. We have suspended licenses of two showrooms for similar practices”.

Grandhi’s battle scored a clear victory when Hyundai issued circulars to all their showrooms nationwide, cancelling the handling charges. “Mr. Grandhi’s fight has also led to a massive change in the behaviour of showroom staff,” Mr Prasad added.

And Mr Grandhi also got the Rs 6,950 back (charged additionally against the invoice) from the Hyundai showroom, last month – exactly two years after he started the fight.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2017 at 09:20. Reason: Including excerpt + link to full article
rohiT Nonu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 21:26   #321
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I have another good news to share

We will file a petition next week before National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission,Delhi (National Consumer Forum) on Handling/Logistics Charges levied by Automobile Dealers across India.

Any Judgement passed by this forum is applicable for the entire country and not limited to a particular state.

I will keep you all updated on the developments.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 12:34   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

A good sign - I haven't seen this handling charges applied when I asked for a pricelist (Tiago) from 2 NCR TML dealers (Concorde, AutoVikas). Even though it's a blockbuster car for them (going by the past track record), they have not indulged in this sort of a practice.
Old 28th February 2017, 22:57   #323
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I have a good news to share FINALLY.

We have filed a petition today before The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission,Delhi (National Consumer Forum) on Handling/Logistics Charges levied by Automobile Dealers across India.

We should get the dairy No. In a couple of days and it should be listed for hearing in the next fortnight.

I will keep you all updated on the same.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:46   #324
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

Our PIL on Handling/Logistics charges was heard yesterday at the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC),Delhi.

The question raised by the Court was on maintainability of our complaint since it has been filed by an organisation which is not a consumer organisation per se. Our Legal Counsel drove attention of the Court to Section 12(1)(b) after which the Court observed that since the issue related to categories of organisation which can file complaints before Consumer Fora is under examination by a larger bench, hence it would be in the fitness of things that the matter is taken up for admission after the decision of such larger bench.

The matter has thus been adjourned to 31.05.2017 for admission hearing.

I will keep you all updated on the same.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 11:57   #325
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I need urgent help for our PIL on Handling/Logistics Charges.

We need invoices of cars/bikes that were purchased across India and the buyers should have paid Handling/Logistics Charges.

A pro-forma invoice/quotation mentioning these Handling/Logistics Charges in a separate item-line is a must.

Please email the same to waseemmemonbt@gmail.com in the next 7 days as we need to file them by 25th April before the National Consumer Forum.

Please Help.

Waseem....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 12:58   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
We need invoices of cars/bikes that were purchased across India and the buyers should have paid Handling/Logistics Charges.

A pro-forma invoice/quotation mentioning these Handling/Logistics Charges in a separate item-line is a must.
Dear MODS, this is an important juncture in this case. It might be more helpful if this can be moved to a separate thread or the thread can be renamed in an apt way.
Old 1st June 2017, 23:56   #327
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

Our PIL (Drive without Borders Foundation vs. Federation of Automobile Dealers Association of India(CC/613/2017): NCDRC) on Handling/Logistic Charges was listed before the Hon'ble National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission today.

Our legal counsel requested the Hon'ble Commission to give us an opportunity to amend the present complaint and file the amended complaint in some time.

The Hon'ble Commission was pleased to grant an opportunity to us & matter is next listed on 01.11.2017.

We need to file the amended complaint in a month's time and i need your help on the same.Please let me know if you guys have paid handling/logistics charges any where in the country when buying a new car.

I can be reached at waseemmemonbt@gmail.com.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 00:26   #328
BHPian

You're doing a great work here, Waseem. If this PIL comes through then it will be very helpful to all future car buyers. I am not buying any new car soon, but do really hope that you are getting all the help that you need. I too will ask my friends to check the invoices of their recent purchases.

Thanks a lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Our PIL (Drive without Borders Foundation vs. Federation of Automobile Dealers Association of India(CC/613/2017): NCDRC) on Handling/Logistic Charges was listed before the Hon'ble National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission today.
Old 26th July 2017, 20:13   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Dealer at Ranchi is charging unethically for D&P(which I have been told is Delivery and Processing). Isn't this a scam??

Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too-img20170724wa0029.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 20:52   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Toyota Dealer at Ranchi is charging unethically for D&P(which I have been told is Delivery and Processing). Isn't this a scam??
Regards,
Shashi
Well, Maruti is doing this in a much bigger scale these days. Their ex showroom price already includes shipping and logistics charge and so their prices vary from city to city. The prices between Gurgaon and Chennai vary upto 30k depending upon the car and variant. The worst part about this is that since this cost is included as part of the ex showroom price, it impacts the road tax adversely, as in TN the RTO calculates road tax on the ex showroom price and not the factory price
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks