Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 07:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mega Auto Expo 2014 Thread: General Discussion, Live Feed & Pics

I for one would be very happy. Along with moving it out i hope they fire their organizing company. Delhi has become too crowded to have these kind of events.
Old 11th January 2012, 08:05   #17
BANNED

They dont need to shift the venue, coz they wont find a better venue thats so huge and has so many halls for display and other available infrastructure like a number of restaurants, toilets, metro station, bus stops and auto stands etc.

What they should do is that they should clear their heads and keep reserved days and extend the duration of the expo. For eg.

Day 1 - media
Day 2 - invitees and vips
Day 3 & 4 - Premium ticket holders
Day 5 - people aged above 50
Day 6 - women's day
Day 7 - Day 10 - general ticket holders

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 11th January 2012 at 08:07.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
They have said, they might consider shifting the venue outside *of* the city.

So, unless the author has terrible English, this report means, the venue might be outside the main city, i.e. in the outskirts of Delhi.
I am sure the Gurgaon property developers will welcome this.

There has been a discussion for many years to setup an exhibition center at Tauru village near manesar on the arterial KMP expressway. Probably they are referring to some place like this or greater Noida.

@LastActionHero- Good points. Agree with u.

@Chalu - Correct me if I'm wrong but the BIC cannot accomodate lakhs INSIDE any display areas - yes, there would be separate convention centers being planned.

EDIT: Atleast the photos of global auto shows i see never have as many crowds. You cannot expect any venue of any size to let millions of folks, to get up close to vehicles. Either you extend the duration to reduce crowds, or you make it bleedingly expensive or you live with the crowds.

Talking of leaving Pragati Maidan is good on paper, but I don't see how any other venue will avoid the same fate if they don't manage the entrants per day.

PS: of course, the flow issues in halls 7-11 are repeated reminder that there is absolutely no point in scheduling pax flow like that if it can be so easily pinched if even a fifty people decide to stand outside a stall (and in reality its thousands!)

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th January 2012 at 12:13.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:23   #19
BHPian

I just hope they don't move it to Bombay. We just don't have the space here. I think outskirts of New Delhi works well. I doubt it will be moved to Gujarat - for all the red carpets rolled out by Modi - there is a difference in pulling in a manufacturing unit and holding an exhibit. You need a metro for that which unfortunately Gujarat does not have.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:33   #20
BHPian

Pragati Maidan covers an area around 150 acres and has 61,290 sq. meters of covered exhibition space and more than 10,000 sq. meters of open display area with several other buildings, parks, eateries, performance spaces etc. Where in India we get such a prime space in the center of a metro city?

Why to invest crores of rupees to build new facility? Why can't we "plan and manage" the events at the existing place itself?

Why don't we learn something from the City of London, which is going to host the 2012 Olympics?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 11th January 2012, 14:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if shifting the location would help. Whatever place be it, the people "involved" in this process make the real difference. I am wondering if they will be shifted?

Spike
Old 11th January 2012, 17:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dwarka in Delhi, is the place they have decided it to be.

More details here

Dwarka may be future Auto Expo shows
Old 11th January 2012, 18:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Why to invest crores of rupees to build new facility? Why can't we "plan and manage" the events at the existing place itself?

Why don't we learn something from the City of London, which is going to host the 2012 Olympics?

Cheers!
Irish
I agree on the 1st bit - see what i wrote above boss.

ref the second - no way man. sports events cost billions and end up in losses - see this as a sample:
London 2012 Olympic Bid - Press

google will show the amount of billions being pumped into london for olympics. we shouldnt invest more in another venue - use same place better and keep it a 2 tier event:
1-2 days only media +
2 days only high value visitors (either employee of participating company or like 4-5k/day ticket) +
10-12 days for the crowds (including 2 weekends).

it will be sad if public money is spent for another edifice!
Old 11th January 2012, 18:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I agree on the 1st bit - see what i wrote above boss.

ref the second - no way man. sports events cost billions and end up in losses - see this as a sample:
London 2012 Olympic Bid - Press

google will show the amount of billions being pumped into london for olympics. we shouldnt invest more in another venue - use same place better and keep it a 2 tier event:
1-2 days only media +
2 days only high value visitors (either employee of participating company or like 4-5k/day ticket) +
10-12 days for the crowds (including 2 weekends).

it will be sad if public money is spent for another edifice!
London Olympics should be considered only for the planning and management of such a big events and not for the financial gains / losses. We should learn good practices wherever we can learn from.

10-12 days for crowds will be too much. Also there will be cars displayed without the models.

Most Important: Number of free passes / invites via Government Dept. (like ITPO, Min. of commerce etc.) as well as car makers should be STRICTLY restricted. Not only this event but all those events which are organized anywhere in India.

Agree with you on increasing the cost of tickets.

EDIT:

Touts sold entry tickets for rs 500:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/11441977.cms

A total of 1,15,000 free passes were distributed for the first two days:

http://zeenews.india.com/business/sp...id=23&aid=1025

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 11th January 2012 at 19:06.
Old 11th January 2012, 19:21   #25

There also the expo mart in Greater Noida which could used as a future venue, don't know how big it is though compared to pragati maidan.
Old 11th January 2012, 19:29   #26
BHPian

Why always Delhi? Delhi is getting the best of everything, low fuel price, low Road Tax, all major Expos, CWG(less scam), F1(near). Yes Delhi is our capital but Delhi is not India, there is a world outside Delhi, these organizers should think about rest of the country, IMO it should be in rotation within all Metros if not all Major cities.
Old 11th January 2012, 19:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

My Suggestion
1)Stop free passes

2)Price the tickets around 1K

3)Only 4 wheeled and 2 wheeled beauties please,we have enough fashion shows for the 2 legged variety.

Also,from what i have heard F1 Circuit is one of the prime contenders to be the next venue.
Old 11th January 2012, 19:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

The best doublespeak is by the head honchos.
Are they not aware that their companies were distributing free passes to the tune of thousands? Mahindra is a case in point Am sure others were equally liable.

Its like me blaming mcdonalds for my overweight but forgetting that its me who eats it!!
Old 11th January 2012, 22:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

The area inside the booth is decision of a company. For example Yamaha will decide to take X sq.mts. depending on their budget but could be too small for their display and to manage the crowd then outside space of the venue is useless. That is what is happening in Expo.

The management is pushing the blame of ill management on the venue. Simple!! They have a great venue but they should manage the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
A total of 1,15,000 free passes were distributed for the first two days:

http://zeenews.india.com/business/sp...id=23&aid=1025

Cheers!
Irish
Everyone should read this article to make out how everybody including CII/participants are passing the blame on venue and asking Govt to give a bigger venue.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:11   #30
Team-BHP Support

From what I gather, Delhi may not have been as bad as Beijing

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. Beijing auto show: a global shambles | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times

Since the 2008 Olympic games, non-China residents could be forgiven for thinking that the Middle Kingdom was now a place capable of pulling off world class events with relative ease. It has the trains, the highways, the airports, the staff, and the money to compete with anyone, anywhere. Doesn’t it?

Visitors to the Beijing auto show this week would have been quickly disabused

More hereBeijing auto show: a global shambles | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed