Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 15:34   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch new Swift DZire in February

My apprehensions about this new Dzire CS:-

1) With the new swift very low on boot space, I have a feeling that the many customers could end up buying the dzire CS instead and thus affecting the swift hatch's sales marginally.
2) People who want a proper boot could give this new dzire cs a miss and may not end up buying the current dzire as well since it would be apparent that the current one is a "older" model when the cs is launched. You will then see etios and the manza benefiting due to this.

H.ever I feel that the above factors are marginal and it may not make a big dent to Maruti. After the CS's launch I assume that the sales of the hatch, the cs and the current dzire would settle at 30k units per month, after the initial hype. And this kind of a number is only what other manufacturers can dream of. Maruti seems to be the one who is laughing all the way to the bank without too much of an effort really. If you look at the vista / manza combo, the dashboard is different, the wheelbase is different and hence it is more effort from tata, and less savings, compared to the swift versions where the wheelbase is the same and almost all of the parts are the same except the boot. Even the linea and the punto share different headlights / front grill etc! Only the etios /liva are quite similar in that way to the swift, but sales are just 1/4th of the swift's inspite of a toyota badge.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:47   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Is it only Maruti who is fooling us like this? What about Tata (CS, Indigo and ....? Are they doing any rocket science to attach the boot to the respective hatch version?
There is a different aspect to Maruti with this new Dzire. They are NOT creating a full size sedan in the first place. Secondly they are getting tax benfits on the new model which they are NOT planning to pass on to the customers, thereby enjoying bigger profits. In case of TATA CS, the customers do get some part of the savings and a reduced price tag than the proper Indigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...I read in ACI that they want to position the old DZire in the taxi segment. Now, why would they want that? Aren't the image conscious manufacturers trying their level best to get away from the taxi segment? for ex: Toyota.
The new Dzire & old one are different though they have similar looks. So the company would NOT mind making some money out of the old one thru the taxi market. And again it will be that the Old Dzire will be available ONLY in L trim and the new one in V & Z trims. And this should be seen as the differentiation factor. For other companies, they still are NOT producing 2 versions and most of them are in their first year and they may NOT want to ruin the brand reputation. Dzire has already built a strong brand with in private buyers; so some extra taxis would not hurt Maruti at all. Dzire private-taxi ratio should be 80-20 or more in favor of private owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Then there is the case for SX4. The current DZire is the biggest challenger for the SX4. Despite the VGT DDiS, the SX4 has failed to take off. And 2 DZires will simply price the SX4 out of the equation even further. I feel, if there is only the new compact DZire available with its modest boot, there will be more takers for the SX4.
I would say SX4 sales declined because it simply doesn't feel up to the mark with rest of the players from the same segment. And if someone wants to buy a car in the SX4 range, I don't think they will settle for new Dzire. Am sure the people with that budget will settle for somethng else from the segment. Remember, SX4 does have a status symbol attached to it [required for most of the owners looking at that segment] than Dzire which has the tag - "Budget sedan".

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
....would MSIL push those customers to accept a shorter car than they had booked/were promised and that too at the same cost; if yes, how ethical is that?
In a way, true - I guess a lot of people are going to be disappointed or left fuming. They paid for a BIGGER boot, but getting a shorter one. But I feel Maruti is going to stress to much on the new 150 features to counter the small boot!!

I have a hunch that Etios will benefit to some extent from this launch! Good time for TATA also to gain some good sales, if they offer some hard discounts on Manza right after this launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
My apprehensions about this new Dzire CS:-

1) With the new swift very low on boot space, I have a feeling that the many customers could end up buying the dzire CS instead and thus affecting the swift hatch's sales marginally.
Less likely! What else do you get for that additional 1L ? A slightly bigger boot which still makes the car looks ugly ? Had it [Dzire CS] come at a lower price than current Dzire, then it would have made sense. At the price they are projecting, don't think there is anything beneficial for a Swift customer.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th January 2012 at 15:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 15:51   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyushjain View Post
Figure of 150 new features as claimed by Suzuki seems to be unrealistic to me.
I'm willing to bet features list (150 additional) would include stuff like -

New cut grill.
Bolder looking bumpers.
Enlarged Suzuki logo at front.
Enhanced space
New tail lamps etc etc.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:36   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti claims that the new Swift Dzire as atleast 150 new features. Can anyone list atleast 15-20 Key new features of new swift Dzire as compared to old Dzire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I keep thinking about 150 features etc claims by Maruti. It might well be true but how much are we really bothered about it.
Quote:
Most of the above feature are already available in current version of Dzire

1. Dual Tone Dash Board
2. Integrated Stereo - Present in current version
3. Climate Control A/c - Present in current version
4. Frount Dual SRS Airbags - Present in current version
5. Brake Assist - Present in current version
6. Engine Drag Control System - Not sure

Figure of 150 new features as claimed by Suzuki seems to be unrealistic to me.
Cmon, Maruti is a company which launches "special editions" by stickering cars! Do you think it's difficult for them to prove 150 *new* features? Add a *new* to all features and am sure all features will be termed as new features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
150 new features is hard to believe. Did the new Swift have 150 more features than the older model? I don't think so. Heck, I don't even think the Swift has 150 more features than the M800. Maybe it's 15 and 150 is a typo. Or Maruti is going to announce new features like "new" headlamps, "new" taillamps, "new" bootlid, "new" stylish front grill, "new" two-tone interiors, "new" chrome surround on AC vents, "new" fake wood trim, "new" stylish alloy design, "new" compact boot etc.
You cracked it buddy!! Exactly my point.

1. *new* grill
2. *new* airdam
3. *new* foglamps
4. *new* headlights
5. *new* dashboard
6. *new* beige color
7. *new* steering controls
8. *new* steering wheel
9. *new* ACC
10. *new* stereo
11. *new* brake lights
12. *new* Boot
13. *new* ORVM indicators
14. *new* colors
15. *new* alloy wheels
16. *new* AC grill

And we have not started talking about the *actual* features including chassis & the likes. Who said it can't 150 features?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th January 2012 at 16:38.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:56   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

I am somehow starting to really dislike the car's rear. It just suddenly ends on you specially when you view it from the sides. I am not too sure who will buy this car. I either want a hatch or a sedan, not a chimeric creature in between. But since I also want to save money, there is a possibility that I would compromise on that boot space a little and go for this so called CS Dzire. But that will happen only because ( and its a big BECAUSE) the car would cost me less. With it costing the same as the other PROPER SEDANS like Manza and Etios, why should I compromise? Its not like they are selling it with a BMW badge or have made special service hubs for it like the XUV and so on.
What is exactly the USP of the car? Less car for more money? I am truly puzzled.

Edit: Most of the reviews on the net mention that the company will pass on the tax benefits to the customer. Are we really sure that the prices will be same as the current Dzire?

Last edited by drmohitg : 18th January 2012 at 16:59.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:02   #96
Team-BHP Support

There are several cars in India, today, that make me react differently to each one of them. While the new Swift puts a smile on my face, the ICML Rhino makes me want to barf! The new Brio makes me go 'aww', this new Dzire CS makes me want to laugh!

It's funny! It actually, really is a laugh riot, the new CS. And no, I'm not laughing with it. I'm laughing at it. Because it makes me want to. It looks funny. No it doesn't look particularly bad or horrible. It just looks, umm, funny!

The design is so very obviously 'forced'. The Swift hatch was never designed to be a sedan. So when you crudely add a twiddly bit at the back, it will look awkward. It's hilarious, this car. There isn't much else I can say.

Oh, and it is MSIL, ironically, who will be laughing all the way to the bank.

What I just can't seem to fathom is this craze about small sedans in India. yes, it would prove to be very practical if it has a big boot, and is spacious and frugal and everything. But this Dzire CS has a boot that is even smaller than my Jazz! So what is the point of buying a sedan instead of a hatch, if the boot isn't as big as it should have been?

EDIT: Also, the top-end Swift hatch with MJD costs 8 lakhs (thereabout) OTR in Bangalore. we can safely assume that the Dzire CS will be more expensive than that.

A hatchback, with a ruined design and an apology for a boot @ 9 lakhs?! Is Maruti losing the plot here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Instead of making it a CS, MSIL could very well have made it a EH - Enlarged Hatch. This would have liberated a lot more head space for rear passengers and at the sime keeping the boot size similar (even more if you consider the space after removing the rear parcel tray).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I also think that a crossover could've been better idea than a sedan. I am posting my imagination of Swift Crossover which was published on IndianAutosBlog website too.
Isn't the Maruti Ertiga just that? An enlarged station-wagon/estate'ish hatchback? The Ertiga is based on the Swift platform. But it's larger, longer and more spacious.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th January 2012 at 17:06.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:06   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are we really sure that the prices will be same as the current Dzire?
Yes it would be once you factor in the recent price hike [nil in case of current Dzire] and subtract that with the excise benefit and voila you get the New Dzire at a cost lower than the outgoing one and still priced at par with outgoing Dzire.

Insane ways of Maruti to fleece customers.

Last edited by anandjha : 18th January 2012 at 17:12.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:09   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Yes it would be once you factor in the recent price hike [nil in case of current Dzire] and subtract that with the excise benefit and voila you get the New Dzire at a cost lower than the outgoing one.

Insane ways of Maruti to fleece customers.
No but then that would in the end make it considerably cheaper than the Etios and Manza? If yes then this car will fly off the shelves. If not then its just all a gimmick and I don't think in today's world MSIL tag is enough for the car to match the sales of its predecessor.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:10   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Isn't the Maruti Ertiga just that? An enlarged station-wagon/estate'ish hatchback? The Ertiga is based on the Swift platform. But it's larger, longer and more spacious.
Spot on !
Ertiga is nothing but a station wagon with an extra bench IMO.
One chassis : two different hatches,one 7/8 seater, one mini sedan and one micro sedan!

What next ?
Mini 4X4 off roader ?
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:19   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

What next ?
Mini 4X4 off roader ?
Isn't that in the pipeline as well?

A Swift-platform-based, so-called Gypsy successor, the XA Alpha concept?

Looks like Maruti wants to go to war, and not make 'cars'

EDIT: Maruti have thought of everything. Making a CS sedan (the Dzire CS), a proper sedan out of a hatch (the Dzire), a micro-mini Van (the Ertiga) and even a micro-mini SUV based on a hatch (the XA Alpha) problem is, I think they're over-thinking everything too. And what's with this cockiness in hiking the prices of everything? Have they forgotten that they were instrumental in putting 'man-in-car' in India. I think success is getting to their heads.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th January 2012 at 17:24.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:28   #101
BHPian

I don't know if i am the only one , who is finding the Dzire not a bad car to look at. The trapezoidal tail lamps make sure , the car looks fine when viewed from the rear and the side profile may be a little compromised by the boot ending abruptly, but all in all, the looks are definitely palatable to me.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:34   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
I don't know if i am the only one , who is finding the Dzire not a bad car to look at. The trapezoidal tail lamps make sure , the car looks fine when viewed from the rear and the side profile may be a little compromised by the boot ending abruptly, but all in all, the looks are definitely palatable to me.
I feel its all about the pricing. The earlier Dzire looked even worse but still carries a waiting period. The XUV was ridiculed for its looks on day 1 before the pricing was announced. Similarly the entry level segment for sedans is not exactly known for good looks. The Dzire, Manza, Etios, Verito - all look quirky from some angles and its more about the overall package and VFM pricing.

So the bottom line is at current Dzire's price, the CS looks horrible.
At a lower price point it surely doesn't look all that bad.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:49   #103
BHPian

Oh no !! Some how i feel the swift itself is priced much higher , the top end ZDI nearly selling for 7.4 lakhs .
If i wanted a sedan I will look for a sedan not a cut and paste job where the poor car itself dont know whether it is a sedan , hatch or both!! (multiple identity syndrome)
I think Maruti dont have a proper sedan in their stable except kisashi , both SX4 and Dzire have add on boots.
Quote:
1. *new* grill
2. *new* airdam
3. *new* foglamps
4. *new* headlights
17. *new* stylish right front Alloy wheel
18. *new* stylish left front Alloy wheel
21. *new* stylish chrome Automaic bading *(only available for Auto)
22. All *new* Beige carpets.
23. All *new* wider ORVMS
24. *new * stylish and compact Boot Mat (easy to clean).
Old 18th January 2012, 17:51   #104
BHPian

Here are my thoughts:-

Say if the new CS dzire doesnt sell like hotcakes and a customer wants something more then that voila let him have the Ertiga. So the customer stays with Maruti and sales keeps on growing
Old 18th January 2012, 18:04   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

As long as it sells and there's a 3-6 month waiting period for it, Maruti-Suzuki won't be complaining.

But they have clearly rewritten the books on how to make a toad even uglier by cutting off it's fat tail.

Will it croak it's way into the banks again? I have a feeling it will.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks