Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 13:05   #46
BHPian

Re: PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch

The new design gear/floor console seems available only on E9 variat as per catalogue spec sheet. If true and if other E variants get old xylo floor console is not going to be appealing.

As for Xylo E9 pricing it is surprising how Mahindra priced it at 10.25 Lakhs, while the base W6 variant of XUV 500 retailing at 11 Lakhs and XUV offers mHawk engine 140PS 340 Torqe, all wheel disc breaks, ACC, ORVM integrated blinkers, better exterior looks, better interior features, fit & finish, better ride+better handling, base XUV W6 variant has everything better + image than new Xylo E9 variant at that high 10Lakhs plus price point.

It will be better if mahindra offers mHawk engine across Evarinats on Xylo, as Scorpio and XUV sports the same mHawk engine and prove economical for Mahindra and customes can benefit from it.

Last edited by harimakesh : 10th February 2012 at 13:32.
Old 10th February 2012, 14:18   #47

I feel E9 is targeted only to the private buyers. IMO, no taxi operator would buy E9.

As a private buyer, people would like to have features that are different. So the features like voice activated command are coming in, along with Italian leather interiors, leather wrapped gear knob etc. This looks like an attempt to attract private buyers which have kept themselves away from Xylo till now. How much success they get – time will only tell.

Price conscious people can always look at E8.
Old 10th February 2012, 19:25   #48
BHPian

The Ex-showroom Price of Scorpio VLX 4x2 BS4 with airbag is 10.5Lakhs and XYlo E9 is 10.25 Lakhs. Other than Surround a/c ,leather seats and Voice command New Xylo E9 MUV has very little to offer against Macho SUV Scorpio VLX 4x2 which has better brand perception and hence better resale value.

Will the MUV van type All new Xylo E9 model take off in sales while competing with its own Macho SUV siblings Scorpio VLX 4x2 and base W6 variant ofXUV 500 ? it will be interesting to see what canibalization effect may emerge due to cross shopping at Mahindra show rooms now.

Already XUV 500 has impacted on Xylo monthly sales figures by 750 units slow down from an monthly average ofaverage 2500 units to 1750 units. I suppose all these 750 units must be from Xylo top end E8 private buyers moving to XUV 500 W6.

Now with price creep on Xylo E8 and deletion of Alloy wheels on Xylo E8 ABS more private buyers will shun Xylo top end models and may migrate to XUV (this is applicable to & Scorpio VLX 4x2 also).

Mahindra must seroiusly double check to keep its very steep price creep ambitions at check.

IMHO New Xylo E9 variant pricing gives the same cold feeling I felt at the time of Aria due to sheer over pricing emanated out of over confidence by Aria Manufacturer.

Last edited by harimakesh : 10th February 2012 at 19:31.
Old 10th February 2012, 20:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2012 Mahindra Xylo

The front of the XUV 500 and the new Refreshed Xylo show that the chrome "Sabre Toothed Tiger maxillary canine's" treatment on the front grille introduced by Mahindra in early 2009 is passe now, after 3 years.Never mind Mahindra, the Sabre Toothed Tiger is an extinct species since 10,000 years (end of the Ice Age).
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-sabre-toothed-tiger.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-dsc07165.jpg
Guess the Refreshed editions will get the new Xylo and XUV like treatment on the grille, as the recently Refreshed Boleros (2010/11) and Scorpios (2009) still adorn the Sabre Toothed Tiger grille.
The plastics on the interiors are of low quality still. Wonder when all this will become classier ? The Maxx, Savari, Bolero, Xylo, Scorpio and the XUV perhaps share the same quality of plastics.
Even if they make a Xylo E 9 or E 11, gradually the Xylo is acquiring a taxi image like the Tavera and Sumo. A Xylo pick up version is also on sale.
A private buyer who pays Rs 10 L plus looks for a classier car / SUV with some brand equity and image and hence Mahindra needs to either avoid the taxi market or the classier versions.Both may not go on simultaneously for long.
Ambassadors and Fiats were used as taxis and also privately owned by multi-millionaires and billionaires in the older days, as there was little choice. Those days are gone now.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th February 2012 at 20:39.
Old 10th February 2012, 21:33   #50
BHPian

Re: The 2012 Mahindra Xylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
... The Maxx, Savari, Bolero, Xylo, Scorpio and the XUV perhaps share the same quality of plastics.
You mean quality of plastic compared to price of each of those vehicles or are you telling they all are similar (low)quality plastics? If it is the former I to some extent agree but definitely not the later. I drive a Scorpio and have sat in the Bolero and Xylo (not the latest one though). For me Scorpio and Xylo plastic quality is definitely better than that of Bolero.
Old 12th February 2012, 23:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
What a Xylo !!

I must confess i have never been a fan of the Xylo . Although i have traveled in it a lot , but never really liked it .
It moves around a lot more than what one would expect and looked like an angry potato . However this new model strikes something in the heart.

Even though i am a Staunch Tata loyalist , i must say Tata must learn a thing or two from Mahindra in how to make a car "better" .
Angry Potato is the most apt word for the old Xylo ! and wonder what is the right word for the turned up moustache in the rear of the XUV500, but great looks for the front. I understand in is a one (wo)man show at M&M that has some beautiful styling in some places and bloopers in others.

But hope the team here has realised that the Safari Storme seems to have done a Xylo on the Safari - the front treatment is too similar to escape notice. Need a better styling group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta
The mythical 4x4 Xylo: any details of drivetrain? -
M&M has the MUV and SUV scene pretty tied up for now, till the Ecosport and Duster arrive. We will know who wins, but some thing tells me that while Ford has finally learnt the price value relationship, Renault may just burn its fingers if the homework is not done, and leave the 4X4 the Duster is famous for or price it far too high to survive.

But for now, its M&M who's the king of the road. Take a Bow!
Hats off Ladies and Gentlemen.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th February 2012 at 21:12. Reason: Fixing quote. You can select text, and click the "quote" button to put it in a quote box.
Old 13th February 2012, 10:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Is the 3rd row on New Xylo sporting now 60:40 spilit seats? Watch it on the brochure page where The model sitting alone on the 3rd row seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
^^^I don't think so. With the folding arm rest it would be difficult to get the 60:40 split. Also the lock points on the chassis will probably change to accommodate two separate seats which might be too much trouble.
There is no split on the rear bench. Check pictures below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Big question: Voice activated commands are really required for this segment??? This is a MPV segment, so mainly it is going to be used for taxis means driven by drivers. Though E9 may be used by urban hi end customers also, i dont think voice activated commands are really required for that. Its like you can easily live without that feature. If without that if M&M can reduce price by 30-40 K then its more of VFM. People will prefer that i guess
I agree that most people won't really use it much. But I commend Mahindra for leading the innovation curve in this segment. Various features like these will be slowly developed the world over and will lead to the next generation of in-car interfaces. Its good to know that an Indian manufacturer is not only matching but also leading the innovation in certain areas.

Some more pictures:

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-1.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-3.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-5.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-7.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-8.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-12.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-15.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-17.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-18.jpg

No 60:40 Split:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-19.jpg

The Floor is covered with dark fabric, easy to keep it clean:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-22.jpg

Non-existent transmission tunnel hump:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-23.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-24.jpg

Reading lights for each of the middle row passengers:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-25.jpg

Coat hanger:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-interior-26.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-13.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-14.jpg

Blacked out D-pillar:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-15.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-17.jpg

PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-20.jpg

Parking Sensors:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-21.jpg

The rear step will be very useful if you have a carrier attached:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-22.jpg

Roof rails:
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-2012-xylo-exterior-23.jpg

Last edited by jalsa777 : 13th February 2012 at 10:30.
jalsa777 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 12:06   #53
BHPian

@Jalsa Have you looked at the interiors of other E8/E4 variants? How is the floor console on E8/E4 models? Is it the same like E9?
Old 13th February 2012, 12:32   #54
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The E9 Xylo varient has indeed come too close to the W6 XUV and Scorpio VLX. Infact the Xylo does offer the most space among the three but that appart it just does not make sense from any angle be it features, the looks or the snob value.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:19   #55
BHPian

The Music System is VERY Similar to the one, that is available in the Chevrolet Spark. Does this one have a Remote also ?

Attaching a Picture of the Music System for reference, from My Chevrolet Spark.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : The 2012 Mahindra Xylo Facelift Launch-dsc01948.jpg  

Old 13th February 2012, 14:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
@Jalsa Have you looked at the interiors of other E8/E4 variants? How is the floor console on E8/E4 models? Is it the same like E9?
No, have not seen those models
Old 13th February 2012, 14:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post

I agree that most people won't really use it much. But I commend Mahindra for leading the innovation curve in this segment. Various features like these will be slowly developed the world over and will lead to the next generation of in-car interfaces. Its good to know that an Indian manufacturer is not only matching but also leading the innovation in certain areas.
See what Motoroids has to say about the functionality :

"There is a button on the steering wheel which you have to press before you say a command. Now, if you’re not clear or loud enough, you’ll have to repeat your command. There’s a high probability that you wouldn’t be understood in the first go. If you have many people sitting in the car, the ambient noise will also make it difficult for the system to understand what you’re trying to say. And it’s not as if you don’t have to press a button before having an action completed. You do have to activate Voice Command via a button on the steering wheel. So how does it become more convenient then? I would rather just press an easily accessible button, than pressing a button, saying commands, in some cases repeating them many times, before finally completing the action by pressing the damn control button the good old way!

The new Voice Command system is novel for sure, but I don’t quite think of it as adding any great functionality to the cabin. Nice stuff to show off to your friends though."

That's the same point i wanted to say. This feature is not that necessary at all. Its like good to have but not at all necessary or like it will be missed by the users. So if its increasing the cost unnecessarily then there is big NO for that. This feature will make Xylo more than 11 L on road. It will make some buyers nervous. Do you agree? I guess they should have kept E9 near to million mark means 10 L. It would have attracted more buyers for sure.
Old 13th February 2012, 15:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
See what Motoroids has to say about the functionality :

"There is a button on the steering wheel which you have to press before you say a command. Now, if you’re not clear or loud enough, you’ll have to repeat your command. There’s a high probability that you wouldn’t be understood in the first go. If you have many people sitting in the car, the ambient noise will also make it difficult for the system to understand what you’re trying to say. And it’s not as if you don’t have to press a button before having an action completed. You do have to activate Voice Command via a button on the steering wheel. So how does it become more convenient then? I would rather just press an easily accessible button, than pressing a button, saying commands, in some cases repeating them many times, before finally completing the action by pressing the damn control button the good old way!

The new Voice Command system is novel for sure, but I don’t quite think of it as adding any great functionality to the cabin. Nice stuff to show off to your friends though."

That's the same point i wanted to say. This feature is not that necessary at all. Its like good to have but not at all necessary or like it will be missed by the users. So if its increasing the cost unnecessarily then there is big NO for that. This feature will make Xylo more than 11 L on road. It will make some buyers nervous. Do you agree? I guess they should have kept E9 near to million mark means 10 L. It would have attracted more buyers for sure.
I cannot comment on the costing of this system because Mahindra knows best about it. It won't be much i feel though.

What Motoroids says about convenience is true, 99.9% percent of the people won't be using it on a regular basis.
But what they say about the system not understanding commands and ambient noise troubling it is not true. We played around the system quite a bit and there was never an issue about it picking up commands and we didn't encounter any situation in which we had to repeat the command.

All in all I agree that it is adding an unnecessary cost to the whole package, but its also a cool feature that will grab more footsteps into the showroom and hence result in more sales probably.
Its an eye-grabbing feature and in today's market conditions that is a good thing. Also, there is no price war in the segment the Xylo is in, so Mahindra would not have worried too much about a few thousand extra.
This is just my opinion.
Old 13th February 2012, 17:36   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

The upgrade or the refresh as one calls it is the step in the right direction. The E8 and the E9 pricing is in overlapping with the scorpio. Wouldn't the new Xylo eat up a bit of sales from the Scorpio?
Old 13th February 2012, 20:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

The interiors in the pictures atleast look much better than the scorpio. Little bit of chrome here and there helps improving the overall feel of the cabin. I still wish they had kept the E9 below the 10L figure mark. Reason being, in states such as TN and KA, there is a significant increase for road tax for vehicles costing more than 10L ex-showroom.

@Sharma sanjeevi - You are right, it looks very similar. I beleive Nippon is the OEM HU supplier for both chevy and M&M.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks