Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2014, 11:31   #361
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

and 1.2 three cylinder engine would be more fuel efficient as well.. More the better in small hatch segment.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:28   #362
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I thought it was the NVH concerns that made them shelve plans for a 3 pot, 1.2 lit. diesel in the current Brio. As it is, Honda are currently working on reducing the high NVH levels on the diesel Amaze based on customer complaints/feedback. A 3 cylinder version of the Amaze's 4 pot aluminium lump would make quite a racket in the Brio.

The next generation Brio/Amaze chassis should hopefully have improvements (more cabin insulation & less cost cutting) that keep NVH levels under control. By that time, Honda would have also worked on reducing the all-aluminium open deck Earth Dreams engine's inherent diesel clatter. So the next generation Brio would be a suitable candidate for the 1.2 litre 3 cylinder i-DTEC, I guess.

Last edited by RSR : 17th October 2014 at 12:30.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:30   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
Also, Honda's not making much money on the Brio currently, they are in-fact almost breaking even on the cost side with each Brio as the car is not much localised. You wont see many Honda dealers actually "Pushing" the Brio to the customers.
The flavour of the month is Mobilio and the past month was Amaze. Remember Honda is a small manufacturer and they are fully engaged, even though Rajasthan is also up and running. Remember there is also a suppply chain involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
and 1.2 three cylinder engine would be more fuel efficient as well.. More the better in small hatch segment.
Also more vibrations. By the looks of it the 1.2 was nothing more than a test bed. We have four Honda's in my family - Brio & Civic of mine and City and Amaze of my son and d-i-l, all Petrol.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:57   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The flavour of the month is Mobilio and the past month was Amaze. Remember Honda is a small manufacturer and they are fully engaged, even though Rajasthan is also up and running. Remember there is also a suppply chain involved.

Also more vibrations. By the looks of it the 1.2 was nothing more than a test bed. We have four Honda's in my family - Brio & Civic of mine and City and Amaze of my son and d-i-l, all Petrol.
I would have loved to see the 1.5 iDtec with the City's 6-Spd GB in Brio, throw in a bit fatter tyres and boy oh boy, will we have the hottest hatch.

OT: Even though its almost 2 years since iDtec was launched, i havent seen any ECU mods for it. Does it mean that the big H has locked down the ECU?
Old 17th October 2014, 19:40   #365
BHPian

Forget the 1.2 diesel, what honda should do is revamp their image in the market, take itself back to the glory days of the original Vtec city and the accord v6. Put itself as the maker of seriously fast , fun, yet utterly reliable and practical everyday cars.

What they need to do is plonk the 1.5 ivtec in the brio and give it uprated suspension, brakes, better tyres and proper body hugging front seats. That would make it the hot hatch of the decade. It would easily be a match for the gt twins or anything south of 30 lakhs.

I know this is fantasy of mine is never going to happen, but one can always dream, right?
Old 17th October 2014, 19:51   #366
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post

What they need to do is plonk the 1.5 ivtec in the brio and give it uprated suspension, brakes, better tyres and proper body hugging front seats. That would make it the hot hatch of the decade.
I agree and it is good to have such dreams, wish they do fulfill.

But there are two points I feel,

1) Plonking the 1.5L i-DTEC in the Brio could make it a nose-heavy car. I am not sure but it is just a thought. Fun to drive nature should come if they give it an upgraded suspension and wider tyres.

2) That car lacks some kind of zing / kick that an enthusiast search or even an average buyer looks at. Honda needs to repair this feel in the Brio for it to sell well first after which we can expect some performance oriented launches, till then 'Kitna Deti hai?!".

It is brilliant car but not sure why it doesn't appeal to the masses. It even has an AT unit that most manufacturers skip.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 06:49   #367
Senior - BHPian

@Nakul0888; While I may support your view about serious cars from Honda unfortunately that does not get the $$$s in. Marketplace is king. Remember Amaze, Mobilio and City are selling well.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:56   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
What they need to do is plonk the 1.5 ivtec in the brio....
Brio could be launched more so like you outline, but with modifications to the 1.5-litre i-DTEC diesel engine.

Quote:
Honda will be a downsized version of the popular 1.5-litre i-DTEC diesel unit. To downsize the 1.5-litre i-DTEC, the company will reduce one cylinder though the overall construction might remain similar. Since the 1.5-litre i-DTEC is already one of the most fuel-efficient engine in India, a smaller engine based on that will return an even better mileage
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/new-gen-ho...engines-727559

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th January 2015 at 14:10.
Old 16th January 2015, 14:05   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Brio could be launched more so like you outline, but with modifications to the 1.5-litre i-DTEC diesel engine.
Already the NVH levels of the 4 cylinder diesel is one of the biggest weaknesses of the Amaze. Now they want to make it a 3 cylinder?

His wish was for a 1.5 petrol iVTec that would be serious fun. How would a 1.2L 3 cylinder diesel fill that role?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th January 2015 at 14:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:11   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

The Brio Diesel could very well turn out to be a 1.5L i-DTEC unit, scheduled to hit showrooms in the baby Honda's all-new avatar next year.

*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017-untitled.jpg

Quote:
Earlier this month, Honda India re-imported the Brio after testing it with a 1.5-litre engine likely to be a diesel. With the engine already plonked under the hood of the Amaze, it will be a snug fit in the Brio’s bay as well. Producing 100 PS on the Amaze, Honda might detune the motor when plonked into the Brio offering decent power and class leading fuel efficiency. There is also a possibility of Honda continuing the engine in its existing configuration making it a hot hatch competing against the Hyundai Grand i10, Ford Figo and Maruti Celerio.

SOURCE - Zauba (via Motorbeam)
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 14:25   #371
Senior - BHPian

@RavenAli; They are already using a Fixed Gate Turbo, so unless they go smaller there may not be much headroom for a lower spec. What I will like to see is Honda introduce a VGT and maybe jack up the very conservative Rev limit. May be more appropriate to the City though.
Old 20th January 2015, 16:29   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Brio Diesel could very well turn out to be a 1.5L i-DTEC unit, scheduled to hit showrooms in the baby Honda's all-new avatar next year.

SOURCE - Zauba (via Motorbeam)
Not happening, by a long shot. In the past too, Honda has imported and sent back Brio Diesels. The 1.5 i-DTEC meant for the Amaze was tested in the Brio and the forum even has videos depicting the same.

For now, the strategy for the Brio is wait until the new model to bring in major upgrades. Also, a diesel, if ever launched in the Brio, will be a downsized version of the 1.5 i-DTEC. Also, diesel price deregulation has changed the equation dramatically.

Coming to the 1.6 and 2.2 i-DTEC motors Honda uses globally, they're not India bound anytime soon. My recent interaction with Honda's top brass revealed that the Accord Diesel and CR-V diesel are not happening anytime soon. Honda is happy with the 1,000 odd CKD units that the CR-V is doing.

The new Accord is coming for sure, but only with a petrol motor. The CR-V facelift, which recently got the 9 speeder auto and 1.6 i-DTEC combo isn't meant for India. Even the regular Euro-spec facelift is not India bound in 2015. This year will the year of the Jazz. The Brio and Amaze are just done with their update cycles, and the City and Mobilio are too new for major changes.

About the Civic's re-entry, my question was left unanswered. Hence, no clue about what's cooking although my money is on the premise there's no point re-entering a segment that'll soon be outdone by SUVs from multiple brands.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 10:20   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-gen 2017 Honda Brio to lose out on the rear styling and glass hatch and to come with a conventional tailgate instead, reports ACI.

They also say that Honda might remove the "Brio" name and come up with an all-new name for the baby Honda.

Quote:
Honda has started work on the replacement for its current Brio hatchback.

It is likely to lose out on the quirky rear styling and glass hatch seen on the current car, and will get a conventional tailgate instead. This means, the new Brio will be based on the outgoing car’s underpinnings but will get an all-new bodyshell and interiors.

Honda will most likely add a diesel engine as well, which could be a 1.1-litre, three-cylinder version of the current i-DTEC family.

Our sources also tell us that Honda may do away with the 'Brio' badge and give the car a brand new name.
ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 10:30   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Next-gen 2017 Honda Brio to lose out on the rear styling and glass hatch and to come with a conventional tailgate instead, reports ACI.

They also say that Honda might remove the "Brio" name and come up with an all-new name for the baby Honda.
All these are very good news indeed. Many of the customers find the rear styling ugly, and the enormous glass on the rear only increases the heat inside the cabin. One of the reason the Brio did not sell as much as Amaze is its quirky rear styling.
And it is also good for Honda, to move away from "Brio" name. This anyway did not bring them any success. So the name would have the negative image and when launched with the same name it is highly likely that the new car will see meek response, unless the styling is striking.
Good for Honda!
Old 20th August 2015, 21:11   #375
BHPian

What was wrong with the CRZ like back? I think it looked really different and great. Those tuner like clear tail lamps ruined it for me.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks