Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 13:49   #211
JRD
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

"bus kya diesel hai!" was the best part about the video . I hope when or if Honda decide to bring a diesel jazz, they would refine the engine or atleast bring a different state of tune.
Old 20th June 2012, 14:28   #212
BHPian

A HONDA DIESEL, is really mouth watering. I don't want to sound pessimistic here, but Honda Brio Diesel may not be value for money. When Honda could have priced the JAZZ and the CIVIC competitively, it messed up. Even the Brio V (MT) is being sold at 6,38,000/- on road price Bangalore. A conservative 60k addition to this price will bring the BRIO diesel to about 7 Lakhs. We really need to find that one right dude who can beat some sense into Honda to price their cars just right. What say?
Old 20th June 2012, 15:05   #213
Senior - BHPian

For all those who are worried about the engine sounding unrefined, I guess there is a very high chance (as has already been stated in this thread)that, this might just be a test of the engine and Honda has nt done anything to keep the NVH levels under check. The production version when it rolls out would in my opinion be much better. Of course there is a high possibility that this is a 3 pot derivation of their own 1.6 litre engine, so some unrefinement may be there.

Regarding Jazz and City, I feel if at all they launch diesels, they may be the 1.6 litre ones in different state of tunes wrt to each other.

But wait, where does that put the rumoured sedan based on brio as has been speculated in this thread before?

Last edited by vibbs : 20th June 2012 at 15:30. Reason: edited typos
Old 20th June 2012, 15:14   #214
Senior - BHPian

100% Diesel .

The clatter is unmistakably there, even though the exhaust overrides it, but when the driver accelerated it was much too obvious.

Super catch, and also you did the right thing by pointing it towards the bonnet so as some engine clatter gets captured. Thanks a ton. Looks like i should wait for my Diesel purchase for sometime.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 20th June 2012 at 15:16.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:07   #215
Senior - BHPian

I somehow think Honda should've put the diesel engine in Jazz/City rather than Brio. I have a feeling that Brio is good as a 2nd car in the family, but is not really suited to being the only car in the family. The Beat diesel might feel the heat when Brio diesel is launched, but I cannot really see Brio diesel making a big dent in the sales of too many other cars.

However, the last time I've been right about the prospects of a new car in the Indian market has been - never!
Old 20th June 2012, 16:46   #216
BHPian

Price-wise,the current Brio or diesel Brio don't make sense at all for the price sensitive buyer. But, quite a lot of them will be tempted to spend an additional lakh or more for the coveted H logo.

I would love to see the diesel engine on Jazz and City as well. The leader will lead for another 13 years (City was the best sellign diesel for 13 years).
Old 20th June 2012, 18:09   #217
BHPian

Brio Diesel caught at Worli (HD)
Watch it at 720P or should i say hear it!
Mirage is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 18:12   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Maybe I am being cynical, but maybe Honda's marketing department actually wanted the test mule to be scooped. Free publicity from enthusiasts - I am sure they know that non-petrolhead janta will come to us for car news, advice, opinions, etc.

When I think of a diesel Honda Brio, I am thinking "death knell for Ford Figo".

Also, the high degree of clatter could mean that Honda has taken their new 1.6 diesel mill, chopped off one cylinder and bored it out to make it a 3-pot 1.3?
I think you meant 1.2 as chopping 1 cylinder from 4 cylinder 1.6 would be 1.2
As far a i know Honda has only 1 diesel which is 1.6 unveiled last year. In hurry to step into diesel segment in India that would be a logical solution to first save on lower taxes being<1.5L and also lesser engineering cost than developing an all new engine smaller diesel engine
I wonder if this would really mean a hit on sale of any competition diesels as this engine could be an acceptance issue
Old 20th June 2012, 18:24   #219
BHPian

Thanks for an awesome catch GTO Can't wait for the launch! Beat and Ritz will definitely face tough competition when this is launched. And if it doesn't have a long waiting period, who knows people (eyeing the swift diesel) may turn towards this too.

What will make my mouth water will be a Diesel JAZZ! I have a very high lust for the vehicle especially in its blue color and if they do launch a diesel, well...! Who knows
Old 20th June 2012, 18:47   #220
BHPian

great scoop GTO!! Hope they follow up with a Jazz diesel soon. I find Brio to be a bit cramped for a family car. When the time comes for Jazz Diesel, I'll have my cheque-book ready!
Old 20th June 2012, 18:54   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Good Scoop. Now this is going to bring in fight to the Maruti Swifts and Ritzs. Till now there was no real pressure on Maruti, but a Honda diesel will set the cat amongst the pigeons.
Perfectly said, The Honda's are unbeatable when it comes to Quality & Fit-n-finish.

I am sure, once the production version starts, the Brio Diesel will be much more refined. And we can expect the same engine to do the honours on the Jazz and maybe the City Diesel too, these 3 Diesel Variants can shake up the market quite badly
Old 20th June 2012, 20:02   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Good catch, GTO & KP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If Honda were testing a regular plate Brio with full badges et al, I wouldn't even have noticed. The fact that they tried too hard to hide gave them away.
Dont know what's with car companies. There are ways to camouflage a car, and with a little bit of effort, they can keep most eyes away - except the keen auto-enthusiast
Old 20th June 2012, 20:22   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
Brio Diesel caught at Worli (HD)
Watch it at 720P or should i say hear it!
Test car also seem to have met with minor accident
Old 20th June 2012, 20:46   #224
Senior - BHPian

This is a great scoop for sure. There was also this scoop on the Honda CRV diesel variant being launched about four years ago but we saw little progress there. Check the link below for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-spy-pics.html

Hope the same doesnt happen to the diesel Brio.
Old 20th June 2012, 20:52   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Good Scoop. Now this is going to bring in fight to the Maruti Swifts and Ritzs. Till now there was no real pressure on Maruti, but a Honda diesel will set the cat amongst the pigeons.
The same was said when there was news of Etios/Liva launch from Toyota. IMO Maruti is being given way less credit than due. I think it's more than likely that the other players in the market get affected by the Brio diesel, leaving Maruti cars with more or less the same market share as before.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks