Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 01:35   #316
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Could this be an engine from Peugeot or other compact diesel makers?
Peugeot is using Ford Figo/Fiesta based TDCi technology under different badging.
Even 1.4 TDCi(used in Ford Figo/Ikon TDCi/Classic) & 1.6 TDCi(used in New Fiesta abroad)are co-developed with Peugeot Citroen motors of France.

I guess, in India we're having most of the popularly used or can be used Diesel engines in most of Diesel cars here & can be listed as;
-FIAT 1.3 Multijet 75PS & 90PS(in FIAT, Maruti Suzuki, TATA & Premier cars).
-FIAT-GM based 936cc, 58PS iteration(in Chevrolet Beat Diesel)
-Renault-Nissan 1.5 K9K(in every locally assembled Renault & Nissan cars).
-Ford 1.4/1.5/1.6 TDCi engine(probably Peugeot will share it in near future in india).
-Toyota 1.4 D-4D series(68 & 88PS in ETIOS & Corolla sedan).

I guess, any engine coming in India in Honda hatchback have to face the great challenge from them in terms of;
-Cost effective local assembling of these engines(except Toyota 1.4 D-4D, as it's also going to be locally manufactured soon).
-High volumes of these engine, lending easier availability of their spare parts.

So, it has to be either Honda's own Diesel engine or anyone out of the listed above. Else sharing engine with Hyundai(i10 based 1.1, 3cyl CRDi) seems to be the impossible option for Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
By the way, when did Maruti sign up for the 1.6 MJD? Is it for the SX4?
Suzuki is already using FIAT 1.6 MjD engine in various market for SX4 hatch & sedan but Maruti Suzuki(Suzuki's indian subsidiary) haven't got the rights for it yet for its application in India.
Even this pact is also renewed beginning this year or end last year.

Even few weeks back SUZUKI signed a deal in which they're going to use FIAT based 1.9 Multijet under New facelifted 2012 GRAND VITARA's hood.
& there's high possibility that Maruti Suzuki might gets the same 1.9 Multijet powered Grand Vitara here in India very soon.

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 15th September 2012 at 01:41. Reason: Text addition
Old 21st September 2012, 20:56   #317
BHPian

Honda to launch first diesel car by March 2014 only
http://www.financialexpress.com/news...ors_picks=true

Can anybody confirm the authenticity of this report?

Interestingly the report says about a new sedan being developed, the first to get a diesel engine.
Old 21st September 2012, 23:22   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp
Honda to launch first diesel car by March 2014 only
http://www.financialexpress.com/news...ors_picks=true

Can anybody confirm the authenticity of this report?

Interestingly the report says about a new sedan being developed, the first to get a diesel engine.

Damn, that is shocking indeed. Maybe Honda being Honda did not want to bring a half-baked product and along its been using the Brio as purely an engine test mule. But still can't understand why 2014. Maybe its the time they require to develop a sedan and MUV based on the fit/brio platform.

@vivek: coming from Honda's CEO himself, its got to be authentic.

Only GoI can rescue Honda now!!

Edit:
However, here is another muddled and misleading version of the story from ToI.

http://m.timesofindia.com/business/i...w/16493722.cms

Cheers,
D

Last edited by delta5 : 21st September 2012 at 23:40.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 23:38   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5

Damn, that is shocking indeed. Maybe Honda being Honda did not want to bring a half-baked product and along its been using the Brio as purely an engine test mule. But still can't understand why 2014. Maybe its the time they require to develop a sedan and MUV based on the fit/brio platform.

@vivek: coming from Honda's CEO himself, its got to be authentic.

Only GoI can rescue Honda now!!
Brio on subsidiaries, maybe?

I was actually looking forward to this. But by the time it comes, who knows if diesel might still be the cheaper to run or not.
Old 22nd September 2012, 00:04   #320
BHPian

I am not able to understand the tactics employed by Honda.
First they test the diesel engine on a Brio and then the announcement about CNG based engines. All of a sudden they announce a diesel engine for a sedan and that too only by March 2014.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:21   #321
BHPian

Ok, I hadn't seen the newspaper report, but I was at a dealership to book my Honda City and the GM Mentioned the same news. Apparently, this was announced by the Honda CEO at a dealer meet in Thailand a few days back. The GM said the same things: diesel from Honda in 2014, and a Brio-based sedan to compete in the Etios range. Apparently, the sedan work is progressing fast and they were shown some pics of the prototype too ( which looks good, he claimed).
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:38   #322
BHPian

I just took my ONHC for service yesterday, even I heard the same! No new diesel Honda till 2014. The new CR-V and Accord too won't get the diesel hearts as they think that the sales figure doesn't make any point launching diesel variants. I was like what the heck! Someone please take the Honda guys to a petrol pump and show them the fuel prices. Really, what is Honda trying to do! The administration has gone nuts.
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:29   #323
BHPian

http://www.thehindu.com/business/com...cle3923200.ece

Some highlights:

1. All new Fit series will be launched by 2013-14.
2. Sedan and UV will be launched based on Brio platform.
3. The sedan will be entry level and will be positioned below City. This will be a diesel.
4. Beyond this, all new cars and full model ranges will be available in diesel also.
5. Still almost 2 years to wait for a diesel Honda
PranavDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:54   #324
Senior - BHPian

Honda is scared from the Indian diesel like anything ... & for nothing .

If the diesel Honda is due in India for 2014, what are they testing in the Brio? & what is the Earth Dreams diesel, which they will show in Paris Motorshow in few days. If they had simplest of business sense they could have launched the Brio & Jazz with Fiat sourced MJD & there won't be any need to launch the CNG Hondas, except for City/Civics for the time being. But, it appears that they are happy sacrificing the market share, for royalty to be paid on MJD. I hope they are not reduced to something like Fiat just for their stubborn attitude.
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:01   #325
Team-BHP Support

When i met the Honda officials as part of the Drive to Discover event with the Honda Brio, they mentioned the same news then - ie no immediate diesel from Honda.
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:07   #326
Senior - BHPian

Why is Honda even testing the diesel Brio now, if the launch is not going to happen for the next 2 years at least?
They must already have a small engine, else we wouldn't have seen so many diesel Brios being tested in & around Delhi/NCR. I wonder why they are intentionally delaying this so much, especially when Honda wouldn't have a dearth of talented engineers to give them a great small diesel engine.
Old 27th September 2012, 16:08   #327
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honda Brio Diesel will arrive in September 2013. They were pushing for a March launch; however, vendors weren't able to supply parts in this timeframe. September 2013 it is then.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 18:37   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda Brio Diesel will arrive in September 2013. They were pushing for a March launch; however, vendors weren't able to supply parts in this timeframe. September 2013 it is then.
Thanks for confirming. Expect a 1.2L D mill powering this baby Honda.

They have pushed the City diesel launch to early 2014, depending on the "All OK" in their tests. So officially, City diesel will be the 2nd diesel offering from Honda. It will carry the 1.5L D engine (not the 1.6L D as was reported earlier to me).

It will be followed very shortly by the Brio sedan diesel. The worrying thing here is, I am not hearing anything about the Jazz diesel. Either Honda is tight-lipped on the matter, or it's not on the cards.

The MPV is definitely a go-ahead as well. I hope they don't replace the Jazz with the MPV.
Old 27th September 2012, 20:23   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

It will be followed very shortly by the Brio sedan diesel. The worrying thing here is, I am not hearing anything about the Jazz diesel. Either Honda is tight-lipped on the matter, or it's not on the cards.

The MPV is definitely a go-ahead as well. I hope they don't replace the Jazz with the MPV.
I think they will replace the Jazz with the MPV. Considering the fact that a Brio based sedan is on the cards, they won't have any window of pricing to keep both the jazz and the MPV in their portfolio. Anyways they don't seem too happy selling the jazz at this price. An MPV based on Jazz at a slightly higher price point may seem a better bet.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:47   #330
BANNED

Hormazd reports that the 1.5 Diesel may be delayed since Honda wants a high level of localisation. Could be late 2013 or early 2014.

Brio Saloon with a longer wheelbase to be launched in Thailand next month.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks