Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 00:21   #91
BHPian

re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Not much interested in Brio but Jazz diesel (competent engine it should like crdi or mjd) , if ever comes will be a supreme package !

Btw what if govt deregulates diesel prices by 2013-14 ?
Old 26th May 2012, 00:40   #92
BHPian

Now that is a Scoop! A small diesel Honda hatch sounds like winner. Smooth, refined, fuel efficient, and..expensive..oops! I hope they price it sensibly though and offer some features (especially safety) at least as an option, and it is sure to leave competition in the rear view. Honda hasn't really been able to capitalize on the brand image it enjoys in our country in the last few years which is a little disappointing and a little more surprising to a lot of us. Hope this changes things. Cheering already.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:16   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I guess Honda finally understood that if they stick to the "Indian diesel ain't good enough for us" story, they would be history.

It might be a bit of a stretch for the Civic, but most of the diesel-car buyers anyway do not buy diesel for driving pleasure.
Yeah, Honda is paying the price for not having a diesel mill in its entire lineup, was a matter of time beforebetter sense prevailed.

Btw, I bought the swift diesel for the sheer driving pleasure.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:37   #94
BHPian

Audible Clatter at Road Speeds hints more towards 3-cylinder Diesel engine than 4-cylinder better balanced one.
I'm expecting this car to feature 1.2 Common-rail Diesel engine or might be there can be outsourcing of 1.0l TCDi engine from GM-India too.

Who knows !! After all everything is fair in love & war.

IMHO Honda is going pretty much right on the time frame they specified for Brio Diesel at the time of Brio Petrol launch.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:42   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Audible Clatter at Road Speeds hints more towards 3-cylinder Diesel engine than 4-cylinder better balanced one.
Have you heard a Vento diesel/Rapid diesel drive by or idle?

I'd say that the 4-pot 1.6 diesels in those cars are just as loud, if not louder than the 1.2 3-pot mills that power the lesser Polo and Fabia variants.

Audible clatter need not necessarily point to the engine being a 3-cylinder one. It could also be due to the lack of adequate noise-insulation and sound deadening.

Diesels generally clatter a lot more than petrols. So when you hear a diesel engine idling, you will know it's a diesel. Unless of course you're sitting inside a luxo-barge.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th May 2012 at 01:43.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'd say that the 4-pot 1.6 diesels in those cars are just as loud, if not louder than the 1.2 3-pot mills that power the lesser Polo and Fabia variants.
Usually, I've seen the following pattern for Diesel engines NVH characteristics.

Usually, Clatter for 3-cylinder Diesel engines Increases as the Rpm builds up, while the Reverse/vice-versa happens in 4-cylinder Diesels.
OR
3-cylinder Diesel engine becomes more Clattery(e.g Accent CRDi, Polo TDi, Fabia TDi, beat TCDi) when Revved hard while 4-cylinder engines gets smooth as Revs build, like Verna 1.6 CRDi, etc).

So, I came to the above conclusion.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 02:14   #97
Team-BHP Support

^^ What about when the car is not given gas? I mean, when you come off the accelerator pedal, a la, coasting? That's when clatter is most audible. Diesel engines, whether 3 or 4 cylinders, are generally loud. The 3-pot types are loud when driven hard or even at idle. However, 4-pot diesels clatter too, but not as loud when the revs are being built. That said, here is still a distinct clatter.

I don't think it's easy trying to distinguish a 3-pot diesel or a 4-pot diesel just by the sound. The clatter is prominent either-way.

But in the case of petrol, it will be easy to distinguish the sounds as 4-pot petrol engines are far more refined than 3-pot mills. And it's apparent in the sounds, when compared.
Old 26th May 2012, 02:25   #98
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep a test car may not have the full insulation and sound proofing both inside and for the outside world. It will not be easy to make out a 3 vs 4 Cylider engine in case of diesel. Though it will be possible even in case of refined engines to spot a diesel from a petrol from the outside of a car for sure though it is not that easy to figure out on the inside in higher end cars.

Honda needs this for india and can place the same engine in the brio and jazz and possibly even the city.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 11:12   #99
BHPian

The petrol Brio has a pretty tight engine bay to accommodate the 4 cyl. 1.2L i-VTEC engine. To fit a 4 cyl diesel engine in the same engine bay with the turbo/intercooler seems improbable. All indications point towards a 3 cyl. motor in the diesel Brio.

Having said that, Honda is known to package their cars well and the cab forward design generates a whole lot of cabin space. They might design some ingenious way to fit in a 4 cyl. diesel motor in the Brio's engine bay.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 26th May 2012 at 11:14.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Can't comment on that.
It didn't seem like the driver was testing something specifically.
Actually, I meant how was it handling the curves... like the Swift/Figo/Punto or Like Santro/ Wagon R or somewhere between these cars.

Moreover, did it had sufficient power for the steep inclines or smoking hard & black its way through such patches.

Thank you for your patience.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
I also heard that in 2010 for the first time diesels outsold petrols in Europe. This is a market (except France) where diesel and petrol prices are about the same!
That makes sense given that modern diesels are on the whole more fuel-efficient. So cost/km would still be less.

I'm surprised it took until 2010, though.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 11:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

Today's newspaper (VijayaKarnataka) mentions about the diesel mill too. However, I think it said 2013-14.
How nice if it happens for Deepavali
Old 26th May 2012, 11:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But in the case of petrol, it will be easy to distinguish the sounds as 4-pot petrol engines are far more refined than 3-pot mills. And it's apparent in the sounds, when compared.
Not sure if you can generalize. When I shifted from Matiz (3 cylinder) to 2nd generation Honda city, I was expecting it to be way ahead in refinement but found out that there want too much difference in terms of noise and vibration levels. In fact Matiz was smoother/quieter at idle! Both engines would become boomy at higher revs. But it could be different with many other 3 potters around (when I drove A-Star automatic, the vibration/imbalance was apparent).
Old 26th May 2012, 16:30   #104
BHPian

Good news for the Diesel Lovers! This topic is making so much news that i am seeing so many Team Bhp moderators commenting on the same thread for the first time (ok fine, the first thread i have seen at least)

Knowing Honda, they will only release it after it is throughly tested to keep thier reputation intact. So i expect a early 2013 launch at the best.

Last edited by urajkumar : 26th May 2012 at 16:31.
Old 26th May 2012, 22:55   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Usually, I've seen the following pattern for Diesel engines NVH characteristics.

Usually, Clatter for 3-cylinder Diesel engines Increases as the Rpm builds up, while the Reverse/vice-versa happens in 4-cylinder Diesels.
OR
3-cylinder Diesel engine becomes more Clattery(e.g Accent CRDi, Polo TDi, Fabia TDi, beat TCDi) when Revved hard while 4-cylinder engines gets smooth as Revs build, like Verna 1.6 CRDi, etc).

So, I came to the above conclusion.
I had owned an Accent CRDi for 5.5 yrs and I can vouch for the fact that the engine gets smoother as the revs build up. It is more noisy at lower rpms but as the revs build up, the sound would be more like a muscle car rather than a clatter. However, the engine would be turbine smooth even when the noise was high. I have seen a lot of people throw comments about how agricultural the accent CRDi engine was. For me it was smooth..so much so that I feel the engines of Vento, Rapid and Innova ( which I own now) are more noisy and crude...

I feel that the noise is dependent on more factors than just the number of cylinders. State of tune, no of pilot injections etc will also affect the NVH characteristics.

This is my 2 cents after owning a 3 cylinder, 1.5 liter, early generation crdi engined car which was supposed to be crude and noisy but proved to be otherwise and gave me a lot of smiles over the last few years..gawd I miss that car..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks