Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:06   #121
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD

Completely agree but due to this the last row's seats have become seriously cramped and the price with which the Quanto has been launched doesn't really justify it. I mean overall the package is not at all appealing. Weak performance, according to reviews comfort level low. Quality is just okayish so why will the person buy it! Instead there are so many good hatches available at this price point like Punto and i20!
The Quanto is an effort by Mahindra to get into the sub-4m mark by any means i.e. it is the Indigo CS of the UV space. Unlike the Indigo CS, it looks very awkward and also has some weaknesses (obesity, rear & last row comfort/space, poor interior quality, ride, handling & turning radius). But it also has a few strengths (diesel engine, GC, suitability for bad roads) and it should sell in moderate numbers, earning a decent profit as Mahindra did not invest too much money into it.

But yes, this is not going to hurt sales of the superminis/premium hatches by any means. Supermini buyers are very demanding, they look for sophisticated cars with excellent specifications, fuel efficiency, ease of use, features and value for money. They want the latest, world class products that can be sold to Western European customers and will not tolerate cost cutting or made-for-the-third-world products, even if they are sold by top manufacturers. That's why the Hyundai i20 is such a roaring success while the Toyota Etios Liva is finding the going so tough in this segment.

Can Mahindra even dream of selling the Quanto in Western Europe? The answer is a big NO! If an automobile magazine/tester even attempts a 'Scandinavian elk test' in the Quanto, it would ruin the reputation of the company for several years. Mahindra would not do such a thing, especially when they have some competent products lined up for Western Europe in the form of the Reva/G-Wiz NXR & NXG.

So the superminis and even the modern, compact, monocoque MPVs/SUVs such as the Ertiga, upcoming Evalia, Duster & upcoming EcoSport simply need not worry about competition from an odd-looking, shortened UV built on a pick-up truck (Genio) chassis.

Last edited by RSR : 22nd September 2012 at 10:14.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:47   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
But yes, this is not going to hurt sales of the superminis/premium hatches by any means. Supermini buyers are very demanding, they look for sophisticated cars with excellent specifications, fuel efficiency, ease of use, features and value for money.
Exactly. And the main sufferers will be its own stable mates - bolero and xylo.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:24   #123
BHPian

I just wanted to confirm if the RTO registration will mention seating capacity as 6+1?

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2012 at 11:47.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:24   #124
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand why some people are complaining about 2 jump seats at the rear.
Didn't MnM know this before launch or they deliberately made them uncomfortable, I don't think so.
I guess there are plenty of other options to look at if someone is very keen for comfort in 3rd row. BTW how many of us drive the car with even the 2nd row occupied. Remember Ertiga, Duster and Quanto have mentioned at many places that it is for "occasional" use like airport runs, etc. Even many BHPians who has shown interest have mentioned that they would prefer such vehicle for "occasional" use of 3rd row. To add more, the jump seats are reasonable for teenagers, so even if two teenagers are accomodated on them, it will generate quite a space for middle or front passengers, isn't it.
I tried accomodating extra passengers in Fusion and Omni boots, I wish that had there been jump seats, it would have been comfortable. So we atleast now have an option.
If someone is looking for comfortable 3rd row seats and buys Quanto, IMHO he should be blamed completely rather than MnM.
As I mentioned earlier, MnM should have made this car good looking as its downright ugly.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:28   #125
jp1
BHPian

I think MnM is seriously trying to get rid of Bolero because any more improvements on Bolero may be technically impossible (note there is no ABS on Bolero) and that is what they tried with Xylo with sweet pricing and increased Bolero prices. It did not work out, and Bolero sales were only increasing without even doing anything meaningful on Bolero and Xylo sales crashed to around 2k+. Now they are repeating it with Quanto and it may work. I am planning to ditch my Bolero and switch to Quanto after a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Exactly. And the main sufferers will be its own
stable mates - bolero and xylo.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:54   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I think MnM is seriously trying to get rid of Bolero because any more improvements on Bolero may be technically impossible (note there is no ABS on Bolero) and that is what they tried with Xylo with sweet pricing and increased Bolero prices. It did not work out, and Bolero sales were only increasing without even doing anything meaningful on Bolero and Xylo sales crashed to around 2k+. Now they are repeating it with Quanto and it may work. I am planning to ditch my Bolero and switch to Quanto after a test drive.
Bolero is their cash cow, it sells close to 10 k per month, why would they want to kill it. They will continue with it and may be bring in more refinement and features in it.
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:02   #127
Senior - BHPian

I saw a Quanto (coincidentally parked next to Xylo in same shade), & at first glance, it was difficult to identify any difference between the two, except the rear mounted spare. Mahindra, IMO, could have done a better job by reducing the height & making it wider, to make it more appealing & stable (almost all reviewers are criticizing the handling & stability of the car). I bet it would be more dangerous in the 4X4 avtar, when in offroad conditions.

Mahindra's latest position is like - "Jab Khuda meharbaan toh ..... pehalwan".

to all Mahindra fans, but, for this product Mahindra deserve this.
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:01   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun

Not intentionally, I think. The body parts (the portion behind C-pillar) which cut for shortening the car don't weight too much, IMO. Please note that Swift and DZire weighs almost the same!

I wonder how good looking the Quanto would have been, if the height is reduced like this!
I agree, they really should have reduced the height of the car and then it might just have been a decent looking car. But then Mahindra isn't really known for its design sense.
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:30   #129
BHPian

M&M surely knows the pulse of the customers in India. Folks caring about ride quality, and bounciness form a very little part of their customer base. This will definitely sell well in tier2 and rural areas. For urbanites, they have Scorpio and xuv. Though I personally never appreciated Scorpio due to its bouncy ride and inferior interiors, but who cares.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:55   #130
BHPian

This is the car I had been waiting for the past couple of years until the Ertiga came along. My family wanted the Ertiga, and since I was fed up with diesels, having driven Mahindras from the day I learnt to drive, Ertiga seemed to be a decent choice. My requirements were - the occasional weekend drive with my extended family, car that handles well, spaciousness etc. So we bought the Ertiga ZXI and I think we made right decision.
Honestly, I haven't seen a Quanto yet, but some of the things I have read put it down. We wanted a car with plenty of room, so we use the Ertiga as a spacious 5 seater. The Quanto's fixed middle row and its fixed back wouldn't have made my kids very happy. And its tall looks seem to give the impression that it won't handle as well as the Erty. Anyway, I'm waiting for comparisions, and maybe, will do one whenever I get the chance to drive a Quanto!
However, I think Quanto would end up being compared with the Bolero.
Old 22nd September 2012, 15:29   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
M&M surely knows the pulse of the customers in India. Folks caring about ride quality, and bounciness form a very little part of their customer base. This will definitely sell well in tier2 and rural areas. For urbanites, they have Scorpio and xuv. Though I personally never appreciated Scorpio due to its bouncy ride and inferior interiors, but who cares.
Rightly said Harish, M&M must be counting on the VFM factor for the success of the Quanto.

The new offering from M&M could not attract me personally. The tall stance of the vehicle with smaller R15 tyres and increased suspension did not meet my expectations. M&M could easily have lowered the height of the vehicle to give it a proportionate look and better stability. The second row of seat is so upright it looked more like a bench than a comfortable sofa.

The auto mags are already crying foul about the massive body-roll and the bouncy ride of the Quanto, but how many people do really care about these things. The pricing of the Quanto makes it very interesting and there should be enough people ready to lap it up.
Old 22nd September 2012, 15:57   #132
BHPian

I think guys the car is slightly over-overpriced. The base model on-road would be around 6.5 lakhs and at that price according to what I am observing in the Indian Car Market that people will either get a spacious hatch or would go ahead and buy the Ertiga or an entry level sedan. The quanto with no doubt is going to appeal to a lot of fleet operators.
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:22   #133
BANNED

Finally! A nice one M&M!

The car from front it looks like a downsized Xylo and front three quaters looks like a Xylo boot (Third row area) slashed off abruptly to get the car in the sub-4m range. Love the way they have placed the rear axle at the corner as the is no overhand at the rear and while looking at it from the side it feels like something at the rear is lacking. Good M&M for getting in more of cabin space.

Killer Pricing startegy by them as they will see people jumping from the sedan segment to this Quanto.
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:24   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I fail to understand why some people are complaining about 2 jump seats at the rear.
Didn't MnM know this before launch or they deliberately made them uncomfortable, I don't think so.
The question is if MnM advertises this as a 7-seater then it should be a 7-seater no strings attached. I mean what if tomorrow they fix one stool in back and advertise as 8 seater with caveat that the stool can be used for your cat or dog. And so if they are deliberately doing this this then somebody has to put a check on it. Now in India we do not have mechanism to check the safety of the vehicles (other than when involved in live accident) and force safety regulations for ALL passengers that may sit in car these cheap gimmicks will be coming out in plenty.
Now the question whether 2 row is used or not is the choice of the consumer. The consumer assumes he may have to ferry more people one day so he buys a four wheeler rather than a 2-wheeler. But that should not stop the car comapanies to provide much needed comfort on the back rows.
vikrantj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:47   #135
BHPian

Quanto test drive

Hi Folks,

Test drove Quanto C8 (top-end) yesterday at Sireesh Yelahanka. Happened to be the first TD from that showroom

Let me try a quick brief on what I felt.. not as techie as most of you folks. So pls forgive lack of details.

Positive aspects:

- Good responsive engine
- Didnt feel any turbo lag
- Feels spacious - though not like in a xylo in front and middle row
- Good suspension - comfortable ride over some not so good sections of the road
- Music system supposedly Nippon which sounded ok
- Tilt steering
- Drive seat height adjust

Negative aspects:

- Power kindof "flattens" after certain rpm.. maybe cant expect more from a 1.5L
- Overall interior quality esp plastics
- Sound of the door closing was more of clunk..
- Mid row seats absolutely not foldable
- So boot space nothing to mention about
- No A/C blower for middle row
- Size of tyres didnt feel proportionate

Cost on road Bangalore:

c6 - 8.6L (approx)
c8 - 9.22L

Not sure abt c2 and c4

Thanks,
Nagesh
Nagesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread