Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:37   #361
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Are you sure the max capability of 1.8l engine is 250nm of torque?
The max capability of the DQ200 gearbox is 250Nm not that of the engine. That is why the 7 speed gearbox is not available on any of the diesel engines. It is only used for 1.8TSi engine and lower.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:53   #362
BHPian

Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The max capability of the DQ200 gearbox is 250Nm not that of the engine. That is why the 7 speed gearbox is not available on any of the diesel engines. It is only used for 1.8TSi engine and lower.
But peter says superb 1.8 gearbox can handle up to max of 300nm of torque?
Dont know if superb has DQ200 or something else.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:04   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
But peter says superb 1.8 gearbox can handle up to max of 300nm of torque?
Dont know if superb has DQ200 or something else.
Yes, the superb does have the very same DQ200 7 speed but 300Nm is incorrect. This is from Wiki:

Quote:
This clutch pack was designed by LuK Clutch Systems, LLC. This seven-speed DSG is used in smaller front-wheel-drive cars with smaller displacement engines with lower torque outputs, such as the latest Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Polo Mk5, and the new SEAT Ibiza, due to it having a maximum torque handling capacity of 250 N·m (180 lb·ft).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

This is from VW:

Quote:
The new 7-speed DSG makes the revolutionary transmission technology available for smaller engines too, engines that develop up to 250 Newton-meter torque. The 7-speed DSG will be initially introduced on the Golf, Golf Variant and Golf Plus – paired with the latest TSI (90 kW / 122 PS) and the bestselling TDI (77 kW / 105 PS) of the model series.
http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/...speed_dsg.html

250Nm is the max allowed torque. One may argue that there is some tolerance and actual design maybe able to handle more but the risk is upto the individual. The DSG costs upwards of 1lakh to replace.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:18   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The DSG costs upwards of 1lakh to replace.
VW should offer an extended warranty in this case to alleviate any concerns from the customers.
thiagust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 16:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

Someone from VW showroom told me today it will cost around 9 to 9.5L !!
Unknownsatan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:51   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Someone from VW showroom told me today it will cost around 9 to 9.5L !!

9 - 9.5 is expensive and not fully justified to what is being provided, considering the DSG 7speed gearbox stories. Question is it wise to choose the saloons - vento or skoda rapid automatic then by investing bit more..

Also just heard just now that Skoda is giving the Rapid limited edition called prestige now.. with features like satellite navigation, parking sensors and some cosmetic changes, 1.6 diesel, at 9 lacs ex-showroom, but not sure if only manual or both manual and automatic.. please update if anyone knows on this
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:14   #367
BHPian

When I went to enquire about Polo for my friend, they said TSI launch is around 25th, and the Test Drive cars could be in as early as tomorrow!

The OTR price in Bangalore is close to 10L :-) - Comes with 1.2 TSI and 7 Gear DSG.
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:40   #368
BHPian

Hi,
I have been to VW Palace Cross (Bengaluru) for booking a VW Vento. As I was entering the Showroom a RED Polo with TSI badge caught my eye.
So after the booking procedure, I requested the SA to give me a test ride of their Polo TSI. She readily obliged. She told me that they have just started giving this car for test ride.
Now on to the actual test ride.
For the un-initiated, this baby comes with the DSG 7 Speed gearbox. The guy who bought the car to front of showroom told me to "use left leg for brakes" . SA asked me if I had driven an auto box before. I said yes ( I have TD'ed Hyundai Verna CRDI Auto and an i10 Auto).
So I put the car to 'D' and drove off to the gate. So now I had a choice to make; Do I put it to tiptronic mode or Do I switch to 'S'. Since the car did not have paddle shift, I opted for S.
Since this is a Dual-Clutch Gearbox, the upshifts are quick, and since this has a clutch and not a torque converter, there is not rubberband effect that is seen so often on other auto boxes. Now the engine, and boy, what an engine it is! This one pulls like diesel (Tons of torque), and sharp like petrol. 1.2TSI easily outclasses the Swift engine (I have the First generation 1.2K engine, one of the few 1.2L which feels like a bigger engine). The S mode with aggressive throttle will see you hit the red-line (or near red-line) during upshifts.
So in a nutshell :
The best auto box in town ( I dont know much about Fiesta, but this outclasses Hyundai Verna's and from what I have read VW Vento's).
1.2 TSI engine is brilliant. It has the responsiveness of a petrol combined with the immense torque, thanks to the turbocharger. A generation ahead of all the other hatchback engines in town.

I disagree that this vehicle is overpriced. I think the pricing is pretty good, since :
1. This has a turbo, with a "sort of" intercooler.
2. DSG auto box which is brilliant.

Now, I do not know much about the reliability issues faced by the DSG Boxes, but when it works, it works, better than a manual
I just wished that they included a paddle shift.
One more thing that I did not like was the interior fabric. VW could have put in the leatherette for seats. Steering, gear knob and handbrakes feature leather stitching though.

Price is projected to be ~9.8L on-road bangalore (but not yet confirmed), and launch date will be 28th of this month as per the SA.

VW Palace cross staff was friendly and very co-operative (Maybe booking a Vento by plonking 50k cash may have something to do with it) .

Last edited by allajunaki : 23rd April 2013 at 09:42. Reason: oops, 1.2TSI has a turbo not a supercharger. Now a supercharger would be awesome, aint it?
allajunaki is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:08   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
So after the booking procedure, I requested the SA to give me a test ride of their Polo TSI. She readily obliged. She told me that they have just started giving this car for test ride.
Thank you for the report. I wanted to know if there is a dead pedal in lieu of the absent clutch.

Cheers,
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:14   #370
BHPian

Nope, I did not notice any. But then again, I was not looking for it specifically, and I did not feel any elevated area to rest my feet upon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Thank you for the report. I wanted to know if there is a dead pedal in lieu of the absent clutch.

Cheers,
allajunaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:03   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, I do not know much about the reliability issues faced by the DSG Boxes, but when it works, it works, better than a manual
Thank you very much for the quick short test-drive update

A year back I had a test drive of Petrol Superb with same gearbox. I was blown away by the pulling and smoothness of DSG 7 speed. Well Superb carries more BHP, still the jerk free up-shift and down-shift was worth experiencing.

As concerned by everyone the reliability of DSG 7 is the only bottleneck. If VV is providing some extended warranty coverage for engine and DSG (say 5 years) then this car will be a top seller in Petrol category.

Just dreaming of driving Polo TSI in Delhi traffic. Just forget the stick and concentrate on road ahead.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:16   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

So I put the car to 'D' and drove off to the gate. So now I had a choice to make; Do I put it to tiptronic mode or Do I switch to 'S'. Since the car did not have paddle shift, I opted for S.
I just wished that they included a paddle shift.
I am not quite familiar with auto boxes, so can someone please tell me the difference between paddle shift and tiptronic mode?

And when you say you have a choice of tiptronic or S mode, is there a separate button for it?
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:22   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

I am not quite familiar with auto boxes, so can someone please tell me the difference between paddle shift and tiptronic mode?

And when you say you have a choice of tiptronic or S mode, is there a separate button for it?
Just that you can shift without taking your hands off the steering wheel with paddle shifters.

Its in the gear lever. You can either slot the lever in D with tiptronic or S mode for that little bit extra than the sedate D mode.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:37   #374
BHPian

Normally, auto boxes have some logic builtin for doing the upshifts (and downshifts). In Tiptronic mode, you get to choose when to do the up / down shifts ( The gear lever will be slotted into mode where you will have +/- options or a paddles behind the steering wheel).
D and S are different shift schemes available with auto.
In D mode, the vehicle will go into a compromise mode that gives you some performance without straining your engine too much. Where as 'S' or sport mode will push the engine a bit more (for an analogy in manual car, when you are racing that annoying M800 with Ferrari logo, your brain goes into sport mode ).
Ofcourse, the auto boxes are quite andvanced though. Generally, you can "talk" to the auto box with the accelerator. If you are aggressive with throttle, the auto "understands" that you need performance and will generally hold the engine at much higher rpm before shifting out.
So "S" mode with aggressive throttle input will see "Redlining" the 1.2TSI.

I hope this explanation made sense

Quote:

allajunaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:56   #375
BHPian

Quote:

Paddle shifts are normal manual gears without a clutch pedal, ferrari invented it in F1. User changes the gears by flicking the paddles, only issue is that these are bit jerky shifts, as compared to tiptronics or DSG.

Tiptronic is a auto tranny that has with a kind of switch that just tells the automatic transmission when to shift, you shift it + to increase the level, - to reduce it. It can have number of shift maps selected by the microprocessor to sharpen the shifts by holding some shift points longer per selection by user

'S' mode is nothing but the 'Sport' mode similar to 'D' mode you have in tiptronic, only difference being that it delays the shifts to the next gear, to make a aggresive setting. Say in 'D' mode you are in 3th gear, so in 'S' mode you would be in 2rd.

Not sure on the buttons :(
spyder918 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks