Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 20:48   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
me thinks this is a good fit. A real good fit.
Definitely true. This could turn out to be one fantastic car for us petrolheads. But we are a dying breed and GM of the ASC was also not very enthusiastic about its sales in the predominantly diesel market here in Meerut. Also AT's are not particularly fast movers in smaller cities like Meeut but definitely in all metros. This will remain a niche product and more the better for enthusiast's exclusivity.

I for one would luv to own this soon, petrol costs can go to heaven...

Last edited by dkaile : 17th April 2013 at 20:50.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 20:58   #302
BHPian

Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

I was thinking if a steering wheel with paddle shifters can be be retrofitted from the GTI, like someone on the forum has done with his Laura AT ambition. Will increase the fun quotient leaps and bounds!
Any reasons for this being impossible, if at all?
Old 18th April 2013, 09:50   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Interesting choice of badges. No Volkswagen, no Polo.
Indeed, looks much cleaner and I'm sure by now that big VW boot emblem is no stranger to the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
Drove the car this morning, superb i must say, being an owner of the 1.6 polo i must say this is a welcomed change from the old boring snail. Dont really know much about the DSG box, but to the common driver its amazing.
Perhaps makes you the first here to get a chance! Nice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Details were sketchy with them as prices had not reached them. 2 figures were floating of 6.88L & 7.5L of the ex-showroom price. Though their GM later told me that the on-road price would be around 9L, which IMHO could kill the product even before it is launched.

I told him I will wait for 6 months for the DQ-200's reliability figures and also for the 1 Lac discount that I foresee it will shortly be selling at , if it is launched at these prices.
I doubt VW will go soft on it's pricing whatever it maybe, even after 6months, they are well aware that it's not a car that would attract more numbers by discounts.

They are targeting a very specific customer base who are looking for premium hatches for cities, and ready to go the extra mile with a petrol AT! " Kitna deti hai" will be out of question, hence the price.

That's just my opinion.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:16   #304
Senior - BHPian

If I remember correctly, the 1.6L Polo petrol used to be available under Rs.6.5L ex-showroom. The premium for DSG should be around 1L. The TSI being under 1.2L, VW will be able to save some cost on the excise duty (compared to 1.6L Polo petrol), but the savings may be offset against the higher cost for the TSI engine. So I think VW should be able to keep the price near Rs.7.5L ex-showroom, assuming the feature list stays the same as existing Highline petrol.

Last edited by StarrySky : 18th April 2013 at 10:17.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:46   #305
BHPian

I was able to obtain a sneak peek at a shiny red Polo TSI at one of the dealers yesterday evening, under the condition of no pictures and anonymity. The car looks stunning with the GTI badging, front air dam, chrome fog lamps, rear spoiler and what looked like black leather interiors. The red color especially was flattering.

The dealer expects the OTR in Bangalore to be around the 8.5 lakh range.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:25   #306
BHPian

Personally checked the GT in flesh, no test drive as it was parked in a place from where it couldnt be taken out and isnt allowed either. Started the car and how silent is it.. and when I raced the engine a very sweet exhaust. Seats were covered with plastic but they are fabric and not leather, but a black grey shade make it look sporty. It is a DSG ! No armrest was a disappointment for me personally. The rear spoiler is more sporty than the usual one. The foot rest comes with GT Tsi branding. Btw no pics possible. Yhe engine bay looks cool and seems to have lot of unused space left. Test drive car maybe available till month end and I would like to do a back to back test drive with vento tdi. Still thinking if vento tdi with 250nm would be better to drive than this with 175nm. - except the convenience of automatic.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:59   #307
BHPian

Checked the car in the yard in Chennai. Looks solid and fantastic. The color was black and simply looks awesome. No pics though, prices expected by the end of this month. Interiors are a combination of black and beige. Prices around 9+ lacs.

Looks so cool. Simply can't wait.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:26   #308
BHPian

I was informed yesterday by the Volkwagen showroom in Saket that Polo TSI launches at the end of the month.
On road price in Delhi is Rs 7.6L without negotiation.

Will come in highlife variant only.

I think that equals a Ex Showroom price ~ 7.1L

Bookings have started BTW
Old 18th April 2013, 17:01   #309

It is only a matter of time before all the manufacturers will offer turbocharged petrol engines. Ford's EcoBoost technology has been making waves for the last one year. Even Hyundai has a lineup ready. So it will only be about first-mover advantage for VW if Polo TSI is launched soon.

The 7-speed DSG is NOT the real news. It is the turbocharged petrol engine that is really the focus. The higher torque will let petrol cars compete with diesel ones on the highway. The higher fuel efficiency will also correct the petrol-diesel imbalance to some extent.

When all the major players start selling turbocharged petrol engine cars, the battle will again boil down to value for money, driveability, features and 'kitna deti hai?'! Of course, it may be 3 to 5 years before this scenario plays out.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:26   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The TSI being under 1.2L, VW will be able to save some cost on the excise duty (compared to 1.6L Polo petrol), but the savings may be offset against the higher cost for the TSI engine.
The SA said it is a 1.4l engine and not a 1.2. He did sound sure, so this means that the excise benefit is no more there. Confusion all around.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:33   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
The SA said it is a 1.4l engine and not a 1.2. He did sound sure, so this means that the excise benefit is no more there. Confusion all around.
I have a date either the TSI on the weekend, let me see if I can sneak a pic of the engine bay to confirm which engine it is.

It's not on display yet but the dealers have already received the cars in the stockyards.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:38   #312
BHPian

Quote:
You will get "ghee shakar" if your news is true and all over your body if it also comes with a super charger --lol -- thats not true unfortunately
Old 18th April 2013, 17:49   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post

You will get "ghee shakar" if your news is true and all over your body if it also comes with a super charger --lol -- thats not true unfortunately
Well for me it is getting more and more confusing. I repeatedly asked him whether it is 1.2/1.4, but he sounded 100% confident that it is indeed 1.4. Also confusion around the variants and prices as well. He says it is both mid as well as top variants , but read earlier in this thread that it is going to be only the top end based on what another SA said.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:57   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well for me it is getting more and more confusing. I repeatedly asked him whether it is 1.2/1.4, but he sounded 100% confident that it is indeed 1.4. Also confusion around the variants and prices as well. He says it is both mid as well as top variants , but read earlier in this thread that it is going to be only the top end based on what another SA said.
Your SA is misinformed, that's all

I look forward to knowing the ARAI rating of this 1.2 TSI + 7 DSG car. This car could hold a real edge in that department against the other AT hatches.
Old 18th April 2013, 18:53   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know something, mine said the same thing. He said it was 1.4 on the billing that came from the factory. Although I assured him that its in fact a 1.2 TSI. Some billing error from VW? God knows but even multinationals mess it up sometimes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks