Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 09:16   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Most of us are overlooking the fact that VW is launching this 1.2 TSI Polo with the very troublesome DQ 200 gearbox (7-DSG). This gearbox has had issues worldwide as well as has proved troublesome on the 7DSG Petrol Superb where it is solely used in India up till now.

God help VW and the unsuspecting prospective Polo owners who fall for this 7DSG Polo...
Old 5th April 2013, 10:04   #197
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Most of us are overlooking the fact that VW is launching this 1.2 TSI Polo with the very troublesome DQ 200 gearbox (7-DSG). This gearbox has had issues worldwide as well as has proved troublesome on the 7DSG Petrol Superb where it is solely used in India up till now.

God help VW and the unsuspecting prospective Polo owners who fall for this 7DSG Polo...
Even with the said reputation, I may still consider it when I visit India in a few months. Of course, there are more parameters which could impact the final decision. From what I have around, they have done updates to the newer batches to address the issue. All the Golf, Polo and Octavia (except for the GTI and vRS) sold here are with this 7-speed DSG. The issues reported are minimum (or NIL) in the past year or so.

I maybe wrong here, but I feel the pairing of 1.8 TSI with this DQ200 is bit of a mismatch. This is supposed to be used with smaller engines with low torque output (upto 250). This means, when paired with the 1.8 TSI, it’s actually on the limits.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 10:12   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I wonder why they can't use the 6 speed wet type? Is it that much more expensive to manufacture?

Hope they atleast provide a manual option. The costs of a DSG failure may not hurt much for a Superb owner, but will be devastating for the owner of an 8L rupee hatchback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even with the said reputation, I may still consider it when I visit India in a few months. Of course, there are more parameters which could impact the final decision. From what I have around, they have done updates to the newer batches to address the issue. All the Golf, Polo and Octavia (except for the GTI and vRS) sold here are with this 7-speed DSG. The issues reported are minimum (or NIL) in the past year or so.

I maybe wrong here, but I feel the pairing of 1.8 TSI with this DQ200 is bit of a mismatch. This is supposed to be used with smaller engines with low torque output (upto 250). This means, when paired with the 1.8 TSI, it’s actually on the limits.
Please dont judge the box from the Singapore version. Indian version still has failures in the Superb, right?

Also - more than the torque being on the limits - I believe its the start-stop Indian traffic conditions that are to blame. Afterall - DQ200 is a dry box.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th April 2013 at 10:14.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 10:12   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but I feel the pairing of 1.8 TSI with this DQ200 is bit of a mismatch.
Though you are right there that their DQ200 is basically for low torque engines, I would still be wary of this gearbox because essentially this is the same dry clutch gearbox which has not proven to work properly in dusty and hotter climate regions like ours. For our locales a wet clutch system is a better bet.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 11:36   #200
BANNED

This in from the AutoCar Show from Hormazd

Only 7 Speed DSG with the 1.2 TSI. Launch on 29 April.

No concrete plans for a manual right now.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:45   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Please dont judge the box from the Singapore version. Indian version still has failures in the Superb, right?

Also - more than the torque being on the limits - I believe its the start-stop Indian traffic conditions that are to blame. Afterall - DQ200 is a dry box.
Quote:
Though you are right there that their DQ200 is basically for low torque engines, I would still be wary of this gearbox because essentially this is the same dry clutch gearbox which has not proven to work properly in dusty and hotter climate regions like ours. For our locales a wet clutch system is a better bet.
Not really judging by the failure occurrence in Singapore version. Infact there should not be much difference. Here it is coming in as CBU, whereas in India it’s a CKD. And the climate is hot and humid as well (minus the dusty conditions)

Here is a news bit of a DSG upgrade they did last year in Singapore(http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News...04-337663.html).

Instead of officially naming it as a recall, they actually sent free upgrade notice to 8000 odd VW customers. Ideally, if they have identified the problem and fixed it, the issue should not surface in the newer batches.
And if they have still major issues with this, they wouldn’t have launched their bread n’ butter model MK7 Golf with the same gearbox.

Ideally, they should look at launching the Polo 1.2 TSI (manual and DSG), fully loaded with all safety features (including ESP). I would love to see a petrol revival in the mid-size car segment. Wishful thinking!
Old 5th April 2013, 11:58   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a news bit of a DSG upgrade they did last year in Singapore(http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News...04-337663.html).
That was more of a software upgrade rather than a proper DSG overhaul as per the article. This software upgrade was also done for Indian spec vehicles as per my information. Vehicles pre-2012 had issues with the DQ200 as a norm rather than a rarity in India, though I have yet to hear of post 2012 models having DSG failures in the DQ200 gearbox. Also, I would presume that VW group is fully aware of the failure rate of their gearboxes hence the recalls in many countries other than India and they would not be so fool-hardy as to launch their premium model like Polo with a brilliant TSI engine and a flawed gearbox.

I would watch this space closely for actual user feedback but that can take a long time of more than 6~12 months of usage, before actually giving this gear box a thumbs up.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:14   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Simple to resolve actually IF they have the guts: Let Skoda India sell the Polo DSG with an unlimited mileage 'no quibble' 5 year replacement warranty.

Look how they cater to China because of their sheer purchasing power and an aggressive regulator who comes down (sometimes unfairly) on Western car manufacturers.

Fact is that VAG are yet to figure out their commitment to India even though they have tasted success with Skoda for quite a few years now.

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th April 2013 at 12:16. Reason: Clarity
Old 5th April 2013, 13:24   #204
BHPian

The fact that VW is launching the Polo 1.2 TSI with only a 7 speed DSG makes me to believe that they want to project it as a premium product along the lines of their recent strategy.

This means, can we sooner expect a much cheaper MT Fabia 1.2 TSI?
Old 5th April 2013, 17:17   #205
BHPian

I'm hoping the Polo TSi is a good car. However this doesn't really address some of the other niggling issues that have been plaguing Volkswagen.

A 105HP hatch would make it the most powerful in the class, I assume. That's not bad at all!
The question remains more as to how they address all their other issues and how they position the car.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:05   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
This means, can we sooner expect a much cheaper MT Fabia 1.2 TSI?
Current Fabia is at the end of its life-cycle, being launched way back in 2007. I believe a new one might be on the cards soon.

1.2 TSi will not help numbers and can only help in market positioning (as a desirable hatch), upmarket image and publicity - which wont benefit a product which is almost at the end of its cycle - and has been struggling with sales ever since launch.

That said - Skoda has been comparatively aggressive with their products and engine lineup. Hope they think - 'WTH, lets just do it!'.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 12:43   #207
Senior - BHPian

Are they going to replace the 1.6 with the TSI, or give the same 1.2 engine across all models on the Polo? If its only replacing the 1.6, its sad.. I doubt it would make any major difference to their numbers either.
Old 8th April 2013, 15:28   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Are they going to replace the 1.6 with the TSI, or give the same 1.2 engine across all models on the Polo? If its only replacing the 1.6, its sad.. I doubt it would make any major difference to their numbers either.
It will only replace the 1.6 and I don't know why you think it wont sell well. It benefits from less tax, more driveability and great mileage in effect it is cheaper than the 1.6, and hasn't got the disadvantages that come with a traditional large naturally aspirated petrol
Old 8th April 2013, 15:32   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post
I'm hoping the Polo TSi is a good car. However this doesn't really address some of the other niggling issues that have been plaguing Volkswagen.

A 105HP hatch would make it the most powerful in the class, I assume. That's not bad at all!
The question remains more as to how they address all their other issues and how they position the car.
What issues might you be referring to that plague the polo? It sells pretty decently and if they tweak the suspension for even better handling characteristics, it would be the best bet for youth of today.
Old 12th April 2013, 19:57   #210
BHPian

Just spotted a trio of debadged TSI's on the Palm Beach Road. A major difference I noted is that these cars are equipped with the Highline MFD.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks