Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 19:55   #61
BHPian

VW Polo TSI - Launching soon!

Looks like the Polo TSI is going to be launched soon!

Catch the story here - http://www.autocarindia.com/News/326...d-12-polo.aspx
Old 14th December 2012, 01:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Thats good! I am sure there will be an MT version as well. The DSG version, I sure will be pricey and is not going to set the charts on fire. If they are bringing the 1.2 TSI to India, they will have to sell it with an MT box to bring in the volumes.

The Polo badly needed better engines to compliment its good chasis. The 1.2 TSI might just be what the doctor ordered.
Agree one hundred per cent. In fact, I expect their first choice to be the MT version. Most definitely to drive the volumes for VW. DSG, if at all, will be for the connoisseurs - and may even be introduced later. Speculation, of course.
Old 14th December 2012, 01:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

I believe the 1.2 tsi, like many other high-end offerings of certain models, will only come in one trim atleast initially and that is only DSG
Old 14th December 2012, 05:15   #64
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I believe the 1.2 tsi, like many other high-end offerings of certain models, will only come in one trim atleast initially and that is only DSG
Am i the only one with a HUGE smile plastered on my face?

If they dont launch it ridiculously high, I can get this car for parents. Yes, you read it right, for parents. Why not, its a small automatic that they are looking for! We have been thinking about Brio automatic for sometime now and another main contender is the Amaze if it gets launched in the automatic trim!

But Polo offers a chance to kill two birds with one stone. An automatic for parents - and an enjoyable turbopetrol for me whenever i visit Kerala.

One doubt though - Isn't this 7 speed AT known to be a bit problematic?
Old 14th December 2012, 06:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nope - I have that evil grin too !!
Want this to be launched sometime early next year - preferably by Feb 2013 - that's when I have planned my return to homeland.

Last edited by blackasta : 14th December 2012 at 06:05.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:07   #66
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2012 at 11:20.
apurva512 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th December 2012, 12:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nope - I have that evil grin too !!
Add me to the evil grin club (Our motto - "Go Grin" )

Just check the Polo 1.2 TSI's performance videos on Youtube. The thing pulls like a train across the rev range. And a nice soundtrack too. I think it'll give a mini-vRS experience.

I feel VW will have to launch it with a manual option across trim levels to extract the full (sales) potential of this engine.

That DSG box is fantastic, however am scared of the problems it may have, specially in Indian conditions. Would definitely like to see a manual option.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

I think the 1.2 TSi is offered only with a 6-speed gearbox in MT, so this means new engine + new gearbox for the Polo 1.2 TSi compared to existing Polo. So we should expect a steep hike in prices. This will likely be a "sports" model available only in the highest trim (like the 1.6 Polo when it was available).
Old 14th December 2012, 13:27   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the 1.2 TSi is offered only with a 6-speed gearbox in MT, so this means new engine + new gearbox for the Polo 1.2 TSi compared to existing Polo. So we should expect a steep hike in prices. This will likely be a "sports" model available only in the highest trim (like the 1.6 Polo when it was available).
What you mean? 1.2 TSi with 7-speed DSG is pretty standard for the Polo across the world. Its not something new. Yes, it should go in the slot of 1.6 Polo. Afterall the 1.2 TSi is the global replacement for the 1.6MPI.
Old 14th December 2012, 14:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What you mean? 1.2 TSi with 7-speed DSG is pretty standard for the Polo across the world.
What I wanted to say was in MT, 1.2TSi seems to be available only with a 6-speed gearbox and not 5-speed like in the Polo available in India. So for MT also, there is new engine + new gearbox required to be launched in Indian Polo, so MT TSi need not necessarily be cheap (the price hike compared to existing Polo).

The 7-speed DSG will be even more expensive.

I don't know if VW could launch the 1.2 TSi with the existing Polo gearbox to keep costs down.

Last edited by StarrySky : 14th December 2012 at 14:24.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 14:32   #71
BANNED

if there is only one trim in the 1.2 TSi + DSG version what would be the....?

1. Expected/Most Likely On Road Price
2. Ideal On Road Price
Old 14th December 2012, 14:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

I am still pretty sure the 1.2tsi will come in only one variant with a dsg If they manage to keep it under 9.5L otr then they have a winner on their hands
Old 14th December 2012, 15:26   #73
BHPian

Quote:
I am still pretty sure the 1.2tsi will come in only one variant with a dsg If they manage to keep it under 9.5L otr then they have a winner on their hands
The current OTR of the polo 1.2 Highline is around 6.8 lakhs in chennai.

Assuming they demand a premium for the TSI technology and the DSG autobox without a rise in excise duty as its still under 1200 cc, a price of 8.5 lakh OTR should be very compelling.

Keeping the fingers crossed for now.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi

The current OTR of the polo 1.2 Highline is around 6.8 lakhs in chennai.

Assuming they demand a premium for the TSI technology and the DSG autobox without a rise in excise duty as its still under 1200 cc, a price of 8.5 lakh OTR should be very compelling.

Keeping the fingers crossed for now.
Well then im sure this will sell like hot cakes it is definitely a bargain at that price
Old 14th December 2012, 18:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Well then im sure this will sell like hot cakes it is definitely a bargain at that price
Agreed that it is indeed a bargain at that price given its power and torque figures. This will surely attract many of those enthusiasts around here.

BUT, still close to 9 lakh for a PETROL HATCHBACK in this diesel sensitive market is still a gamble only. I don't think it will fly off the shelves as you predict. Might just increase the hype and do some decent numbers.

Afterall its still a petrol with around 15-17 km/l and a 20 rs. premium over diesel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks