Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 16:29   #91
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Really. Then what is all this celebration in aide if?

apart from the differential locks, what skill and experience does Force Motors have in off road capable vehicles?

The basic traits of 4x4, ground clearance, and diff locks will take any vehicle pretty far, but beyond that there is a great variety of off road capabilities that come from the expertise of the manufacturer. I don't see that Force Motors has any.

I see no reason to expect that the Gukha is better off road than, say a Bolero or a thar or a scorpio, except so far as the the difference the diff locks makes.

I've just lost all interest.

I'll get ARB lockers for my SFX.
Old 19th February 2013, 16:32   #92
BHPian

All the machoness and ruggedness of gurkha is gone. This one looks like lady gurkha. IMO gurkha in opening post look alot better than this "plasticy" gurkhas. Pricing is over optimistic. I am disappointed.
Old 19th February 2013, 16:56   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I see no reason to expect that the Gukha is better off road than, say a Bolero or a thar or a scorpio, except so far as the the difference the diff locks makes.
For off-road Gurkha is far better than Bolero or Scorpio. I have a Scorpio 4x4 and the Ground Clearance, Front/Rear Over Hangs and Ramp over angle is horrible. bolero is slightly more capable but GC is still 180 mm only.

When it comes to recreational off-road vehicles, Indians have no choice. Thar was the only option so far , but it is not family friendly. Gurkha give you comparable off-road ability as the Thar but with a proper Hard Top and Seating for 5 adults.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 17:00   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Your comment would have more credibility if you had actually said the same after actually driving, or seeing the Gurkha in action. there are lots of videos on various OTRs threads showing what the Gurkha can do as opposed to others like Bolero and Thar. Why not see those first before making a sweeping statement.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 17:01   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Your comment would have more credibility if you had actually said the same after actually driving, or seeing the Gurkha in action. there are lots of videos on various OTRs threads showing what the Gurkha can do as opposed to others like Bolero and Thar. Why not see those first before making a sweeping statement.
Please help me understand what, apart from the diff locks, creates this ability.

Last edited by Harbir : 19th February 2013 at 17:06.
Old 19th February 2013, 17:28   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not an off-roader, but would definitely test drive a vehicle before losing interest, particularly when I am comparing it with other cars.
Old 19th February 2013, 17:29   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, you can just ask the people who have seen all these vehicles in action in offroad trails.

The bolero/scorpio don't come close to Gurkha. But between MM5X0, Gypsy, Gurkha, it is hard to pick a winner since each have their strengths, except that Gurkha allows you do it in relative luxury.
Old 19th February 2013, 17:34   #98
BHPian

I am sorry if I have made myself misunderstood. I did not really mean the bolero and the thar.

My point was that if it is not a gelandwagen, then apart from the diff locks, its not a radically superior vehicle to the choices that Indians already have in terms of ability, as in the vehicles you mentioned (the CJ derived MM, the gypsy).

Certainly the diff locks and the hard top make it a compelling choice against its off road rivals, but as nice as that is, its not quite the same as the promise of a cheap gelandwagen, is it?

Not that I am blaming Force or anyone else. Its my fault for having had an unsubstantiated impression and having built an interest in the vehicle on that basis.

With that I withdraw from this thread. as its not what I thought it was, it is no longer a vehicle of interest to me, and I won't sit around souring the milk for everyone else. Cheers.

Last edited by Harbir : 19th February 2013 at 17:36.
Old 19th February 2013, 17:50   #99
BANNED

Quote:
I am sorry if I have made myself misunderstood. I did not really mean the bolero and the thar.

My point was that if it is not a gelandwagen, then apart from the diff locks, its not a radically superior vehicle to the choices that Indians already have in terms of ability, as in the vehicles you mentioned (the CJ derived MM, the gypsy).

Certainly the diff locks and the hard top make it a compelling choice against its off road rivals, but as nice as that is, its not quite the same as the promise of a cheap gelandwagen, is it?

Not that I am blaming Force or anyone else. Its my fault for having had an unsubstantiated impression and having built an interest in the vehicle on that basis.

With that I withdraw from this thread. as its not what I thought it was, it is no longer a vehicle of interest to me, and I won't sit around souring the milk for everyone else. Cheers.
Do you really believe that the Gurkha and the G Wagen have nothing in common other than the basic shape? Or, rather, do you allow yourself to believe that so easily?

Sure, the Gurkha has nothing in common with the blinged out AMG G wagens out now, but try comparing to the original 460 G.

If you feel the tubular chassis, double wishbone suspension, divorced transfercase, heavy duty diffs with locks built in, short overhangs, etc., etc., dont mean anything, and cannot distinguish the difference that each component makes in an offroad environment, you are probably better off with a P.O.S. Mahindra product anyways.

Dont knock it till you've rocked it.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 18:22   #100
Team-BHP Support

I am still wondering about the Kerb weight. Anybody got an idea. If this thing weighs over 1600kg or so, then the 82 horses are going to be very inadequate, and using this vehicle as an expedition vehicle is out of the question.
Comfortable cruising at 100-120kmph without straining the engine too much is what is needed.

One thing I really did not like in this is lack of tachometer. Rest, I guess I will have to take a TD. Would dealers in noida even have this vehicle available for TD?
Old 19th February 2013, 18:33   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am still wondering about the Kerb weight. Anybody got an idea.
GVW rated at 2510 as per fact sheet here:

http://www.forcemotors.com/index.php...x/force_gurkha

Cheers
Old 19th February 2013, 18:35   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
GVW rated at 2510 as per fact sheet here:

http://www.forcemotors.com/index.php...x/force_gurkha

Cheers
This is the Gross weight, i.e. weight with passengers. I am more interested in the "kerb" or unladen weight.
Old 19th February 2013, 21:42   #103
BHPian

I am no off-roader and have never even driven a jeep. But one of friends in Coorg who is a Jeep addict says that this is one of the finest 4x4 vehicles ever made. Nonetheless, I still feel it is not the prettiest looking vehicle. Although vehicles like Scorpio may not be able to match this beast, I would prefer limited off road capability to creature comforts anyday. Hey, isn't that what most folks look for in an SUV? Bring on the soft roaders!

Cheers!
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 23:35   #104
Senior - BHPian

Harbir saab,

I think you drive a SFX, i understand that its a variant of Pajero sold in india which is i think is the 3rd gen pajero, outdated and production discontinued all over the world but still sold to us indians at 20 lakh plus a piece!

Isnt that over priced and outdated?
A 20 lakh plush vehicle doesnt come with diff locks?

See, we all go about our needs and wants, and buy a product which suits us. some people will buy Gurkha and some wont.

Personally i wont buy a discontinued Pajero, but might buy a in production Gurkha/Thar.
Parm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 23:58   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
...I think you drive a SFX, i understand that its a variant of Pajero sold in india which is i think is the 3rd gen pajero, outdated and production discontinued all over the world but still sold to us indians at 20 lakh plus a piece!...
OT:

Isn't it the 2nd generation? The 3rd Gen has got more curvy looks, as the predecessor to the current 4th Gen. So, imagine how outdated the model actually is.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks