Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 23:12   #211
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Any idea when we will have teambhp review for Gurkha. Even though it is barebones, it looks interesting. I am planning to consider it as a daily drive with occasional offroad activities. Major worry though is the steering position, reminds me of RTC buses. I have done a little off-road in Thar and it was fun. From what I read Gurkha is a better proposition than a Thar. With Some modification Gurkha should look butch and having the rear wheel on the tailgate retains its character.

I need to test drive it ASAP. Any 4x4 guys here planning to test ride in Hyderabad??
Old 1st May 2013, 20:34   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If force can give a 100 bhp/25 kgm engine, I will choose the Gurkha over the Thar any day as it is a lot more practical vehicle.
Tini

Dont bother waiting - I've been given to understand by someone in the know that there will not be a BS4 Gurkha. Apparently the cost of producing it would make it infeasible to sell, as nobody would pay so much for a vehicle with such basic interiors.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 21:08   #213
Senior - BHPian

@Steer. Sad to hear that!

Its a lot easier to drop that delicious OM611 engine from the 1 into the Gurkha than try to massage the old one to meet BS4.

Hope the agreement with MB allows for it !

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd May 2013 at 09:27.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:09   #214
BHPian

Force gurkha has just released these two videos, makes it more tempting after watching them, have a look at it guys, both are real world videos, hence i liked it more !

Its looking very interesting the way these guys are marketing the product !!

Last edited by 007 Bond : 9th May 2013 at 10:10.
007 Bond is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 17:19   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Force gurkha has just released these two videos, makes it more tempting after watching them, have a look at it guys, both are real world videos, hence i liked it more !

Its looking very interesting the way these guys are marketing the product !!
The person who is driving the Gurkha is not an OTR guy!

1. After climbing the stairs, he finds it difficult to turn the steering towards the right.

2. The way of making the Gurkha "Jump" on the embankment, is very incorrect in terms of OTR driving. One ends up harming the fellow passengers and cause expensive damage to the vehicle.

Total immature way of handling the vehicle.
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 17:25   #216
Senior - BHPian

but its really cool to see gurkha swim effortlessly across water and then climb the stairs.
nice video
Old 9th May 2013, 18:42   #217
Senior - BHPian

Overall Gurkha is a good package. But i am still not sure whether company is taking it seriously (which i think they are) or they are damn slow in execution. They launched it 2 months back and in their home city vehicle is not displayed on all showrooms except one. I am following up with them from last 3 months but i am yet to see vehicle in flesh (though i have seen it on road during their test) forget about test drive.
Why this attitude when they dont have first mover advantage and Mahindra might be planning another upgrade on Thar...

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 22:24   #218
BHPian

This looks more like marketing showmanship, I am sure most 4x4s including Thar and Gypsy could pull these stunts. Also when he lands after the jump, the rebound seems to be set too hard.
Old 10th May 2013, 06:56   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Stunts !

btw, the front end looks horrendous !
Old 10th May 2013, 08:06   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

The water wading and stairs climbing one looks good. The second video looks kiddish. But Gurkha seems to be quite capable.
Old 13th May 2013, 11:06   #221
Senior - BHPian

Two Mobile pictures from yesterday's event. Sorry, I wasn't carrying a proper camera.

There's a wonderful video of the New Gurkha making mincemeat of an Articulation Point, that saw every other type of vehicle either beached or stuck. Only a 550 with LSD and Double Shackles was able to clear it. Will try and upload it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkha-new-old-front.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkha-new-old-side.jpg  

roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 12:30   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
btw, the front end looks horrendous !
"Grotesque" would be more apt, but still does not do enough justice to the 'treatment'.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:01   #223
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The videos are really cool. It does not matter that the correct technique was not used to navigate the obstacles and that the driver was not a professional (or was one and made mistakes) in either cases the ability of the vehicle does stands out.

If the Thar did not have sufficient power we would have complained about the engine, now we complain about the IFS and interior quality. If it had interiors we would have complained about it being unsuitable for off road trips and if it did not have IFS we would have complained about the highway drive.

The Gurkha seems to miss out only on the Engine front mainly. The plastic bumpers can anyways be taken care of by the buyers.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:54   #224
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is the Gross weight, i.e. weight with passengers. I am more interested in the "kerb" or unladen weight.
The kerb weight is 1990 kg - somewhat on the high side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Next project on Gurkha is Gurkha with ABS, ...
From your old posts you do seem to have some inside information on Force Gurkha!

May be, I would be looking out for a Force Gurkha for whatever it looks in some 3-4 months from now.

1. So how far, in months, is the Gurkha ABS?

2. The RAW of Gurkha is 1410 kg [somewhat less?], the GVW 2510 kg. With diff locks the stress is quite big on the rear axle, and depending upon terrain it goes more up. Have you heard of any rear axle stress problems on prolonged testing when the vehicle is fully loaded and with diff locks engaged in adverse terrains? Or may be you can ask some of the factory tech out there about this - may be just an upstart query but would like to get this cleared up.

As for the Gurkha, the cost is okay for what is there - of course it looks horrendous. But then I plan to start travel journeys from his year end to some places with some most hostile terrains, with family - so do need to know more about the structural rigidity of the rear axle when the vehicle is fully loaded and under stress with diff lock.

Last edited by adc : 14th May 2013 at 14:04.
Old 14th May 2013, 15:44   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
2. The RAW of Gurkha is 1410 kg [somewhat less?], the GVW 2510 kg. With diff locks the stress is quite big on the rear axle, and depending upon terrain it goes more up. Have you heard of any rear axle stress problems on prolonged testing when the vehicle is fully loaded and with diff locks engaged in adverse terrains? Or may be you can ask some of the factory tech out there about this - may be just an upstart query but would like to get this cleared up.
There are a couple of points to note here:
1. When do you use a Diff Lock? - You should engage a Diff Lock when you have lost or will certainly lose traction on one wheel each from each axle. At times, when you are attempting steep climbs (e.g. 70 degrees sand), you may choose to engage the Rear Diff Lock, to ensure that the Pushing wheels maintain traction for as long as possible. You should not use the Front Diff Lock specifically in situations that need a lot of Steering corrections. This will place an enormous stress on the Front Axle components. I have used this as an exception only, and that too when nothing else has worked. The rear diff locks are relatively safer to use, but should only be used when absolutely necessary. Diff Locks are certainly not something that you should engage the moment you enter a trail, and keep them on for the rest of the day. That way you are guaranteed busted axles, differentials, and what not!

2. How strong are the Axles? - The Gurkha Axles, specifically the Rear Axles, has an enormous Load Rating. I am unable to recall the exact tonnage, but these are light truck class axles. On Sunday, I towed a MM550 XD for 15 kms, and I was running on 4th Gear comfortably, but there was negligible strain on the Gurkha. A few months back I had the opportunity to tow a Safari VX 4x4 up a sandy hill (100 odd feet over a 30-40 degree slope), because it was hopelessly stuck. In neither situations were Diff Locks needed.
I had recently gotten all my axles, wheel joints, CV joints, Bearings etc checked and there is absolutely no issue. So, I guess the axles are quite strong. My vehicle is now 60K kms old.

P.S. I wouldn't pin much hopes on Gurkha with ABS.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks