Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:38   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

^^ Why do you need to carry spares for your car? Do Force motors not have supplies for the Gurkha now? Or do they mantain dedicated service points for the Force One alone?
Good to know that there is some improvement in servicing for Force customers, hopefully with good service they can improve the brand perception soon. These hilarious experiences I am sure happen in every service station, with almost all brands, so that can be discounted.
Force should wake up to the fact that when a potential customer walks into a Force showroom, he should see cars and should have a car arranged immediately for a test drive, if they can do this much, they will have more sales.
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:01   #197
Senior - BHPian

^^
1. I carry spares so that I am more or less covered in case of break-down etc. I do a lot of off-beat trails and OTR's and don't want to get badly stuck anywhere. Typical things I carry are Filters, Hoses, Bearings, Belts and the like. The other reason to carry spares is that Force Motors outlets do not usually have ready stock for the Gurkha so I have built up a collection over time, for my own sake. It helps that my office is right next to Kashmere Gate in Delhi, where I manage to find most spares that I need.

2. Yes they maintain dedicated Service points for Force One. Force One is under their Personal vehicles division, and the Gurkha is being relaunched under the same division. From what I have seen, they stock up pretty nicely on Force One spares. But, I have heard stories of some delays in procuring parts.

3. Yes - Their entire Marketing and Sales setup is ill thought through and is designed to piss a customer off!
Old 24th April 2013, 11:56   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
A friend of mine who is looking to buy the Gurkha was apparently made the same offer of flying to Pune to check it out. At company cost. Now whether it was a special case or one-off, am not sure. But for a car that costs 8.5 Ex-showroom, I doubt it contains a margin for flying prospective customers into Pune . Yes, this is based on the G-wagen but FML can't really offer what maybe prospective G-Klasse (G63 AMG) customers may be offered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I have been calling the dealer once every week for an update for a test drive of the vehicle. The Gurkha was supposed to be with them by the 1st week of April which has now (expectedly) shifted to the 1st week of May.

Another interesting bit of information graciously dispensed to me was that the Vehicle will be "Only for Display". No test Drives will be allowed on it.

Test Drives will only commence once a specially built track has been prepared for it which can be anywhere..and i quote, "Delhi, Gurgaon or Pune, i cannot confirm yet. The vehicle will definitely not be given for Road test on Normal Surface Roads"

So this means that every customer who wants a test drive will have to book an appointment to drive it on the specially made test track which hasn't been made yet as it location hasn't been decided yet.

Iv'e given up hope of a test Drive this year atleast. I don't really fancy flying to Pune for a test drive either. Amazing marketing ploy by Force Motors i must say. A real gem of an idea

I had a Marketing Manager who had been fired for incompetency. I wonder if he is over at Force Motors now.
I am sure their Marketing is managed by some senior lady of the family, who is more apt at selling consumer goods rather than SUVs with a 4X4X4 moniker...
Jokes apart, if they offer all expenses paid trip (as AVR has posted), I hope you won't mind taking a day off from your busy schedule, in case you want the SUV badly.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:17   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Prince Motors had recently sent a guy (Manoj) to Pune to get trained on the Gurkha and were more than happy to see a real Gurkha in the flesh.
Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Cost of service + consumables + hose replacement = 4000 odd bucks. Of course, I supplied the Oil and Diesel Filter and chose to get the Air Filter cleaned, since it was only mildly dirty.
4 grand after you supplied the oil & filter and chose to have the air filter cleaned (not replaced)? Thats pretty steep, even by Skoda standards.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:25   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Scary

4 grand after you supplied the oil & filter and chose to have the air filter cleaned (not replaced)? Thats pretty steep, even by Skoda standards.
Why Scary? No one except Manoj had seen or worked on a Gurkha earlier. Manoj was quite adept, for the simple task at hand.

Ambiguity of the English Language; let me explain:
(Oil and Diesel) Filter. NOT Oil and (Diesel Filter).
Other Consumables (including syntetic oil) was part of the 4K. Also included Washing and Greasing.

Last edited by roy_libran : 24th April 2013 at 12:26.
Old 24th April 2013, 18:01   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
He simply brushed aside the entire idea ,did not even care to look at the presentation and summarily dismissed us saying " We do not need such stunts ".
We walked out in a daze !
Force Motors R&D predominantly focuses on the following:

1) License an older version of Mercedes.
2) Produce the Merc spec vehicle for a few years.
3) Screw up the Merc engine.
4) Screw up the Merc Chasis/Body
5) Extend the length and make it a 13 seater
6) Extend the width and make it 26 seater....

1) Find the next model from Merc
2) Repeat step 2 to 6.

I bet you that you will see a 26 seater Mercedes Vaneo a few years down the line.

Gurkha had survived exterior mutilation until the latest version was released.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 24th April 2013 at 18:02.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 18:28   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
1) Find the next model from Merc
2) Repeat step 2 to 6.

I bet you that you will see a 26 seater Mercedes Vaneo a few years down the line.
Not to forget, their typical customers (tourist operators) are very happy. And they won't whine about the vehicles online.
Old 27th April 2013, 10:43   #203
Senior - BHPian

Force Gurkha testing pics from today morning

Name:  ForumRunner_20130427_104232.png
Views: 2011
Size:  553.4 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20130427_104222.png
Views: 1898
Size:  518.4 KB

Courtesy: RHANDLE
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 11:06   #204
Senior - BHPian

FML have not learned anything from their previous venture with Gurkha.

The Indian army didnt buy it and nor did the indian civilians!

Now, they have launched a good revised product with better feature list than Thar, but the FML is still run by few nuts and bolts who dont match each other and hence lack of knowledge about automotive busines.

A good product let down by bad company management.

i feel like doing this!
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-wow.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 27th April 2013 at 11:10.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:57   #205
BHPian

Had a look at the display vehicle of Force Gurkha in one of its showrooms in central pune. On the whole, the quality of material is cheap. However there are lots of positives:
a) Completely build hard top body.
b) Front facing rear seats with seat belts
c) Easy access to rear seat through collapsible front seat
d) Plenty of luggage space behind the rear seat

For those who are looking to use this as a city ride off road capable vehicle, the above 4 points are huge pluses over its nearest competitor the Thar or even the Gypsy for that matter, considering its price point as compared to XUV/Storme etc.

e) Allow wheels standard with ex showroom
f) AT tyres standard with ex showroom
g) Factory fitted snorkel
h) Manually Lockable Differentials for front and rear separate
i) Extremely comfortable seats (front & rear) - way way better than the Thar
i) Arm rests for both front seats
j) Arm rest handles on the doors so both arms get to rest
k) Day & night rear view mirror - minor but huge convenience for driving at night in city/highway
l) Small compartments in the door to hold papers and small objects like phones etc
m) factory fitted 12 V charging point

The HT version of Gurkha is about 1.5 lacs more expensive (exshowroom) than the Thar, but you get all the above pluses as compared to the thar.

The other advantage over thar is that the ST frame of the Thar is a very weak component structurally and leads to lot of issues of noise, rattling etc. I am expecting the Gurkha HT to be better in that respect.

Having said all this - it is an manufacturer with a smaller footprint than Mahindra. Could there be quality issues? I am expecting that would be the case. But then if you hold quality issues as constant between Gurkha & Thar, then the Gurkha packs in a lot more value for money than the Thar.

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed the eerie similarity in terms and words used in the two reviews?

For eg:

"All said and done, the comfortable seats, the new moulded roof lining and the bright airy interiors make the Gurkha’s cabin quite a comfortable place to be in." - Zigwheels

"That said, the Gurkha's seats, its moulded roof lining and the bright, airy interiors are quite nice by off-roader standards" - ACI
Many people have quoted on this. I had the opportunity to look at a display vehicle. And yes, the vehicle lives up to the review inputs in Zigwheels and ACI ane even if they had help from the company - it is very well justified. The seats are indeed very comfortable - way way better than the Thar, its nearest competitor and the interiors, though of a cheap quality material, still provide many minor conveniences which have been overlooked in other off-roaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I hope the vehicle will have drainage outlets in the floor as earlier models.
Yes. I saw a display vehicle today and the vehicle comes with drain holes. The best part is they have provided rubber plugs for this hole so that when you drive in rains, the mud splash from below wont enter your vehicle but when you do want to wash and drain, you have the option to do so. (Major plus over the Thar - which came with drain holes left completely open and no way to source rubber plugs even in spares).

Moderator's Note: Do not make so many back to back posts. Use the Multiquote option to respond to multiple people.

All the back to back posts have been merged.
anda60213 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 16:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Oh come on. People need to stop being so tolerant of crap. THe companies know customers are accepting of low standards so they have no incentive to improve.

They sell us garbage and we do their job for them by arguing on their behalf that it has to be done for the sake of low cost even though there are all kinds of faults that are are not justifiable.

Its not done, man. If we indians are going to compete with the world, we have stop excusing ourselves and our companies low standards and excuses.
Absolutely. I have come across so many off road and jeep enthusiasts who accept factory defects as part of "Jeep Experience". Excuse me, what part of the vehicle not starting because the starter wire was loose from factory fitment be considered as "jeep experience"? How can the bolts falling off from the overhead frame connected to the B-pillar be justified? If basic nuts and bolts have not been fastened, what is the guarantee that the engine or the axle or the wheels won't just fall off because some bolt somewhere was not fastened?

Definitely when compared to 20+ lacs segment, vehicles like Thar & Gurkha provide VFM. To do so, if they have compromised on the quality of material used, provided lesser features and comforts, some fit & finish issues with the dashboard - these are one side of the story. But not assembling your product with intent to last on road and off road, leaving structural defects in the vehicle at the time of manufacturing and allowing these to be sold to unsuspecting customers - That's not cost cutting - that's downright offering a sub standard product and cheating.

And many of our Indian people have come to accept this as expected. Probably a legacy of the 70's Fiat (Premier Padmini) experience. Come on, times have changed and the basic expectations in the 70's used to be to be able to own a vehicle. The time has come when our basic expectations have to rise beyond that.
anda60213 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 18:32   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

@anda, I agree with your post completely man. I only wish Force had not spoiled the looks by adding the push up bra in front and also make the engine atleast 100 bhp.
Old 29th April 2013, 19:19   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and also make the engine atleast 100 bhp.
Hobson's choice, really - one gives you good mechanicals and a fully (even if badly) built body with an underwhelming engine, while the other gives you a good engine and underwhelming everything else.

No choice but to wait for the alleged BS4 version, I guess.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 20:18   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If force can give a 100 bhp/25 kgm engine, I will choose the Gurkha over the Thar any day as it is a lot more practical vehicle.
Old 29th April 2013, 21:22   #210
BHPian

Quote:
@anda, I agree with your post completely man. I only wish Force had not spoiled the looks by adding the push up bra in front and also make the engine atleast 100 bhp.
Quote:
Quote:
If force can give a 100 bhp/25 kgm engine, I will choose the Gurkha over the Thar any day as it is a lot more practical vehicle.
100 bhp and BSIV might not be that far off. I found a review by Overdrive in which the company has told them that they will come out with BSIV. BSIV necessarily will mean a crde engine (maybe from Force One - who knows).

I am not sure I if I am allowed to post URL to overdrive site. I am inserting it into the text of my message. Request moderator to apply their judgement as to what they want to do with this link.

http://overdrive.in/details/3175/201...ia-first-drive
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks