Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 16:14   #226
adc
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
There are a couple of points to note here:
1. When do you use a Diff Lock? - I have used this as an exception only, and that too when nothing else has worked. The rear diff locks are relatively safer to use, but should only be used when absolutely necessary. Diff Locks are certainly not something that you should engage the moment you enter a trail, and keep them on for the rest of the day. That way you are guaranteed busted axles, differentials, and what not!
Absolutely correct.

Quote:
2. How strong are the Axles? - The Gurkha Axles, specifically the Rear Axles, has an enormous Load Rating.

I had recently gotten all my axles, wheel joints, CV joints, Bearings etc checked and there is absolutely no issue. So, I guess the axles are quite strong. My vehicle is now 60K kms old.

P.S. I wouldn't pin much hopes on Gurkha with ABS.
So that then more or less settles the query. The RAW weight seemed less compared to others. But then nothing like getting feedback from a long time user ["abuser"]!

Lets see then how this vehicle is supported on the Force dealer network in the next 3-4 months and would take a call.

Last edited by adc : 14th May 2013 at 16:23.
Old 14th May 2013, 16:14   #227
Senior - BHPian

Who wrote this ?
Where does one find a 70 Deg incline Sand dune ? It would take a MiG afterburner to get any kind of vehicle up that!
Old 14th May 2013, 16:38   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If force can give a 100 bhp/25 kgm engine, I will choose the Gurkha over the Thar any day as it is a lot more practical vehicle.
Thar gives u the same spec engine. Plus ability to build your jeep as you like it. If you add front facing seats, a hard top and do up the interiors in a thar at max you may end up spending 1.5-1.7 lacs which is exactly how much a Gurkha hardtop costs over a thar. At least you have control on the quality of your thar upgrade...
Old 14th May 2013, 16:45   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Who wrote this ?
Where does one find a 70 Deg incline Sand dune ? It would take a MiG afterburner to get any kind of vehicle up that!
People often confuse between grade and degrees. They mean 70% gradient, which turns out to be just 35 degree in angle from the horizontal.

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...6113129AAupg3p
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 18:31   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
People often confuse between grade and degrees. They mean 70% gradient, which turns out to be just 35 degree in angle from the horizontal.

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...6113129AAupg3p
I meant 70 degrees, and not a 70% gradient. Also, since Shahid is from the gulf he might be visualizing a sand dune 50-100 feet high.
This is not what I meant. I was taking about a moderate 10-15 feet climb with a powdery surface akin to sand. This is very common in the Badshahpur and Tijara trails near Gurgaon.
I appreciate that my earlier choice of words may have been ambiguous.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:42   #231
Senior - BHPian

As promised a few posts earlier, here is a Mobile Video of the new Gurkha clearing the Articulation Challenge on Sunday, without breaking a sweat.

I did this in my vehicle in the morning; alas, there was no one to shoot!

P.S. I seem to have forgotten how to Embed a Video.

Last edited by bblost : 15th May 2013 at 00:22. Reason: embedded youtube video.
roy_libran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 23:24   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As promised a few posts earlier, here is a Mobile Video of the new Gurkha clearing the Articulation Challenge on Sunday, without breaking a sweat.
http://Youtu.be/CgMrkc2-Snc
Dear Roy,
Thanks a lot for sharing this video.
Ain't this test more like a "made to order" for a front and rear diff. lock equipped vehicle. The only way an open differential vehicle would cross this is if it has some serious articulation, ins't it?

Quote:
I meant 70 degrees, and not a 70% gradient.
Woww! 70 degrees is some serious gradient. Are you sure about the angle here?
For attempting a trail with 70 degree inclination which is just 15 feet long and our vehicle being already 12 feet long, won't you clip your front or rear over-hang due to limiting approach & departure angles of your vehicle.

Nevertheless, a fantastic video. Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 14th May 2013, 23:38   #233
Team-BHP Support

Can we have a pic of 70 degrees slope which Gurkha climbed. Usually such steep slopes are difficult challenges in trails designed for custom build dune buggies with 300+HP engines.
Old 15th May 2013, 00:09   #234
BHPian

Am sure no one sat down with a protractor to measure the exact angle. Get over it !

The point being communicated is on the capabilities which are evident.
Old 15th May 2013, 00:42   #235
adc
Senior - BHPian

From http://forcegurkha.co.in/specifications.php

Name:  power_7.png
Views: 1687
Size:  38.2 KB

"The Gurkha has best in class gradability and can negotiate gradients up to 40° (84% grade) in Low 4x4."

More or less things look okay in this vehicle other than that front end, for which ugly would be an understatement.

Great warranty too. NVH looks quite controlled, though just based on what heard on the videos.

Of all things I dont like that steering column not being tilt adjustable [i.e., may not be comfortable for long drives] and more importantly not collapsible [safety on highway/surviving a collision] After all to go to most remote places on travel would require driving on highway from anywhere 24 to 48 hrs - the transport section of a travel.

Last edited by adc : 15th May 2013 at 01:06.
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 01:13   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Am sure no one sat down with a protractor to measure the exact angle. Get over it !

The point being communicated is on the capabilities which are evident.
It is evident? How? I too like to look at the 70 degree climb, I didn't know Indian vehicles can do that.
Old 15th May 2013, 02:37   #237
Senior - BHPian

Samurai is right. There is difference in grade-ability when expressed in angles or in %, i.e. 'x' degrees and 'x' % are not the same . Elementary stuff really, not even worth discussing here. But it is good that Samurai noticed it.

70 degree gradient capability would mean, it is time for manufacturers of 4wd's (most of them) all over the world to kiss the market goodbye !

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 15th May 2013 at 02:39.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 08:37   #238
Senior - BHPian

I will have to go out again and get pictures of the 70 degree slope. Yes I do clip the rear end of the vehicle, but my footrest takes care of it. And Yes, I don't have a protractor either, so my angles may be as good or as bad as my Geometry.

By the way, the first picture is one of a 25-30 degree gentle long slope on the Badshahpur trail.

The Second picture is that of a very short 30 degree slope. This is not an obstacle, and someone was just climbing this with Zero Throttle Inputs.

The Last picture is that of a shorter but steeper 40-45 degree slope on the Bandhwadi trail. The start of the slope in fact is a lot steeper for about 2-3 feet and then it is gentler. The base of the slope also has a couple of boulders that make it difficult to choose the correct approach and maintain momentum. Pic credit - Aman Bhutani.
The Gurkha makes it up these easily even with the Highway Tyres that I run on! I have even done the Third climb in Monsoons, when the surface was very slippery.

Moreover, it is a bit difficult to capture the actual angles and difficulty levels though, through pictures. Many obstacles that we see off-road, come out looking like plain ground in pictures, because of the lack of depth.

About the Max. Gradeability that manufacturers put out - The way I understood Max. Gradeability was the Slope that the vehicle can tackle comfortably without losing momentum. I'm open to being corrected on this.

P.S. The order of pictures may not be right. Hopefully one can understand which is which.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-nioc01oct11_2.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkha-4.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkha-0.jpg  

Last edited by roy_libran : 15th May 2013 at 08:52.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 09:29   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is AWESOME. Really commendable. And it's MADE IN INDIA!!!

BTW, would Thar be able to do this?

I also realy liked the lake crossing video - no drama, no splashes, slow, steady and elegant. But I have been trying learn about the real life water fording capability of these things and I am seeing that these pictures/videos are often "priceless", in the sense what happens after the shoot never comes out (e.g. water in the diff, axle bearings, transmission, starter motor, etc - a lot of price to pay ). Any idea what's the reality of Gurkha? Does it come with well designed breather tubes and seals for the diffs, gear-box, etc? How will the axle bearing survive water fording?

Cheers!
Old 15th May 2013, 10:04   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
...in the sense what happens after the shoot never comes out (e.g. water in the diff, axle bearings, transmission, starter motor, etc - a lot of price to pay ). Any idea what's the reality of Gurkha? Does it come with well designed breather tubes and seals for the diffs, gear-box, etc? How will the axle bearing survive water fording?...
Interesting question, Anand.

Roy_libran: can you please share where are the breathers located in a stock vehicle? Hope they are extended to somewhere higher.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks