Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 20:11   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
They say that ignorance is bliss. Things are a lot different in the industry, my friend. Your flow of imagination might mean jack to the guys who hired you, so then you have no way out apart from succumbing to their demands, however twisted or contorted they might look to your "design-savvy" eyes.

Unless you're DC, Chris Bangle or Henrik Fisker. Even when you're freelancing as a designer, a client's requirements MUST hold top priority, and if required, you have to adapt and bend your ways a bit. Harnessing your imagination to it's fullest as a designer is best practiced when you're studying design, not when you're in the industry working under some authority.

P.S. He's an ex IIT-ian.
..And he lands up a job with FM? and that too with strings attached!

Designs have to flow naturally or are inspired, they have to practical and functional. Not forced upon!

Gurkha II has been concieved by the pen pushers and not enthusiasts.

Its been offered with certain plus points over Thar, which could make it a better option over Thar, but it remains to be seen how the A.S.S. of FM supports it and how many people buy it.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th May 2013 at 20:22. Reason: Rule #14
Old 17th May 2013, 20:22   #272
Senior - BHPian

A post on de-uglification:

Old Matador design Grille and front panel set is available for 500 bucks. Yes!
The steel bumper, as in the older Gurkha is also easily available for cheap, although I wouldn't recommend it.
My recommendation would be a custom made bumper that can house a winch with fairlead.
Round headlights are available for that size from Force parts stockists.

And voila, you can get something very similar to the original for very little money.

I hope this helps at least someone.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 20:41   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
And voila, you can get something very similar to the original for very little money.

I was going to ask that actually.
But how will round headlamps retrofit?
Old 17th May 2013, 20:48   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

I was going to ask that actually.
But how will round headlamps retrofit?
Sorry, I don't have an answer immediately. I'll have to check this. Last I went to get some spares these panels were shown to me. I was excited that I can change my rectangular facia to round headlamps as of old. I suspect that some minor modification would be required to fasten the headlamps. The headlamps, though fit the panel cutouts perfectly.
Old 17th May 2013, 20:50   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Its been offered with certain plus points over Thar, which could make it a better option over Thar, but it remains to be seen how the A.S.S. of FM supports it and how many people buy it.
Maybe we should wait till the product actually hits the market and is properly evaluated before we speculate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
A post on de-uglification:

Why stop there? Spend some moolah and bling it up to G Wagen spec.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mercedes-g-grill

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mercedes-ben...ass-headlights

Wonder what the Thar boys will have to moan about after that?!

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 20:58   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Why stop there? Spend some moolah and bling it up to G Wagen spec.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mercedes-g-grill

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mercedes-ben...ass-headlights

Wonder what the Thar boys will have to moan about after that?!

Cheers
Modification = f(moolah, vision)
Sky is the limit.
A few days back a Gurkha from Bihar was in Delhi undergoing mods to install a Water tank. The vehicle already has a mini kitchen at the back, collapsible tent on the top etc. It can still seat 5. I didn't take any pics without permission though.
Try doing all this on a Thar.
Old 17th May 2013, 21:01   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
They say that ignorance is bliss. Things are a lot different in the industry, my friend. Your flow of imagination might mean jack to the guys who hired you, so then you have no way out apart from succumbing to their demands, however twisted or contorted they might look to your "design-savvy" eyes.

Unless you're DC, Chris Bangle or Henrik Fisker. Even when you're freelancing as a designer, a client's requirements MUST hold top priority, and if required, you have to adapt and bend your ways a bit. Harnessing your imagination to it's fullest as a designer is best practiced when you're studying design, not when you're in the industry working under some authority.
Absolutely! +1 Ayan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
..And he lands up a job with FM? and that too with strings attached!

Designs have to flow naturally or are inspired, they have to practical and functional. Not forced upon!

Gurkha II has been concieved by the pen pushers and not enthusiasts.
Sirjee, Every job has strings attached. For people like BD at M&M there were strings attached for Thar, why would you think there won't be at FM?

And why undermine FM? The most probable reason why he chose FM was with the hope that he would get relatively more freedom to express his design than in a bigger company like TML/MM, i guess.

Design can flow naturally when you are the one running the company. If not, i don't see how/where you get such a free hand with your design. It is always influenced by time/cost/demand + overwritten/corrected by your so called pen pushers.

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 21:53   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post

Sirjee, Every job has strings attached. For people like BD at M&M there were strings attached for Thar, why would you think there won't be at FM?

And why undermine FM? The most probable reason why he chose FM was with the hope that he would get relatively more freedom to express his design than in a bigger company like TML/MM, i guess.

Design can flow naturally when you are the one running the company. If not, i don't see how/where you get such a free hand with your design. It is always influenced by time/cost/demand + overwritten/corrected by your so called pen pushers.

Cheers,
Deepak
By strings i meant in terms of the design of the vehicle, not the mechanical parts or engine etc. Mechanical parts do have the influence of time/cost/demand, but the design of the Gurkha II im sure is 90% same as the Gurkha I and externally its just a facelift. So whats the Big deal to save time/cost/deman in designing a bumper?

The Gurkha II front bumper is NOT a functional or practical design for world's first EOV 4x4x4, the same way Thar rear two piece bumper and the registration plate fixed on it!

Im sure the Gurkha II NEW LOOK bumper is pedestrian safe design.

BD had issues no with the design of the vehicle (Thar), its the platform and the mechanicals which were issues for him. Similarly the Gurkha II is utilising the body of Gurkha I with additional features.

Last edited by Parm : 17th May 2013 at 21:54.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:05   #279
BHPian

There is news that the BS4 is ready and waiting marketing launch.
Old 18th May 2013, 22:08   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anda60213 View Post
There is news that the BS4 is ready and waiting marketing launch.
What made FM ready the the BS4 Gurkha II for the launch?
Old 19th May 2013, 22:11   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting video depicting the capabilities of Gurkha:
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 09:12   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
An interesting video depicting the capabilities of Gurkha:
I think the video/demo was for the Indian Army to test and evaluate the Gurkha I.

I would have prefered the 4 door GI over the 2 door GII.

Last edited by Parm : 20th May 2013 at 09:16.
Old 20th May 2013, 14:29   #283
BHPian

I test-drove the New Gurkha on 11th May 2013 at a offroad track in Noida/Greater Noida. I did not get an opportunity to drive it on road.

I am an Ex-Gurkha owner. My Gurkha is now with Roy_Libran on this forum.

Here are my views based on the offroad track test ONLY -

Things I liked:
  • I for one like the looks of new New Gurkha. The new headlamps look smart. The plastic grill is a bit odd but overall the vehicle looks smart and imposing.
  • The New colors are sure welcome as older Gurkha was only available in Black.
  • Interiors are marginally better with new two tone dash and new style steering wheel.
  • The seats are FAR better than the old versions.
  • The engine felt quieter and more responsive
  • The 4wd Level is easier to engage - I did not have to use both hands like with the older version
  • The older Gurkha was very stable. The New suspension feels far superior in stability and roll! Big improvement offroad was that the front end does NOT bob up and down when going up bumpy inclines anymore.
  • The ECU has a stall sensor which is very useful. Just select 4L put it in 2nd/1st and just hold the steering. The vehicle will do the articulation ramp on its own!! In fact it will do most obstacles on its own!! It just crawls like a tank through most terrains
Things I disliked:
  • The steering is still toooo upright - like a truck/bus.
  • I felt the seat was lower than the previous versions and I was sitting slightly knees-up position while driving. (I am 5'10")
  • Akward driving position - combination of low seat & high upright steering
  • I would have liked more power... did not feel like an significant increase over previous version
  • The gearbox is still as vague and still fights you when you try to engage any gear.
  • The clutch is still as heavy.
  • The AC was ineffective as slow speeds.

To sum up, I think the New Gurkha is a better vehicle and a slightly more user friendly in some ways. Only time will tell how is stands up to abuse.

If I wanted a brand new 2nd/3rd vehicle for OTRs in a budget of 9-10L, I would definately consider the Gurkha. It IS very good offroad.

I never liked it on-road. I feel that you have to be slightly heavier/stronger built to be able to use a Gurkha everyday in bumper to bumper city traffic.

Last edited by GoSlow : 20th May 2013 at 14:59.
GoSlow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 15:32   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
[*]The steering is still toooo upright - like a truck/bus.
Wasnt this the case for the old one too? Or is it worse now?
Old 20th May 2013, 16:55   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am an Ex-Gurkha owner. My Gurkha is now with Roy_Libran on this forum.
And thanks to you for such a pristine piece. I tried for more than a year to get Force to sell me one, but they were totally unwilling to take an order.

Quote:
[*]The 4wd Level is easier to engage - I did not have to use both hands like with the older version
I NEVER need to use 2 hands on the 4WD lever.

Quote:
[*]The older Gurkha was very stable. The New suspension feels far superior in stability and roll! Big improvement offroad was that the front end does NOT bob up and down when going up bumpy inclines anymore.
Agreed. But, our vehicle had the front set up too high. I have since, reduced this and since then the bobbing has reduced, leading to much better composure.

Quote:
[*]The steering is still toooo upright - like a truck/bus.
Agreed. The older Gurkha steering position is significantly better.

Quote:
[*]I felt the seat was lower than the previous versions and I was sitting slightly knees-up position while driving. (I am 5'10")
Agreed, that it was not as comfortable.

Quote:
[*]Akward driving position - combination of low seat & high upright steering
Agreed, but not bad enough to be a deal breaker.

Quote:
[*]The gearbox is still as vague and still fights you when you try to engage any gear.
Nyet! The Gearbox in our Gurkha slots in smoothly. Yes, the throws are long, but the slotting is smooth and precise. You may not have been pressing the clutch completely.

Quote:
[*]The clutch is still as heavy.
Nyet! I find it light, way lighter than the one on my Logan. The Logan clutch, sometimes tires me in snail slow traffic, but not this one. Maybe I benefit from my greater weight on this count.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks