Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2013, 20:53   #76
BHPian

Re: The "Low Mileage" Car Thread! How low is your running?

^^Bro this thread is is not regarding fuel efficiency of the car, this thread is for the car which have clocked low km on their odo over a span of many years.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 00:02   #77
BHPian

Sorry folks, thought the thread was regarding fuel efficiency.

By the way, i bought my '08 civic with 28500 kms on the odo in January '13. It is now at 30000km. Translating to only around 400 km/month.

The '07 NHC (120000km) and '09 Santro (50000) has clocked quite a lot of kms.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Bought our trusty Santro in 2003 and up until the end of 2010 it had not done more than 25000 kilometers. This car was meant for my mom who used to live in India for 6 months and spend the rest in the US. She was very comfortable driving big 7 seater vans and SUV's abroad, but couldn't find the courage to drive the humble Santro on Indian roads mainly because of our wonky traffic sense.

Fast forward April 2013, and the Santro has run close to 56k, albeit under my hands, but it still runs great. I think this one's a keeper. Not planning on selling it until I hit the million mark

The latest addition to our garage, the i20, will mostly follow the Santro's fate!
Old 8th April 2013, 11:05   #79
BHPian

Hi ,

Don't worry , you are not alone. My stats are as below

Ford Ikon 2003 model : 35,000 kms till date
Ford Fiesta 2009 model : 17,000 kms till date

That does not make us less car enthusiast , it's just that we don't drive as much as we should be , that keeps us craving for more good drives

Regards
Amol
Old 8th April 2013, 11:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
... And the car still continues run beautifully with good performance & rattles only on moonscape. I believe by the end of this year I would be nearing 90k kms on the odo & may be there would be clutch change only. But, I wish people riding/ driving on road had more brains these days , as at times it is difficult to say who is a sane driver.
Took time to get the car checked at a trusty mechanic yesterday, & he confirmed that there is no problem with the clutch & will not need replacement sooner. Got other things checked & everything was fine except few nuts & bolts that were tightened & the car will need touch up for the scars caused by self & others' mistakes.

Resulting, almost everyone was pleasantly surprised at the reliability of the Korean car, which has never put anyone in any problem or uncomfortable situation, whatever roads or no roads & loads/ duties we have put the car to .

I am more happy, as I had recommended the car over Wagon-R at the time of purchase, & it hasn't let us down a single time, & there hasn't been a niggle or fault either during the last 9.5 years.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Pathetic Traffic Jams which not only are frustrating but also WASTE a lot of time.
This one is a real problem for me too.

Quote:
Not enough travel distance to workplace.
This I do have but I prefer to bike it to save time and money.

Quote:
Not enough time/ energy to go for an outing after work.
I have time after work but no energy after the 28km motorcycle trip.

Quote:
High Fuel Costs.
This is a problem for me too.

Quote:
Parking Issues like in market/ malls etc.
Safe parking is absolutely important for me. I am not at peace if my car is not safe. I have given up on malls though I do end up visiting them once in a while for the sake of a family outing. I hate malls or even getting out on weekends. Most malls in my city are worse than fish markets.

It was only yesterday, I went grocery shopping with the car as the stuff to carry was too much. My wife & I decided to grab breakfast from a local joint. When we got there, the parking was tight and my car would have to stand in the sun which is another problem I have. My wife understands my concern with the car so we decided to head home, drop the car and come back on the bike as the distance was just 2km. I was at so much peace having breakfast.

Quote:
Due to these factors, my car has been mostly reduced just into a weekend car. It is used on the weekdays only if going places is really necessary at night like to visit the relatives, parties etc, to get household stuff from markets, during rains, winters, etc.
Spot on. My car is a strict weekend car too. The thought of taking it to work is so tempting but is completely ruined when I think of the mad traffic and 1.5 hour commute to deal with.

Quote:
For most other purposes, I find my bike much more convenient & cost saving. Also, I can withstand a scratch on my bike, albeit with a heavy heart, but not on my car
On the bike, Absolutely. Nothing beats it.

On the scratch bit, it seems a whole lot easier to land a scratch on your car even when its standing still.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 12:02   #82
BHPian

Love this thread. I bought my i10 from Trivandrum back in Mar 2012. Till Dec 2012 which is about 9 months, I barely did 2500 kms. Now I have shifted to Chennai for the past 4 months and now she has done about 8000 kms!
Old 8th April 2013, 14:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread idea.

I have 2 cars to report here. 1st is a my 2004 Ikon Flair which has done 65K km in close to 9 years of ownership. Thats about 7.5K km / yr. Not too low by this thread's standards but definitely not very high either for city like Bangalore. This is despite lot of highway weekend trips. The main difference I think is commute. My commute one way has always been about 7-8 kms which keeps the overall kms down.

My Dad's 2007 Santro has done 26K km translates into about 4K km per year. That car is usually left parked for 6-7 months in a stretch when my parents come live with me.

As expected what our experience has been that as long as car is kept running on regular basis even if kms are less, it stays in good shape. But car left parked unused for months usually has issues with battery going dead, tyres hardening and cracking despite low usage.
Old 8th April 2013, 14:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Our Santro Xing AT: ~66600 km on the Odo with a 19 September 2003 registration. That translates to ~555 km of driving per month
The main reason for this level of mileage is our propensity to use the Santro every alternate week- because we have another car. Secondly I recall that in 2004 it was hardly driven, in 2005 ,2006 and much of 2009 it was driven sparingly.
Old 8th April 2013, 16:58   #85
BHPian

My 1999 Indica DLE.

13 years and 36000 kms. I drove it for close to 18000 kms between 1999-2002, then I left home for hyderabad. Both my parents get chauffeured to work and no one drives the indica much.

I brought the car back to hyderabad last month and have already clocked 3k kms now.

PS: the color is factory original used to be called "Forest Green"
Attached Thumbnails
The "Low Mileage" Car Thread! How low is your running?-tbhp_img_1090.jpg  

adityasiera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 17:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

I know one family. They owned their car for 10 years. Guess how many kms they must have done?? They clocked 8000 kms in 10 years. I think that's a really low running for any car.

I have clocked 27000 kms in 3.5 years on my Dzire. Do i qualify for low running category??
Old 8th April 2013, 17:44   #87
BHPian

I own a SWIFT Dec 2005, and so far it has done little more than 18500 Kms. I use my car for a couple of hundred kms every alternate month.
Old 8th April 2013, 17:58   #88
BHPian

Interesting thread bhpians...

Though I am really feeling embarrassed to post on this thread being a Bhpian and having love for driving. I got my Honda Jazz in April 2009. It is the only vehicle I have and driven solely by me.
It has clocked 12000 km till now and considering the fact that I live in Delhi/NCR it is really low. The reason for this low count are plenty though.

First of all I get individual office cabs for commuting to office (being a client based job all expenses are borne by client) and there is no reason to drive own car in crazy traffic of Delhi. Secondly I am still single so travel every third weekend or so to my hometown and the car is in parking space for that weekend. Then not being from Delhi and though spent almost more than 4 years in delhi I still find the Delhi roads confusing and have fear to take out my car on unknown areas. I prefer to go by metro or autoricks if the area is new. Then there is rising petrol costs and parking tensions on weekends.
And lastly I am in Hyderabad for last four months due to work and my Jazz is sitting idle at my hometown with no-one to drive the beauty.

Most of the miles are clocked on weekend trips outside Delhi

I hope to make up for all this when I get back to Delhi.
Old 8th April 2013, 18:26   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
My 1999 Indica DLE.

PS: the color is factory original used to be called "Forest Green"
Hey Aditya, that should be the first generation Indica...isn't it? Looks like it has aged well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Badguy> View Post
Interesting thread bhpians...

Though I am really feeling embarrassed to post on this thread being a Bhpian and having love for driving.
No need to get embarrassed Badguy! As someone on this thread said that if we drive our cars less, it does not mean that we are less of enthusiasts!
Cheers!
Old 8th April 2013, 19:23   #90
BHPian

I thought our 2003 Accent had low mileage... After going thru this thread it seems it has clocked decent numbers. The ODO is at 65K now.

Reason: There were 2 more cars back home, which did more running than this car. As this was the first NEW car, it was 'babied'. Was used mostly for long drives.

Most Viewed