Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 22:38   #526
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

Went to the nearby showroom for a short drive of the Elite i20 on outer ring road and I have come back very very impressed.

The interiors are a huge step up in premiumness. Even though there are no soft touch plastics, the design and look is top class. The beige dash is actually exaggerated in photos. It's a very dark beige and I did not get any irritating reflections in the windshield.

It looks massive from the outside and it's hard to believe that length is 10mm lesser than older i20. Looks like a premium euro hatch.

Space at the back is far far improved from the older i20. I could sit comfortably behind myself which is rarely possible in most cars including my Ecosport. Front seats have long travel range in terms of height adjust as well as forward/backward range. Was able to get my usual lowest seating position easily.

I could only drive the 1.2L petrol as they didn't have the diesel for test drive yet. The NVH levels are even lower than the older i20. It pulls easily at low speeds and is quite peppy. The engine doesn't like to be revved hard but it is possible to push it. Taking speed breakers in second gear wasn't a problem. The refinement and smoothness at regular speeds was really amazing.

I didn't cross 70-80kmph on the ORR so can't say much about high speed composure but till 80kmph this did not feel like a Hyundai. The suspension has a hint of firmness about it and you do feel it but it's almost euro like. Steering was light but there is improvement over the older i20 even here. It's not lifeless but still light. People love Hyundai steerings for the light feel which allows them to twirl the wheel with one finger and this retains that aspect. The ride was not like Polo but it works well for our roads. Even on the ORR flyover expansion joints it did not bounce up and down like the Verna. It easily betters the Verna on ride quality!!

Overall it's an excellent package and I don't think any other hatchback comes close to the overall package this new i20 offers.

After driving this, I take back my earlier post. I would choose this Elite i20 over the Xcent or Grand i10 any day. The price difference between Xcent and Elite i20 is 2,000 rupees for top end Asta vs SX(O). Other than the 120 litre additional boot space, the i20 beats the Xcent comprehensively. Infact, it feels better than the Verna. The Verna now feels old compared to this i20.

Prices on-road bangalore:
Asta 1.2L P - 8.01L
Sportz (O) - 7.7L
Sportz - 7.3L

Asta 1.4L CRDI - 9.4L

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th August 2014 at 23:53.
Vid6639 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 23:49   #527
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After driving this, I take back my earlier post. I would choose this Elite i20 over the Xcent or Grand i10 any day.
Nice.

Looks like I'll have to swallow my words after a TD as well, however my initial impressions were from the showroom experience of my parents - which should show hold an older generation thinks of this hatch / sedan competition.

Looks like Hyundai has played their cards wisely. Get a sedan / premium hatch for the same money. Incase of diesel, Xcent is at a big disadvantage compared to the i20 thanks to the smaller displacement, but you pay less as well -

Xcent SX(o) Petrol - 6.59
i20 Asta Petrol - 6.58

Xcent SX(o) Diesel - 7.55
i20 Asta Diesel - 7.80

*All prices ex-showroom Bangalore.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th August 2014 at 00:10. Reason: Edited qouted part since qouted post has been corrected later
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 05:59   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the short, helpful feedback.

We also noticed that the driver's seat height can be adjusted to be lower than that of the front passenger's. The down-side is that the rear passenger (behind the driver) will find it a tad difficult to stretch his feet underneath the driver's seat.

The on-road price in Bangalore quoted (by all dealers in B'lore) is without the 3rd year extended warranty. The extended warranty is ~9K. Also was told that the warranty is unlimted kms
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 08:24   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Went to the nearby showroom for a short drive of the Elite i20 on outer ring road and I have come back very very impressed.
So, Hyundai has crossed the biggest hurdle with the new generation. Can't wait for a full blown review. If only we didn't have the stupid 4m rule! The Euro spec looks so much neater with the full size bumpers.

Both the new hatchbacks, i10 and i20 have very predictable ride and handling. I am sure this will happen with the new Verna as well.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 10:36   #530
Senior - BHPian

So, looks like Hyundai has improved the ride and handling considerably which was the main issue with the previous car though it might not be up to the standards of a Polo or a Punto. Also, the rear leg space has been improved which along with rear AC vents makes it a very complete package. This along with the great looking interiors and exteriors truly makes it the best package in the premium hatchback segment.
The petrol engine will feel okay in city speeds..where it will struggle is in the open highways particularly under fully loaded.
@vid - How does the rear space compare with the likes of Jazz or Vista (the spacious hatchbacks)?

Overall, a great effort by Hyundai.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 10:47   #531
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai are serious about listening to customer feedback, and incorporating changes in subsequent facelifts and new generation models.

Take the air-conditioner of the i20. The original i20 (pre-facelift) often had owners complaining that the A/C was not very effective at cooling down the cabin in the hot Indian summers. This was because Hyundai used the same Euro-spec A/C for the Indian model, and it simply wasn't enough for the terrible conditions here. All engine options of the i20 originally came with a 90cc compressor.

This was rectified during the facelift, thankfully! The i-gen i20 had its A/C suitably modified for Indian conditions. Cars with the 1.4 CRDi engine came with a larger 122cc compressor, and a better condenser too. The 1.2 Kappa petrol cars still featured a 90cc compressor, but the air-con's cooling ability was enhanced, thanks to the use of an upgraded condenser - even larger than the one on the diesel, for enhanced heat rejection. The 1.4 Gamma (Automatic) cars had the best air-conditioners, for they featured both the larger 122cc compressor of the 1.4 CRDi and the larger condenser of the 1.2 Kappa.

The Elite i20 seems to be even better in this regard! Now, there is no difference between the A/C units on the 1.2 Kappa petrol and the 1.4 U2 diesel. Both feature a 122cc compressor, and the capacity of the refrigerant has also gone up from 450g to 470g now:

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-image.jpg

Also, the European i20 is going to feature a different 1.4 lit. petrol engine. The current car's older 1396cc Gamma (Single) VTVT has made way for the more modern and refined 1368cc Kappa Dual VTVT. There is not much difference in the power and torque figures, but the modern Kappa's refinement and FE improvement would be most welcome!

I hope Hyundai also offer the 1.4 Kappa engine with an automatic gearbox in India. A 1.4 CRDi Automatic would be even better, as it meets the criteria for the lower excise slab (which a 1.4 petrol would not).

Quote:
Thank you for the observations!

Hyundai seem to have addressed all the issues I have with the i-gen i20. The biggest one was the soft suspension, which is very cushy at low speeds, but becomes bouncy at high speed, and crashes through sharp bumps. A firm-ish long travel suspension is what it needed, and the Elite i20 seems to have got it!

The next one was the rear room, especially with tall occupants in front. The increase in wheelbase seems to have done the trick here, by making the rear seat spacious even for tall folks.

I feel the light steering is a big boon at city speeds. The only problem was it remained light even when the speeds increased. Thankfully, the Elite i20's steering seems to weigh up enough at higher speeds.

It's good to know that the cabin feels even more premium now, without any reflection from the beige section. The car's refinement was already a USP, and it's amazing that they have improved it even further. Although I have no complaints with the Kappa 1.2 VTVT petrol's performance in most conditions, I'm happy that it has been improved too. Altered gear ratios and a slightly different ECU map seem to have done the trick here.

Well done to Hyundai for ironing out all weaknesses and making the car a very complete, all-round package now!

Last edited by RSR : 18th August 2014 at 11:15.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 11:58   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
@vid - How does the rear space compare with the likes of Jazz or Vista (the spacious hatchbacks)?

Overall, a great effort by Hyundai.
SPace wise the Jazz is still the king. Vista I am not sure but I'm sure the Bolt will be better knowing Tata give a lot of emphasis on rear seat. The Elite i20 will come close.

What I can say is that it is better than my Ecosport for sure. The incline angle was perfect as well.

Another point I forgot to mention was the build quality. Doors felt solid and not tinny like the current Honda's. Even the new City didn't feel as good inside as this i20. Doors had the 3 step ala euro cars and closed solidly. A tap on the outer door skin did not give a metallic sound.

I went and sat in a Santa Fe and was surprised to see stuff like indicator stalks were exactly the same in Elite i20 and Santa Fe. Good for the i20 buyer but Santa Fe buyer may not like it. The Elite i20 had the electrochromatic mirror with the reverse camera screen. Guess what in the Santa Fe, it had a day and night toggle switch.

If they had an automatic in diesel, I would replace my Altis with this for my dad!! It was that good. I don't need the boot space and this car was as comfortable as my 5 year old Altis.

After driving the Elite i20, I got into my Ecosport and for the first 10 minutes, it felt like a tractor. lol.

I mentioned this in the Polo thread but I think I'm getting old. These soft smooth, refined cars seem to appeal to me more than seat of the pants feel.

I am sure an enthusiast will not like this car but there's no denying the overall package for the mass market is unbeatable.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 13:58   #533
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I hope Hyundai also offer the 1.4 Kappa engine with an automatic gearbox in India.
There is no mention of it in the press release. Maybe its made to order. Here's a tweet by Senior Editor of Motoring World!
Also the media drive is happening today in Jodhpur.

Name:  elite.png
Views: 4560
Size:  44.6 KB
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 14:07   #534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
There is no mention of it in the press release. Maybe its made to order. Here's a tweet by Senior Editor of Motoring World!

Attachment 1275680
They did the same with the Grand i10. Even with the Xcent.

Automatic version was released within a month of launch. Part of Hyundai's strategy to stop the media from getting their hands on the AT variants? Afterall, its not cutting edge technology they have on offer!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 14:16   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Couldnt agree more on whatever qualities you have mentioned of the Elite i20. The only thing which i noticed was that the rear seat can probably seat only 2 people comfortably beacause of the seat design and the shoulder space definitely felt less compared to my Punto.

Did anyone else feel the same?
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 14:24   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

Attachment 1275680
Just got off the phone with a sales advisor from Shreenath Hyundai, according to him there is no automatic model available and neither has the company shared any information about the same. Very confusing and conflicting indeed! I wonder where this particular journo is getting his info from.
Old 18th August 2014, 14:42   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentscreamers View Post
Just got off the phone with a sales advisor from Shreenath Hyundai, according to him there is no automatic model available and neither has the company shared any information about the same. Very confusing and conflicting indeed! I wonder where this particular journo is getting his info from.
I talked to my SA about the automatic when I booked my car he was pretty sure that due to ni excise cut and excessive cost of the 1.4 AT hyundai does not plan to launch an AT version. He was telling me tu hi for the grand if I was interested in AT.

This was at the Hyundai Motor Plaza Mathura Road Delhi which is I think the biggest hyundai dealer in the region.

Last edited by ToyotaFan : 18th August 2014 at 14:46.
Old 18th August 2014, 14:52   #538
Senior - BHPian

Did back to back td's yesterday. Hyundai showroom did not have a demo car for test drive yesterday in Prabhadevi!!

Not impressed with the interior space = cramped! to much dashboard and trim surrounding the passengers making knee room and leg room at very high premium! read interior space cramped. Car looks nice design wise which seems to have been hyundai's sole focus this time round. Test drove the new tata zest earlier, came away impressed with the interior room, legroom, head room and overall sense of comfort. Tata has taken the game really high on refinement, finish, and performance. Drove the diesel and the clutch behaviour was in Honda petrol category, yes that light. Refinement to was on par with more expensive sedan read Honda etc. The suspension was really good for bad roads, and had character akin to sedan several categories up. Only grouse sometimes the gear shifter refuses to accept inputs if shifts are instant/made in ultra fast driving/feeding of inputs. I think tata has a winner on their hand. This is the best so far in a Indian car since I got my license 22 years ago.

I am looking forward to the test driving the AMT diesel tata zest soon

Last edited by canonball : 18th August 2014 at 14:54.
Old 18th August 2014, 15:30   #539
BHPian

Quote:
How long is the clutch travel in the Elite i20, compared to the previous version ? The previous one had a mile long clutch travel, which probably was the only major flaw, in an otherwise fine car.
Old 18th August 2014, 15:38   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
...The on-road price in Bangalore quoted (by all dealers in B'lore) is without the 3rd year extended warranty...
So the extended warranty is ONLY for (3rd) 1 year? Would have been nice to have it for 4 years atleast.

Quote:
...If they had an automatic in diesel, I would replace my Altis with this for my dad!! It was that good. I don't need the boot space and this car was as comfortable as my 5 year old Altis...
I think that says a lot about the product. No wonder Hyundai keeps growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
...Not impressed with the interior space = cramped! to much dashboard and trim surrounding the passengers making knee room and leg room at very high premium! read interior space cramped...
Space at a premium? Even the older i20 has pretty good space in the rear. Looks like you are so smitten by Zest that you are NOT able to see even what is better in the Elite i20 (compared to Zest).
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks