Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 14:16   #421
BANNED

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

I am really confused which one to buy Polo or the i20 elite. :(
I presume Polo would be a little expensive to maintain than i20 elite but offers more safety on the other hand.
Guys any suggestions ?
Old 11th August 2014, 14:18   #422
BHPian

Really disappointed. Missing Airbags/ABS missing in the lower variants (even as ‘optional’) is totally unacceptable.
rahul412 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:23   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hyundai have surely done a good job with respect to adding some segment first features again, like :

- Driver Armrest
- 1 GB internal storage

They have also adopted the 'European Look' design on their Elite.

OT - So, VW & Honda Engineers in India are the only ones who feel Safety does not come at a price.
OT+ : I think you missed FORD (Fiesta), which provides all safety features as standard on all variants.

I kinda like the Elite i20, but I personally prefer the Polo facelift than this one, as that qualifies to be a proper facelift to me, from looks to engines.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:23   #424
BHPian

No DRL in any version.

Also the antenna looks from early 80's. Did they borrow it from Maruti ??
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-in_pip_ei20_gallery_11.jpg

What made me was this. I mean seriously ???? Truly non-negotiable indeed
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-untitled.jpg

BTW. This also confirms that Elite-i20 is replacing 2012-i20 completely. There is no simultaneous sale of both the version. You'll be forced to miss out on many of the features which you liked in the 2012 model.
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-untitled-1.jpg

Last edited by g_saunak : 11th August 2014 at 14:32.
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:39   #425
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Good pricing! Not too different from the outgoing model, though some feature changes are present across trim levels.

Variant-wise, the Era & Magna are pretty loaded for lower trim levels, but they sadly come without safety features.

Thankfully, the well-equipped middle variants in the form of the Sportz and Sportz(O) do get safety features in the form of a driver airbag and ABS (with EBD). These two variants offer superb value-for-money, and have some useful features (rear camera with electro-chromic mirror, auto-retractable electrically folding mirrors, true keyless entry & push button start, rear A/C vents, front armrest) that aren't present even on the top-end variants of direct competitors. A couple of direct competitors also have middle variants without any safety features at all.

The i20 Asta continues to be the most feature-laden hatchback (< ₹ 2 million) in the market today, at least in petrol guise. Only the Nissan Micra dCi XV Premium has a feature that the i20 CRDi Asta sorely misses, and that is a couple of side airbags. It also has FE calculations on the MID, as do some other competitors as well.

Hyundai should re-introduce the Asta(O) model as soon as possible. They started the trend by offering 6 airbags in a sub-1 million rupee hatchback, and they should continue with it till the others catch up. And a driver airbag should have been made standard across the range, as also LED DRLs and auto-locking doors.

The diesel engine continues in the exact same state of tune (90PS & 22.4 kgm) with its unique-in-the-segment 6-speed gearbox.

The petrol engine sees a negligible change in tune. It now produces 83PS (against the earlier 84), but the torque is now rated at 11.7 kgm (against the earlier 11.6 kgm), both produced at the same rpms as earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think Hyundai has hit nail on the head with its pricing of Elite i20.
Yeah! The prices are on expected lines, with only a marginal increase across the lower variants, and a small increase on the Asta variants.

Quote:
Surprisingly pricing of Sportz (O) was not revealed.
From the feature list, I guess it should be bang in middle of those for the Sportz and Asta.

Quote:
Following are features in the new generation i20 which was missing in the old one

-Driver arm rest
-Intermittent variable front wiper
-Clutch footrest
-Auto Up Down (Old one had only Auto Down)
Not to nitpick, but these features were already there on the i-Gen i20 in one form or the other.

- The earlier Asta and Asta(O) had a folding driver's armrest. The new model improves upon it with a large fixed armrest (can be used by both the driver & front passenger) & a storage box below it.

- The earlier model had rain-sensing wipers. These act as variable intermittent wipers by adjusting their wiping frequency with that of falling rain drops (the sensitivity can be manually changed on the wiper stalk), but they can also wipe continuously at low and high speeds (if required) when it rains moderately or heavily. This is a very useful feature during the rains, and unfortunately this has been downgraded to merely adjustable intermittent wipers on the new model.

- Clutch footrest (dead pedal) was also a standard feature on the earlier model.

- The earlier model does have both auto up (with pinch guard for safety) and auto down functions for the driver's side window. This is continued on the new car.

Apart from LED DRLs and a rear fog lamp, the earlier car also had two vanity mirrors, one on each sun visor. The new one only gets a passenger vanity mirror.

Last edited by RSR : 11th August 2014 at 14:59.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:39   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Longer version of the official Elite i20 video is now out:

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:59   #427
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
I am really confused which one to buy Polo or the i20 elite. :(
I presume Polo would be a little expensive to maintain than i20 elite but offers more safety on the other hand.
Guys any suggestions ?
Well a VW driving experience is what you will never find in a Hyundai. Hyundai will be easier to drive while the VW will be more involving and confidence inspiring. Since its a brand new product, i would give the I20 a thought for the Novelty it offers.
Old 11th August 2014, 15:04   #428
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

The Elite i20 looks like an excellent car. Well proportioned, muscular & really nice looking interiors.
Can't believe they messed up the variants though. In today's age skimping on critical stuff like Airbags is just not done.
Big thumbs down. I hope Hyundai does a rethink on this.
Old 11th August 2014, 15:10   #429
BANNED

Could somebody tell me the boot space capacity for the i20 elite ?
Old 11th August 2014, 15:13   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Could somebody tell me the boot space capacity for the i20 elite ?
285 liters.

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-untitled.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 15:14   #431
BHPian

Seems like Hyundai is over confident on their product. Messed up feature line up. I think Hyundai should have think of adding the ABS feature across all the version.
Old 11th August 2014, 15:17   #432
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Longer version of the official Elite i20 video is now out.
That ad isn't impressive. The Elite i20 definitely deserves a better advertisement about its exterior design, interior quality, refinement and features, instead of a James Bond imitator trying to show off his skills.

The ghost-with-the-candle advertisement for the i-Gen i20, although it was rather hilarious, did drive home the point about the unique features of the i20 that made its direct competitors look like a spartan cave in comparison.

A good advertisement needs to play up the strengths of the car, and make all competing cars appear second-best, without even making a reference to them.

This is something that the television ad for the Xcent does decently well. One cannot say the same about the faux Mr. James Bond and his gritty "un-compromise" attitude.

Last edited by RSR : 11th August 2014 at 15:30.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 15:30   #433
BHPian

Let me get this right -

The Hyudai i20 Elite and the Xcent are approximately in the same price bracket except that the Xcent is available with dual airbags in more variants and also has 2 AT variants. Given the extraordinary importance attached to the trunk in the Indian consumer's psyche, I can't see why the average Indian consumer browsing at the Hyundai showroom would choose the i20 over the Xcent. Hyundai may just have missed a trick here.
Old 11th August 2014, 15:33   #434
Senior - BHPian

Now that the car is finally launched, can someone tell me how is this car better compared to the outgoing model?

All I see is more or less the same features, same engines but a different interior and exterior design.

The main takeaway is they have removed the Asta(o) variant, the automatic variant and few more features like rain-sensing wipers and increased the price a wee bit. (though to be a fair to Hyundai, they have added a thing or two like rear AC vents and front armrest)

Seriously disappointing, was expecting Hyundai to surprise us with a host of segment-first features which the outgoing model had and more focus on safety.

PS - Just noticed, the Sportz and Asta variants have bigger wheels - 195/55R16 compared to 185/70R14 for the lower variants. Now, that's a huge difference . I woner what impact will be there on the ride quality of the cars or they have different suspension for the different variants?

Last edited by adimicra : 11th August 2014 at 15:40.
adimicra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 15:48   #435
Senior - BHPian

Looks better than the outgoing car and pricing seems okay too. However, I think the number of variants should've been restricted to three; entry-mid-top spec.

About the music system, how useful would the 1GB internal storage be? It can't hold all your music. So the idea is to update it every time with the music you may want to listen during a trip?

PS - looks like Elite i20 sports the blackened C-pillar. Inspired by Tata Bolt?

Last edited by safari_lover : 11th August 2014 at 15:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks