Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 09:25   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

Did a little bit of comparison of the Indian Elite i20 vs the Euro spec one. As mentioned earlier, the Euro spec is 50mm longer @ 4035mm vs the Indian 3985mm even though wheelbase remains the same. How did they shorten the Indian one? Take a close look at the front and rear bumpers of the Indian one vs the Euro one:

Front:
Euro:
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-hyundaii20_2015_1280x960_wallpaper_02.jpg

Indian: Notice the Hyundai Logo. In the Euro car, the logo is inset with the bumper sticking out. In the Indian one, the logo sticks out of the bumper!

Rear:
Euro:
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-hyundaii20_2015_1280x960_wallpaper_03.jpg

Indian: Notice the slot for the boot release. The Euro bumper sticks out from the boot release area vs the Indian which barely sticks out by a few mm.

Seeing the above I am wondering if the same safety rating will apply for the Global model vs the Indian one, especially that of pedestrian safety.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 09:30   #467
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

1) Here in Bangalore the on-road price of Dzire ZDI is ~50K lakh cheaper than Asta CRDI (905574 v/s 952037); this is without taking into account the ongoing discounts for Dzire. The minimum discount is 10K + 15K exchange bonus.

2) Not sure, but the glove box of Elite seems to have shrunk, if one goes by the official pics for both. The new one can hardly hold an apple!
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-new.png  

Attached Images

Old 12th August 2014, 09:34   #468
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The one without airbags got zero star rating which is obvious for any car since. But from all the cars tested without airbags, the Polo scored the highest with minimal injuries and structurally it was the safest from the Figo, Swift, i10 and Alto.

With the 2 airbags, the Indian Polo did 4 stars vs the European 5 star. The 1 star lesser is because of only 2 airbags and no ESP.

But VW have done what Hyundai did not. Vw have made dual airbags standard across the range. So even if you were to buy the base trendline @ 4.99 lakhs, you would get 2 airbags. That means 10K more than the Elite i20 Era gets you 2 airbags.

Incase of hyundai, airbag is available only in Sportz and Sportz (O) that too a single airbag. If you need 2 airbags you have to go for the top end Asta.

Asta i20 gets you 2 airbags but is 30K more than the Polo Highline. Ofcourse the i20 is better equipped.

So while it makes sense to go for the i20 in Asta trim, the lower ones lack of safety features really give the Polo, the upper hand when it comes to safety.

Yes they have but actually it's not really that big a deal. When Hyundai launched the i20 in 2008, they advertised the 6 airbags a lot. Unfortunately even with all the marketing that variant did not sell well.

In 2012, when Hyundai launched the facelifted i20, they quietly removed the 6 airbags option from the diesel. Since 2012, the 6 airbags and sunroof was only offered on the 1.2L Petrol Asta (O). That too, 20K more than the top spec 1.4 CRDi Asta. You can imagine how many it sold since then.
Well said! Infact with its overall build quality which is as good if not superior and sorted ride and handling and more powerful engine and a lower price, the new Polo is one fine car. I prefer its timeless sophisticated look as well to the new i20.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:58   #469
BHPian

Hold on. From what I am reading here, the "Elite" i20 has actually lost some of the bells and whistles from its earlier avatar?

What makes it "Elite" then? I guess the pricing does it. I mean the top-end diesel is priced at Rs. 7.66 L ex-showroom Delhi. Which means on the roads of Bangalore it will be approx Rs. 10 lakhs.

It is not an automatic.
It does not have rear disc brakes.
It has lost a few air-bags.
It is not in a state of tune to be considered a performance hatch.
Am sure the OE music system continues to be mediocre at best.
It has lost its sun-roof.

Is this hatchback really worth Rs. 10 lakhs? It just does not justify the price tag.
BeantownThinker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 10:07   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Grudgingly have to agree that the chop on pedestrian safety (if at all there is a -ve impact) does make sense in India over the tax benefit derived thereof. The European pedestrian safety norms are at best inadequate w.r.t the "organized chaos" on our roads. For a fact very few drivers care about fellow humans and very few pedestrians give a thought before dashing in front of an over-speeding vehicle. Hence a few mm reduction would not really add to a big difference in the pedestrian crumple zone. I'm no expert, so would leave this to the CAE experts on board to judge. Also let me clarify, given a choice I would moot for safety than the cut.

And the colour from the European version is missing from the palette in India, which IMO complements the car better than the "midas gold".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
I mean the top-end diesel is priced at Rs. 7.66 L ex-showroom Delhi. Which means on the roads of Bangalore it will be approx Rs. 10 lakhs.

It is not an automatic.
It has lost a few air-bags.
It has lost its sun-roof.
Bangalore on-road price is 9.5 lakhs and change.

The out-going model never had the above features in diesel. But then you are right, would have made sense to add at least 6 airbags as an option on the top end.

Last edited by vinjosep : 12th August 2014 at 10:11.
Old 12th August 2014, 10:18   #471
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please don't forget this car is a new generation, and not just a facelift. So, the changes are skin deep.

Lack of safety kit when compared to the outgoing model is a shame though. Hyundai should have offered it at least as an option on different variants. I have always wondered why is it so challenging for manufacturers to offer made to order car based on customer requirements. Safety features like airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP, Rear wash wipe at the very least.

Safety aside, I am really curious as to how this new i20 is going to ride and drive. That was the biggest drawback of the outgoing model. Hopefully, Hyundai has been able to learn from its WRC experience and got time to apply that in this version.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 10:25   #472
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
1) Here in Bangalore the on-road price of Dzire ZDI is ~50K lakh cheaper than Asta CRDI (905574 v/s 952037); this is without taking into account the ongoing discounts for Dzire. The minimum discount is 10K + 15K exchange bonus.
Shouldn't the Dzire be compared with the Xcent? I see that the ex-showroom for Xcent Asta metallic is 12K more than that of the Dzire ZDI. (source: company websites, 755188 vs 743571 )
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 10:32   #473
Team-BHP Support

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @...

Quote:
Did a little bit of comparison of the Indian Elite i20 vs the Euro spec one. As mentioned earlier, the Euro spec is 50mm longer @ 4035mm vs the Indian 3985mm even though wheelbase remains the same. How did they shorten the Indian one? Take a close look at the front and rear bumpers of the Indian one vs the Euro one.
Rear still looks ok on the Indian version however the front end looks much better on the international variant compared to the Indian version. I still can't digest the low bonnet which ends so abruptly in the Indian version- compared to a small lower lip present on the bumper for the International version.

Not to forget- they get DRLs as well! Looks like Hyundai has realised that the i20 has more potential in India and decided to 'Indianize' it. Last time they launched it, it was more of an export model launched just for the sake of market presence and brand image.

However- they missed a trick by not providing DRLs. Indians love bling.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th August 2014 at 10:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 12:04   #474
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam Review of the Elite i20. Mumbai OTR prices range from 5.83 lakhs to 9.27 lakhs.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/hyunda...-drive-review/
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 15:18   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
Shouldn't the Dzire be compared with the Xcent? I see that the ex-showroom for Xcent Asta metallic is 12K more than that of the Dzire ZDI. (source: company websites, 755188 vs 743571 )
Yes & no

Personally it made sense for us to compare Dzire and i20, 'cause both caters to our list of requirements to a great extent.

On the other hand, if you consider segments, they not apt comparisons; i agree.

Just saw this goof-up in the online version of the brochure/ gallery. The car on the RHS is a mirror image, note the inverted version/ model stickers.

Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-i20erro.gif  

Last edited by vinjosep : 12th August 2014 at 15:19.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 15:42   #476
Team-BHP Support

I just popped into Trident and blagged a short drive of the Elite i20 petrol

Build Quality - Light, not like a Jetta but well put together
Interiors - plush, very comfortable, easy to get a good driving position. controls are a bit busy with too many buttons
Exteriors - It is large. Some cost cutting apparent like the puny single reverse light
Visibility - You cannot see edges of car, expect a few bumper scrapes. Rear visitiblity hampered y thick pillar but good mirrors compensate
Refinement - Awesome, engine is very quiet. Beinga a new car, I did not thrash it at high RPM though
Ride - Firm but not bone jarring
Handling - Very neutral, an enthusiast will be disappointed with the Sportz badge but light years better than a Verna
Steering - Light, minimal feedback. A little bit of resistance built in to make it feel your are steering
Performance - kept up with traffic, never felt out of breath

Verdict - a good package but no major advance over competitors. The Twin airbag only on Asta is a bummer.
ajmat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 15:58   #477

I have been seriously contemplating a new hatch for the last 3 months. After all reviews had shortlisted the Swift, i20 and the Beat. Beat is out due to the overall space requirement. So now the decision is between the Swift and the i20. The Elite with it's launch has complicated things for me. Need some good thoughts here:
Requirements:
- Average cost, considering that I have already pushed my budget from 5L to 7L.
- Decision between Pertol and Diesel - Expected running is 1K per month in city and the occasional weekend highway trip.
- Would love to have ABS and Airbags without considering the top end.

Ravi
Old 12th August 2014, 16:32   #478
Senior - BHPian

I like the rear treatment more than the front. The prev gen front looked better in my opinion. Interiors are also very nice, wish it would have been offered in an all black scheme.

All others things being ok, my only wonder is why would they remove the rear disc brakes from the diesel model. They should have rather incorporated these on the Petrol ones as well. This is definitely a step down.
Old 12th August 2014, 20:01   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Verdict - a good package but no major advance over competitors. The Twin airbag only on Asta is a bummer.
Only Nissan Micra & VW Polo have been offering twin airbags. Both Swift & Dzire offers only in ZXi & ZDi trims. I think Hyundai is targeting Maruti directly here. However, being a facelift this decision is a big let-down. They should have provided twin air-bags from Sportz trim as majority of members pointed out in this forum.

Going by your quick observations in your test drive one could think that Hyundai attempted to improve all elements in a balanced manner without major offence in any one element except the styling department!
Old 12th August 2014, 20:34   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
being a facelift this decision is a big let-down. They should have provided twin air-bags from Sportz trim
What I learnt is that the i20 Elite is not just a facelift, its a completely new generation model of the i20. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks