Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 07:42   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I think the designer would have gone home and expressed: "Honey, I shrunk the Sumo Grande and you know what? I even changed the front facia to that of Safari Storme"
Stingray was in production much before the Safari facelift hit the drawing boards! If anything, the inspiration can only be the other way round.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 07:59   #32
BHPian

re: Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

Great news if this is true.Hopefully they launch similar exterior and interiors that are available in Japan,and don't chicken out at the last moment by launching something beige.

IMO,this is a great opportunity For Maruti to phaseout the Estilo.As we know they are working on a model that will replace both Estilo and A-Star,that car could take the place of the A-Star later.
But please Maruti get rid of the duds ASAP.They are ruining your lineup.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Stingray was in production much before the Safari facelift hit the drawing boards! If anything, the inspiration can only be the other way round.
So true, we all know how designers keep getting inspired by others work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
IMO,this is a great opportunity For Maruti to phaseout the Estilo.As we know they are working on a model that will replace both Estilo and A-Star,that car could take the place of the A-Star later.
But please Maruti get rid of the duds ASAP.They are ruining your lineup.
Beige or no Beige will go with current market trends. IMO light colors make the car feel bigger and brighter from inside. More cleaning and maintenance is the downside though (can live with it).
I agree with you that manufacturers must phase out old models and bring fresh ones from time to time.
Maruti will remove a car from its lineup only if it stops selling.
They have a good transportation network and don't have to bother to keep making spares for old cars (OEMs will take care of it).
Old 24th July 2013, 12:06   #34
BHPian

Nice! IMHO looks similar to Scion xB.

Any idea if there would be an engine upgrade? (or) it's just cosmetic changes?
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 12:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Any idea if there would be an engine upgrade? (or) it's just cosmetic changes?
While the Japanese variant comes in a sophisticated but smaller 660 cc engine, the Indian car would have fuel efficient and responsive 1000 cc three-cylinder KSeries petrol engine that also powers the A-Star and Alto K10.
Maruti Suzuki might as well introduce the CNG and LPG variants that are available in the current WagonR sold in India.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 12:32   #36
BANNED

The Stingray looks very hot in this red color.

But is it the car which is said to be the replacement for A-Star and Estilo? I guess 'no'. I wish it to be a low-slung car like old jelly-bean Zen, in the A-Star platform (with 1600mm width) and Ritz-like length (1850mm), with a price tag of 3.8 - 4L for the base Petrol version. Maruti has a lot of tall boys in their line up now.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-t_zlb.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th July 2013 at 12:37.
Old 24th July 2013, 13:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

ACI has again spotted the stingray.

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-992930_10152079536702067_505555305_n.jpg

I am not quite liking this silver colored front grille. Other than that, the car looks better in all aspects.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 13:07   #38
BHPian

After a long time, maybe the first time after the Zen Carbon or Classic, that Maruti has come up with a "proper" special edition car in the Maruti WagonR Stingray.

Agreed its just a kit that's been put up on the standard WagonR but yes it looks "different" and "better" than the other "Special edition" offerings that Maruti has recently come up with.

ACI's got exterior pics, I hope the interior also gets some "Unique" treatment.

http://www.autocarindia.com/Gallery/...o-gallery.aspx
Old 24th July 2013, 13:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Why does the bumper in the above car look different from the rendition above. It looks like a super-large panel gap and the chrome is killing.
Old 24th July 2013, 13:15   #40
BHPian

Super cheap chrome grill. Barring that, the car seems like a good one. A 35k premium over the regular wagon r should do it justice.
Old 24th July 2013, 13:17   #41
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the pics, this is not the same Stingray as the JDM one. It is basically the earlier WagonR with bits of the Stingray stuck on it.

In the front headlamps, bumper, fenders and bonnet are all new. That's significant. In the back I can see it's the same as the old WagonR with no sheet metal changes. They have just added clear lens tail lamps and a new bumper shape. Rest of the rear is identical.

I think even interiors will not change.

My only hope is that they launch the Stingray with the AT option.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 13:23   #42
BHPian

The Indian version looks like a watered down version of the japanese one, which is so typical of maruti.

But with this price range, it falls squarely in the Ritz domain. Some amount of product cannibalisation to maintain overlapping products has worked well for Maruti in times of boom, but in times of crisis, is it a good strategy?

Just mere chrome strip will not get new buyers, and certainly doesnot warrant the price difference! and plonking the K12 under the hood makes it a direct competitor to Ritz/ Swift. Why would anynoe buy a WagonR at the price of e Ritz?
Old 24th July 2013, 13:27   #43
BHPian

Love the new looks ! Wagon R StingRay is becoming more than just a family car.
Old 24th July 2013, 15:42   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Its so easy to comment and classify a vehicle which has served so many customers over the past years with its "Boxy and Outdated looks!

Its even easier to overlook the other USPs of the this design telling its not a Car nor a SUV.

Having driven the 2nd Gen (F10D) WagonR for more than 206,000 Kms now with Zero breakdowns whatsoever, of which more than 1.5 lac kms was on the Highways itself, I presume I can post my 2 cents here:
  • The seating is taller, makes ingress and egress a lot more easier. The new WagonR (Blue Eyed Boy) offer better seats and a little bigger seating design too. The higher seated position is most suitable for aged companions in your family. If you are taller (6ft and above, this has a suitable driving position for you.
  • The ride quality of the new WagonR is definitely way above the F10D version. We have had an official review here which mentions this aspect too.
  • WagonR does offer Airbags and ABS as safety features if that is not known by many here.
  • WagonR does not love to be thrown into corners at high speeds. Its a Tallboy with a not so Aerodynamic design - You are the owner, You know limitations of your vehicle and you drive that way- As simple as that!
  • Though the new K10 WagonR offers excellent space - Leg, Head and Shoulder room (Try it next time), It compromises on the tiny boot space which was USP of the previous model which could stack up luggage like a truck thus helping you save a few thousand bucks spent on Taxis for all those Airport Pick ups and Drops to your family members.
  • The earlier 2 Generations had split and reclining rear seats which also offered a flat bed comfort that has helped my family members relax while on the move. This feature was never available in any of the cars sold then!
  • There are people who would settle for practicality over looks - Those who do buy it and those who don't lay their hands on drivers' cars available in the market from many other manufacturers.
  • Even with the Boxy design with so many players in the market and Petrol/CNG being the only fuel options, it still manages to sell a healthy 12-15k units every month YoY since the day it was launched.
  • The current K10 offering is powerful enough although not as great as the F10D for low end torque and efficient than the previous generation too.

It doesn't really matter to MSIL if the Stringray sells or not. After all, K10 has its regular buyers opting it for all the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th July 2013 at 15:44.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 15:46   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In the back I can see it's the same as the old WagonR with no sheet metal changes. They have just added clear lens tail lamps and a new bumper shape. Rest of the rear is identical.
But personally, I like India WR's rear than this plain-jane rear of Jap WR Stingray which looks like the gen-I WR rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-suzuwagon2.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks