Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2013, 08:35   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Those features are for JDM. Wagon R there comes with 0.65L turbo-charged engine, 4x4, automatic transmission and paddle shifter.
4x4? Really? LOL!!! I haven't laughed so much in days. That's an invitation to lot of body work with toppled stingrays. Good business proposition to earn in service while the sales volume is hit.
Old 28th July 2013, 09:03   #107
BHPian

re: Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

I am not sure if this has been asked here before but does this new version of Wagon R comes in an Automatic avatar? I know this will push up the price but I am sure it will have many takers. I kind of like the exteriors - they do seem like a lot of bling though
Old 28th July 2013, 12:01   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post

4x4? Really? LOL!!! I haven't laughed so much in days. That's an invitation to lot of body work with toppled stingrays. Good business proposition to earn in service while the sales volume is hit.
Haha... Funny!

Realistically- 17k WagonRs are sold in India per month. How many service stations have you seen flooded with toppled cars? I'm yet to see any! Agreed- tall boy cars have their limitations, but for a car like WagonR too- those limitations are more than what we require for our roads. I speak with the confidence of having a 90k kilometers old WagonR parked in the garage. (And yep- I have a Punto as well, so I do know few things about stability and cornering)

And JDM Stingray does come with 'Fulltime 4WD' in the japanese market. Think grip rather than mud-ploughing. Not all four wheel drives are meant for off-roading, atleast ever since the days of the legendary Quattro. Think of the JDM Stingray as a normal WagonR with traction all around. How can that be worse than what we already have? Even if it is- ESP should take care of things.

Now- we won't be getting these features in India, and the best we could hope for is an automatic. So the service centres should be relatively free from toppled stingrays.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th July 2013 at 12:08.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 12:18   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Hehe .
The single variant theory was the only one that actually made sense to me. Sensible people do land on the same theories. :
Hehe. I do have many theories floating in my mind everyday. But, alas, all are not so sensible. My mind works in the right direction only on some random times.

Quote:
As for the curtain balloons, even cars above that segment also lack these, so it would be pleasant surprise. I guess Abs+2 front airbags will be offered? Are they offered on the current top variant? Does the WagonR have a true top variant?
If they are launching the a Variant just for the sake of projectors and a different bumper, then I think it is not worth the effort. Why not include something which was not there in the segment before.
This launch has already created much of a hype, and giving a segment-first feature would be a great opportunity to get the markets. Not talking about curtain airbags, but anything that would be unique to the segment. An autobox with paddle shifters as mentioned on this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Therefore, MUL probably felt their is room for a loaded variant. BTW, I saw one on some forum with start/stop button and shift paddles at steering. Will these features really make it here?
What is missing in the VXi is:
  • Passenger airbag
  • Start/stop button with the true keyless entry
  • MID
  • Good audio system with bluetooth
  • Music controls on the steering wheel

If we have all this in one variant, then I would call it a valuable one. Adding projectors with a different set of alloys and minute changes in design wont justify the effort IMO.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 12:34   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
The current WagonR has no relation to the one launched in 1999 / 2000 (which you probably referred to as a contemporary of the Santro). Although WagonR looks very similar and boxy in every generation, this is based on an all new platform which was first launched in JDM around 2005 / 2006.
Though current WR which sells 12k units per month is a completely new car and Santro is selling around 4k units per month, no one - not even a hard core Santro fan - can deny the fact that WR and Santro are direct competitors. The thing is: Hyundai failed to relaunch newer models of the car at regular intervals. They launched its spiritual successor as i10. And IMO, i10 and WR are also competing in the same segment.
Old 28th July 2013, 12:40   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Haha... Funny!

Realistically- 17k WagonRs are sold in India per month. How many service stations have you seen flooded with toppled cars? I'm yet to see any! Agreed- tall boy cars have their limitations, but for a car like WagonR too- those limitations are more than what we require for our roads.
Got WagonR in our family too. The car has comfy ingress and egress. One of the best I can say.

I see humor, because with a 4x4 you are bound to test is limits. That's the human nature.

I'm sure we won't see the 4x4 in India. Automatic is a high possibility.

I feel car manufactures should give automatic as an option starting from base variants.
Old 28th July 2013, 12:42   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post

Making the car longer does not make it radically more expensive. There are various other factors which affect price. And most of the C1 segment examples you quoted have much fatter margins than the typical B1 segment cars, as their price is dictated by the market. If a company wants to cut costs, there are a lot of ways to do so apart from making a car much smaller.

Even if the short length (which BTW is not 3.2m but 3.6m according to Maruti's website which seems to exceed Kei length of 3.4m) can be tolerated, it is the Kei-car width that puts me off totally. I mean right now the Indica eV2 Xeta competes with the Wagon R in the same price segment (and incidentally, is just 9cm longer) and it is a really comfortable 5-seater. Wagon R on the other hand is a really tight squeeze. If they reduced the height and increased the width, and made the body look less like a box it'll be a much nicer car.
Making a car a bit longer does not increase the price radically, but surely does increases it. The chassis has to be made stronger, some mechanicals are to be made stronger, the added weight may account for engine upgrade on some cars (rare). The wagonR is in a price sensitive segment of a price sensitive market.
At the end people do need small flickable city cars, easy to park, easy to drive, fuel efficient, spacy (relatively), reliable (so they avoid TATA due to its image).
As for making the wagonR wider, I am with you, they should do that because space is one of the USPs of the car, but people at MSIL are not fools maybe they have struck the best cost/size/practicality combo with wagonR, or maybe they just do not want to give the consumer so much space at this price point, that could affect sales of other cars. We do not know, but possibilities are endless.
Funny thing manufacture of a sedan costs lesser than that of a (comparable) hatchback, so this discussion does not make much sense, as we shoul get a sedan at this price, and every car should be a sedan. :
Old 28th July 2013, 13:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We all know that the current gen WagonR is all new platformed, but it still is a WagonR. You seem to refuse it as a WagonR and a rival to the Santro? Santro fanboy, eh?
The new Swift is all new, but then it is still undeniably a Swift. The Santro received mild updates throughtout its life, and people say that the all new Santro was termed as i10, with the old model kept continued. Had Hyundai badged the i10 as a Santro, it would have been a Santro.
And to answer questions about StingRay, we know no diesel and no K12m.
And we also know the idea of paddle shifters is :.
But how are you so sure about the automatic? Why not? Any reliable sources? Please justify, because it would be such a boon to WagonR, but blow to A-Star AT(not that A-Star AT is selling in huge numbers).
Santro fanboy? By saying that the WagonR is a much newer car than the age old Santro? Sometimes I wonder what people read and what they understand from it!!

I know these things about the Stingray because I worked for MSIL R&D for many years. And because I saw spec sheets of this model 2 years ago when it was still in initial design phase. That is why.

It will surely be great see if they launch it with Automatic, ESP, 6 air bags or rocket launchers. Whatever. We will see.

And just to add, the 4x4 offered in Kei cars is not just for show, neither is it for off-roading. It comes in handy during winter when it snows and you have an automatic 660cc turbocharged petrol car.

Last edited by Viju : 28th July 2013 at 13:08.
Viju is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 18:04   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

JDM Suzuki Wagon R spotted in India -chances that the JDM Wagon R could be testing a locally developed component or a system?

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-2013suzukiwagonrinterior1.jpg

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/s...ed-india-89555
Old 29th July 2013, 20:48   #115
BHPian

Nissan has started a no-glove box design trend for low cost interiors. They started it with Evalia, now Datsun. Here Maruti is following suit on its premium car. See it got automatic and no-glove box. Not fair at all.

You always keep handy stuffs in glove box that you dont want the world to see through the tint-less glasses of our cars.

Now that will be an accessory like they do in Nano.
Old 29th July 2013, 20:53   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Nissan has started a no-glove box design trend for low cost interiors. They started it with Evalia, now Datsun. Here Maruti is following suit on its premium car. See it got automatic and no-glove box. Not fair at all.

You always keep handy stuffs in glove box that you dont want the world to see through the tint-less glasses of our cars.

Now that will be an accessory like they do in Nano.
I think the glove box is present but it's just not visible in the above pic. Refer to the last pic in post #51 on page 4 of this thread.
Old 29th July 2013, 21:01   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I think the glove box is present but it's just not visible in the above pic. Refer to the last pic in post #51 on page 4 of this thread.
That makes my belief stronger now. See the Manual gear box shows a glove box and the Automatic lost it. Rest of the design elements are similar except for the placing of gear.

Either they have done it or are contemplating the philosophy. My assembly line engineer will take a minute to fix the glove box door, now I make 1000 cars a day is 1000 minutes of man hour saved.
Old 29th July 2013, 21:11   #118
BHPian

Quote:
That makes my belief stronger now. See the Manual gear box shows a glove box and the Automatic lost it. Rest of the design elements are similar except for the placing of gear.
I am referring to this pic. It is an automatic, right ?

There is also a glove box, or correct me if i am wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-1w4.jpg  

Old 29th July 2013, 21:16   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I am referring to this pic. It is an automatic, right ?

There is also a glove box, or correct me if i am wrong.
Gottcha! Thanks for this picture. Missed it earlier . Yes I do see a little glove box under the storage.

Now they seem to have more space to keep the phones and little stuffs. Stingray rules!!!
Old 30th July 2013, 18:04   #120
BHPian

This box on wheels has begun to look somewhat desirable. No single car can cater to all types of enthusiasts. This new one will have its own following what with its little better space, larger wheels, and a good mileage.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks