Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 16:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

I dont know if this was discussed earlier, what is the point in launching the stingray in India?

From the spy pics, the stingray has the projector lamps, clear lens tail lamp and loads of chrome. MSIL is going to milk money like anything for this and at what price would they launch the stingray?
Old 24th July 2013, 16:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

This is definitely not the JDM spec WagonR. What they have done is to adapt the Indian WagonR to look as close as possible to the JDM WagonR Stingray. For starters the bonnet is longer than the JDM one. I guess that's due to the K10B doing duty here instead of the 660cc motor in Japan.

They have provided a slit below the grille and a massive air dam for better airflow as the grille itself does not allow air passage to the radiator. Pretty neat job I must admit. They should have worked a bit on the rear too, which has not got any sheet metal changes, and looks a bit dull as a result.

Last edited by longhorn : 24th July 2013 at 16:07. Reason: spell check
Old 24th July 2013, 16:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post

I believe this will be sold slongside the current model. It looks too chic for mango people.
And what are you? An apple people?
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 16:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Why does the bumper in the above car look different from the rendition above.
Maruti doesn't stick with the global family look always (excepting cases like Swift, A Star etc.,) Being a largest contributor to global revenues Maruti engineers usually have their say, looks like.

They tweak Japan Suzuki's parent designs to "suite" Indian tastes. Most often this spoils the look of the parent design. Either love it or hate it.

A recent example - current Wagon R head lights have softer curves while Jap's Wagon R has sharper curves.

I liked the Japan StingRay's air dam design more. India spec design has a Alto 800ish curves.

Overall, looks good except for the glaring chrome grill.

Last edited by BusyBoyKK : 24th July 2013 at 16:07.
Old 24th July 2013, 17:41   #50
BHPian

Some more images by ACI. Shows the tailgate as same as to the current gen WagonR.
Looks like stingray is replacing current gen WagonR.

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-1001385_10152079780792067_1346184160_n.jpg

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20130724051316_wagonrstingrayindia1.jpg

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20130724051315_wagonrstingrayindia5.jpg

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20130724051318_wagonrstingrayindia3.jpg

The rear is exactly the same leaving aside the clear lamp tail lamps and the STINGRAY badging.
I like the introduction of projectors in the front as well. Do we have a option of changing the front chrome grille?

Quoting ACI
Quote:
The WagonR Stingray will sit above the current WagonR. The carmaker has taken this initiative in order to draw back attention to the brand. The pictures also show that the Stingray’s VXI variant would come equipped with ABS.
source

Last edited by carzone : 24th July 2013 at 17:53.
carzone is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 09:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

I have few questions on interiors. Any idea which one of these would be seen on the Indian version of Stingray?

Current one.
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-1w2.jpg
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-1w3.jpg
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-1w1.jpg

Will it also have a 'super flat' floor as seen in the pic below?
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-1w4.jpg

Pics : Google search

Last edited by HammerHead : 25th July 2013 at 09:58.
Old 25th July 2013, 10:05   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I have few questions on interiors. Any idea which one of these would be seen on the Indian version of Stingray?
These pics are of the JDM Stingray! No pics of the interiors of the 'Indian Stingray' have surfaced so far.

Cheers!
Old 25th July 2013, 11:11   #53
BHPian

You can definitely forget the change in gear position..which in turn means the original dashboard will be continued, maybe with silver streaks as part of the 'new innovation'.

As for the fully flat, i Really wish they do bring it..
Old 25th July 2013, 11:18   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad got a call from local Maruti dealer in Calicut (Popluar Maruti) informing new Wagon R is about to be launched and if he interested in pre-booking the same. Since there isno plan of an upgrade he didn't check the details. However since this is the only 'new Wagon R' coming I guess the launch may be around the corner.
Old 25th July 2013, 11:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

So where is the sting i ask? Other than a refresh of the looks that will potentially drive the families away, what does it bring to the table? We will know in due time when the specs are released tho i don't expect any pleasant surprises at all.

I hope they continue selling the current Wagon R and launch this to target the yuppy crowd Eon has been trying to target.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:00   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
From the spy pics, especially the second one, we can see two silver inserts in the center of the dash around the Audio system - Just like what is present in the current wagonR. Hence, I think this is just an exterior facelift. But what I dont understand is the reason to give it an intermediate facelift just before this one. Pity the ones who brought the facelift now. Though the front might not be a justifiable replacement for the current looks, which are very plain and suits people of slightly higher age groups, the projectors are a surprise move by maruti. They wouldn't even offer twin beam headlights before, and now this. Looks like they are getting aggressive now.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:45   #57
BHPian

The second pic "silver dashboard", looks bad/ugly. I would prefer the third one any day, looks so much better and classy IMO.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
From the spy pics, especially the second one, we can see two silver inserts in the center of the dash around the Audio system - Just like what is present in the current wagonR.
Yeah just saw that.
So its not the JMD one but 'India' specific Stingray

In simple words its nothing but a face lift!!

Looks like MS is eyeing Limka Book entry for 'Most face lifted car' in a stipulated period
Old 25th July 2013, 12:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

4th pic above shows rear legroom space to be aplenty. And that flat floor? How many cars do you see that in? That itself is a reason to buy this car. You can slide from left to right without your knees scraping your chin. Ditto front with the gear-lever moved to dash. I saw elsewhere that it also has push-start button. The important point is, will we really get all these features here?
Old 25th July 2013, 13:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

The headlights and the alloys of the Stingray are much with the times. Looks sweet.

Everything else is plain jane. Maruti needs to entirely overhaul the WagonR, make it new, fresh and happening and not just keep on bringing facelifts every other few months.

A diesel option being considered for the Stingray?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks