Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:03   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
What Hillman basically meant, that the (Engine+Gearbox+some mechanicals) combination of many cars are same. For example Alto K10 and A-Star, M800 5 speed and Alto.
What is wrong with that? Interchangeability is a good thing. It also means that mass production can keep costs down. Look at the entire vw/skoda/audi family. lots of parts including the engine comes from the same parts bin. honda also shares its parts amongst it siblings. i don't believe there is one main stream manufacturer who does not do parts sharing across variants/sister companies.
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:30   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post

What is wrong with that? Interchangeability is a good thing. It also means that mass production can keep costs down. Look at the entire vw/skoda/audi family. lots of parts including the engine comes from the same parts bin. honda also shares its parts amongst it siblings. i don't believe there is one main stream manufacturer who does not do parts sharing across variants/sister companies.
Nothing is wrong with that. I never said anything regarding goodness/badness of part sharing. Rather it keeps the costs low. But, then the Alto was not considered a good upgrade to M800 5 speed (which had to be discontinued because it started eating Alto's sales). The thing with Maruti is that it has too many, and I mean too many hatchbacks in 2-5 lakh segment. Part sharing is bound to happen, but then having so many cars in same segment meant is not a good idea in my opinion. I think the age old Alto should have been replaced long ago by the new gen Alto (the overpriced A-Star). Instead of investing in making new cars, Maruti can lower the cost of A-Star, discontinue the Alto, and it should have badged the Alto800 just the 800.
What Estilo serves as a car, I think the WagonR does better, so why 2 cars?
But then again, its just my opinion.
And "why to fix something that ain't broke", kept the Alto alive, and rightly so.
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:49   #138
BHPian

@Ahmad.007, you just took the words of my mouth.
Thats exactly the point. Why drag along old versions and sell the upgrade at a premium. Specially when Maruti has already squeezed out all the benefits and raked in enough profit.

Thats why I say, this is not expected of Maruti. Other maunfactures have a considerably low market share, they have the investments to recover and bound to cut costs till breakeven. Not the case with Maruti.

Upgrade the WagonR and call it Stingray to charge hefty premium. Who knows the same engine may do the duty under the hood of the Lx variant.

Last edited by HillMan : 2nd August 2013 at 14:50.
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:15   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
And we know how old and ancient looking are cars like Duster, Santro, Accent, Figo etc, and the respective manufacturers sell them as new products.
Case in point the Mahindra. You will see the latest engines they develop doing duty in the newer launches of the same model. And I can say the mechanics and reliability of their product keeps improving with every batch. They evolve continuously. The product is same, the variant is same, but the heart has changed. The old technology is shown its logical end.

Please dont go by the looks, its a personal flavor. Duster is built to European standards, on the same assembly line and exported out of India with cosmetic changes. The European version could have cost lower .

The Ford and Chevy are built to last. I cant say the same for our Korean counterparts.

In fact my 5yr old budget car Chevy spark which has already done 60K on the odo driven on some real bad roads day in and out, doesnt squeak or rattle. Actually it runs so well, I have to keep a reminder for service and not look forward to it. I service it by kms and not by duration.

Sorry, I realize its going .
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:54   #140
BHPian

By the way, any news on the official launch date of the StingRay???
Old 10th August 2013, 18:44   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

The car(variant) will be launched by the end of this month. It will just be an offering above the current Vxi. Was given this info by a very credible source.
Old 10th August 2013, 19:39   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post

The Ford and Chevy are built to last. I cant say the same for our Korean counterparts.

In fact my 5yr old budget car Chevy spark which has already done 60K on the odo driven on some real bad roads day in and out, doesnt squeak or rattle.
Way - but you do realize that your 'Chevy' Spark is essentially a 'Korean' gen 2 Daewoo Matiz wearing a bowtie - right?

Similarly the 'Chevy' Beat is a gen 3 Matiz. Chevy Optra, Aveo, Sail... the list goes on.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 20:01   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Way - but you do realize that your 'Chevy' Spark is essentially a 'Korean' gen 2 Daewoo Matiz wearing a bowtie - right?
He he he yup very much. I owned a Matiz before the Spark. I loved that car. Reason for buying Spark. Still feel Matiz was a better car.
Old 10th August 2013, 20:49   #144
BHPian

Sorry to jump in :-P, I still own a Matiz, amazing car, though rattles badly now-15 years, 1L km. I also own a Beat Diesel, and the ride of the Matiz is still better and fatigue free, compared to the Beat.
Matiz was ahead of its time. Matiz still gives me 16+ in city. Spark is a brilliant car, only problem I think is the centre mounted instrument cluster and the low mileage.
ahmad.007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 07:44   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

MSI is also gearing up to launch WagonR Stingray ahead of this festive season as it looks to enhance its leadership position in the market.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21756751.cms
Old 13th August 2013, 14:00   #146
BHPian

I visited Maruti showroom today to book my Ertiga. There I learnt that Stingray training for sales executives has started and launch is on 22nd Aug.
ksaurabh21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 14:06   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
I visited Maruti showroom today to book my Ertiga. There I learnt that Stingray training for sales executives has started and launch is on 22nd Aug.
Whoa! Thats just 9 days from today.
With the diesel Waggie thread showing up, I think, only the petrol will be launched now, with the diesel being added a some time later, if at all it is getting one.

BTW, any details on the interiors remain the same or we get a major update. Also, pricing updates?
Old 13th August 2013, 15:09   #148
BHPian

For me, something like this is what comes to mind when I hear Stingray. :(

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-stingray-corvette.jpg

I fee quite bad that they are using such a sporty name for something else that looks horrendous from the start.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 16:33   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
For me, something like this is what comes to mind when I hear Stingray. :(

I fee quite bad that they are using such a sporty name for something else that looks horrendous from the start.
Yup, exactly.
A waste of such a great name.
Such type of names should be reserved for deserving vehicles.
Old 14th August 2013, 09:02   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Stingray Launch Likely on 20th August, 3 Variants.

Sales staff at Maruti Suzuki dealerships is undergoing training sessions learning about the Stingray.
Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-1376047314stingray_fraud.jpg

Stingray will be launched in 3 variants namely; Lxi, Vxi and Vxi Optional (No Zxi variant!). Top-of-the-line Vxi Optional variant will get ABS, Driver Side Airbag, a new Music System, Alloys, Projector Headlamps, Fog Lamps and Electrically Adjustable ORVMs.

http://carsizzler.com/news-detail/00...-Variants.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th August 2013 at 09:04.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks