Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 14:15   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
....Just one question to all: Does engine CC only makes car belong to any particular segment? Not correct i know. But people suddenly started making noise about 1.3 L engine for Ciaz. Toyota Corolla comes with 1.4 L diesel engine same as Liva but is in D segment. Similarly Renault Fluence comes with 1.5 L diesel engine same as Micra, Pulse but also falls in D segment. So i guess its the features, size & price that defines the segment.
To a good extent, Yes! I believe Corolla is one of those few cars which sells more petrol engines than it's diesel counter part, that too in a diesel driven market. That says a lot about the engine too. I personally would NOT want to buy a low capacity / power engine when I pay a million bucks. I am sure one could afford a lesser FE Vs better power when they shell out that much for a vehicle.
Old 19th March 2014, 23:55   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ciaz will be positioned over the Dzire and almost close to where the SX4 is. It is the S cross that will be priced higher up the line and it is indeed arriving later conpared to the Ciaz. In between all this, the SX4 will be taken off production and hence, the offering will be repositioned.

Speaking of engines, it will definitely be the S-Cross that will get the 1.6L MJD and the Ciaz will stick to the 1.3L VGT and the K series petrol. Hence, we can think of the Ciaz as a better Dzire and the S cross as the ideal competitor to the likes of the Honda City, Verna etc.
Old 20th March 2014, 00:18   #348
BHPian

Basically, Maruti suzuki is in a mood to bring back the segment which was started by the Fiat Adventure and MS's Baleno (Don't remember the name of its station wagon). It failed miserably let's see Whats written in S cross's fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 20th March 2014, 00:24   #349
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Basically, Maruti suzuki is in a mood to bring back the segment which was started by the Fiat Adventure and MS's Baleno (Don't remember the name of its station wagon). It failed miserably let's see Whats written in S cross's fate.
I guess you meant the Maruti Baleno Altura?

I feel the S Cross to do much better now as the segment is up and brimming and with Maruti badge anything will sell.

Anurag.
Old 20th March 2014, 07:38   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The
Speaking of engines, it will definitely be the S-Cross that will get the 1.6L MJD and the Ciaz will stick to the 1.3L VGT and the K series petrol. Hence, we can think of the Ciaz as a better Dzire and the S cross as the ideal competitor to the likes of the Honda City, Verna etc.
Are we speaking of competition in terms of engine power and capacity? I feel the market will well differentiate a crossover from a sedan. Enthusiasts might disagree, but we ought to look at the existing soft roaders when comparing the S cross.
Old 20th March 2014, 07:49   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hence, we can think of the Ciaz as a better Dzire and the S cross as the ideal competitor to the likes of the Honda City, Verna etc.
Suzuki's S Cross is a crossover and more likely to compete with Duster , Terrano, etc. It could be pricey to start with as the import content is likey to be high, further localization etc will depend on the respone they get from this.
To note here is this is just to keep them in in SUV race until the XA Alpha arrives in 2016 (speculated).

Cheers!
Old 20th March 2014, 08:03   #352
Team-BHP Support

I thought there are two different vehicles. S-Cross; the recently launched one in Europe with 1.6 MJD and SX4-Cross which was shown in India Auto-expo (the one which would have 1.3MJD).

I think they are two different vehicles.
Old 20th March 2014, 08:10   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think they are two different vehicles.
Two new releases from Maruti shortly will be the 1. YL1 ( CIAZ) and 2. SX4 S Cross.

The SX4 S Cross is available with the 1.6MJD engine in Europe while in India it is speculated to be launched with the 1.3 DDIS engine.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th March 2014 at 08:18.
Old 20th March 2014, 08:36   #354
Senior - BHPian

Could the S Cross be the ideal Duster/Yeti competitor? Because that does seem like a nice market to target and with the XA Alpha fighting it out with the Ecosport and other upcoming micro-SUVs, The company won't have a single gap in their sub 15 lakh line-up. The name "Kizashi" might not have brought good fortune for itself but it certainly was a sign of good things to come from Suzuki eh?
Old 20th March 2014, 09:53   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it confirmed that S-Cross is planned for India. As per the discussions during Auto Expo threads I was of impression that Maruti is still contemplating if to launch it in India or not.
Old 20th March 2014, 21:42   #356
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully MSIL will offer the SX4 Cross with a AWD option. Otherwise there will not be too much to differentiate it from the SX4 Sedan. Pricing will also be a key factor. The SX4 Cross, as the name suggests, is a crossover and not as butch as the the Duster for instance.It is also likely to be lower in terms of space. This may well go against it ( as in case of the Yeti). In India, form counts for more than substance.
Old 20th March 2014, 22:34   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To a good extent, Yes! I believe Corolla is one of those few cars which sells more petrol engines than it's diesel counter part, that too in a diesel driven market. That says a lot about the engine too. I personally would NOT want to buy a low capacity / power engine when I pay a million bucks. I am sure one could afford a lesser FE Vs better power when they shell out that much for a vehicle.
Agreed. And to add to that Fluence is powered by a more powerfully tuned 110 bhp variant of the DCi engine which is what differentiates it from its smaller siblings. 110 bhp/220 nm is acceptable figure for a D segment car to some extend. But a 90 bhp Altis with performance no better than a Swift is hilarious.

Similarly cars like Linea and SX4 are bit underpowered for the kind of segment and price they belong to. So they lose marks in terms of drive factor.
Things wont change much with this new maruti and the new linea. 1.6 mjd has its time to make its debut in India
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 22:57   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Hopefully MSIL will offer the SX4 Cross with a AWD option. Otherwise there will not be too much to differentiate it from the SX4 Sedan.
The AWD offer would never come up in India for these compact X-overs. I really doubt if that would ever happen. The X-overs sell very well as urban lifestyle vehicles even without the AWD versions.
Old 21st March 2014, 16:49   #359
Senior - BHPian

Sure, but they look like conventional SUV's ( XUV and Duster). The Crossovers that look different ( less butch eg Aria, Forester, Fusion and Yeti) don't find too many takers.
Old 21st March 2014, 17:00   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess you meant the Maruti Baleno Altura?

I feel the S Cross to do much better now as the segment is up and brimming and with Maruti badge anything will sell.

Anurag.
Agree with @a4Anurag! Altura was way ahead of its time. The market for UVs are wide open now and the SCross - if not externally restyled too heavily in its production avatar - should do well.

For YL1 too, comments on this thread do point out a lot of known shortcomings, but I submit that MSIL superb sales/service network and low costs have the potential to make it a sure winner. Besides, YL1 is the first C segment sedan (after the famed Esteem) which actually looks good.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks