Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2023, 08:30   #571
BHPian

Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Well, I believe it has to with the sport lines lack of wireless charging, the luxury line and the M sport had wireless charging so they display key was never out of charge I'd imagine, most owners would just place the key there on startup.

In my experience, after the initial party gimmick of the display screen was (and it was over pretty early for me, though I permanently use the display key, I hardly remember using the screen, and the key was discharged most of the time, because the buttons on the key worked very well for months, and only when the buttons were also getting discharged (when you get the message to charge in the car), is when I did charge, though after your post, I charged mine and touchwood its perfectly fine, I would imagine these repeated cycles and long periods of a dead cell, might be responsible for it and it might just need a kick start similar to a car battery to come alive, or on the alternate if you were chagrin using that very flimsy cable provided by BMW and the car USB that also might be responsible.
I personally just use a regular mobile micro USB charger, its fast and convenient.

Further, since your car is out of warranty and you don't have anything to loose, why dont you take it to a trusted electronic repair shop and unpack and see, maybe its just loose wiring or. cell gone wrong, in the alternate, you anyways need to pay BMW,
Also, a question to the mods, since BMW claims its accidental damaged, can he claim insurance instead? a key is a part of then car, and its accidental damage

Last edited by np23 : 8th February 2023 at 08:33.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 11:43   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Well, I believe it has to with the sport lines lack of wireless charging, the luxury line and the M sport had wireless charging so they display key was never out of charge I'd imagine, most owners would just place the key there on startup.

In my experience, after the initial party gimmick of the display screen was (and it was over pretty early for me, though I permanently use the display key, I hardly remember using the screen, and the key was discharged most of the time, because the buttons on the key worked very well for months, and only when the buttons were also getting discharged (when you get the message to charge in the car), is when I did charge, though after your post, I charged mine and touchwood its perfectly fine, I would imagine these repeated cycles and long periods of a dead cell, might be responsible for it and it might just need a kick start similar to a car battery to come alive, or on the alternate if you were chagrin using that very flimsy cable provided by BMW and the car USB that also might be responsible.
I personally just use a regular mobile micro USB charger, its fast and convenient.

Further, since your car is out of warranty and you don't have anything to loose, why dont you take it to a trusted electronic repair shop and unpack and see, maybe its just loose wiring or. cell gone wrong, in the alternate, you anyways need to pay BMW,
Also, a question to the mods, since BMW claims its accidental damaged, can he claim insurance instead? a key is a part of then car, and its accidental damage
I do have key cover in my insurance but I don't think they will replace it unless its damaged or lost, However, I will still try to get it checked once from some mobile repair person to check the battery once.

I noticed another strange thing, my iDrive controller does nothing when pushed down ( Normally it opens the selected item from the menu) , it was not working earlier, but after I got the service done ( Just regular break oil service ), it started working, I think they also performed reset. But since yesterday its again not working when pushed down, rest everything is working fine.

I noticed this happened after I used display key instead of the other key a day before yesterday. Now this is very strange, there might be some other technical glitch or I am missing something.
Old 8th February 2023, 13:42   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anki_252hp View Post
Unfortunately, mine is not under warranty, so i have to bear the cost. Problem looks very simple and i feel it can be easily fixed by replacing battery but its BMW, nothing is as simple as it looks.
If i can import the battey, i can try my luck once.
If you can source the correct battery, it seems that actually replacing it is pretty straightforward as per this video.
NerdyMillennial is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 13:48   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyMillennial View Post
If you can source the correct battery, it seems that actually replacing it is pretty straightforward as per this video.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=aJKYGbznfz0
Yeah, saw this video earlier & it seems quite easy to replace the battery, surprisingly battery is not available in India & when I asked some key makers, they said, you need to import it from Dubai or somewhere else.

On other side, when I asked BMW service people to check, they said, battery is not faulty, problem is with key ( which is hard to digest for me as everything is working properly when key is getting charged )

So, I will take a risk & get the battery imported from somewhere & see if it can fix it else I will buy it from BMW which is quoting me 68K for the key.
Old 8th February 2023, 14:53   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
I hardly remember using the screen, and the key was discharged most of the time, because the buttons on the key worked very well for months, and only when the buttons were also getting discharged (when you get the message to charge in the car), is when I did charge
Wait, the display key buttons work for months on a single charge? And it warns you when even those buttons are going to stop working? That's very encouraging. I was afraid of getting stranded because the display key doesn't even have an integrated mechanical key for backup.
d3mon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 09:30   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Wait, the display key buttons work for months on a single charge? And it warns you when even those buttons are going to stop working? That's very encouraging. I was afraid of getting stranded because the display key doesn't even have an integrated mechanical key for backup.
Yes indeed, works for 8-10 weeks at the minimum without a charge,
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 11:47   #577
BHPian

Update:- After BMW checked the key & assured me that battery is not the problem for the display key & entire display key had to be replaced, I still wanted to try replacing battery once for sure. However, I tried contacting multiple key makers ( who converts your normal car key into display key ) to arrange battery for me, but sadly no one could & 1 person who said he can arrange the battery asked insane 20K for the battery alone, so I gave it a pass.

While browsing solutions on google I reached a Polish site & connected them on whatsapp, I got an instant reply from the owner named Piotr, I explained my problem & shared key pics, he said its most probably a battery problem only & quoted me $25 for the battery.
He had the battery available with him & asked me that he can ship it as soon as I make the payment. He took my address to calculate shipping charges which came to $35. He said that sending battery may be an issue so he said, he will place the battery in a broken display key to ship.

I paid him $60 to his Paypal on 9th, he shipped it on 10th, provided me DHL tracking no. & also shared battery pic when requested. Even though delivery date was showing as 15th, I got a call from DHL yesterday that they have got the package but there is a custom duty of Rs. 2246, which I realized can't be avoided so paid it online at DHL portal ( They shared its invoice as well, which I can't understand much).

Total cost came to INR 7121 including custom & conversion fee.

I received the broken key around 8.30PM & replaced it immediately, which was a very easy process as explained in video shared by @NerdyMillennial. You just need a flat head screwdriver and its a 5 min job. Charged the key for an hour & voila, display did not turn blank after removing charger. I tested remote start & moved the car using remote in the morning.

Finally my display key problem is solved & I don't have to pay insane 70K for the key.

Later, I checked their GMB ( Google My Business ) page and saw almost 250 reviews, all thanking him for various solutions, he replaces broken displays of the key along with some other maps related integrations too. Overall, it was a very good experience for me.
Anki_252hp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 13:48   #578
BHPian

Hello!

I have been driving a Superb 2.0 TSI for a couple of years, but feel the itch to have a more fun driving experience. After considering pricing and practicality, I have shorted listed a pre-owned BMW 530D that I intend to tune w/ G-Power's 330HP and 700NM remap.

While the BMW is over 200KGs heavier, will a RWD, adaptive suspension, six cylinder engine and remap provide me a significantly better driving experience than the Superb? Will this sort of a 530D lean more towards entry level sports cars territory?

It'll be great to have inputs from members who have driven both! If the experience is only marginally better, I would wait and invest in another car a little later. I understand that this can be fairly subjective, but would love the inputs!

Also, remapping the Superb is not an option. Nor is buying a pre-owned sports car. The choice is precisely based on the difference between a stock 2.0 Superb and a tuned 530D.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks