Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 16:51   #436
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,070
Thanked: 8,566 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Also for out station trips, BMW gives some cans of additives to be added if getting refuelled from somewhere not so “perfect”
I was not aware of this. Will check it out tomorrow when I visit the BMW workshop for the oil service.

Thanks for pointing this.
graaja is offline  
Old 6th February 2019, 17:13   #437
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 244
Thanked: 697 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I was not aware of this. Will check it out tomorrow when I visit the BMW workshop for the oil service.

Thanks for pointing this.
They usually keep 2-3 small tins in the boot during service its in the bills.
These are these ones[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-83192183738-Original-fuel-additive/dp/B00KKJI67U[/URL]

Even whenever my 530D went for service there were always a couple of them in the boot.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 19:01   #438
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 38
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

I’m running 95 Octane on my 530i and haven’t tried any other fuel thus far.

Is there anyone who has experimented and has anything to share ?
Ravi_chd is offline  
Old 6th February 2019, 19:48   #439
Senior - BHPian
 
vinaydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,398
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Good to hear that BMW runs okay on 91 octane while cars like the vRS have trouble with reregular fuel. Does the display key in the 530i sport line support remote parking?
vinaydas is offline  
Old 6th February 2019, 20:53   #440
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 4,147
Thanked: 12,715 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
I run a mix of 99/97/91, no particular order but I try getting 99 whenever possible
Also for out station trips, BMW gives some cans of additives to be added if getting refuelled from somewhere not so “perfect”
I believe these acts more like injector cleaners then Octane boosters. I have used occasionally on the Diesels but could not find any difference or atleast hear anything differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post
I’m running 95 Octane on my 530i and haven’t tried any other fuel thus far.
Where do you get 95 octane in Chandigarh? I think regular or premium is 91 only.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 23:40   #441
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 244
Thanked: 697 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I believe these acts more like injector cleaners then Octane boosters. I have used occasionally on the Diesels but could not find any difference or atleast hear anything differently

Where do you get 95 octane in Chandigarh? I think regular or premium is 91 only.
OK, I've used them in such a manner and they seem to do their job silently. Always gives me a sense of peace of mind when I have to fill up in a tier 2 city but I think you are correct.

I have not seen 95 in Delhi, used to get 93 till a couple of years ago, now to my best knowledge standard/Power/Speed are 91, Speed 97 and Power 99 are whats available, kindly correct me if wrong.
97 an 99 are priced very similarly and hence I prefer picking it whenever convenient, else 91 is significantly cheaper and does the job perfectly.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 13:32   #442
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,034
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
97 an 99 are priced very similarly and hence I prefer picking it whenever convenient, else 91 is significantly cheaper and does the job perfectly.
I suggest if they are available at your pump, a mix of 50-50 or 40-60 97/99 -91 does wonders for engine power, smoothness and fuel efficiency.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 09:31   #443
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 19
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
OK, I've used them in such a manner and they seem to do their job silently. Always gives me a sense of peace of mind when I have to fill up in a tier 2 city but I think you are correct.

I have not seen 95 in Delhi, used to get 93 till a couple of years ago, now to my best knowledge standard/Power/Speed are 91, Speed 97 and Power 99 are whats available, kindly correct me if wrong.
97 an 99 are priced very similarly and hence I prefer picking it whenever convenient, else 91 is significantly cheaper and does the job perfectly.
That is correct, Speed 97 is available at Bharat Petroleum and for some odd reason if you ask any petrol pump operator they will say BP gives better Octane value. Also if you write on google maps " HP Petrol Pump Autocare Center" it will take you to the (HP Power 99) 99 OCTANE petrol pump in chanakyapuri, I just filled my X1 petrol BS6 car with this fuel, not much change since i am trying to drive on ECO PRO mode which eats up the power - But I expect better mileage for sure. Will keep you all posted on the same.
maddylaw is offline  
Old 7th May 2019, 10:54   #444
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 6,030
Thanked: 25,304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddylaw View Post
That is correct, Speed 97 is available at Bharat Petroleum and for some odd reason if you ask any petrol pump operator they will say BP gives better Octane value..

Slightly off topic. There is no such thing as better Octane value. Unless you can not trust that the octane number mentioned by the supplier is not correct I guess
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 21:23   #445
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manipal
Posts: 4,641
Thanked: 12,642 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Fastest Diesel Car in India ?

E Tuners Stage 1 G30 530D
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-img_20190519_212239.jpg

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-img_20190519_212059.jpg

Name:  IMG_20190519_212125.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  16.9 KB

0-100 : 4.89 seconds
1/4 th mile : 13.31 seconds


https://www.instagram.com/p/BxpeHgtA...=11l9g6afzc7q5

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 19th May 2019 at 21:25.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 21:38   #446
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,070
Thanked: 8,566 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Fastest Diesel Car in India ?
A couple of doubts.

1. In the first picture, on the top, 0-100km/h is shown as 5.20s, but in the table it is shown as 0-100(1ft) - 4.89s. What is the difference between these two numbers? What is 0-100(1ft)?
2. The slope is shown as -0.25%. This is actually a downward slope. Wouldn't this skew the 0-100 results?
graaja is offline  
Old 19th May 2019, 21:49   #447
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manipal
Posts: 4,641
Thanked: 12,642 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. In the first picture, on the top, 0-100km/h is shown as 5.20s, but in the table it is shown as 0-100(1ft) - 4.89s. What is the difference between these two numbers? What is 0-100(1ft)?
Quote:
What is rollout, and when do you need to use it?

‘Rollout’ is the distance travelled by a vehicle before the timing lights on a drag strip are triggered. When running performance tests, such as a quarter mile test, this distance is typically 1 foot (12 inches).

GPS performance meters such as the Performance Box start counting time from the first sample in which speed over 0.8 km/h is detected. This means that this first foot of movement from the vehicle would be captured as part of the test, and more importantly, the time from this would be included in the final result.

How much difference does this foot of movement make?

Actually, quite a lot. In fact, it can affect the final run time by up to 0.3 of a second. For this reason, it is important to discount this first foot of movement from the final run time, to ensure that the run time captured by the GPS data logger is as close as possible to the official drag strip time.
Above information is from Racelogic. Dragy app shows 0-100 timings with / without one foot rollout.

https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot...e_Foot_Rollout

Quote:
2. The slope is shown as -0.25%. This is actually a downward slope. Wouldn't this skew the 0-100 results?
That's not significant. It's a valid run. If the slope is more than -1.0 percent, Dragy mentions it as invalid run.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 19th May 2019 at 21:52.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 22:04   #448
BHPian
 
Tarmac.terrorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 165
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
A couple of doubts.

1. In the first picture, on the top, 0-100km/h is shown as 5.20s, but in the table it is shown as 0-100(1ft) - 4.89s. What is the difference between these two numbers? What is 0-100(1ft)?
2. The slope is shown as -0.25%. This is actually a downward slope. Wouldn't this skew the 0-100 results?
1ft timing is with 1ft roll out.
Tarmac.terrorist is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 00:11   #449
BHPian
 
petroguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 461
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Fastest Diesel Car in India ?

E Tuners Stage 1 G30 530D
The car in that picture looks stunning. The G30 in the M-Sport trim hides its bulk very well compared to the F10 that looked rather flabby.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 20th May 2019 at 00:12.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 20:36   #450
BHPian
 
sriramv.iyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 843
Thanked: 734 Times
Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Picked up a 530d in Jan. What a car!

Pros (just a few)
1. Blinding fast. Picks up speed like no other car I have driven. Power delivery is relentless

2. Gizmos - So many of them! I actually use remote parking a lot! Made life comfortable yesterday in a nasty tight parking in 1MG Road Mall in Bangalore.

3. Smooth - 530d thanks to its inline 6 is butter smooth

4. Adaptive suspension setting is uber comfortable


Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post

Cons:-

1. The boot space is terrible thanks to BMW packing a spare wheel behind. I am seriously thinking of checking with them if I can remove the whole setup and get a usable boot. A couple of bags and it is full (It is of course deep, but still not great)

2. Merc C250d that I used to have, had a lot of useful things like hooks in the boot. *VERY* useful for shopping. This doesn't have any

3. Very low ground clearance - Bangalore is extreme case for speed breakers and 530d is a victim. Scrapes a lot

4. L O N G - The car is huge. It hides it dimensions when it moves in open roads, but there is no escaping the size in slow traffic, tight turns, mall parking etc. Prefer to take my bikes / Global Ford Fiesta (2012) when required. The Ford Fiesta still sets benchmark for steering feel and accuracy.


I have mixed feelings about music system - It is reasonably good with a 16 speaker Harman Kardon system. But after listening to music in my wife's car in the US (Mazda 6 GTR with Bose Speakers) I think it is kind of a let down
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks